Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stw2022

I had a dream last night where the Qataris won with a bid of $6.6B (£5.3B). That's probably the best news we're going to get for today.
OT but I genuinely dreamed City were stripped of the FA Cup as someone stood on it in the Royal Box during the celebrations and people weren't happy.

Dreams are consoling at times

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
The Glazers messed up one club because of incompetence. Nations getting invested into football ruin the competitive integrity of the whole sport long-term. Manchester City dominating world football at the moment is down to both smart decision-making and an unlimited amount of money to build something up over 15 years. And they likely cheated their way to it.

Look at it from this perspective: What's the point of a club like Brighton (that has come such a long way in the last 14 years by playing it smart), if long-term the top 3 spots in the PL will be pre-occupied by City, United and Newcastle? Or will eventually every club be begging for a state to save them?

What's the point of Spurs and Atletico Madrid? Both of them made huge progress to get to where they are now since the early 2000s.
Great post

cyberman

The Glazers messed up one club because of incompetence. Nations getting invested into football ruin the competitive integrity of the whole sport long-term. Manchester City dominating world football at the moment is down to both smart decision-making and an unlimited amount of money to build something up over 15 years. And they likely cheated their way to it.

Look at it from this perspective: What's the point of a club like Brighton (that has come such a long way in the last 14 years by playing it smart), if long-term the top 3 spots in the PL will be pre-occupied by City, United and Newcastle? Or will eventually every club be begging for a state to save them?

What's the point of Spurs and Atletico Madrid? Both of them made huge progress to get to where they are now since the early 2000s.
Not saying you’re wrong but you might want to look back at Brighton and see what they did to get to where they are now.

van Nistelrooy

We have to start hearing news of a deal being concluded this week. No excuses no the season is over.

Have we heard which hotel the Glazers were staying at this weekend?

RedDevilUnited369

Qatar's bid is itself all about Qatar. Nothing else. They want United in their portfolio because they're good PR for their dictatorship.

When this is understood (not 'accepted' as it's not an opinion) you soon see 'morality' and indeed 'the politics' are core arguments, and should be directly in the forefront of how this takeover is received.
Why do you think Qatar as a country haven’t produced a bid to blow SJR’s bid out the water?

I really can’t get my head round this and I think it’s a state bid too…

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Look at City celebrating

They themselves know deep inside that no one gives a feck about them and that all the success they get is meaningless. Them, PSG and Newcastle are the bottom of the barrel of football. Boggles the mind how most of our fanbase would be jumping at the opportunity for us to become such a hollow, tainted club like them.
Keep telling yourself that while playing against young boys on a Thursday night. At least you can pat yourself on the back while City carry on winning everything.

AlPistacho

I disagree.

There's no point in buying a multi-billion pound asset like Man. United to just make money off of it. There are loads of smaller investments Ineos could make that are way less riskier to generate profits. Ineos makes a shitload of money, United's potential annual profits (that would require heavily investing into the club) would still be a drop in the bucket to what Ratcliffe's company currently makes within 12 months.

Ratcliffe is on camera saying that "The biggest correlation of success in football is money. Without question."

When he wanted to buy Chelsea, he also said in an interview with the BBC that he wouldn't be buying them for profit.

So it's pretty clear that he wants to win, and no matter who buys the club they will need to invest heavily. It's obvious.

Investing heavily to win on the pitch would instantly make him a way better owner than the Glazers ever were...and whether he is an immoral asshole or not in real life, he's not as powerful as a whole fecking nation with a disgusting penal code.
If investing on the pitch as you and your guy Ratcliffe says is all it took. Then we’d be more successful post SAF under the glazers. Nice after their year buying prem has been would not be a pathetic 9th, Chelsea would be top 2 this year.

While that’s part of it. The rest is strategy. Investment in infrastructure. Remember Man City didn’t get to far when they were spending like headless chickens in 09 -11

AlPistacho

Why do you think Qatar as a country haven’t produced a bid to blow SJR’s bid out the water?

I really can’t get my head round this and I think it’s a state bid too…
Maybe the fact Jassim hasn’t blown Jim out of the water is because it’s an individual bid

Heinzesight

If they were selling to Jim, why all the leaks? Just accept the deal. Constant leaks about SJR being the front runner, details of the deal, what perks the Glazers are being offered...it all smacks as smoke signals to the Qataris as to what they need to do.
Said this all along. Qataris don’t want to be seen as having their pants pulled down and it’s a game of cat and mouse, who blinks first, etc.

