Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Terrible journalism in that case, which is odd given that they are usually reliable.
I highly suspect that many journalists jumped on his Wikipedia page which was full of nonsense. Such has the statement that he owns PSG.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Has anyone figured out what the source of the money is in the Qatari bid given that the son clearly isn't remotely wealthy enough on his own to buy United and yet he rather flamboyantly boasts it will buy the club outright and invest in new stadium infrastructure. And yet there's little to no credible information on who is behind the so called Nine Two Foundation.
Though I don't doubt the state is probably involved in this, you can't really estimate the net worth of gas/oil and industry tycoons. Forbes lists and such generally hold for companies with stocks and assets you have to declare.

Saudis for instance don't have to declare their assets and we have no idea how much they are worth

Bogga

Of course we care about the plans the new owner has... like new stadium or freshening up OT, investment in the training grounds, investment in both mens and womens teams and so on. But is there any reason for the Glazers to care about that or is the bid to buy them out the only thing that's important to them?

alexthelion

I don't get the need to play games like this. Obviously I think what I do because I think that is better for the club, why pretend I'm saying anything different?

Obviously you disagree with me about what United should be, and that's fine.
Destroying the club is better for it?

That's a new one :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Though I don't doubt the state is probably involved in this, you can't really estimate the net worth of gas/oil and industry tycoons. Forbes lists and such generally hold for companies with stocks and assets you have to declare.

Saudis for instance don't have to declare their assets and we have no idea how much they are worth
I'm sure it will be revealed in time once the Qatari bid is scrutinized a lot more beyond the brief statement that was released last week. At that point, we will know how much the so called Nine Two Foundation is actually state sponsored dark money.

UDontMessWith24

Well said. Gotta give you some credit for this.

Always had this stance and I didn’t exactly express it delicately in the homophobia in football thread. My stance here has never been that I’m getting ready to throw a party if we end up under Qatari ownership.

alexthelion

If it was a genuinely private bidder then I would support this bid but I just don't buy it for a second, how is the chairman of a bank with revenues of $2bn making so much that he can make a $4.5bn offer with more money to clear the debts and invest in the infrastructure with no strings attached? If they're not being honest about where the money is coming from (and I don't believe they are being honest) then how can we trust that we won't end up in the same trouble for circumventing the rules that City are potentially in?
Have they actually said where the money will come from? Not seen anything myself.

Vapor trail

I know he touched on the Glazers but why weren't the criteria of these posts made during the countless years of ownership ? Why all of a sudden is the moral compass thrown into question when United have some of the worst business owners in sport. The biggest club in England and one of the biggest global sport attractions acquired with leveraged financials and not once has Delaney, the Athletic etc made consistent statements to ridicule the owners.

These journalists had no issue having contacts with members of staff during the periods of United's inconsistency, they monetized the clubs disorder having absolutely no issues having their mutual networks to publicize their media thus making articles about player feelings, dressing room antics that they obtained through leaks, managerial unrest etc and negativity now all of a sudden they care enough about the perception of United as it's a golden standard in sport.

Castia

Delaney going hard

Works for a paper that's partly owned by Saudi!

fecking hypocrite

City praised for years in the PL, little to no pushback against Saudi buying Newcastle right after they publicly murdered a journalist but as soon as United are involved it's the biggest hit to humanity....please

cyberman

I'm sure it will be revealed in time once the Qatari bid is scrutinized a lot more beyond the brief statement that was released last week. At that point, we will know how much the so called Nine Two Foundation is actually state sponsored dark money.
How? What powers do you think UEFA or the EPL have?
also, do you think the Nine Two Foundation isn’t called the Nine Two Foundation? Why’s it so called?!

RORY65

The Premier League decided that PIF was separate from the Saudi state despite it being a sovereign wealth fund, presumably the Premier League don't know what "sovereign" means. This is particularly ridiculous given that they are now trying to avoid handing over information to the US courts regarding LIV golf by arguing that they are an “organ and integral part of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia” and thus protected by the Foreign Sovereign Immunity Act.

There's no way that they or UEFA will block this even if we all know it is the state, the bigger question mark is whether it's the bid the Glazer's go for although it surely will be given that they can blow everyone else out of the water.

