Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgipep

You are in a pickle aren't you? Dictator nation or greenwashing, racist hiring fracker brexiteer.
As with almost everything in life, it's about the lesser evil.
I see 4 scenarios: Glazers not selling; Glazers selling a minority share to Wall Street combination; SJR acquisition, Qatari acquisition.
And my preference is likely in the same order due to the uncertainty around the future of a SJR acquisition, as well as demands and consequences of a minority share sale.

Tarrou

Surely there’s other examples then? Even rumours of disgustingly elite billionaires from Qatar needing the ok to spend their money?
I’m pretty sure people can make that money especially with positions the father (and money man) of the probable new owners son held?
I’m 100 percent sure there’s corrupt billionaires out there who simply do not reveal their net worth and I can’t see why they would to be honest.
Again I think we’d be bought by money that has their source from the state but I’m starting to believe we won’t actually be state owned
why would they need an ok to spend their money? You’ve lost me

Bought by the state but not state owned? Yeah okay

georgipep

I've talked to people who've suffered in the Gulf but most have bizarrely accepted the issues and their treatment. I find it disgusting, it's been happening for decades suppose if you can, walk away.
That is another part of the tragedy. People are used to oppression and don't want/have the strength to fight. It is also infinitely easier to be in opposition of something that is thousands of miles away, and not face real and life-threatening danger because of my opinion.

mu4c_20le

I thought so. All outrage but no real conviction

You will learn in time, life isn't so black & white as it appears in your life.

Come back when you have grown up a bit.
So as you get older, you start to lose your morals? And just start accepting life as it is?

Alonzo

I thought so. All outrage but no real conviction

You will learn in time, life isn't so black & white as it appears in your life.

Come back when you have grown up a bit.
Always fun seeing people try to invert arguments. Here for instance, “stick to football” is somehow the more complex approach, as opposed to taking political ramifications into consideration. But yea, it isn’t really, is it.

your argument boils down to “i don’t care about anything other than my team winning”, why is it so difficult to say? We see the world differently, we aren’t going to agree.
But another part of it boils down to “don’t like it, leave” which is passive aggression at its truly lamest. Also has a rich history of being used in all sorts of shitty situations. Stay classy kid

Pickle85

I am old enough to remember the failed takeover by Sky. Back then all hell went loose (both by United and non United fans) because of Sky's owners and the advantage United would have over other clubs. Guess what? Worse owners bought rival clubs and the criticism was timid at best. Not only that but when these clubs became better then we are through unfair means they had the audacity to laugh at our misery. So unless there's a blanket ban on clubs being owned (not just bought) by oligarchs/state on a global scale then I don't give a feck about who owns us. I don't want my club to be running the race with one broken leg and I am certainly mature enough to make a clear distinction between the club and its owners.
This is totally unrelated to maturity and totally related to just wanting to be able to support a winning team.
Please inform us of these atrocities the Qatari rulers are responsible for
And then at the same time take a look at the atrocities that the UK is responsible for and still benefits from to this day
And then give your head a wobble, yourself
But...but...but what about imperialism and colonialism and the cost of living crisis and that woman that put that cat in that wheelie bin that one time. How can you possibly criticize Qatar in light of all that?!?!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

city-puma

Why people are so engaged to pick out the others to interpret their opinions in a way to berate in order to show their moral highness? A lot of those posts can be interpreted as Islamophobia if they use the same approach as the counter measures. They haven’t yet. Just think.

AlPistacho

That is another part of the tragedy. People are used to oppression and don't want/have the strength to fight. It is also infinitely easier to be in opposition of something that is thousands of miles away, and not face real and life-threatening danger because of my opinion.
There’s a thread for this. Please keep it to there and don’t distract from the topic of this thread.

noddyutd

This thread is a shambles , countless scrolling to get to any sort of news.

AlPistacho

I didn't see this tweet in all the bullshit about virtues and all the shite that's been discussed numerous times.

