Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yes, perhaps. Rightly or wrongly, Ineos are confident of winning and the Times are simply reporting that fact. If Ineos then lose, it does not mean that the reporting of the Times was inaccurate.
:lol: It’s clearly inaccurate at this point. SJ is currently in the process of dotting the i’s on exclusivity. You can deny that all you want but it would be ludicrous of Reuters to come out with baseless speculation based on their standing in the financial markets.

Godfather

The Times and The Telegraph (and Ineos) think Ineos are in at least as good of a position as Qatar - they are probably both (Reuters vs Times/Telegraph) right (it looks like both bids are verging on entering into exclusivity, because the Glazers/Raine have decided to advance both bids together until the last possible moment). It looks 50-50 at this stage - both sides think they are winning.
Is this a WUM? At this stage I'd wager it's at least 70-30 in favour of Qatar.

1DeGea1

To me it was just baffling people dismissing Rio who clearly has links still at the club, and even if he didn't, has more contacts in the football world than this forum combined and multiplied by a million
Zero multiplied by a million is still zero.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
It depends if Ratcliffe knew about the racism taking place. It's the same Ratcliffe who hired a racist/homophobe to oversee the summer transfer window of 2022 in the form of Iain Moody who was sacked from his previous job for being a racist.

Sounds worse than the glazers

the_cliff

There is no indication that anyone has been chosen to enter into exclusivity. The Qataris clearly think they will be the chosen ones - Ineos think the same. One of them will of course be wrong, but there's no way for us to know which (it's quite possible that even Raine don't know at this stage).

Multiple sources close to talks played down claims from the news agency Reuters that Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani is “negotiating exclusivity” ahead of rivals in his battle to buy the club. Effectively, the same could be said of Sir Jim Ratcliffe, one insider pointed out to Telegraph Sport.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ted-takeover-news-share-trading-paused-qatar/
I would argue that the source for the Reuters article comes from Raine group.

It makes sense that the English press are denying the reports when they just reach out directly to the club and the club deny it...

Infra-red

:lol: It’s clearly inaccurate at this point. SJ is currently in the process of dotting the i’s on exclusivity. You can deny that all you want but it would be ludicrous of Reuters to come out with baseless speculation based on their standing in the financial markets.
It won't be baseless speculation. They will have been informed, by someone close to the Qatari bid.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I wonder if the Glazers are just seeing SJRs bid as being too complicated and they'd rather have their money and run now from SJ?

cyberman

The Times report that, as of yesterday evening, Ineos are still the favourite. It's clear that Reuters are getting their information from the Qatari side and are accurately reporting it (Reuters don't make things up), while The Times/Telegraph are getting their information from the Ineos side and are accurately reporting it (The Times/Telegraph don't make things up).

Yes, one of the bids will end up losing and their confidence will prove to be misplaced, but it doesn't mean that the reporting of Reuters or The Times is inaccurate. Given that Qatar and Ineos both think they are head, I don't see how we (as outsiders looking in) can determine which information should be given greater weight, hence 50-50. The reality of the situation may not be 50-50 - it might be that Ineos are 90% of the way there or it could be that ineos are going to be told this afternoon that they have lost - we can't possibly know. But, as things stand, Qatar and Ineos are confident of beating each other.
I don’t think it’s clear at all where Reuters are getting their information from. If anything this man
https://www.reuters.com/authors/anirban-sen/
Would surely have his sources at Raine?
No offence but your posts constantly play these games where you colour in little grey areas to suit your framing as if it’s fact when it’s nothing of the sort.
These publications cross reference sources and double back on everything before publishing. This isn’t chief sports writer of the Times here

stevoc

RMC in France have corroborated the information from Reuters.

I'm not saying their story isn't true, only that Reuters seem to think this is a Qatari state bid.

greenoffpearson

Poster is claiming both Times and Reuters could be right that Exclusivity could be granted to both the parties which is oxymoron in itself and would also mean Reuters reporting is wrong and process basically hasn't progressed either .
[/QUOTE]

What is equally baffling is that there is a new part to the process called 'the negotiating to enter into the exclusivity agreement stage'.

What is apparant is that nobody knows what is going on and everything seems to be made up off the hoof, it's not the journalists fault it is simply that the whole process has been shambolic with the underlying current being that more money changes everything.

vincentka

exhausted about sports journalists honestly
of course I know it is their job to create news from their sources

ShinjiNinja26

And if anyone is excited or maybe the opposite - worried, by the Times and Lawton's pro-Sir Jim articles.

