Status
Not open for further replies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Didn't realise the GD was 11 and 10.
His insanely bad finishing in the Nicosia away game actually mattered :lol:

Xaviboy

What happens to a 37 year old when he misses full pre season. Showing big time.

Offers nothing in our build up play. Lost his touch and awareness and doesnt look sharpe with his movement.

doomy20

There is only one person who offers even less - Tony Martial. Plays 3 weeks then goes back to injury break for 6 weeks.

the_cliff

There is only one person who offers even less - Tony Martial. Plays 3 weeks then goes back to injury break for 6 weeks.
Well Martial has more goals and more assists than him this season so I'd disagree. :lol:

Gazza

Well Martial has more goals and more assists than him this season so I'd disagree. :lol:
He’s been banging the same drum for a while, from Ronaldo’s Transfer Out thread in August:

“doomy20” said:
It’s funny how the thread is titled Out and many still think he leaves. Face the truth, he will stay, he will play Martial out of the starting11 after 4,5 games and goes on to score 25+ during the course of the season.

acnumber9

For all his other current faults it’s harsh to call that chance a sitter. It takes a great finish to score that.

Eddy_JukeZ

We're not going to make top 4 if he plays a decent amount in the Prem.

He's absolutely finished.

Djemba-Djemba

It's pretty much night and day with our performances this season with Ronaldo and then without.

Especially since ETH really got things settled down, compare the way we played after Rashford came on vs Newcastle, the entire 90 against Spurs and most of the game vs Chelsea where we had control of the game and were creating chances to the first hour vs Newcastle or West Ham or tonight.

We look disjointed and toothless anytime he starts.

Desperately need him to go in January.

ForeverRed1

It’s down to if ETH dares bench him after how much controversy it causes. Must be crap when your trying to do your best for a club and get loaded with so much shite for benching a player.

bakalhau

Do you think he knows he's completely finished or is his ego so huge he's deluded to it all?
None of those, rather something in between in my view. Being finished is something that doesn't exist in his mind (regardless of whether he is or not) - so self belief is one of his bigger traits. Obviously he one day might feel like that and hang it up for good or just leave European football. But in addition to this, a fundamental pillar of what has allowed him to have the career he's had is self improvement, so I think he can fundamentally understand when he's doing okay, when he's not doing okay, and if he already works day in, day out, every day, when he's not doing okay he works extra hard to change course. Whether he can do it or not, it's starting to depend on factors he can't control, so, we'll see about that. But I think he definitely knows he hasn't been up to his own standard.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
As much as I want Ronaldo out of the starting lineup.....it is rather sad to see such a great footballer look completely past his best. You almost wish the real legends of the game all called time on their careers just when they needed to. I suppose the world cup is keeping him going but he needs to forget the CL now. He's not up to that anymore.

BorisManUtd

Find it shocking that he just can't find the net. While age is a factor, how can it all just fall off the cliff.
It's amazing really. While back in August/September I hoped that it was largely due to not going to preseason, it's November now and same stuff. Last summer when Ronaldo was coming we all thought 'yeah he's 36 but it's Ronaldo' and he scored all those important goals in CL group matches. Now he can't score in Europa League. He's few months from turning 38 and most of the players are past it by then but the way it happened with Ronaldo and his finishing so quickly is odd.

He should start v Villa in Carabao Cup and stay on the bench for 2 league games. I'll be really mad with ten Hag if Ronaldo starts in those 2 remaining league games.

Abraxas

The worst moment for me was when he was chasing a Sociedad player and his legs completely deserted him, ending up in a heap. Completely lost a physical duel. Seems to have lost all power in his legs.

Greck

It's amazing really. While back in August/September I hoped that it was largely due to not going to preseason, it's November now and same stuff. Last summer when Ronaldo was coming we all thought 'yeah he's 36 but it's Ronaldo' and he scored all those important goals in CL group matches. Now he can't score in Europa League. He's few months from turning 38 and most of the players are past it by then but the way it happened with Ronaldo and his finishing so quickly is odd.

He should start v Villa in Carabao Cup and stay on the bench for 2 league games. I'll be really mad with ten Hag if Ronaldo starts in those 2 remaining league games.
He shouldn't start another game till he improves and no he isn't better than Rashford. We also need to stop throwing him into games against lower competition. These days Ronaldo shits the bed against anyone.

Case in point our last domestic cup game (i think) against Boro where he completely flopped and we lost on penalties. It's actually a bit of a myth that his form this season came overnight. We pissed away some of the most pivotal parts of last season backing Ronaldo through horrific form. He found it when all was already lost. This Europa league thing better not come back to haunt us.