Seems like Qatar are really in it to win it. I just cannot seem to find an article that corroborates this tweet. Was it a Bloomberg wire or something?

Edit: Found the article.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic
If that’s the opening bid, does it make £6b, the Glazers apparent asking price more likely, or even a compromise at £5.5b

estel_manutd

How many United fans would stop supporting United if the state of the Qatar is the next owner of the club? I believe most want to signal how uncomfortable they would be if the Qatar takeover goes through because that is the 'right thing to say', but at the end of the day, it wouldn't change their support one bit. This is specially true for the 'fan journalists' (e.g., Paddock, the Athletic). That does not mean that there are no supporters who would actually stop supporting the club (e.g., the fans who started FCUM in response to the Glazer takeover) - and more power to them - anyone who has the courage of their convictions should be respected and not derided.

Chief123

I thought there must be updates since there were so many more pages.

All I learnt is some dude trying to convince the world Catholics aren’t Christians!

NotThatSoph

Since you feel so strongly about it; I guess you have only one choice then without coming across as a 1st Class hypocrite -- stop supporting the club if the Qataris buy up United. You really dont have a choice do you? Unless you have some spare billions in your pocket?
Short of that, you are just virtue signalling.
This is the only thing you've been doing in this thread.

city-puma

How many United fans would stop supporting United if the state of the Qatar is the next owner of the club? I believe most want to signal how uncomfortable they would be if the Qatar takeover goes through because that is the 'right thing to say', but at the end of the day, it wouldn't change their support one bit. This is specially true for the 'fan journalists' (e.g., Paddock, the Athletic). That does not mean that there are no supporters who would actually stop supporting the club (e.g., the fans who started FCUM in response to the Glazer takeover) - and more power to them - anyone who has the courage of their convictions should be respected and not derided.
I think it’s quite naive (sorry, no offense here) to assume “most”. The fanbase consists of the fans from, Middle East, East Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, North America, South America, Northern/Central/Southern Africa, Eastern/Western Europe, Australia, etc.
Just think about the people living in those different regions, their worldviews, their religious beliefs, their traditions and cultures. Do you still think “most” feel uncomfortable? Seriously?

JagUTD

This thread is a shambles , countless scrolling to get to any sort of news.
There's a tweet only thread for updates only which is worth following for updates. This is the discussion thread so naturally you're going to get quite a bit of waffle.

As it is, there's been almost no developments since the news broke, so basically just sit tight, check the tweet thread every so often and wait until something happens.

AlPistacho

There's a tweet only thread for updates only which is worth following for updates. This is the discussion thread so naturally you're going to get quite a bit of waffle.

As it is, there's been almost no developments since the news broke, so basically just sit tight, check the tweet thread every so often and wait until something happens.
This is also not the thread for moral talk. There’s a separate thread for that.

NorryKay

These initial statements mean very little really. Mostly just public posturing, not dissimilar to fishing for likes on social media.

SJR can't really come out and say he's going to spend his entire fortune on United as a gift for the people of Manchester and beyond. As a serious business man and not the front for some regime he has to at least act professional and do things properly.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he viewed this as something of a legacy and invested heavily into a passion project. It's not uncommon for the ultra wealthy to do such things, whether that's philanthropy or just one hell of a late life crisis.

In the end though, all we need is an owner who just lets the club do what it does. Doesn't take money from it and let's football people deal with the football side. We'd be self sufficient in footballing terms, only requiring owner input for things like the stadium and facilities, which in themselves would be an investment on their part.

The past decade has shown even with our hands tied behind our backs we can compete financially. The Glazers biggest failing hasn't been the debt, dividends or even the billion they've cost the club but repeated mismanagement.

