Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

I even believe we can build a stadium using the club's revenues instead of relying on a sugardaddy bailout.
brother, I hope these replies paint a picture of how crazy that sounds, because it is the reason why I asked you what I asked you:

Reported figure is 2bn for stadium, United currently have 600m debt and 20m in bank as Cash.

We do not make £2bn, no way. If you look at the dividends Glazers take, 11m a year.

We also still owe 300m of previous transfer fees.
Top of the line? Probably 2 billions and there is no way the club can finance it without reducing it's current expenses for nearly a decade and a good chunk of the bill won't be paid yet.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
brother, I hope these replies paint a picture of how crazy that sounds, because it is the reason why I asked you what I asked you:
By the way 2 billions isn't actually top of the line and isn't for a +75k stadium. As an example the SoFi stadium which is often considered as the top of the line stadium in the world, it costs 4-5 billions dollars.

hobbers

I even believe we can build a stadium using the club's revenues instead of relying on a sugardaddy bailout.
No that would be categorically impossible.

We already have £500m debt. £300m owed in future transfer fees. A new stadium would cost £2-3bn. An overhaul of OT probably approaching £1bn.

Either a new owner finances it, or a new owner borrows money from ie Goldmann Sachs to do it, a la Spurs. The Glazers don't want to, and wouldn't be able to, raise the finances for it.

Member 125398

A Qatari state takeover would be an "English football travesty", in his personal view, but he managed to write a whole article about Saudi Arabia taking over United without a single negative element.

In his piece about the Newcastle takeover he just hides behind loads of quotes from other people, without any of the doom-mongering.

Which of course all fits in with the timeline of Saudi Arabia acquiring a 30% stake in his paper in 2017.
He is correct about this, it would. It seems a bit crazy to take a position that you can't agree with someone about one thing if you disagree about something else.

Telsim

I don't understand why Ratcliffe can't put out something like this. Assuming debt is not a concern and we're allowed to run using our revenues, I think most people would prefer that over Qatari ownership.

The narrative instantly flips. I even believe we can build a stadium using the club's revenues instead of relying on a sugardaddy bailout.

Right now I'd rather have Qatar because they're better for the long term health of the club.
We absolutely cannot do that. The club will have to take on a new debt of upwards of 2bn Euro to build a new stadium on it's own, probably even more. Even just a renovation of the existing one could easily cost anywhere between 300M to 800M Euro, depending on the scope. Real Madrid spent almost a billion. And remember - Ratcliffe isn't clearing the already withstanding debt.

We can't build a new stadium without bankrupting the club.

TsuWave

By the way 2 billions isn't actually top of the line and isn't for a +75k stadium. As an example the SoFi stadium which is often considered as the top of the line stadium in the world, it costs 4-5 billions dollars.
Yeah, Spurs' stadium sits like 65K IIRC and it reportedly cost upwards of a £1B, so to have people in this thread suggesting United can build a new stadium with the club's revenue is wild. In the same season, we signed Wout Weghorst as a loanee because the purse only had moths and flies. Crazy

macheda14

And did all the morally outraged boycott the World Cup? Or were they in fact cheering on England in the quarter final despite their principals?
Well that's an ad hominem, people's hypocrisy does not diminish the validity of their argument. Was I against the World Cup for valid reasons? Yes. Did I still watch it? Yes. Do I think Man United being owned by the Qataris is problematic again for valid reasons? Yes. Will I still watch them and support them? Yes.

cyberman

Because it doesn’t exist. It is a vehicle that will be entirely created to distance the state from ownership of the club whilst channeling state funding in.
Why wouldn’t it exist? Will it pretend to give money away to charity?

Teja

How much money do you think a top of the line stadium costs and how much money do you think United makes?
Top of the line? Probably 2 billions and there is no way the club can finance it without reducing it's current expenses for nearly a decade and a good chunk of the bill won't be paid yet.
No that would be categorically impossible.