BorisManUtd

He shouldn't start another game till he improves and no he isn't better than Rashford. We also need to stop throwing him into games against lower competition. These days Ronaldo shits the bed against anyone.

Case in point our last domestic cup game (i think) against Boro where he completely flopped and we lost. It's actually a bit of a myth that his form this season came overnight. We pissed away some of the most pivotal parts of last season backing Ronaldo through horrific form. He found it when all was already lost. This Europa league thing better not come back to haunt us.
Yeah but I don't want first 11 players getting tired in Carabao Cup few days before important league game. Carabao Cup is obviously a chance for a trophy but don't care much about it.

CloneMC16

Case in point our last domestic cup game (i think) against Boro where he completely flopped and we lost on penalties. It's actually a bit of a myth that his form this season came overnight. We pissed away some of the most pivotal parts of last season backing Ronaldo through horrific form. He found it when all was already lost. This Europa league thing better not come back to haunt us.
That Boro game was a joke. Ronaldo and Bruno were both awful and cost us the game. Ronaldo was absolutely awful for us between Dec-Feb last season. He looked like he does now. He at least had more excuses last season. He was playing every game in that period. You could make the argument that he was playing way too much for his age. He did better when the games were more spread out.

He started to score again when the season was already over. We were out of the CL and had lost too many points in the PL to finish 4th.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
There is something interesting and weird about Ronaldo's current form–the skill that went to complete garbage is his finishing! Not movement, not even acceleration, but finishing!

Now, this is strange because a precise shot doesn't require young body. Most old, retired players can take a great shot. It is about years of training and mental coolness. There is no way Ronaldo is not training enough and we know skills he has, so the problem has to be mental?

Raincool165

It's pretty much night and day with our performances this season with Ronaldo and then without.

Especially since ETH really got things settled down, compare the way we played after Rashford came on vs Newcastle, the entire 90 against Spurs and most of the game vs Chelsea where we had control of the game and were creating chances to the first hour vs Newcastle or West Ham or tonight.

We look disjointed and toothless anytime he starts.

Desperately need him to go in January.
Precisely! Cannot agree more.

Golden Nugget

It's even more irritating to know GD ended up the difference. All those chances against Omonia and Sheriff. We prioritized CR in chance creation and substitution pattern even after it was clear they couldn't keep up with Rashford.
Exactly This. I was annoyed at the time and annoys me even more now, as we treated The game as a friendly or something and cared about Ronaldo getting 700 rather than a result that can boost our goal difference.

Greck

Exactly This. I was annoyed at the time and annoys me even more now, as we treated The game as a friendly or something and cared about Ronaldo getting 700 rather than a result that can boost our goal difference.
Do you want to get even madder? His disasterclass in the first leg is why we were in such an unfavourable position to begin with. We played them better but ended up losing by a goal thanks to yours truly floundering every key chance.

People said it was hating at the time but if they could take their heads out of his arse for a second they'd have understood rather than hound the manager. Sticking with the guy was risking the wellbeing of this season's europa campaign. Disasterclass performances they'd say entitled him to start the next league game. Ronaldo shouldn't have made it past the hour in any of those games but subbing him would amount to disrespect or something.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Simply cannot start on Sunday.
Watch him start, predicably stink up the place and ETH to shuffle everyone else around in less than optimal positions to cater to him and finish the game.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Wonder if pundits will stop going on about how all the chances our other players have missed would've been scored if Ronaldo had been in that position. Need to replace him yesterday. And get him out of the club.
They won't. When the likes of Keane were making those stupid statements, Ronaldo had already missed sitters in a bunch of games.

Kopral Jono

What happens to a 37 year old when he misses full pre season. Showing big time.

Offers nothing in our build up play. Lost his touch and awareness and doesnt look sharpe with his movement.
The majority in this forum seem to think bolded is more excuses but it simply isn't. As I mentioned before, the line between sustaining a semblance sharpness and completely falling off is incredibly fine at a geriatric age. He absolutely needed a full pre-season to maintain the former and he failed to do just that because of his overinflated ego.

He only has himself to blame.

Golden Nugget

Do you want to get even madder? His disasterclass in the first leg is why we were in such an unfavourable position to begin with. We played them better but ended up losing by a goal thanks to yours truly floundering every key chance.

People said it was hating at the time but if they could take their heads out of his arse for a second they'd have understood rather than hound the manager. Sticking with the guy was risking the wellbeing of this season's europa campaign. Disasterclass performances they'd say entitled him to start the next league game. Ronaldo shouldn't have made it past the hour in any of those games but subbing him would amount to disrespect or something.
Arugh. I remember watching it, and it feels worse now after all thats happened.

