Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think leeches dad had 29% and needed the CM shares as they had about the same percent, to buy the club, If I remember correctly. Look up Rock of Gibralta story. Fergie came across as a greedy bastard and this led to the rift which eventually led to the sale.
Thing is, how could he possibly have predicted what was to follow?

I’m assuming that this site was up and running in 2005, were there many posters warning against the takeover? I genuinely can’t remember.

Chairman Steve

They have no idea what the feck they’re doing. They see money and that’s it. They have no understanding of football and they don’t want to know, even after almost 20 years. You can’t get too many worse owners of a sports team than that. I’ve never seen Joel Glazer say the words Manchester United ever.

They think throwing money at it makes problems go away. Woodward would not have been anywhere near the football side of things under anyone else, but because he helped get them in with the ridiculous, now illegal takeover method, he was their point man to football and obviously he’s got an ego to think he can run it all by himself.

Pes6Monster

I think leeches dad had 29% and needed the CM shares as they had about the same percent, to buy the club, If I remember correctly. Look up Rock of Gibralta story. Fergie came across as a greedy bastard and this led to the rift which eventually led to the sale.
The problem with it is with timelines.

The Glazers began aggressively buying shares in about 2001.

Fergie's legal action was eventually settled out of court in about 2004. It took a whole year for Cubic to sell their shares to the Glazers, who had by then taken over as the primary shareholder and they were zeroing in on the others.

Furthermore, when countersuing Ferguson (please do not forget the sheer stupidity of their infamous '99 question' AGM), Cubic invested into more shares. Hardly the actions of people who 'wanted out', is it?

The reason Cubic sold up is the same greed which brought them to the club. There was no 'working relationship' to speak of. They got a whiff of hard cash, realised their race was run and acted accordingly.

The Glazers are to blame for the Glazers.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

They have no idea what the feck they’re doing. They see money and that’s it. They have no understanding of football and they don’t want to know, even after almost 20 years. You can’t get too many worse owners of a sports team than that. I’ve never seen Joel Glazer say the words Manchester United ever.

They think throwing money at it makes problems go away. Woodward would not have been anywhere near the football side of things under anyone else, but because he helped get them in with the ridiculous, now illegal takeover method, he was their point man to football and obviously he’s got an ego to think he can run it all by himself.
i actually think a younger Malcom would have eventually got a grip of Woodward wasting so much of the clubs money. He built their wealth, so had a concept of value.

Chairman Steve

i actually think a younger Malcom would have eventually got a grip of Woodward wasting so much of the clubs money. He built their wealth, so had a concept of value.
That’s my thoughts as well. I think Malcolm Glazer would have been a better owner of the club if he wasn’t almost 80 years old and pretty much retired when the takeover happened. He was the face of it but it seemed like it was a family thing. He seemed to be someone who made something of himself, his offspring rode his coattails and I don’t think they’re as good as he was.

Arent the other businesses formerly lead by Malcolm (and now the children) supposedly failing and stagnating the past decade or so?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

I’m assuming that this site was up and running in 2005, were there many posters warning against the takeover? I genuinely can’t remember.
I wasn't on here at the time but pretty much every fan was against the takeover. Every fan I spoke to at the match around the time said the current mess would happen but very few saw that incredible success between 2006 and 2013. .

RopersReturn

A drop in share values as happened last week, might persuade even force the turd bros to start listening again, albeit hopefully!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A drop in share values as happened last week, might persuade even force the turd bros to start listening again, albeit hopefully!
Share price doesn’t mean shit. They’re aren’t raising from the stock exchange.
They already rejected bids of £5bn. It means the club is worth at least that, no matter what the share price says.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
This guy was chatting absolute shit on the takeover in 2005. How is he still getting airtime. Long proven bullshitter who was banned on here at one point.
If i remember rightly, didn't he know a couple of people at the club and thought that he had complete inside knowledge and full on sources?
I'm sure he knew SOME people connected to the club, but he was always bullshitting for sure

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
That’s my thoughts as well. I think Malcolm Glazer would have been a better owner of the club if he wasn’t almost 80 years old and pretty much retired when the takeover happened. He was the face of it but it seemed like it was a family thing. He seemed to be someone who made something of himself, his offspring rode his coattails and I don’t think they’re as good as he was.

