Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Took two very good chances from his teammates while he was in offside positions.

Good finish but I thought he was very poor once again.
Pretty much

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
One goal can really cloud people's opinion. Got slightly better after that but really lazy coming out of offside, while complaining about a pass while he can't complete pass to save his life himself. Really annoying to have a footballer who really is such an egoist and fecks up every attack. Decision making absolutely awful. At least well taken goal this time.

Really sucks to have Martial made from glass and see Ronaldo getting minutes he doesn't deserve.

Irwin99

Thought he played pretty well overall even without the goal. Defensive contribution was good, won battles in the air and set up the 'goal' for Rashford

Still think he or Martial can be our best number 9 when full fit. Rashford belongs on that left. Antonty has pretty much made that right spot his own.

kundalini

Scored a goal. Apart from that, played ok. Didn't like him heading wide when offside, given Bruno was onside and in a better position to get a header on target since the cross was too high for Ronaldo. Another offside ruled out Fernandes shot that ended up in the net.

Last edited:

redcucumber

Thought he played pretty well overall even without the goal. Defensive contribution was good, won battles in the air and set up the 'goal' for Rashford

Still think he or Martial can be our best number 9 when full fit. Rashford belongs on that left. Antonty has pretty much made that right spot his own.
Martial is patently much more of what we need up top. He's fantastic at build up play which lets up dominate possession in the opposition half and final third, which isn't the case with Ronaldo

Rossa

One goal can really cloud people's opinion. Got slightly better after that but really lazy coming out of offside, while complaining about a pass while he can't complete pass to save his life himself. Really annoying to have a footballer who really is such an egoist and fecks up every attack. Decision making absolutely awful. At least well taken goal this time.

Really sucks to have Martial made from glass and see Ronaldo getting minutes he doesn't deserve.
A supporter commenting on today’s match winner.

Good for you mate!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thank Christ he scored, we can't afford performances like the one midweek, especially with Martial's unreliable fitness. Hopefully it continues.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
700 club goals is absolutely mental. Could score 40 goals a season for 17 years and not get that. That is just crazy. What a career.

Irwin99

Martial is patently much more of what we need up top. He's fantastic at build up play which lets up dominate possession in the opposition half and final third, which isn't the case with Ronaldo
I would also give the nod to Martial at the moment but it's a case of consistency and staying injury free for him. If Ronaldo gets back to the levels he was at for periods last season then he's definitely in contention though. I prefer him in the centre to Rashford who looks a far better player on the left.

Got to say, some very harsh opinions on here about Ronaldo's performance today. A few mistakes getting back onside at times seem to be being remembered and nothing about the defensive work, good link up play and you know, actually scoring the winning goal. I'm not saying he was 10 out of 10 amazing but that was a decent enough 6.5 or 7 out of 10 performance. It's not as if the goal masked an abject display overall.

Marwood

How have we ended up in a place where Manchester United fans really dislike Ronaldo to the level they do. It's nuts. Hyper critical stuff.

I was really happy for him today. Been frustrating watching him struggling for goals.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Not his biggest fan, far from it but boy, do we need him to hit form this season. Martial will give us 120 minutes over a period of 3-4 weeks. Will need someone else to play upfront the rest of the time.
Took the goal well today but got more and more ineffective as the game went on.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Watch your back, Haaland!

Now seriously, lets hope this will be a sign that our season is going to change.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Savour it whilst he's still playing. It might be his last winner for the club.

redcucumber

How have we ended up in a place where Manchester United fans really dislike Ronaldo to the level they do. It's nuts. Hyper critical stuff.

I was really happy for him today. Been frustrating watching him struggling for goals.
People aren't keen on the shit that comes with him. The report from The Times the other day about him once again not being happy with how training is being conducted, as a very recent example. It's frustrating, particularly after the circus of his own making that blighted the entirety of the summer.

Marwood

People aren't keen on the shit that comes with him. The report from The Times the other day about him once again not being happy with how training is being conducted, as a very recent example. It's frustrating, particularly after the circus of his own making that blighted the entirety of the summer.
You don't have to believe every "report" that comes out.

A legend of the game, massive success first time at United, getting the chance to see an all time great for a second spell and people are ready to chuck those memories in the bin because a "journalist" says something.

lex talionis

Some serious hate on Ronaldo, who scored the match winner today and overall put in a decent performance. Won the ball that led to the wrongly disallowed Rashford goal and was quite decent in the buildup.

redcucumber

You don't have to believe every "report" that comes out.

A legend of the game, massive success first time at United, getting the chance to see an all time great for a second spell and people are ready to chuck those memories in the bin because a "journalist" says something.
Isn't it widely known that Duncan Castles gets fed a fair bit of stuff through Mendes, Ronaldo's agent? He was the one that broke the news in the summer about Ronaldo wanting to leave. And besides, is it seriously that hard to believe? ten Hag and Ronaldo's styles don't suit and Ronaldo has become a perennial sub. It's not exactly a gigantic leap of faith to acknowledge there might be a bit of truth to it. Also, he obviously wanted to leave in the summer. He missed preseason and trained alone FFS! It's not just some "journalist" saying something. People really stick the blinkers on when it comes to Ronaldo.

MrEleson

Isn't it widely known that Duncan Castles gets fed a fair bit of stuff through Mendes, Ronaldo's agent? He was the one that broke the news in the summer about Ronaldo wanting to leave. And besides, is it seriously that hard to believe? ten Hag and Ronaldo's styles don't suit and Ronaldo has become a perennial sub. It's not exactly a gigantic leap of faith to acknowledge there might be a bit of truth to it. Also, he obviously wanted to leave in the summer. He missed preseason and trained alone FFS! It's not just some "journalist" saying something. People really stick the blinkers on when it comes to Ronaldo.
Fabrizio Romano who’s just about the most reliable reporter around said it wasn’t true.