Even with those parasites, with a proper structure, proper people on the right positions, we'd have been far more successful post Fergie. As it is we were run by clowns who hired clowns and rather than being Disney World, we were the circus out of American Horror Stories.
If we get bought by SJR how do you reckon man Utd manages to update OT & carrington whilst paying off the debts and improve the squad.

estel_manutd

I think it’s quite naive (sorry, no offense here) to assume “most”. The fanbase consists of the fans from, Middle East, East Asia, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, North America, South America, Northern/Central/Southern Africa, Eastern/Western Europe, Australia, etc.
Just think about the people living in those different regions, their worldviews, their religious beliefs, their traditions and cultures. Do you still think “most” feel uncomfortable? Seriously?
No offence taken - I meant most of those that say they are against the takeover by the Qatari state. I do not think a majority of our global support is against the Qatari takeover.

JagUTD

This is also not the thread for moral talk. There’s a separate thread for that.
Indeed. Well, I presume you mean the one that hasn't been posted in since Tuesday morning and isn't immediately obvious that it is for such discussion.

I do find it strange how people with a certain view point don't want certain points of discussion raised though. You'd think the suitability of our owners would be a pretty important part of any takeover, as it would be with any takeover.

Granted, there have been some weird takes and some pretty wild tangents which add little value to the discussion, but also plenty of valid points. I fail to see how the morals standing, personal opinions and actions of any potential owner isn't an important topic in all this.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Okay, I’ll bite.

A Catholic IS a Christian. So is a Protestant. The main difference is that Catholicism emphasise symbolism to a larger degree than Protestantism.

This is Primary School stuff ffs!
This. Its like shiite and sunni are both Muslim

AlPistacho

Indeed. Well, I presume you mean the one that hasn't been posted in since Tuesday morning and isn't immediately obvious that it is for such discussion.

I do find it strange how people with a certain view point don't want certain points of discussion raised though. You'd think the suitability of our owners would be a pretty important part of any takeover, as it would be with any takeover.

Granted, there have been some weird takes and some pretty wild tangents which add little value to the discussion, but also plenty of valid points. I fail to see how the morals standing, personal opinions and actions of any potential owner isn't an important topic in all this.
Actually you’ll find it’s the opposite. It’s the ones using words like “atrocity” to describe Qatar that tend to not want a more realistic portrayals of what Qatar is really like to be presented on this thread.

Suedesi

I am old enough to remember the failed takeover by Sky. Back then all hell went loose (both by United and non United fans) because of Sky's owners and the advantage United would have over other clubs. Guess what? Worse owners bought rival clubs and the criticism was timid at best. Not only that but when these clubs became better then we are through unfair means they had the audacity to laugh at our misery. So unless there's a blanket ban on clubs being owned (not just bought) by oligarchs/state on a global scale then I don't give a feck about who owns us. I don't want my club to be running the race with one broken leg and I am certainly mature enough to make a clear distinction between the club and its owners.
A bit late for that, after the UK has allowed all sorts of characters to buy into the game from Roman, to the corrupt Thai prime Minister, the Abu Dhabi regime, the Saudi regime, a bunch of unsavory characters (American, Uzbeki, Greek) etc.

Nogho

So, what's the Glazers reason for not selling the club for the funny money they are offered? Hoping to get more money down the line? The most frequent quote in the media is that they even can't afford to keep the club. I really don't get what they are looking for? Even more money? I've read a couple of hundred of articles and listened to economic podcasts discussing this subject and no one seems to know what the hell is going on. How's that even possible in the world we are living in? Should it not be more "leaks" surrounding this?

clarkydaz

So, what's the Glazers reason for not selling the club for the funny money they are offered? Hoping to get more money down the line? The most frequent quote in the media is that they even can't afford to keep the club. I really don't get what they are looking for? Even more money? I've read a couple of hundred of articles and listened to economic podcasts discussing this subject and no one seems to know what the hell is going on. How's that even possible in the world we are living in? Should it not be more "leaks" surrounding this?
simply posturing for an eyewatering price, as we have a buyer with unlimited money. If we are entering next stage talks of a sale then thats where its headed. if latest is correct and Quatars opening bid was 5b, they are probably going to stretch it to another half billion. which is insane really

Status
Not open for further replies.