He wrote last Sunday that we would find out who the preferred bidder is this week, with a big photo of Sir Jim outside Old Trafford accompanying the article.

The Times know as much as most of the UK media i.e. sweet F.A.
The Times although reliable usually have been Ratcliffe’s mouthpiece throughout this whole process, I’d take anything they say with a pinch of salt. Reuters don’t seem the click bait type and now RMC are backing them up and if I’m not mistaken they’re a pretty reliable source in France.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It won't be baseless speculation. They will have been informed, by someone close to the Qatari bid.
I doubt it would be Qatari’s feelings on the bid that Reuters would run this story on. Knowing it’s effects on the market.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It says allegations. Has it been proven?
Quite obviously the legal proceedings are taking place so not in court yet no.
However maybe you should look into the allegations... and you'll see why Nice would have known about it

romufc

It is obvious that the British journalists are championing SJR and the Qatari journalist Jassim.

Neither really seem to have any credible links as the takeover is being dealt with by Raine group, which is American firm.

Times and BBC probably being briefed by SJR and he wont leak saying they have lost.. neither would Jassim on his side.

We just have to wait.

MUFC OK

Oh yeah they are praying he doesn't win
I actually think their interest is in protecting their most profitable recurring news story of the past 10 years - United in crisis. Nothing they report on gets more clicks than that, especially when padded out with juicy behind the scenes details of mismanagement, star player discontent, crumbling infrastructure and fiscal irresponsibility. It's gold dust for journos.

It may be a bit of a reach, but if the Qatari's come in and get our house in order it's bad news for the English media. Just my opinion.

OmarUnited4ever

All the academic literature on the topic I’ve tried to read up on suggests that the distinction between public and private spheres in the Qatari economy is extremely blurred to the point of being meaningless, that formal institutions are created and assigned to members of the Royal family for the purpose of strengthening the bonds of rulership and maintaining an illusion of separation between the spheres, and that the ultimate authority who decides on the allocation of important positions and resources is the Emir. Some quotes and links:

"Power in Qatar is distributed in a top-down manner, that is, by the Emir who allocates key government, civil service and private company positions to members of his family and to tribal figures...In Qatar, there is no real separation between the state and the private interests of the ruling family..."Power remains uninstitutionalized. There is no meaningful distinction, either political or legal, between the person of the Emir and the institutions of the state"...the state is not autonomous from private interests. It is difficult to establish the extent of this due to the lack of public information." (p. 40-41 https://www.google.ie/books/edition...itions+to+good+governance&printsec=frontcover)​
"the lack of clear boundaries between personal sovereign wealth and public sovereign wealth in the Gulf muddies the neat picture of Gulf SWFs as simple portfolio investment vehicles. The lines between the wealth of the ruling families and the wealth of the nation have long been murky in the GCC states...A further complication is the tendency of some member of Gulf royal families to co-invest personal ‘private funds’ alongside the sovereign wealth fund that they personally oversee. This trend has been most visible in Qatar, where the Emir of Qatar invested in Barclays at the same time as the Qatar investment Authority (QIA)."​
"The presence of ruling family members in the private sector makes the distinction between the public and private sectors in Qatar problematic. Since they support each other through public funds and public policies geared towards the best interests of these family members and local merchants, the distinction between public and private funds was also meaningless."​
"In Abu Dhabi and Qatar...ruling family members are in control of powerful companies that dominate the economy – either personally or through sovereign wealth funds...Merchant elites are now subservient to the ruling families and are obliged to adapt to the latter’s business priorities...Business interests in Qatar and the UAE are to a large extent protected by the close interconnection of often indistinguishable economic and political elites..."​
"despite the existence of government institutions that “formally” appear to separate the rulers’ funds from those of the state, in practice, the lack of transparent budgets and financial reports, render these distinctions artificial. Even the appointment of the director of the Qatari Chamber of Commerce is determined by the ruler who invariably appoints an al-Thani family member. Since the business community is not able to elect its own leader to voice concerns to policy makers, the Chamber of Commerce, in effect, acts more “as [a] government agency than an independent social association”​
This is 100% correct, and especially for Qatar, UAE is bit bigger and they do have semi independent wealthy/business people who created their wealth independently to some extent, who operate their businesses semi-independently unless told otherwise by the ruling family, but Qatar doesn't even have those kinds of people, Saudi Arabia is the biggest country in that gulf region and they do have wealthy families that operates independently until recently (MBS consolidated political and economical power in KSA).