We already have £500m debt. £300m owed in future transfer fees. A new stadium would cost £2-3bn. An overhaul of OT probably approaching £1bn.

Either a new owner finances it, or a new owner borrows money from ie Goldmann Sachs to do it, a la Spurs. The Glazers don't want to, and wouldn't be able to, raise the finances for it.
Ack, thanks, the Caf UI won't let me quote people for some reason but you're right. I thought that the Spurs stadium cost 1bn? I was using that as the baseline.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgar...will-be-the-last-of-its-kind/?sh=6d73eeb9b5bf

I was assuming our existing 1bn in debt gets wiped away and we take another 1bn loan for the stadium.

romufc

Yeah, Spurs' stadium sits like 65K IIRC and it reportedly cost upwards of a £1B, so to have people in this thread suggesting United can build a new stadium with the club's revenue is wild. In the same season, we signed Wout Weghorst as a loanee because the purse only had moths and flies. Crazy
I think people think we are making billions of profit a year.

We have the good turnover but our wage is one of the highest in the league.

Imagine the club couldn't afford money, people blaming the Glazers for not spending, they didn't take dividend this January, yet the same fans are saying we can afford to compete and build a stadium with the clubs money?

Also fans need to realise this is not 2008, transfer fees were not the same then, other clubs did not have the money. We could go to other PL clubs and pick up the best young talents for 30/40m and bully teams, now we are looking at 100m. We couldn't even attract Haaland and Jude Bellingham to the club. People need to wake up, the PL 10th place club is spending money, relegation clubs are spending 100m a season.

hobbers

He is correct about this, it would. It seems a bit crazy to take a position that you can't agree with someone about one thing if you disagree about something else.
At best it's just another in a long line of English football travesties relating to club ownership. And unlike all the other ones it'd be good for United.

MTF

We absolutely cannot do that. The club will have to take on a new debt of upwards of 2bn Euro to build a new stadium on it's own, probably even more. Even just a renovation of the existing one could easily cost anywhere between 300M to 800M Euro, depending on the scope. Real Madrid spent almost a billion. And remember - Ratcliffe isn't clearing the already withstanding debt.

We can't build a new stadium without bankrupting the club.
Football clubs are such shitty businesses, jfc.

@Regulus Arcturus Black what do you make of this? Do you believe that Ineos can afford to buy United at the price quoted?
Can a company with 17bn in assets and the following forecasts afford United?

We forecast 2022 EBITDA, excluding joint ventures (JVs), of EUR2.2 billion following an all-time high EBITDA of EUR2.3 billion in 2021. Record earnings in 1H22 offset a weaker 2H22, while we expect demand from consumer durables and construction end markets to weaken and energy costs to remain high. EBITDA Normalising: We forecast EBITDA net leverage at 2.2x and EBITDA gross leverage at 2.6x in 2022, supported by strong EBITDA and the early repayment of its 2023 and 2025 term loans, which is slightly offset by appreciating US dollar debt. We expect softening prices and margin compression to reduce EBITDA to EUR1.5 billion in 2023, before returning to mid-cycle levels of around EUR1.8 billion from 2025. This should lead to net debt around 3x EBITDA and gross debt at around 3.5x EBITDA in 2024-2026.
Clearly.

The poster you quoted wanted to include years including the pandemic and a large 3bn investment commitment from INEOS to paint a picture of them having much lower profits. In realty, between 2021 - 2025 alone they forecast profits of 7.5 bn.

So erm, yeah, clearly they can afford the club, they wouldn’t be bidding otherwise.

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I know he touched on the Glazers but why weren't the criteria of these posts made during the countless years of ownership ? Why all of a sudden is the moral compass thrown into question when United have some of the worst business owners in sport. The biggest club in England and one of the biggest global sport attractions acquired with leveraged financials and not once has Delaney, the Athletic etc made consistent statements to ridicule the owners.