That on the register looking cnut Avram, sat there yesterday with his shit eating grin has really fecked me off more than any result.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Maybe the fact Jassim hasn’t blown Jim out of the water is because it’s an individual bid
100% this. I can’t see how anyone still thinks it’s Qatar if they lose. They wouldn’t have lost if it was the state of Qatar.

AlPistacho

100% this. I can’t see how anyone still thinks it’s Qatar if they lose. They wouldn’t have lost if it was the state of Qatar.
That’s the problem. Only if Jassim loses and only if in 2-3 seasons United do a Nice/Lassane will ( you know the type) accept it and realise what United lost out on.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
That’s the problem. Only if Jassim loses and only if in 2-3 seasons United do a Nice/Lassane will ( you know the type) accept it and realise what United lost out on.
It’s going to be like Brexit. The Jim brigade will use all sorts of mental gymnastics while City and Newcastle are winning everything. At least they can have the moral high ground while fighting for top four though.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It’s going to be like Brexit. The Jim brigade will use all sorts of mental gymnastics while City and Newcastle are winning everything. At least they can have the moral high ground while fighting for top four though.
You people always talk as if those of us who prefer INEOS to Qatar are, by the power of our will, bringing that reality to fruition, and thus accountable for the struggles you are fantasising about.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
You people always talk as if those of us who prefer INEOS to Qatar are, by the power of our will, bringing that reality to fruition, and thus accountable for the struggles you are fantasising about.
Not at all but you back Sir Jim. The rest of us can judge how things go in the next few years on that. You would no doubt do the same if Qatar had won.

stw2022

The future we all called for of no debt and no Glazers will be realised with a deal that involves much more debt and the same amount of Glazers.

The spin is going to be very Brexity, isn't it? When people notice this isn't what they bargained for or were promised, just pretend it is.

"I'm glad we have longer queues at airports when I go on holiday now. That's exactly what I voted for"

Herman Toothrot

The point doesn't get better the more often you type it.

DOTA

Not at all but you back Sir Jim. The rest of us can judge how things go in the next few years on that. You would no doubt do the same if Qatar had won.
If Qatar win I am unconcerned about the future of Man Utd.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
The future we all called for of no debt and no Glazers will be realised with a deal that involves much more debt and the same amount of Glazers.

The spin is going to be very Brexity, isn't it? When people notice this isn't what they bargained for or were promised, just pretend it is.

"I'm glad we have longer queues at airports when I go on holiday now. That's exactly what I voted for"
Exactly. If I’m wrong I will be first to hold my hands up but Utd will not compete with Jimmy Brexit. Some fans are happy with mediocrity and battling for top four. They feel morally superior while winning nothing. That’s fair enough.

Tarrou

it's amazing how people have convinced themselves we need Qatar money to compete with City when we've outspent them under the Glazers in recent years

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You can make assumptions based on your biased perspective. You haven’t got a scooby doo what will actually happen.
You cannot ‘judge’ until we’ve had a few seasons under INEOS to gauge how they are performing.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
You can make assumptions based on your biased perspective. You haven’t got a scooby doo what will actually happen.
You cannot ‘judge’ until we’ve had a few seasons under INEOS to gauge how they are performing.
Fair enough. Like I said if I’m wrong I will hold my hands up. I stand by my assumptions though.

Castia

Amazing. And more than a little sad.
Lets take all the money out of the situation, I don't care who's got the highest wealth either Qatar or Jim it's irrelevant.

What has Jim done to make him your preferred owner? genuine question because thus far in terms of his football clubs he's been a complete failure and with him taking over United what in the world makes you think he will be a success when he can't even save his Swiss club from being relegated? I mean without looking at those numbers it must be bare minimum to compete in that league never mind go down.

I believe that we don't need 300m a summer to compete I do think Jim can provide the funds required but in footballing terms he seems like a complete disaster. The club is already a mess I dont see how he comes in and fixes it.

Last edited:

DOTA

Enlighten me.
Investment from billionaire owner. I'm not sure how much and their success story is definitely about more than the money injected but also they wouldn't be where they are without him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
it's amazing how people have convinced themselves we need Qatar money to compete with City when we've outspent them under the Glazers in recent years
I think the worry is Sir Jim has done a less than adequate job with Nice, so the likelihood of us developing a competitive structure under him is perceived small.

whitbyviking

I think the worry is Sir Jim has done a less than adequate job with Nice, so the likelihood of us developing a competitive structure under him is perceived small.
What have this branch of “Qatar“ done to show they can manage a club?

greenoffpearson

It is.

