Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah I have seen that as well,think we could really do with someone who can shed light on how he is currently running Nice
Found it!

I definitely do not want Ratcliffe buying Man Utd.

This is what i found on Reddit about his ownership of French club and it does not make a good reading.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is what a French flair on r/soccer said last time the Ratcliffe news popped up.

You should look at what they are doing with the football club they currently own. Their methods may work in lesser sports, but they have zero knowledge about football and they lack the humility to realize it.

Brailsford has apparently taken a liking to being a sporting director, but he's completely out of his depth and it shows in Nice.

And another comment

Every interview with sports directors who've left the team is the same retelling of how Brailsford (the baldy) hires smart people with huge wads of money, those people make smart decisions, then Dave gets into one of his nervous panics, decides he knows better demands they do everything differently and things fall apart

But at least in football there's no doping questions to literally run away from, like he did with that journalist in 2015

This is a comment about another club he/INEOS owns.

He (or rather his company INEOS) also own Swiss side Lausanne Sport and they're absolutely shit now. They've basically been (ab)used as a loan farm for OGC Nice players. They had absolutely no strategic vision for the club. They've transformed more and more into a plastic club without any true identity. Last season they got relegated despite some fairly hefty investments made by INEOS over the years. It's quite surprising given that other clubs manage to stay in the Swiss top flight despite far lower budgets

We're heading into recession. No one going to pay 6bil to buy a football club
People with billions don’t give a monkies about a recession, often enough they end up as a lovely redistribution of wealth to the richest. Elon Musk literally just spunked tens of billions on a company he has no idea what to do with & that often makes big losses.

A debt free United whilst not the most profitable business is something of a cash cow and as sure as thing as you can get to a rock solid one at that.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
No chance the Glazers will sell as low as £2.5-3bn, they know what they have and how to extract the most value from their products. I would say around £4-5bn and the debt cleared to be more realistic. Would love whoever it is to come in and commence stadium redevelopment or the possibility of a new stadium as one of the first priorities. On the pitch we can still back Ten Hag as there will be a lot more money available from not having to pay dividends and loan repayments so recruitment will be fine.
Can a potential buyer spend whatever money of their own on infrastructure? Or does this break FFP rules?
I think there is a infrastucture exception/deduction in FFP calculation

Heinzesight

I thought those maps showed the opposite. There is enough room to build a new stadium next to the current one and then knock old Trafford down. There was a lot of discussion about that when we had the last announcement about stadium improvements.
I know it sounds typical ITK but a lad I know who really is ITK :lol: assures me that the possibility of building a new stadium is a complete non-starter and it’s a Bernabeu type job that has already been costed, planned, designed, etc and is in place ready to go once someone (our new owners hopefully) gives the nod.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Hopefully there's a rich conglomerate willing to buy us rather than some filthy rich oil baron or single billionaire. But the club and let it run itself completely without being complete leeches.

Chances are low though

Red00012

Utd can be run competitively off its own revenue. Even if dubai buys us they wont be injecting endless pits of cash like city.

They just need to wipe off the debt and appoint footballing people to run the club.
The debt will be wiped by the sale by the Glazers

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Jets haven’t won their division since 2002 so not sure I would consider that not too long ago. The Broncos lost the best owner in football a couple years ago and are now owned by Waltons. I think that makes every CO sports team other than the Rockies bought with WalMart money.… and so far the only Championship we have enjoyed is with the Avs and that’s the team they don’t give a shit about, had to take them in order to get the Nuggets.

I just hope United get an owner with more the mentality of Bowlen and less Kronke… but that’s rare nowadays, sports teams seam to be thought of more an ATM machine than a passion.
Winning your division isn't the single the single thing making a team fairly good, the Jets have been in the same division than arguably the best head coach and probably QB of all time. They were a good team around 2010 and remained around .500 until the mid 2010. The Broncos decline predates the change in ownership it was under "the best owners in football" and I'm not actually sure from Walton when the Broncos were officially purchased this summer.

And Kroenke is an awful owner disliked by nearly every fanbase of the franchises he owns.

arthurka

Elon Musk started computer programing and invented how we today read «live» newspapers online. Then invented paypal and had to sell and got 160m dollars. Then Tesla and so on. You might not like the guy but he is a genious
:lol:

Ok then I will up the ante, he invented space travel and the light speed too..

Manncunian

I know it sounds typical ITK but a lad I know who really is ITK :lol: assures me that the possibility of building a new stadium is a complete non-starter and it’s a Bernabeu type job that has already been costed, planned, designed, etc and is in place ready to go once someone (our new owners hopefully) gives the nod.
How can anyone possibly be ITK about what people who do not yet own the club will do :lol:?

Or was your post sarcasm?

dal

Wtf $10.6 billion, dubai have there advisors they can’t pay that much unless they want it as a prize.

One thing is for sure it won’t be going to Jim Ratcliffe, I can’t say I’d be that happy either as he’s quite old and who takes it on after him.

City’s owners have done well, if Dubai ran it the same way I’d be happy but I expect the price to be no more than £5 billion which is still ludicrous.

