Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why should the manager have to tip toe around a washed up 38 year old and live in fear he might upset his fanboys and fellow teammates who are in awe of him.

Ten Hag needs to tell the likes of Bruno and antony that their one and only job isn't to serve Ronaldo and get upset if he gets subbed if that's the case.
Because this is not how it works in real life. Players will always defer to him when he's on the pitch. People here treat players as if they are walking attributes or robots. If they grew up idolizing him they are not going to stop and will defer to his stature, unless they are big personalities themselves, which we have far and few between.

Amarsdd

I think we saw the exaggerated version of what we saw last season that caused Ronaldo to score 20+ goals but United as a team socre less. Consciously or subconsciously , all the attacks get directed towards him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
if the lazy fecker spent less time shaking his head and tried to get back onside in a reasonable time, he'd have a goal and 3 points.

Why is he just strolling back with all the time in the world? ridiculous.

Abraxas

I'd pay Ronaldo's taxi to Southampton to get Che Adams for a season. Always gives us a proper game.

Pickle85

They are. What the feck does Ronaldo do on the pitch these days? Don't look at the past. Look at his performance now. He can't get shots off. He is slow. He can't make runs in behind. He is weak. He is lazy and a complete 0 defensively. He gives it away constantly. He can't dribble. He complains all day, and has the nerve to shake his head and laugh at the decision to sub him off after he was a fecking charity winner on the pitch for 70 minutes and out of his depth.

Don't kid yourself. Ronaldo is fecking finished as a footballer.
He's had a poor season so far and I agree we need to move on from him, but he's still much more of an actual threat to the opposition goal than any of the players I mentioned. I think the opinions of many are colored by their dislike of the player, his ego and his antics.

Luka Mora

Because this is not how it works in real life. Players will always defer to him when he's on the pitch. People here treat players as if they are walking attributes or robots. If they grew up idolizing him they are not going to stop and will defer to his stature, unless they are big personalities themselves, which we have far and few between.
You talk about real life, but you think the players are or should ignore the managers commands and instead play for ronaldo? If that's really happening then it shows Ten Hag as weak. These players are professionals they have roles and instructions to carry out, not do as they please otherwise we may as well bring Ole back and let the players just express themselves on the pitch and freestyle.

I don't care if they still have ronaldo bed sheets, and I know these players are not robots, but they need to get it through their heads, especially Bruno, that this isn't fecking Ronaldo FC, this is Manchester United

Based Adnan

His poor performances are made worse by the fact that Bruno, Antony and Dalot always try and force it to him despite better options being present

Adam-Utd

He's had a poor season so far and I agree we need to move on from him, but he's still much more of an actual threat to the opposition goal than any of the players I mentioned. I think the opinions of many are colored by their dislike of the player, his ego and his antics.
about 100 different strikers would be just the same threat as him.

What separates him from Callum Wilson these days? obviously we all respect Ronaldo's achievements, but unless he's able to counter attack into space he just messes everything up now.

Pickle85

It is though. They’re middling to decent Premier League strikers who are a handful.

We might as well move the statue of Denis Law from the car park to the edge of the box, it’d offer more than he does.
It isn't, though. Maybe you need to look up the definition of 'fact'. The players i mentioned are bang average strikers with poor records of scoring. You know...that part of a striker's game that's actually quite important. Maybe its less fashionable than the ability to press from the front these days, but I'm still one of those that thinks their 9 should contribute goals.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No but actually, how is he a threat to the opposition goal beyond name value? He literally doesn't look like a threat at all. He doesn't get shots off. Good positions are made worse when he gets them because he's unable to turn them into meaningful shots. He really just doesn't offer much on the ball or in the attack anymore, and I don't understand how somebody who actually watches him could say otherwise. Look past name value and "oh it's Ronaldo he's scored 700 goals". Players aren't scared of him and the second he has to take a touch these days, the chance is almost always over. He's too slow to react turn a touch into a quick snap shot anymore.

I'm not saying the others are bigger threats necessarily, but they offer something at least. Ronaldo offers actually nothing. They at least work hard off the ball, press, or can actually offer physicality in attack or link up with others. Ronaldo actually doesn't do any of this. He's a complete 0 on and off the ball.

arthurka

Hate to watch him, he makes this team less of an attacking threat. We look much better with Martial but he is never available.