United will become PR for Qatar.

That's it.

If something else already is, or is not, it doesn't change the above fact.
If good PR equates to success on the pitch, redevelopment of the stadium investment on facilities and the surrounding area then there won't be many complaints.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's funny, isn't it?

Qatar are competing on equal footing, business-wise and the Brexit Brigade then laugh at them for it. If they went nuclear and offered £7bn, then the narrative will shift the other way. It's almost like we have some of the Sun writers on here.

Another thing people in the UK/West might also not get is that even if it's an individual bid (with some backing from the Qatar government but not really the same way as City, PSG and Newcastle), people from Qatar will still think of it as a Qatar bid.

They pride themselves on the achievements of their country and countrymen in a way most British people don't associate with their country. Does anyone celebrate because Ratcliffe's (or any other billionaire's) teams win or lose? So there's a bit of cultural misunderstanding and some of these people are very happy to consciously indulge in it, very much in the way the Sun and the Mail push their narrative.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Lets take all the money out of the situation, I don't care who's got the highest wealth either Qatar or Jim it's irrelevant.

What has Jim done to make him your preferred owner? genuine question because thus far in terms of his football clubs he's been a complete failure and with him taking over United what in the world makes you think he will be a success when he can't even save his Swiss club from being relegated? I mean without looking at those numbers it must be bare minimum to compete in that league never mind go down.

I believe that we don't need 300m a summer to compete I do think Jim can provide the funds required but in footballing terms he seems like a complete disaster. The club is already a mess I dont see how he comes in and fixes it.
It’s as simple as not trusting the Qatar bid. I don’t want to be state owned, we should aspire to be better than that. I don’t want our great club mired in all the moral and ethical rubbish this thread is full of.
Lately I find myself questioning whether it really is a state bid as I’m flummoxed by the way Jassim is conducting his bid, and I can’t understand why they don’t just pay up and blow INEOS out of the water. But if it is really a private bid that raises even more questions that we don’t have answers for and probably never will.
Call it risk averse, but INEOS is the ‘safe’ option. They have a track record in sport (good bad or indifferent- it’s something we can benchmark against), I believe they will do things the right way and I think the club will benefit from their input.
As for Nice and Lausanne, I get the criticism but a lot of it is out of context. I also wouldn’t expect United to be appointing Viera as manager or signing Ramsey or Barkley. We will be more ambitious than that.

whitbyviking

It's funny, isn't it?

Qatar are competing on equal footing, business-wise and the Brexit Brigade then laugh at them for it. If they went nuclear and offered £7bn, then the narrative will shift the other way. It's almost like we have some of the Sun writers on here.

Another thing people in the UK/West might also not get is that even if it's an individual bid (with some backing from the Qatar government but not really the same way as City, PSG and Newcastle), people from Qatar will still think of it as a Qatar bid.

They pride themselves on the achievements of their country and countrymen in a way most British people don't associate with their country. Does anyone celebrate because Ratcliffe's (or any other billionaire's) teams win or lose? So there's a bit of cultural misunderstanding and some of these people are very happy to consciously indulge in it, very much in the way the Sun and the Mail push their narrative.
I think you’ll find that pretty much everyone who disagrees with the Qatar bid does so for moral reasons, so your last snide comment displays a gross misunderstanding of something you claim to understand.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
It's funny, isn't it?

It does feel very Jimmy Brexit with his supporters. They vehemently don’t want a foreign entity owning the club but happy to ignore Jimmys sins. Very strange.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think you’ll find that pretty much everyone who disagrees with the Qatar bid does so for moral reasons, so your last snide comment displays a gross misunderstanding of something you claim to understand.
If it's a private bid, what exactly are your moral 'reasons', my guy? Please explain because a lot of you here make some vague statements and think that's some PhD level philosophy.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Individual bid or not, I find it hard to believe Qatar would sit on the sidelines and watch it fail when being so strongly linked to it and after all the debate revolving around them, not an individual.

State ownership? It's already a thing I'm afraid, it's here to stay and now par for the course. I'd rather it wasn't, but shit happened.

INEOS? Are they different to the Glazers really? They'll get debt to buy a sufficient number of shares to get control. That means injecting funds for additional investments is problematic. It just sounds to me like a more convoluted Glazers 2.0 at a higher ticket, ergo higher debt servicing. Feck them.

Status
Not open for further replies.