Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

HackeyC

You’re not wrong but Rooney has a wife and kids, they should rightfully be his first and only priority.
If he said he’s worried about everybody then fair play to him, but ultimately aren’t we all most worried about keeping our own families healthy during all this? I know I am.
Absolutely, in that sense he is no different to any family in the UK or world at present. But I would expect his article are written in the context of a professional football as a whole and as a fan would want him to show some consideration to those other than just the footballers, including backroom staff, stadium staff, match officials and fans. The fact is we are all guinea pigs as the world tries to come to grips with this outbreak. I don't think footballers are any worse off than office workers or school children and are in a significantly better position than health care workers for example.

M16Red

Even the break is given teams an unfair advantage. Harry Kane and Son could be back in April. Definitely Son.

You also can't crown a champion without relegating someone and do you think the three teams down there will take that, they'll sue the crap out of the EPL.

The only way play it behind closed doors. The EPL has enough money to test teams before the game and after (I have no idea how long these take)

Null and void even as a Utd fan seeing liverpoo win is the worst outcome for the league.

For me even with 2 kids off school and in the house, I think there is more chance catching it food shopping for example the basket, smart shop, self service, picking up food, open food (like apples), even chip and pin are all touch points.

Also man utd face masks Ed would find a sponsor no problems..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
«The idea that the season should be void is little more than a malign fantasy peddled by those trying to weaponise a pandemic to stop a rival team and its supporters claiming what is rightfully theirs.» - Oliver Holt.

What a pathetic man he is.
The media are already trying to influence things.
They forget there's more ar stake then just liverpool.there's another stack of teams who would be denied their own opportunity too.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Bottom 10 plus maybe Arsenal, Chelsea and City make 13. You just need one more.
I take it they won't be expecting any TV and prize money and will be refunding season ticket holders and people that have paid for tickets if the season is void then?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The season will be null and void because by the time football can be resumed, teams and players will need to go on a mini preseason and it will clash with the schedule for the next one (all of that based on best case scenario). This is much bigger than just Liverpool.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
The season will be null and void because by the time football can be resumed, teams and players will need to go on a mini preseason and it will clash with the schedule for the next one (all of that based on best case scenario). This is much bigger than just Liverpool.
This is the key thing. We’re not trying to arrange everything around them. They should get the same treatment as everyone else.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If they voided it would all the stats from this season count? Or would everything really be wiped? Rashford’s great season? Greenwood’s goals? Fernandes goals?

Surely they could keep it as currrently is but declare no winner or relegation.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I take it they won't be expecting any TV and prize money and will be refunding season ticket holders and people that have paid for tickets if the season is void then?
Liverpool can have the league title* this year, but they will miss out on the CL if we use my recently created 'Totally Unbiased Eric Cantona Football Fans Unite Let's Do This!' system. Yes, it's a little wordy, but it gets the point across.

For me, and I honestly believe this is the fairest solution to this mess, we should choose next seasons CL representatives based entirely on how many league titles they have won over, say, the last 30 years.

The following clubs have unfortunately been excluded:

Arsenal - because DT is annoying
Newcastle - because Shearer said no
And Blackburn - because feck off Blackburn.

What do you think dipper?

Berbaclass

If they voided it would all the stats from this season count? Or would everything really be wiped? Rashford’s great season? Greenwood’s goals? Fernandes goals?

Are there any precedents of seasons being stopped before competition?

Greck

«The idea that the season should be void is little more than a malign fantasy peddled by those trying to weaponise a pandemic to stop a rival team and its supporters claiming what is rightfully theirs.» - Oliver Holt.

He stated it maliciously but he isn't wrong on saying people are way too motivated by making sure Liverpool don't win the title. The TV companies I assume are also trying to recoup value they would lose although I'm not sure how they make money. From their pov the Liverpool must not win narrative may be frustrating to keep coming back to. They have interests more important to them than Liverpool winning

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Would imagine player stats would stand.

shahzy

The only way play it behind closed doors. The EPL has enough money to test teams before the game and after (I have no idea how long these take)
48 hour turn around at private institutions. Like with all serology it's a PCR. Any other doctors on here feel free to correct me but that's what I vaguely remember from 1st year med school.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
Surely they won’t vote to void the league at this stage. It’s way too early to make a decision like that.