Pickle85

about 100 different strikers would be just the same threat as him.

What separates him from Callum Wilson these days? obviously we all respect Ronaldo's achievements, but unless he's able to counter attack into space he just messes everything up now.
I like callum Wilson tbf. Would take him ahead of Ronaldo atm because he's good for a goal or two and has mobility that Ronaldo has lost.

bosnian_red

It isn't, though. Maybe you need to look up the definition of 'fact'. The players i mentioned are bang average strikers with poor records of scoring. You know...that part of a striker's game that's actually quite important. Maybe its less fashionable than the ability to press from the front these days, but I'm still one of those that thinks their 9 should contribute goals.
Ah right, like Ronaldo does these days? 14 games for club and country, 1 penalty and then last week's goal against Everton the only goal threat he managed. Looked out of his depth against Cyprian opposition ffs.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You talk about real life, but you think the players are or should ignore the managers commands and instead play for ronaldo? If that's really happening then it shows Ten Hag as weak. These players are professionals they have roles and instructions to carry out, not do as they please otherwise we may as well bring Ole back and let the players just express themselves on the pitch and freestyle.

I don't care if they still have ronaldo bed sheets, and I know these players are not robots, but they need to get it through their heads, especially Bruno, that this isn't fecking Ronaldo FC, this is Manchester United
You are talking about an idealistic situation mate. Of course players should listen to the manager but as we can clearly see that ain't happening on the pitch, unless ETH is saying play impossible balls into Ronaldo.

Pickle85

No but actually, how is he a threat to the opposition goal beyond name value? He literally doesn't look like a threat at all. He doesn't get shots off. Good positions are made worse when he gets them because he's unable to turn them into meaningful shots. He really just doesn't offer much on the ball or in the attack anymore, and I don't understand how somebody who actually watches him could say otherwise. Look past name value and "oh it's Ronaldo he's scored 700 goals". Players aren't scared of him and the second he has to take a touch these days, the chance is almost always over. He's too slow to react turn a touch into a quick snap shot anymore.

I'm not saying the others are bigger threats necessarily, but they offer something at least. Ronaldo offers actually nothing. They at least work hard off the ball, press, or can actually offer physicality in attack or link up with others. Ronaldo actually doesn't do any of this. He's a complete 0 on and off the ball.
Was our top scorer last season ffs. He's been in and out the team, not had a proper preseason etc. Its not like he's become utterly useless in the space of six months.

Pickle85

Ah right, like Ronaldo does these days? 14 games for club and country, 1 penalty and then last week's goal against Everton the only goal threat he managed. Looked out of his depth against Cyprian opposition ffs.
Please let's not compare che adams goalscoring with Ronaldo's. It's a pointless conversation.

phelans shorts

I may be mistaken, but the majority of those players have scored more than Ronaldo this season. In less minutes.

Bamford possibly hasn’t scored as he’s been injured mind.

Pickle85

I may be mistaken, but the majority of those players have scored more than Ronaldo this season. In less minutes.

Bamford possibly hasn’t scored as he’s been injured mind.
All have played more minutes than Ronaldo. Che adams has double the minutes played.

Adam-Utd

I like callum Wilson tbf. Would take him ahead of Ronaldo atm because he's good for a goal or two and has mobility that Ronaldo has lost.
That's sort of what im saying though, there's quite a few journeyman types that you'd take ahead of him now.

I really do think next year when he leaves the team will go up another level.

We need to find our own Gabriel Jesus type signing.

bosnian_red

Was our top scorer last season ffs. He's been in and out the team, not had a proper preseason etc. Its not like he's become utterly useless in the space of six months.
Last season is last season. And yes, he has become completely useless in 6 months. 6 months, at his age, makes a massive difference. Also considering he was useless for half of last season too. He's turning 38 soon. It was inevitably going to happen, but once age brings you off the cliff, that's it, it's a rapid fall.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
There is some kind of violence in me looking at him just lazily joggin out of offside or today with him jogging to be subbed. Once a hero but now a total disgrace to the club. Just playing for himself not for the club.

Should be kicked out of the club, his technique is terrible, losing all the balls in interplay and can't finish to save his life, while just jogging around.

Pickle85

That's sort of what im saying though, there's quite a few journeyman types that you'd take ahead of him now.

I really do think next year when he leaves the team will go up another level.