These journalists had no issue having contacts with members of staff during the periods of United's inconsistency, they monetized the clubs disorder having absolutely no issues having their mutual networks to publicize their media thus making articles about player feelings, dressing room antics that they obtained through leaks, managerial unrest etc and negativity now all of a sudden they care enough about the perception of United as it's a golden standard in sport.
Exactly and that is what's annoying to a lot of us. Then you get accused of whataboutism and what not but it just reeks of hypocrisy when it's an issue now only

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Delaney is

Clearly.

The poster you quoted wanted to include years including the pandemic and a large 3bn investment commitment from INEOS to paint a picture of them having much lower profits. In realty, between 2021 - 2025 alone they forecast profits of 7.5 bn.

So erm, yeah, clearly they can afford the club, they wouldn’t be bidding otherwise.
Putting the “aggressive” into “passive aggressive”

Raven

That’s a ridiculous statement and even more narrow minded then the people that are saying it.
Literally nobody said that. Hilarious when people invent some nonsense in their heads and then get angry about it :lol:
Literally nobody said that. Hilarious when people invent some nonsense in their heads and then get angry about it :lol:
For me, it's like voting Tory. You know exactly the pain and misery caused by these people but because it benefits you, you don't give a feck about the consequences.

We shouldn't allow ourselves become the vessel of an oppressive regime, even if that means we aren't the best or the richest team around.

alexthelion

Clearly.

They could afford to buy 70%, albeit with a large loan. Would they be prepared to also take out another large loan for refurbishment / new stadium? Plus, I'm sure I read somewhere, they've already got loan commitments of something like £8 bn.

buchansleftleg

This - United need to build something like the SoFi stadium - Glazers have got the fans used to fresh paint over rusty metal. Ratcliffe might renovate a stand. But we should be planning on rebuilding on the Old Trafford site something with the scale and ambition (if not necessarily the same design ethos) as the So Fi stadium

TsuWave

dove

For me, it's like voting Tory. You know exactly the pain and misery caused by these people but because it benefits you, you don't give a feck about the consequences.

We shouldn't allow ourselves become the vessel of an oppressive regime, even if that means we aren't the best or the richest team around.
I don't disagree but that's not what I replied to. I replied to your invented quote presented as fact.

arthurka

By the guy whose paycheck is partly written by the Saudis.
The other half is Russian retirement fund. Funny how us being owned by non blood sucking owners has created a mass hysteria that it is going to ruin football. Funny how non of this was happening while the Russian bought Chelsea, Glazers saddled us with debt, City being bought by a state and Newcastle by a state that chops people up and transport them away in duffle bags.

Apparently this time it's different.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Delaney going hard
Maybe we should allow a consortium lead by a Russian Oligarch and a Saudi investor to take over instead. A bit like what happened at the Independent.

Last edited:

Irishman

In response in Delaneys article.

The biggest outrage was how the Premier League allowed Manchester Utd, arguably the biggest footballing institute in British and world football to be put in such a vulnerable state by a leveraged buyout that would have put nearly every other club in World football out of business. Where was the outrage then?

And where was the same outrage when City, Chelsea and now Newcastle go about their business in buying their way to success with state money?

Its not Manchester Utd who are complicit in what's happening to the former beautiful game as some would try and make you believe.

Its the Premier League and UK media who sold their soul to the devil who are guilty as sin.

Reap what you sow!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

ShinjiNinja26

Delaney works for a news paper who is largely owned by Evgeny Lebedev (41%) ie a Russian oligarch and Sultan Muhammad Abuljadayel (30%) ie a Saudi investor

https://dohanews.co/qatar-joins-143-un-votes-rejecting-russias-annexation-of-ukrainian-territories/

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/17/qat...e-and-forget-for-russia-foreign-minister.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar–Saudi_Arabia_diplomatic_conflict

Independent indeed.
Labelling him a clown is a massive understatement then.

Status
Not open for further replies.