If everything is still shut down in June a vote would be appropriate then because the following season will be in jeopardy at that point.

Money talks in football and I would think a full uninterrupted season starting on schedule in August is worth more to all the clubs than finishing the last quarter of the previous season, which would cause huge scheduling, logistical and contractual problems.
What makes you think that the new season could start in August? And why are you assuming that next season won't be disrupted either? You could potentially have two campaigns that have been cancelled. Yes it's all speculation but my point is there is zero need to void this season when we dont even know if next season can be disruption free. It really does make sense to complete this season whether it's April, June, Sept etc. What should definitely not happen is Liverpool to be given the title when they haven't mathematically won it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
All this talk of clubs voting to void the league misses the key point that we have no idea we won't still be in lockdown months on.

There will be a point it's pretty obvious it needs voiding.

People can't seriously think it could be october and we're still trying to tidy up 2019-20

Berbaclass

All this talk of clubs voting to void the league misses the key point that we have no idea we won't still be in lockdown months on.

There will be a point it's pretty obvious it needs voiding.

People can't seriously think it could be october and we're still trying to tidy up 2019-20
I think they should set a deadline of a certain date. If things alleviate before then, good we finish the season. If not cancel it and begin prepping to start when safe.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

‘claiming what is rightfully theirs’

Our Ollie has evidently watched too much Game of Thrones.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Even the break is given teams an unfair advantage. Harry Kane and Son could be back in April. Definitely Son.
I don't get this argument. It was unfair on Tottenham these players were injured in the first place.

Borderline impossible. The PL clubs all wanted to test all their players before they were positive. They couldn't. They can't just jump the queue because they have money, those with symptoms are prioritised for testing.

There will be self testing kits coming out soon o guess, but still one player having it will mean the rest of the league will need to quarantine again.

This season simply won't finish.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
The Swedish Hockey League (SHL) today decided to void the whole season. No clubs get relegated and no one wins.

All the matches in regular season just finished (52 games). But since the finals and regulation finals is still to play they decided to void it all.

If this happens in PL it Will mean no trophy for Liverpool. And no CL for United (if not 5th get CL since City fecked up with FPP).
And also no Championship club promotion either.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Logic is not my biggest strength? Says the guy who contradicts his own argument by saying Liverpool aren't mathematically champions, but the also says even if you have a lead of 40 points after 37 games yo are still not champions? Where's the logic there!

I know the league is not only about 1 team which is why I have said that my preference is for the league to be resumed as soon as it is safe to do so, however long it takes.
You are the best entertainment in this thread

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If City is banned from the CL next season and this season is void, won't it go off last seasons finishes for next season European participants?

Therefore Arsenal would be in the CL...
Emery in!

Berbaclass

We should have a modern day version of the Nike Secret Tournament to decide everything. Put it on a big ship somewhere too so it’s essentially a floating quarantine vessel.

podurban2

The Swedish Hockey League (SHL) today decided to void the whole season. No clubs get relegated and no one wins.

All the matches in regular season just finished (52 games). But since the finals and regulation finals is still to play they decided to void it all.

If this happens in PL it Will mean no trophy for Liverpool. And no CL for United (if not 5th get CL since City fecked up with FPP).
And also no Championship club promotion either.
You really can’t compare the SHL to the PL since it has play-offs rather than a standard league format. Everyone knows that the games running up to the play-offs don’t mean anything except for seeding.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
You really can’t compare the SHL to the PL since it has play-offs rather than a standard league format. Everyone knows that the games running up to the play-offs don’t mean anything except for seeding.
Yeah but facts is still that the whole season has been played, all 52 matches. And there is a huge points difference between 1 & 2 in the table this year in SHL. Same as Liverpools.

All i mean is that they ”won” the League with 15+ points after 52 games and dont get a trophy. So why should Liverpool when they dont even mathematically have the points for it?

it will be same rules for PL. All void!

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Finish the last nine games in August if need be, then play the next season without CL and EL, following season make the CL bigger (group stage of 64 teams and 16 groups, as the ro16 is staged in four weeks they can put the ro32 and 16 in those slots like EL do) with all teams that qualify this season and next invited to that tournament.