Member 125398

I know he touched on the Glazers but why weren't the criteria of these posts made during the countless years of ownership ? Why all of a sudden is the moral compass thrown into question when United have some of the worst business owners in sport. The biggest club in England and one of the biggest global sport attractions acquired with leveraged financials and not once has Delaney, the Athletic etc made consistent statements to ridicule the owners.

These journalists had no issue having contacts with members of staff during the periods of United's inconsistency, they had no issues having their mutual networks to publicize their media thus making articles about player feelings, dressing room antics that they obtained through leaks etc.
There's been loads of coverage about the Glazers and fan protests over the years. We could have done with more but it's not correct to say it's been ignored.

Dion

Sorry, but no true fan would ever want their club to go into bankruptcy.
When the alternative is becoming a plaything of a state it is. I've been a United fan over 30 years, a season ticket holder for more than a decade of that pre-Glazer. I'd rather turn out for a phoenix club than a tool of the Qatari state. It's not even close.

MDFC Manager

Teja

Delaney going hard
I don't understand why Ratcliffe can't put out something like this. Assuming debt is not a concern and we're allowed to run using our revenues, I think most people would prefer that over Qatari ownership.

The narrative instantly flips. I even believe we can build a stadium using the club's revenues instead of relying on a sugardaddy bailout.

Right now I'd rather have Qatar because they're better for the long term health of the club.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
also, do you think the Nine Two Foundation isn’t called the Nine Two Foundation? Why’s it so called?!
Because it doesn’t exist. It is a vehicle that will be entirely created to distance the state from ownership of the club whilst channeling state funding in.

Member 125398

Read this article Delaney wrote about the prospect of Saudi Arabia buying United.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...st-buy-club-mohammad-bin-salman-a8586866.html

Then read his latest hand-wringing drivel about the Qatar bid.

And then store that away as a great example of what a hypocritical idiot looks like.
What am I missing? This is an article assessing the potential for something to happen and the one in the tweet was an opinion piece on something that's likely going to happen.

RORY65

Read this article Delaney wrote about the prospect of Saudi Arabia buying United.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...st-buy-club-mohammad-bin-salman-a8586866.html

Then read his latest hand-wringing drivel about the Qatar bid.

And then store that away as a great example of what a hypocritical idiot looks like.
In fairness he wrote this when Newcastle were being bought: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...takeover-latest-staveley-ashley-a9468236.html
The article you've linked was explaining why they might want to buy United, not an article about the ramifications of such a bid. Newcastle fans did this shit for 18 months, claiming that journalists were only criticising the takeover because it was them and making themselves out to the big victims of some conspiracy or agenda, let's avoid this nonsense.

TsuWave

I even believe we can build a stadium using the club's revenues instead of relying on a sugardaddy bailout.
How much money do you think a top of the line stadium costs and how much money do you think United makes?

romufc

How much money do you think a top of the line stadium costs and how much money do you think United makes?
Reported figure is 2bn for stadium, United currently have 600m debt and 20m in bank as Cash.

We do not make £2bn, no way. If you look at the dividends Glazers take, 11m a year.

We also still owe 300m of previous transfer fees.

UDontMessWith24

Delaney iirc has written a few highly critical articles about the Glazers, but I do get a sense that a lot of the shock and horror regarding this take over from outside our own fan base is simply people that don’t want the vacation from us being dominant to end. It shouldn’t extend to journalists but that’s the nature of sports media in 2023.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Top of the line? Probably 2 billions and there is no way the club can finance it without reducing it's current expenses for nearly a decade and a good chunk of the bill won't be paid yet.

hobbers

What am I missing? This is an article assessing the potential for something to happen and the one in the tweet was an opinion piece on something that's likely going to happen.
A Qatari state takeover would be an "English football travesty", in his personal view, but he managed to write a whole article about Saudi Arabia taking over United without a single negative element.

In his piece about the Newcastle takeover he just hides behind loads of quotes from other people, without any of the doom-mongering.

Which of course all fits in with the timeline of Saudi Arabia acquiring a 30% stake in his paper in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.