Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshaw

A key point from the article not addressed.
edit tweet deleted but you can read the MEN article here

"State ownership of Manchester United would set a dangerous precedent"
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-takeover-qatari-news-26261497?kop=

"United need owners who will sufficiently back Ten Hag and treat the club as a community asset. There has to be a promise to modernise Old Trafford and the Carrington training complex."

I'm not sure it's possible to buy United and do the necessary modernizations while maintaining his moral standards. A dangerous precedent was set allowing Roman, Abu Dhabi and now Saudi Arabia into the Premier League, you allowed pretty much infinite money lottery wins into the league upsetting over a century of building. It's only natural other clubs, like United have to do the same or get replaced.

People like Crafton and Luckhurst can put special requirements on United but how does it transpire in reality against infinite money and facilities. We could just about keep up with spending on players to the detriment of everything else. The time has sadly passed for United to rebuild a stadium and remain competitive or someone else "fitting" to buy us and do the same thing. You guys have made it a state venture sport washing/marketing vehicle.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Because most people view the gulf as one entity and are genuinely not outraged by the crime but by who does it. Add to that a very limited, ignorant awareness, of what is actually going on in each country. Tbf often their perceptions are influenced by a media with its own agenda.

1) Qatar is a relatively neutral country. It’s not bombing or invading anyone. It minds its own business and invests in other countries. It’s one of the biggest givers of charity in the world.
2) The main criticisms of Qatar also apply to every other country, especially those whose media are the most vocal opponents of Qatar. Julian Assange says hi from Belmarsh prison where he’s been for 5 or more years. For exposing US war crimes.

Saudi under Bin Salmon is completely different.
1) Anti government voices are killed
2) People protesting their homes being destroyed to build new cities/roads are put in prison or killed
3) The war against Yemen is no different to Russia Vs Ukraine. Probably worse from an airstrikes point of view.

So Qatar is nothing like Saudi. It genuinely speaks to people’s ignorance (or something else )when they equate the two as being similar.
Take it to the other thread

Strootman's Finger

What is a real life United fan and how does the athletic insure the measures are put in place in their poll :lol:

Again if we have a poll on the cafe let’s see what it says.

I do not believe Ratcliffe comes on top in any poll no matter what region.
The United Stand did a poll, 12000 responses, 50% of fans are UK, 50% are worldwide, and the demographics split pretty evenly across age groups, and the results were 80% for Qatar.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

We’re going to rip everything up just when we’ve got our shit together.
Inevitable, every buyer will appoint new people.

The question is to what degree that will extend into the football part of the club, so essentially Murtough and below.

Tarrou

He wants to bid 4bn for a 1-2bn discount, on the back of fan sentiment etc and hopefully backlash against the middle east. Probably would pay lipservice for a few years then flip it if he won it, but mostly just wants the profile/slow news cycles.

We all have jobs, some of us for huge companies. If that was the price, so many other bidders would be interested. But they don't live in fairy land where bids for a few billion less are accepted, so they don't waste their time. If you made a fire sale for the club at 4bn, it'd be like the costco line at 7am when they sold the sony OLED for £600. Nobody else is wasting their time, because thats not the price. Hell if the price was 4bn I could probably get it off JSC and moonlight as Man Utd chairman for a season or two. We could do management and transfer votes by poll on redcafe.

Yet Ratcliffe keeps briefing that this is his bid etc etc....
there's been stories about Qatar not wanting to pay the asking price too

we don't know if these are leaked or just made up nonsense

but if it's true it's just benchmarking anyway and super standard

Gordon Godot

I do not think any capitalist businessman will buy United without any strings attached. Sure, the debt might be in INEOS for example, but then likely there will be dividends from United that will go to their parent company. And it is very unlikely that INEOS/Ratcliffe will give money to United (which we probably might need if we want to compete with City/Newcastle).
I dont think you United need capital going in when you consider Glazer ownership has taken £1bn out for debt, dividends etc. THe stadium is another issue though. Ratcliffe is not buying Utd for profit.

Mainoldo

I was referring to people, as in human beings, who I, also a real person, know in my actual physical life. These people, in my real life, are supporters of Manchester United and we have had conversations, in person, that reflect the opinion of that particular poll. As I said, these are just people I know in real life, in Manchester, who support Manchester United and is a small sample size that will likely not replicate the opinions of Red Cafe.
I understand now. Yeah I don’t much doubt it. I think specific demographics will feel a certain way.

Hard to call what the majority think though. Which is why I wanted a poll.

Ten Lasso

I bet the Glazers can't wait for Ratcliffes bid. I mean, why accept £5 billion, when there's a very attractive £4 billion on the table

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd be curious to see a straight "Qatar vs Ratcliffe" poll on here but I can't be arsed making another thread about the sale.

Revan

Assumptionman
I dont think you United need capital going in when you consider Glazer ownership has taken £1bn out for debt, dividends etc. THe stadium is another issue though. Ratcliffe is not buying Utd for profit.
He is not putting his own money there, and it is gonna be debt leveraged (be it if the debt is on United, or INEOS, United's parent company). He is probably gonna get money from United back, some way or another.