Arent the other businesses formerly lead by Malcolm (and now the children) supposedly failing and stagnating the past decade or so?
So essentially the remaining Glazers are like the Roy family once Logan died. However, in this universe they got to keep the businesses.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Share prices don't bother them week to week unless it is an unmitigated rout I am talking about 60%+ drops.

The Glazers won't be thinking month to month or even year to year. What they think about is the security of the stock in the long term. By this I mean decades. For them, the question isn't, is 5Bill a good value today? The question is, if we take the 5Bill now, what other investment will we put it into and will that investment have the security/stability of owning Utd and/or better growth opportunities?

TBH, I was surprised they put the club up for sale. Sports 'franchises' as they would call them, are one of the most secure investment vehicles as, especially with such an established team like Utd, you have a locked in customer base for generations.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I would advise all people to be patient in this game. Trajectory of a club with Glazers staying is clearly downward and relative strength of the brand is decreasing. We will know more about the fate of Manchester United in the incoming months or couple of years.

Glazers are somewhat backed into a corner. United is a ticking time bomb. This club will completely fall of the wheels and reach eventual relegation/bankruptcy/administration with Glazers and their incompetence/business model or it will be repaired and start to rise again.

They can't really borrow any more money, they don't have the cash or willingness to invest into the club themselves. Old Trafford and Carrington need urgent, serious investment, overall debt is getting into unsustainable, enourmous amount. We are reaching the end game. Either Titanic-like collapse and tragedy of an institution like Manchester United was/is or some form of a rebirth, redefinition.

No matter how much you love this club, don't let these grotesque, pathologically greedy goblins/orcs ruin your mood and provide you with stress for much longer. Don't be so emotionally invested(for now, in the Glazer Apocalypse era) in the club. There are other, far more important things in life than football. Don't even visit/open this thread often, it's mostly futile(gives you disappointment and false hope most of the time) and it gets addictive, I know.

Be patient, and observe the chaos which will unfold, at least relatively soon. Cheers.
Think your over egging the pudding, They could keep do patch jobs at old Trafford and Carrington for the next decade, We still have the income to pretty much be the biggest net spender in world football, even if we reduce the spending a bit (and we probably should) its enough to keep a solid squad in and around the top 4.

The Glazers have no desperate need to sell, if the don't get an offer they like now, and they clearly haven't they can just re think for a few years and probably get similar offers if they want to.

Zora

This guy was chatting absolute shit on the takeover in 2005. How is he still getting airtime. Long proven bullshitter who was banned on here at one point.
Agree. I don't quite understand what it is this guy actually does? He's got a podcast which is amateur hour with a terrible audio mix - like he's filming himself on a Windows 98 laptop. But who is he?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Think your over egging the pudding, They could keep do patch jobs at old Trafford and Carrington for the next decade, We still have the income to pretty much be the biggest net spender in world football, even if we reduce the spending a bit (and we probably should) its enough to keep a solid squad in and around the top 4.

The Glazers have no desperate need to sell, if the don't get an offer they like now, and they clearly haven't they can just re think for a few years and probably get similar offers if they want to.
Not sure if this is true. When the loans have to be refinanced, the rate would be punitive.

This breaks the leeches' model of running us in fumes. I cannot see anything but a sale within 2 years or a terminal decline in the club's fortunes.

Moriarty

I haven't the foggiest idea about posters, but I do know that there were protests about the leveraged buyout on a large scale in Manchester. The Glazers were never wanted yet they were allowed in. If the average United fan could see that dumping a huge amount of debt on the club was not a very good idea, how could those in charge not see it? 'Debt is the road to ruin' said one illustrious member of the club, though he's walked that back since. The British government that blocked Murdoch from buying United, allowed a malignant ginger-headed dwarf with a history of contentious litigation to waltz right in.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I looked up the story, but it seems the Glazers intended on buying the club regardless, and the rift just led to it happening sooner. Additionally, I don't think you can call it greed if he believed he had rights to profits from selling the horse. You can call the Mangiers greedy as well.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Genuinely think the period of our history between 2001 and 2005 would make for a fascinating documentary one day. Some of what was happening behind the scenes at that point massively shaped the club's future.

Fergie rowing with Mangier and Mcmanus ultimately led to the Glazer's taking over but the path arguably started in 2001. Imagine how different things would have been if Fergie had quit/retired at this point like it was suggested in this random match report from the end of 2000/2001. Not as much success between that 2001 and 2013 but probably no Glazers and the club would be in a much better position.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1338557.stm
6 less PL titles and one CL. I'd say keeping him was a good decision.