Telsim

You'll still find people in here claiming that these are secondary to Ben Jacobs, Miguel Delaney, Mike Keegan - purely because they've been milking the takeover to write columns for months.

I'm going with RRR.
Indeed. This ended once Reuters reported it. RMC and Rio corroborating it is just adding that much more to it. UK media will continue to deny it and twist it until that is no longer possible.

Fully expecting 92 to be announced as the new owners next week. I think that 12 week timetable that was reported is disingenuous and clickbait. Sure, if you include approval of the deal and handover period, but these are processes with forgone conclusions. Just a shame the Qatari likely won't be able to get involved this transfer window.

Infra-red

It is obvious that the British journalists are championing SJR and the Qatari journalist Jassim.

Neither really seem to have any credible links as the takeover is being dealt with by Raine group, which is American firm.

Times and BBC probably being briefed by SJR and he wont leak saying they have lost.. neither would Jassim on his side.

We just have to wait.
This is eminently sensible.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
For many this is great news, and I would put myself in the pro Qatar camp, but until this is signed sealed and delivered I am being cautious. Given exclusivity to SJ does not mean that the Glazers will eventually ask so much that he still walks away, hopefully not, but they do not come across as the easiest people to deal with patiently.
The major points of a deal are already written during the exclusivity period price including. The exclusivity period allows both parties time to deal with the legalities.

Licha M

Can someone clue me in please..

If Jassim's last minute bid was a take it or leave it offer, what's this "exclusive negotiations" nonsense? Is it just a tactic to get the Qatari bid to again up their offer?

LordSpud

Is this a WUM? At this stage I'd wager it's at least 70-30 in favour of Qatar.
Only 70? I've heard more stuff in the past 2 days about the Qatar bid, from more reliable sources but the way, than I have the past couple of months about the INEOS bid.

I'm 90% club baby.

Tiber

Shares up to over $25 but BBC advised yesterday that 30 is the figure when you know its done

jm99

If Jassim's latest last minute bid was a take it or leave it offer, what's this "exclusive negotiations" nonsense? Is it just a process to try and squeeze out something extra?
Well the report at the time said it was a take it or leave it offer, they wouldn't make another one but if the Glazers accepted they would continue negotiations. Presumably theyre comfortable offering a bit more but don't want a protracted bidding war

Though we were told it was take it or leave it by the same journalists who've been wrong about everything else so who knows

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I doubt it would be Qatari’s feelings on the bid that Reuters would run this story on. Knowing it’s effects on the market.
That's a good point, wouldn't Qatar just be inflating the price for themselves by doing that?

I suspect Reuters are being used by Glazers to smoke out better bids from SJR by putting the Qatar rumour out there. I don't know the in's and out's, but by not having a period of exclusivity, isn't that also going to encourage further bids from both parties as they may get twitchy.

stevoc

I think Qatar have been ahead since last Friday, I'm surprised we've not heard much or anything about an improved bid from Jim since. Plus we've had no pro Ratcliffe PR recently. Whereas Qatar has been in overdrive and the share price has moved north for a week at good volume and all. So there's definitely a lot of people betting on Jassim. It's over to you Jim. Can he score? He always scores
Even for a man of Jim's wealth £5b for a football club is a serious outlay. It seems his only play was offering some of the Glazers to stay on. But he was always going to find it hard to outbid Qatar.

Cassidy

I think Qatar have been ahead since last Friday, I'm surprised we've not heard much or anything about an improved bid from Jim since. Plus we've had no pro Ratcliffe PR recently. Whereas Qatar has been in overdrive and the share price has moved north for a week at good volume and all. So there's definitely a lot of people betting on Jassim. It's over to you Jim. Can he score? He always scores
I'm sure we will this weekend / early next week.

Godfather

Why? Because they registered a UK company? Or because of that one article by Reuters? Or because of what Rio said?

Genuinely curious but all of the above seems like very weak evidence to me.
Plus RMC yes. It's not over yet obviously but I'd say it's certainly likelier to become Qatar than Ratcliffe at this point

Cassidy

The Athletic piece actually concludes Ratcliffe's a better fit for United despite the concerns.
Not that surprising, they have been pro Ratcliffe from the beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.