And yes, we need outside capital going to compete with clubs that have unlimited resources (City now, Newcastle in the future).

Teja

Don't really mind Arnold getting the boot here. I assume they'll keep Murtough + Ten Hag around for a bit.

Funnily enough I thought Arnold played the political game perfectly by saying his job is to have the money available and Murtough's job is build a winning squad.

He effectively put the responsibility for the transfer business on one individual. That wasn't the case under Woody so he got a lot of flak for every wrong decision.

New CEO can do the same. Murtough keeps his job as long as he delivers.

Mainoldo

The United Stand did a poll, 12000 responses, 50% of fans are UK, 50% are worldwide, and the demographics split pretty evenly across age groups, and the results were 80% for Qatar.
Yeah I seen that one. Which is why I’m more of the belief the fanbase wants Qatar.

cyberman

To be fair have we got it together? It just seems as if Ten Hag came in, picked the players he wanted and kept the structure away from it.
It never looked good to me

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Have you even read the full outlet? The reports appear to say it'll be a Qatari CEO which makes them no more qualified.
I've been told plenty of times, the CEO does not need to be involved in football matters.

So I don't care if he's not experienced if he identifies and hires in the right people for the job (i.e. not Murtoughs).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Don't really mind Arnold getting the boot here. I assume they'll keep Murtough + Ten Hag around for a bit.

Funnily enough I thought Arnold played the political game perfectly by saying his job is to have the money available and Murtough's job is build a winning squad.

He effectively put the responsibility for the transfer business on one individual. That wasn't the case under Woody so he got a lot of flak for every wrong decision.

New CEO can do the same. Murtough keeps his job as long as he delivers.
Arnold had the sense to know he's not best qualified for the footballing decisions and empowered the manager and DoF.

If we go by how Qatar handled PSG, they'll be breaking wage structures in no time, which is a big step back.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've been told plenty of times, the CEO does not need to be involved in football matters.

So I don't care if he's not experienced if he identifies and hires in the right people for the job (i.e. not Murtoughs).
And yet they do.

Herman Toothrot

I understand now. Yeah I don’t much doubt it. I think specific demographics will feel a certain way.

Hard to call what the majority think though. Which is why I wanted a poll.
I'm sure the majority will want Qatar. The majority of our fans have never been within thousands of miles of Manchester, I do not expect this to trouble them at all. I find all outcomes sad and troubling, whatever the result, it's not something I'll be celebrating.

owlo

there's been stories about Qatar not wanting to pay the asking price too

we don't know if these are leaked or just made up nonsense

but if it's true it's just benchmarking anyway and super standard
Big difference between quietly negotiating with the club and setting out a public position in the media that's rather ridiculous and that you can't backtrack on without looking like a clown.

G_and_T

I don't think the issues are small or trivial. Human rights in the Gulf states is a major issue.

But the sad reality is, it isn't for most football fans. You can take it from me that there'll be no mass boycott from Utd fans if the Qataris take over and and protests that might occur will be tiny in size in comparison to say, the anti Glazer protests.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, it's just patently what would happen.
Thank you for clarifying. I hope the majority do see it as an issue. If they do buy the club, I hope there are systems in place to ensure fans and even employees of the club arent alienated or treated differently.

Tarrou

Big difference between quietly negotiating with the club and setting out a public position in the media that's rather ridiculous and that you can't backtrack on without looking like a clown.
what has he said publicly that's ridiculous?

AlPistacho

The main criticisms of Qatar being that - women are not allowed to be free, gay people are not allowed to exist and that migrant workers are treated horrendously with hundreds dying, apply to other countries as well?
Funny how you can’t see the difference with Saudi and protestors being murdered. Or you refuse to say hi back to Julian

The migrants has been discussed and was shown that the media lied /mislead. People do die… they used the fact that 87% of Qatar population is a migrant population to give a very inaccurate picture. One of the stats included foreign CEO’s who died over a 10 year period.

I think someone on the WC thread, who initially was of the “they treat migrants like crap” did his/her own research and realised actually labourers on the job death rates where similar to western countries.

Go speak to a representative sample of Qatari women. That’s the normal thing to do.. I can’t say Japanese people discriminated against in Japan unless if I speak to enough Japanese people.

All demonstrations of public sexuality are illegal in Qatar. It’s funny how people focus on the same sex aspect. If anything it’s probably easier for a gay/lesbian couple to get laid in Qatar as no one asks questions when a same sex people book a hotel room. But it opposite sex couple booked a room they’d have difficulties.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What principles are on being owned by a company which is one of the biggest polluter in Europe, by a few banks, and by a tax dodger?
A wealthy individual beholden to share prices would be far more malleable than a sportwashing autocrat with endless amounts of money.

Vapor trail

What incentives? I just don’t understand this. Balon Dor clause maybe?!
It's highly questionable what Ratcliffes intentions are. It was only a few months ago he was said to have spoken about a prospective sale. He could have capitalised on this month's beforehand. Feels like he's doing to United what he did during the acquisition of Chelsea.

Telsim

I can absolutely 100% guarantee you no one is going to spend upwards of 5bn GBP and then not appoint their own CEO. Richard Arnold was a goner the second the club went up for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.