The Glazers were probably still going to end up buying the club.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Malcolm made his fortune in commercial real estate prior to buying the Buccaneers and later United. That's taken a bit of a beating in recent years, especially as they owned a lot of shopping malls but it looks like they still going and acquiring newer properties.

Malcom also invested his fortune in a diverse number of other business but it doesn't seem they retain any interest in them as the only reference to the old man's company is as a real estate holding company.

croadyman

I would advise all people to be patient in this game. Trajectory of a club with Glazers staying is clearly downward and relative strength of the brand is decreasing. We will know more about the fate of Manchester United in the incoming months or couple of years.

Glazers are somewhat backed into a corner. United is a ticking time bomb. This club will completely fall of the wheels and reach eventual relegation/bankruptcy/administration with Glazers and their incompetence/business model or it will be repaired and start to rise again.

They can't really borrow any more money, they don't have the cash or willingness to invest into the club themselves. Old Trafford and Carrington need urgent, serious investment, overall debt is getting into unsustainable, enourmous amount. We are reaching the end game. Either Titanic-like collapse and tragedy of an institution like Manchester United was/is or some form of a rebirth, redefinition.

No matter how much you love this club, don't let these grotesque, pathologically greedy goblins/orcs ruin your mood and provide you with stress for much longer. Don't be so emotionally invested(for now, in the Glazer Apocalypse era) in the club. There are other, far more important things in life than football. Don't even visit/open this thread often, it's mostly futile(gives you disappointment and false hope most of the time) and it gets addictive, I know.

Be patient, and observe the chaos which will unfold, at least relatively soon. Cheers.

Will just be watching matches but with no prospects of improvement off the field then

greenoffpearson

I think the most telling part of the equation is the dynamic between the siblings.

Once Malcolm died they started cashing in on United.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...d-sale-glazer-family-timeline-1234723124/amp/

What is interesting is that they may have jointly cashed in at various points but other siblings have been keener to sell shares.

I remember Sam People (?) on United People's TV (YouTube) saying that even Darcie guaranteed a mortgage with her United shares.This seems to suggest that although they are wealthy, they are asset rich not cash rich.

Presumably, obviously I don't know this, as you get wealthier your necessities become more expensive etc.

Also they are currently being starved of dividends, from United, money they need to keep their personal shows running.

In summary they have cashed in their shares to the point that there is little to sell before they start losing their dominant shareholding position, the carrot/control they can dangle to a buyer to demand more than other shareholders. Without dividends, on which they have relied, they must be feeling the pinch.

Finally we can speculate, but Sir Jim and Jassim must know the Glazer cash flow to the last cent.

Last edited:

putzmcgee123

Hearing news that a Premier League club was sold: :)

Finding out it was not Manchester United: :(

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

There were a lot of posters on here dead against it. Some that gave up their lifelong support over it.

JagUTD

There was a huge reaction to it at the time. A new club was formed in protest of the takeover.

In all the time they have owned us, the closest thing to a positive review of the Glazer family from a United fan is that it could have been worse. Which says a lot. And that's the people some wpukdrefer to as Glazer apologists

I wonder how many posters from 2005 are still active on here today. Though I think the site actually goes back to the 90s which is quite something and means it's outlasted some very well funded, popular forums and even social media platforms.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
"From what I understand" already the end of the conversation.
It's a perfectly normal thing to say - as opposed to saying something is 100% definite, you can always say something to the effect of "from what we understand.." or "sources are saying..." or "our reporting has been that....".

Yorke to Cole

The latest thrust of news is coming from INEOS side of things, going by the references this week. Ratcliffe "failure is unthinkable," and he has rebuffed the request to allow them rights to vote etc..

Perhaps he is the "preferred bidder" without having the declaration of "the preferred bidder status" stage?

I stick by what I say, if Jassim wants to win this, he will have to go in again.

Dr. StrangeHate

Pellestri and Garnacho for 10 minutes only when we are chasing 3 goals. ETH definitely not helping himself.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Well, at this point, I want us to miss the CL next season. Seems like we're not being sold any time soon if any modicum of respect is retained by this once football club that's just a vehicle for some cnuts from across the ocean to earn money

Status
Not open for further replies.