If they got $10 billion that would probably be 100 times their initial equity which I guess was less than £100 million

red thru&thru

Not true, obviously not Abu Dhabi rich but rich none the less and it would be a consortium so they would easily pool together enough money to do this. Look at Emirates, Dubai owned. They have no issues buying naming rights all over and spending money. They aren’t in it for milking funds so nothing like the Glazers and out of all the oil states Dubai is the least conservative and open minded so I wouldn’t oppose it.
Personally, I'm torn between the morality of it all. Because of that I don't think I'll comment much about who should and should not buy us, bar the two Indian guy's I've mentioned in earlier posts.

However, Dubai would be a good option. Look at what they have done to their own country. Now, imagine bringing that business acumen and infrastructure to United? We would be where we should be...amongst the elite!

Green Arrow

I cannot believe this is happening after 17 years of these wretched owners they are finally going! Although who buys us now is the next big question. We need someone who can invest in the club and structure and not take money out.

stepic

Elon Musk started computer programing and invented how we today read «live» newspapers online. Then invented paypal and had to sell and got 160m dollars. Then Tesla and so on. You might not like the guy but he is a genious
yeah he didn't invent paypal. paypal was the successor of a company called confinity which was created by max levchin, peter thiel, and luke nosek.

he didn't invent tesla either by the way.

red thru&thru

yeah he didn't invent paypal. paypal was the successor of a company called confinity which was created by max levchin, peter thiel, and luke nosek.

he didn't invent tesla either by the way.
Elon is very good at riding on the back of something someone else has created.

As a poster said above, if he bought United, he'd say he's invented football!

Cloud7

Wild that after all these years we might actually be getting rid of the Glazers. Seems surreal. I'll find it difficult to believe until it actually happens though.

stepic

Elon is very good at riding on the back of something someone else has created.

As a poster said above, if he bought United, he'd say he's invented football!
haha yup.

funny thing is, when confinity merged with x.com, musk was initially made ceo, but was booted within a year. he was clearly a toolbag back then too.

DrogaPortoroz

It will go for more than 6b. People are not aware how big Man United is around the world. And this is once in the life oportunity to own it.

Abizzz

Glazers are really going to make billions after years of mismanagement and neglect to invest in infrastructure :lol:

I can't think of anyone with 5 billion (let alone 10) to spend that I would really welcome.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I work with public M&A and have a few thoughts on what is going on here, that I think are indisputable:

*”As part of this process, the Board will consider all strategic alternatives, including new investment into the club, a sale, or other transactions involving the Company.

What does this means?
(a) Look, the board has a fiduciary duty to act in the way that is best for all shareholders. If there is a sale of the club, there will be litigation in the US. If they sold the shares of the club — and someone sues them saying ‘you lost us money by not selling off the assets instead’, the board will be deemed negligible if it can’t show that they acted “with the care that an ordinarily prudent person in a like position would exercise under similar circumstances”. That includes not just ruling out options without looking into them.

I.e. it is perfectly possible that they are looking to sell 100% of close to 100% of the shares.

This is what the entire first half of the PR is about:
“We will evaluate all options … Throughout this process we will remain fully focused on serving the best interests of our fans, shareholders, and various stakeholders.”

(b) We are dealing with the Glazers here, they won’t waste money if they don’t have to.

If the Glazers want to explore selling their shares and hence wants to sign top financial and legal advisors — who pays the retainer? The Glazsers can’t ask the financial advisor to send the bill to the Club.

With this mission for the financial advisor, they are acting on behalf of the club and Glazers won’t be picking up the bill.

*Could the new buyer be worse than the Glazers?

I don’t know the answer to that, of course. But it’s not 2005 anymore, where football clubs weren’t seen as investments and the sale of our club to the Glazers was perhaps not handled properly.

What I do know is this — the offers to buy the club will 100% be established against the background of what a buyer think can be justified against economical data or other concerns. Since there of course will be plenty of interested buyers, as a result, the highest bid will come from the buyer who sees the brightest future for Manchester United financially, which in its turn can motivate the highest price tag. At worst. There could of course always come in a buyer looking for an alibi, expensive toy or whatever.

The Glazers brought a club that — from a financial POV — was ‘decline proof’ for what a decade and a half. We are United, one of the the biggest club in the world. But this will not continue if the club remains outside all real competitions for titles for another 17 years or whatever. Slowly but surely our position in the football world is eroding. And it can get a lot worse fast. Under the Glazers, we haven’t contended for the title [since SAF left] really, but we been in and out of the Champions league, been the runner up for the title and so forth. There is no guarantee that we will become a CL team over the coming 10 years.

Hence, our club — for a new buyer — is anything but decline proof. This buyer could 100% buy one of the biggest clubs in the world and in 15 years time he looking to sell a mediocre PL team with a great history.

As a consequence, I personally think it’s very very likely that a new buyer will be looking to invest in the club. I just cannot imagine a scenario where a buyer — who will be the one entity that sees the brightest future for the team — will be someone who won’t look to invest in the club.

*What is the time frame?

The market is very very sour right now. There are no guarantees for any deal to get made fast.

For the Glazers to sell of their holdings of shares in United — it could be done fast. Could take a month. But that does not include a proper vendor auction process. It’s someone calling them up asking for a number, being given one, and then acting on it instantly.

A more likely scenario is Q1 2023. I think that is what they are aiming for. Q2 2023 could also be an option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.