Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red.knight

Does anybody really believe that Matt Lawton and Ben Jacobs moves the markets?
I know nothing about finance, but from my layman's perspective when Jassim is interested - prices rise, currently 5 dollars more with all the news about him buying being imminent. That 5 dollars is 25% more than the beginning of the week which takes a 4bn valuation to 5bn. It's also almost 15 dollars more than this time last year. When the Glazers said they were looking to sell, prices went from 13 dollars to 21 dollars, when Ratcliffe was said to be winning and would keep them, the prices dropped. The stock market is showing that the Glazers negatively affect the share prices and that a full sale positively affects them. So the indication is that they will sell, they just inherited their fathers businesses but don't seem to have any business acumen about them, just greed. and they know the fans hate them so they're not in any rush to do the club any favours.

I would love to hear the financial expert explanation how increasing the share price works.. I’m really interested in that logic.

RopersReturn

Worst case scenario is the Glazers delay for another year, to see if they can squeeze for more money.
Unless there is a shareholder revolt possibly, but they hold a majority so they obviously can’t be forced out.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I know nothing about finance, but from my layman's perspective when Jassim is interested - prices rise, currently 5 dollars more with all the news about him buying being imminent. That 5 dollars is 25% more than the beginning of the week which takes a 4bn valuation to 5bn. It's also almost 15 dollars more than this time last year. When the Glazers said they were looking to sell, prices went from 13 dollars to 21 dollars, when Ratcliffe was said to be winning and would keep them, the prices dropped. The stock market is showing that the Glazers negatively affect the share prices and that a full sale positively affects them. So the indication is that they will sell, they just inherited their fathers businesses but don't seem to have any business acumen about them, just greed. and they know the fans hate them so they're not in any rush to do the club any favours.

I would love to hear the financial expert explanation how increasing the share price works.. I’m really interested in that logic.
Full sale results in the publicly traded shares being bought at a significant premium. INEOS on the other hand wouldn't be purchasing the publicly traded shares.

cyberman

Press reports as a whole definitely move the market. That’s how investors learn about what’s going on in the world. How else do you think it happens?
Not all press reports are equal though. Does Matt Lawton have the ear of WallStreet? Is it constant pump and dump? 2 day investments?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Who are you guys buying your shares through in the UK?
Well, when I'm in the UK (Manchester, specifically) I always buy shares from the same guy I use for weed and shawarma (he can usually be found lurking down by the river, Deansgate or thereabouts). Never let me down. Other than on shares and shawarma, that is. The weed has been good. Or goodish.

Sauxees Moi Hui

I was just going to buy a boatload of Man Utd shares, but it turns out that I can't because United is a client of my firm (which I never knew).

Feeling quite sad about this.

Bosws87

You lot must be terribly scarred for even considering if exclusivity is confirmed it might still fall through.

Yes theirs a chance but it’s tiny, there’s a chance you could get hit by a car walking around you don’t sit and worry about it.

cyberman

I’m in the same boat. I’m struggling to find articles saying Qatar aren’t in talks over exclusivity but apparently there’s so many stories out there now that the markets have responded.
Even Ben Jacobs argued against it in public then confirmed later that he didn’t say Reuters was wrong and they probably knew more than he did.
Why would this smoke and mirror nonsense move hundreds of millions of dollars? Because he appears on United Stand every so often?
Somebody must be able to answer

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Wish Ratcliffe would just drop out so I don't have to keep seeing it's a 2 horse race
That's not what a stalking horse is. The Qataris are effectively bidding against themselves if SJR is just selling a deal that is so elaborate that it will never happen.

croadyman

We are in the end game, SJ wants exclusivity to complete the deal, The Glazers are saying just one more increase and we are there, nearer £5.5bn and we behave a deal then you can announce it because since we last spoke SJR will offer £200m more This is how it as playing out !
Wish they would just take that 5th bid

croadyman

You lot must be terribly scarred for even considering if exclusivity is confirmed it might still fall through.

Yes theirs a chance but it’s tiny, there’s a chance you could get hit by a car walking around you don’t sit and worry about it.
I just want him to get that exclusivity then at least the threat of Ratcliffe is seriously reduced

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We are in the end game, SJ wants exclusivity to complete the deal, The Glazers are saying just one more increase and we are there, nearer £5.5bn and we behave a deal then you can announce it because since we last spoke SJR will offer £200m more This is how it as playing out !
I don't necessarily disagree but wouldn't they be able to up the bid in an exclusivity period?

I was under the impression that exclusivity is basically saying we'll give it you but we might still have a small movement on the details, including the final fee.

5.5bn also sounds bang on and is the lower range of their obscene $7-8bn valuation.

Tiber

feck me I really thought we would hear this week. Even if its the Glazer led axis taking over instead of Qatar id just like to know so we can all move on

Withnail

Is this based in reality at all?

MTF

At the simplest level though, you could have a really well run company that trades at a $50bn valuation currently. If someone comes in and bids that they want to acquire that company (100% of equity, as SJ has stated) for $75bn valuation, the company will now trade at $75bn if there's no view that something could cause the deal not to conclude (usually anti-trust regulations are an issue with big deals).

What I mean is that in a sense, the quality of current management or the business doesn't matter. Once someone is credibly offering a certain amount that is above the former share price (before the possibility of a deal was known), the stock will now trade at a sort of probability that the deal will happen at the offered share price.

Post offer price = offered price * deal probability + prior price * (1 - deal probability) ... that's a simplified model to think about it.

spwd

Well, when I'm in the UK (Manchester, specifically) I always buy shares from the same guy I use for weed and shawarma (he can usually be found lurking down by the river, Deansgate or thereabouts). Never let me down. Other than on shares and shawarma, that is. The weed has been good. Or goodish.
I think I'll pass thanks :lol:

MTF

I’m in the same boat. I’m struggling to find articles saying Qatar aren’t in talks over exclusivity but apparently there’s so many stories out there now that the markets have responded.
Even Ben Jacobs argued against it in public then confirmed later that he didn’t say Reuters was wrong and they probably knew more than he did.
Why would this smoke and mirror nonsense move hundreds of millions of dollars? Because he appears on United Stand every so often?
Somebody must be able to answer
Stocks can move on bad information, especially when it relates to possible acquisitions. I've seen twitter rumors started by nothing accounts/websites cause stocks to spike. Eventually they tend to come back to prior levels. But the market is very much a "shoot first, ask questions later" environment in the short term.

There's also a sort of positive feedback loop in markets in the short term, and not that things only go up, but large moves tend to get compounded further than justified both up and down. A short squeeze is a classic version of this, where once a stock goes up sharply the investors who are short generally feel compelled to cover/close out their positions to limit their losses, which only adds to buying pressure and how much the stock is up.

Acquire Me

I’ve not had any trouble with them?
Probably nothing wrong with them. I just remembered the name and my mind linked them to something negative. Could be the other way around and that they are good. Can’t seem to find the article when googling it either.

pawanraj

I sold my shares in the recent "Qatar is exclusive" fuelled rally. I'm convinced there's a twist (or three) in the tale yet and the price will fall again.

Chief123

It’s because buying the stock is being seen as a “quick win” if Sheikh Jassim wins as he will be buying those stocks you just bought. It’s not the case if Ineos win at which point you would see quite a big sell off due to the short term buyers dumping the stock based on the news. Hence the yo-yo price action when the pendulum keeps swinging based on who’s favourite to win.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Blame the Glazers for giving all our fanbase serious PTSD!

Status
Not open for further replies.