Marwood

Buddy you want to toss away all the positives we've shared with Ronaldo over the years because of unverified stories, rumours and him maybe wanting to leave(he'll be leaving anyway come end of season) go ahead.

redcucumber

Buddy you want to toss away all the positives we've shared with Ronaldo over the years because of unverified stories, rumours and him maybe wanting to leave(he'll be leaving anyway come end of season) go ahead.
I'm not tossing it all away at all. I was gutted he didn't get a goal on Thursday and was buzzing with his finish tonight. I'll be at the ground on Thursday and if he gets on the pitch I'll be cheering him on all the way. It doesn't negate the other stuff, though.

Abraxas

He was decent, to be fair to him. Had one or two greedy moments where I think Martial would have found the less selfish option. But ultimately he scored a good finish, that wasn't a simple conversion and his play was reasonably good.

Marwood

I'm not tossing it all away at all. I was gutted he didn't get a goal on Thursday and was buzzing with his finish tonight. I'll be at the ground on Thursday and if he gets on the pitch I'll be cheering him on all the way. It doesn't negate the other stuff, though.
Well my initial point was the level of venom some have for him and you responded it was because of things like the Duncan Castles piece. So I'm presuming you think the its somewhat justified.

To me the two things don't add up.

It's like divorcing your much loved wife of 50 years because one day she displeased you.

Bigger picture guys.

Anyway scored the winner tonight and hopefully with the disallowed goal showed the others that something as basic as winning a header can create a chance.

criticalanalysis

When he was involved, he was generally good imo. Plays it simple, did a bit of pressing and was in good positions. Unfortunately, we're not good enough to shut down and dominate possession etc at the moment so when we don't have the ball, he's bit of a liability because even if he does try hard, it's still a 37 year old trying hard.

Having said that, we messed up quite a few attacks in transition/when we had the ball near their penalty box. He probably could have finished or set someone up if it got to him.

Last edited:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
That's as well as he's played this season. Didn't always make the right decision but looked sharp and motivated. No bullshit. That Ronaldo, we can use.

DutchCruijff

Did anyone notice how he completely ignored McClaren and van der Gaarg at the end? Completely and utterly blanked the both of them and neither did the two of them reach out.

Yikes.

MrBest

Some people do not understand football. I thought Ronaldo was good today, worked hard for the team, chased the ball, acted a target man, got into good spaces, scored a great goal, laid off Rashford disallowed goal and he delivered overall. What more do people want from him? A hat trick every game? He's 37, perhaps one last season here, finding his rhythm, I think he will get better as the season goes on, I think 20 goals would be fantastic for him this year.

Redderp

His goal was great and he looked better than in his other games, but man i really hate how it’s clearly Ronaldo first and United second. You can just tell that he rather score a hattrick in a defeat than not scoring in a win. I really don’t like seeing it.

MUFC OK

You never know. But Ronnie is nearing 38 years old. It's difficult to predict with 100% certainty when a players time is up, but in Ronnie's age somethings gotta give soon. But I'm not certain he's finished yet, but I don't think his ability justifies his wages anymore.
We live in a time where great/shit are the only two options. He’s definitely not the latter. Like I said earlier in the thread, it’s almost impossible for him onto completely lose it after how good he was last season. Great goal today too.

MUFC OK

His goal was great and he looked better than in his other games, but man i really hate how it’s clearly Ronaldo first and United second. You can just tell that he rather score a hattrick in a defeat than not scoring in a win. I really don’t like seeing it.
Strongly disagree with this. Ronaldo always wants his goal but most of all wants to win in my opinion. As I see it, he’s pissed when the club isn’t performing and reaching the standards he believes we should which isn’t dissimilar to how we feel as fans.

His reaction to Antony’s debut goal despite being benched was evidence of this for me but I guess it’s not provable either way in terms of what Ronaldo would prefer between personal glory and success of the team. What evidence do you have to make the bolded statement?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He’ll manage it before the age of 35 if he stays fit. No question.
Given his injury records in the past, even Haaland himself might have question that.

He is currently on 176 (reserve level doesn’t count), so he is 642 goals behind Ronaldo current record of 817.

To match that before age 35, assume he will score 60 goals this season (he is currently on 20), he will still need to score avg 50 goals per season over the next 12 seasons.

The thing is, even with his impressive goals per game ratio, he only managed to score 29 goals last season. While his career best season up to date is 41 goals. Another season or 2 similar to last one, it is likely he won’t be able to reach that figure.

But of course that would also include international goal too. But given that Norway won’t feature much in major tournament, whereas he scored 21 international goals in the past 3 years, we can assume he might get avg 7 international goals per year. Therefore he will need:

22-23: 60 club goals (currently on 20)
23-24 onwards (over next 12 seasons): 43 club goals + 7 international goals per season

On his currently form, sure it’s achievable. But only that we don’t know if he could stay fit/consistent for that long, we also don’t know how his body will cope with his physical decline after he reach 30+. Players who rely heavily on physical strength+pace usually doesn’t last long beyond their 30s (ie Rooney, Drogba decline sharply at around 31-32)

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Nonsense. He did try win the ball back for the team couple of times, and create some chances for his teammates to score. He also involved himself in build up play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.