Its a sad end for his career, for his United career - but after missing pre season to try and force his way out; causing a fuss when he’s subbed off or left on the bench; all his hand waving and disappointment when he doesn’t get a pass (despite him fluffing everything that goes to him) makes me feel little sympathy for him. Accept a bench role; accept a bit part role and I’d respect him as I once did.

Absolutely hate that he’s getting what he wanted after causing a fuss once again

Nordmore

Tbh I'm seriously thinking about canceling my TV subcription if he starts next match. I barely watch any TV anyway and pay for the whole package just to watch United. Can't stand the current shitshow anymore.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
As @Pogue Mahone expertly explained a couple of months back. The older you get, you lose your balance. In football, balance affects everything. His finishing has gone because he can no longer get his shot away quick enough.
I don't even think it is a big deal. The man will be 38 in three months. We fecked ourselves by being exposed to this situation due to some nonsensical belief that Ronaldo can defy time.

Ladron de redcafe

As @Pogue Mahone expertly explained a couple of months back. The older you get, you lose your balance. In football, balance affects everything. His finishing has gone because he can no longer get his shot away quick enough.
I don't even think it is a big deal. The man will be 38 in three months. We fecked ourselves by being exposed to this situation due to some nonsensical belief that Ronaldo can defy time.
I was under the impression that balance begins to deteriorate in people around the age of 50 (and it isn't that drastic). I'm happy to learn from @Pogue Mahone . Hope someone elaborates or corrects me if I'm wrong.

Adisa

I was under the impression that balance begins to deteriorate in people around the age of 50 (and it isn't that drastic). I'm happy to learn from @Pogue Mahone . Hope someone elaborates or corrects me if I'm wrong.
Pretty sure that's for a normal person. For elite sports, I am sure it would be much earlier than 50.

Ladron de redcafe

Pretty sure that's for a normal person. For elite sports, I am sure it would be much earlier than 50.
Is there a reason we would assume that's the case? I always thought it's an issue with the vestibular system and I don't necessarily see a reason why an athlete would face problems earlier than a normal person, but again, I'm happy to learn from both of you.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s the Rooney situation all over again and ETH is dealing with it like Mourinho dealt with Rooney, rather than how LVG dealt with him.

He’s got his fan club in the media made up of ex-teammates who will be critical any time he doesn’t play and cause drama. So ETH is giving him plenty of rope and letting everyone come to the same conclusion in their own time so it’s not controversial when he’s finally dropped for good.

To balance it, ETH has clearly spent his time working on the defence ensuring we are not easily beaten and the lack of goals won’t hurt us too much. When we do finally get that striker replacement we should be ready to kick on.

suheilsworld

People who still support and back him here should be given temporary ban! I mean anyone who has seen the last few games should know this guy is finished and actually creates problems in our build up play.

Adisa

Is there a reason we would assume that's the case? I always thought it's an issue with the vestibular system and I don't necessarily see a reason why an athlete would face problems earlier than a normal person, but again, I'm happy to learn from both of you.
I will allow Pogue to explain but I don't think it means an athlete faces the problem earlier than the average person. Just faces the problem of competing at the highest level. There is a reason most athletes retire between the ages of 35-40.

Mmm-Qatarian

To be honest, I don't even think he was *that* bad last night. I guess the problem is that last night's performance is about as good as we're going to get from him most weeks, and it's still just the baseline level you'd expect from the a Premier League striker.

Lyng

Is it because of injuries hes getting more game time or Eth is being forced to play him after his strop?
Martial is injured. And Rashford down the middle is useless (while Rashford on the left is sensational). If Martial was fit he would play.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
To be honest, I don't even think he was *that* bad last night. I guess the problem is that last night's performance is about as good as we're going to get from him most weeks, and it's still just the baseline level you'd expect from the a Premier League striker.
Yeah agreed. Last night was one of his better performances and he still missed a sitter and was generally average.

Chief123

We used to mock Lukaku for his touch.

The truth is Ronaldo’s hold up play is even worse. Him trying to lay it off first time or trying that stupid chest pass always ends up with the opponent.

Defenders are all clued up to knowing if the stay tight on him he’ll lose the ball.

Adisa

Yeah agreed. Last night was one of his better performances and he still missed a sitter and was generally average.
If last night was one of his better performances, then he is completely finished.

Strelok

Is it because of injuries hes getting more game time or Eth is being forced to play him after his strop?
Let's hope it's the injures otherwise we're properly fecked for the rest of the season. We'll see next match.

Status
Not open for further replies.