We need to find our own Gabriel Jesus type signing.
Agree with this. And for the sake of clarity I totally agree that we need better than him now. The point in arguing is that there's no side that has poorer starting 9s than him.

KeanoMagicHat

He’s 37, not unreasonable that he becomes shite within 6 months. His overall game was declining rapidly, now the finishing and goals have gone too. It’s like the end of Rooney here.

Luka Mora

You are talking about an idealistic situation mate. Of course players should listen to the manager but as we can clearly see that ain't happening on the pitch, unless ETH is saying play impossible balls into Ronaldo.
With all due respect, I don't see what's idealistic about expecting Bruno to thread a simple through ball through the middle when sancho is running through space unmarked, instead of seeing him be an unprofessional fanboy and choose to pass to ronaldo who is drifting wide.

This all just highlights the problems this washed diva brings to the team. Undermining manager whenever subbed and making other players feel obliged to pass to him all the fecking time.

Pickle85

Last season is last season. And yes, he has become completely useless in 6 months. 6 months, at his age, makes a massive difference. Also considering he was useless for half of last season too. He's turning 38 soon. It was inevitably going to happen, but once age brings you off the cliff, that's it, it's a rapid fall.
You say all this like its incontrovertible fact, whereas it's your opinion. He's not had a chance to get into the swing of things yet and there's ample evidence from the past that, when he does, he'll score goals. I agree that what he offers at this point isn't sufficient for where we want to be but to day he wouldn't start for any other PL club is hysterical.

bosnian_red

You say all this like its incontrovertible fact, whereas it's your opinion. He's not had a chance to get into the swing of things yet and there's ample evidence from the past that, when he does, he'll score goals. I agree that what he offers at this point isn't sufficient for where we want to be but to day he wouldn't start for any other PL club is hysterical.
He's 37 and almost 38!! It's not a case of let him warm up. It's mid October, he's been training since late July ffs. It doesn't take 3 months to get fit, how hasn't he had a chance to get in a swing of things. Past history doesn't mean anything, in the past he was able to get shots off to a high level and he'd accumulate high xG constantly. Now, his xG is at current Danny Welbeck levels (actually), only he does 0 outside of that miniscule goal threat unlike the other premier league attackers with that goal threat.

If you want an attacker to be a poacher and be a 0 with everything else, he better be scoring every game or close to it. Ronaldo ruins good positions at this stage, he's just done as a premier league level footballer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For all the moans, I dare say we'd all have preferred him on the end of that 95th min cross than Rashy.

bosnian_red

This is a dumb comparison to make. As I say, there's no point.
Why is it dumb? Because of something he did in the past? The past is irrelevant. xG/90 and xA/90 is the most useful metric to look at. Last year Ronaldo had a combined 0.79 xG and xA per 90. He's at 0.4 now. His numbers have fallen off a cliff.

Pickle85

He's 37 and almost 38!! It's not a case of let him warm up. It's mid October, he's been training since late July ffs. It doesn't take 3 months to get fit, how hasn't he had a chance to get in a swing of things. Past history doesn't mean anything, in the past he was able to get shots off to a high level and he'd accumulate high xG constantly. Now, his xG is at current Danny Welbeck levels (actually), only he does 0 outside of that miniscule goal threat unlike the other premier league attackers with that goal threat.

If you want an attacker to be a poacher and be a 0 with everything else, he better be scoring every game or close to it. Ronaldo ruins good positions at this stage, he's just done as a premier league level footballer.
Sorry, but this is just silly. Of course past history means something. I think agreeing to disagree here is the way forward. I don't think we should be starting him but I do think that if southampton, west ham or forest had him, they would.

bosnian_red

For all the moans, I dare say we'd all have preferred him on the end of that 95th min cross than Rashy.
He'd be at the edge of the box moaning probably so it's a moot point. He had 70 minutes to be involved in something meaningful. We created 2 sitters in the 20 minutes he was off the pitch. Not unrelated.

Pickle85

Why is it dumb? Because of something he did in the past? The past is irrelevant. xG/90 and xA/90 is the most useful metric to look at. Last year Ronaldo had a combined 0.79 xG and xA per 90. He's at 0.4 now. His numbers have fallen off a cliff.
You keep saying the past is irrelevant but you do realise that all we have to judge players on, beyond what they do in the exact instant we're judging them, is past performance, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.