Yes it will be complicated as the new signings will be in for the end of this season but out of all options this one is by far the least complicated, there's no perfect answer really.
This will not happen 100%. The CL/Eal is the biggest income stream for 85% of clubs in Europe. UEFA also make a ton from it. No way does that happen.

RE: Twitter post about voting

Indeed. A point that is being forgotten is that if they vote to end the season now as it is, it will set a precedent that means such measures can be taken in future. Therefore, all teams outside of Utd, Dippers, City, Spuds, Le Arse, Wolves, Leicester, and Everton may find themselves in a similar situation to the current bottom three. In my opinion, none of them vote for ending it is as it is because it is a massive gamble for them. For the 8 teams listed, Spuds, Chelsea and City benefit from a voiding. Further to this, Everton and Le Arse do not have much to lose from a voiding. For that reason the season finishing as is, is never going to get the votes needed.

The only other option is to try and finish the season. However, how long do you hold out for this? A month or two maximum is the most I would say. The reasons for this is fitness levels and the impact on future seasons and revenues. Further, other leagues are already indicating that a voiding is going to happen, once they do it, it will be hard for others not to follow suit.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
79 were in ths CL this season.

UEFA may have to scrap the group stage for 2020-21.

Knock out competition starting in late Oct with 79 teams. Get it down to 64 with the usual play offs for the smaller teams.

So a round of 64 and a round of 32 in Nov and Dec.

PL scraps the league cup. Then comes up with some sort of play off system to be played in Aug/Sep/Oct to decide the CL places.

I think this season is gone. The above or something similar is the only way around the problem unless UEFA do it on historical rankings.

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
there is no pressure to crown Liverpool as champions for feck sake. It literally doesn’t matter in the scheme of things. Void the season and don’t even think about restarting until the WHO declare that it isn’t a pandemic anymore*

*Is that how it works? If it’s seen as less dangerous does it stop being a pandemic or will it always be one now?
Just look around this forum. Most people can see how harsh it is on liverpool. It has been the most one sided league in a very long time. And it's not just liverpool being crowned champions. It's when you take the issue of premier league winners with champions league contestants and relegation teams as a whole. On what principle could could decide who are going to be in the champions league and not who are the champions?

They wont want to just appeal to previous seasons or a weird 'average' points score. It's so unprofessional. The one way to deal with all three issues is to finish the season somehow.

So I'd say yes, accumulating all of the issues including how close liverpool are to becoming champions, I'd say the authorities are strongly inclined to try and finish the season rather than make it void.

M16Red

I don't get this argument. It was unfair on Tottenham these players were injured in the first place.

Borderline impossible. The PL clubs all wanted to test all their players before they were positive. They couldn't. They can't just jump the queue because they have money, those with symptoms are prioritised for testing.

There will be self testing kits coming out soon o guess, but still one player having it will mean the rest of the league will need to quarantine again.

This season simply won't finish.
It unfair that any player gets injured like Pogba - but that's football.

Erm. Pal the MD at missus company has been tested 3 times privately. He had Sars when it went off and he lives in Hong Kong - but guess where he is now England.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I said this already, but if this ‘14-club majority’ claim is true, it’s nothing a few £20m brown envelopes to ‘floater clubs’ can’t fixed from a Liverpool perspective. Let’s see how desperate they are to continue this season to its bitter end.
I’ve never known bitterness like yours. It’s borderline unhealthy. Worse than the sort of stuff you can read on RAWK.

This is a difficult calol to make right now because no one knows what the situation will be like in three weeks. The government’s handling of the situation makes me think things will get worse.

M16Red

48 hour turn around at private institutions. Like with all serology it's a PCR. Any other doctors on here feel free to correct me but that's what I vaguely remember from 1st year med school.
Read that utd were testing twice a day is was the mail though. :wenger:

PoTMS

Interested to see how many would prefer a null and void Premier League season with no champion and us dropping back into the Europa League next season against Liverpool being declared champions and us being in the Champions League for next season. Call me bitter, but I'm firmly in the former category.