Cristiano Ronaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Gaz retired at around 36 yrs of age, Scholes is still playing at 37 while Giggs is 38. Under such circumstances, then no wonder if Ronaldo at 30 would give United a thought. He can add at least another half a decade to his career.

Stretch

I’m not all that keen on Ronaldo returning to OT to be honest, and yes I know that’s controversial. Make no mistake, he’d improve us considering his abilities but the one problem I have Ronnie is that we will have to build the team around him again. Since he’s left we focussed on having a balanced team which does not depend one single player to shine. Yes, players like Rooney are important to United but Rooney has been poor for most of this season and yet United are still only 2 points off the top in for a record point haul, 1st or 2nd. So I think SAF will consider all these things before we even think of making such a move. Plus Real would want a large amount considering what they paid us.

Varun

Staff
I’m not all that keen on Ronaldo returning to OT to be honest, and yes I know that’s controversial. Make no mistake, he’d improve us considering his abilities but the one problem I have Ronnie is that we will have to build the team around him again. Since he’s left we focussed on having a balanced team which does not depend one single player to shine. Yes, players like Rooney are important to United but Rooney has been poor for most of this season and yet United are still only 2 points off the top in for a record point haul, 1st or 2nd. So I think SAF will consider all these things before we even think of making such a move. Plus Real would want a large amount considering what they paid us.
No he hasnt.

And with our current set up, Ronaldo would just play with Rooney up top swapping positions or cutting in from the left.

There's no way in hell we'l sign him but lets not pretend we'd not want him if we could because we'd need to adjust the team.

RedRover

Gaz retired at around 36 yrs of age, Scholes is still playing at 37 while Giggs is 38. Under such circumstances, then no wonder if Ronaldo at 30 would give United a thought. He can add at least another half a decade to his career.
Would be interesting to see how long he could go on for.

Very reliant on his pace and power - could he adapt his game like Giggs? Not sure.

RedRover

It's a massive step down in the prestige sense, clearly that matters to Ronaldo.
Really?

If they're challenging for titles and CL now thats what'll matter to players - Ronaldo included.

Undoubtedly he would prefer to come back to United if he came back to the PL but that may not be possible.

Stretch

No he hasnt.

And with our current set up, Ronaldo would just play with Rooney up top swapping positions or cutting in from the left.

There's no way in hell we'l sign him but lets not pretend we'd not want him if we could because we'd need to adjust the team.
You're entitled to your opinion, so am I. I just posted mine. And there's others who feel the same way I do. And I'm sure SAF would first a lot to consider before he would make a move. I won't mind him back but it's not my wet dream as I made clear in my previous post.

And yes, Rooney's not been his best this season. Maybe poor is harsh but he's not been in top form for the majority of the season.

Varun

Staff
You're entitled to your opinion, so am I. I just posted mine. And there's others who feel the same way I do. And I'm sure SAF would first a lot to consider before he would make a move. I won't mind him back but it's not my wet dream as I made clear in my previous post.

And yes, Rooney's not been his best this season. Maybe poor is harsh but he's not been in top form for the majority of the season.
It doesnt really have to be your wet dream to realise that we'd be a much better team with him in it.

Anyways, i respect your opinion even though i dont agree with it. cheers.

Varun

Staff
I am sure we said the same things about Giggs 8 years ago,
Ronaldo has nowhere near Giggs's passing ability to last till he's 37. Giggs doesnt rely on pace and dribbling ability, ronaldo has tailored his game to it.

towcester_red

Ronaldo has nowhere near Giggs's passing ability to last till he's 37. Giggs doesnt rely on pace and dribbling ability, ronaldo has tailored his game to it.
Yes but Giggs did rely on it. There is no reason why Ronaldo couldnt change his game.

Look back at the Champions League final in '99, it wasnt Giggs we played in centre mid, it was Beckham.

Varun

Staff
Yes but Giggs did rely on it. There is no reason why Ronaldo couldnt change his game.

Look back at the Champions League final in '99, it wasnt Giggs we played in centre mid, it was Beckham.
Dont see ronaldo having the passing game to do it on a consistent basis though. for a player of his quality, his passing ability is very poor.

towcester_red

Dont see ronaldo having the passing game to do it on a consistent basis though. for a player of his quality, his passing ability is very poor.
Maybe not. But a 25 year old Giggsy flying and dribbling down the wing didnt show all the signs of being a brilliant centre mid.

Good players can adapt.

Varun

Staff
Maybe not. But a 25 year old Giggsy flying and dribbling down the wing didnt show all the signs of being a brilliant centre mid.

Good players can adapt.
Thats true. Will be surprised though if he makes it as a CM.

Interval

Level
That's rubbish. He is just an attacking player. And he is direct. Prefers running behind the defenders rather than in front of them looking for a delicate pass.
He is a quality passer. Maybe not Xavi, Iniesta and Messi levels but definitely up there.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I would have him back in a heartbeat, but I don't think we'd be able to afford him.

Varun

Staff
That's rubbish. He is just an attacking player. And he is direct. Prefers running behind the defenders rather than in front of them looking for a delicate pass.
He is a quality passer. Maybe not Xavi, Iniesta and Messi levels but definitely up there.
Not at all. He very frequently fecks up simple through balls. Yes, his game is tailored to being the one receiving passes rather than making them but i've seen him far too often failing to complete simple passes to the striker.

EDIT- while bolding the part of my post, you missed the "for a player of his quality bit" that was very crucial to what i meant. For a normal player, his passing is decent, for a player thats the 2nd best in the world, its very poor.

Interval

Level
Giggs was always a clever player though. He was never as reliant as Ronaldo is on using pace and brute strength to beat players.
Comes with age. It just depends on whether Ronaldo is able to make that transition into a slower yet more thoughtful player. Don't know too many who have been able to do it successfully.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe, but his passing ability has always frustrated at times too.

The signs were never there that he be quite this good as a centre mid. '99 is the perfect example of that.
His passing ability still frustrates. He gives the ball away more than any other United player. His vision, imagination and composure on the ball is different class, though. Which was always apparent, going right the way back to his early career with United. He's a very different player to Ronaldo. I think it's a stretch to imagine Ronaldo's game developing in the same way.

towcester_red

His passing ability still frustrates. He gives the ball away more than any other United player. His vision, imagination and composure on the ball is different class, though. Which was always apparent, going right the way back to his early career with United. He's a very different player to Ronaldo. I think it's a stretch to imagine Ronaldo's game developing in the same way.
My point was more around how players can adapt. Ronaldo may be able to adapt his game to play on late into his 30's like Giggs too.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not at all. He very frequently fecks up simple through balls. Yes, his game is tailored to being the one receiving passes rather than making them but i've seen him far too often failing to complete simple passes to the striker.
Yeah, he's clearly a mediocre passer at best so it's well beyond him to do what Giggs has done. Just need to watch his laughable attempt at a crossfield pass at the weekend or when he had the chance to slip Benzema through in the recent clasico, the idea's there most of the time but the execution's just not. He obviously won't be past it at 30 though, at 30 going on 31 Drogba had possibly the best season in his career scoring 37 goals. He'll still be a good mobile target man in his 30s I'd imagine, might need him to be a bit more selfless though.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I reckon we might have to get to the champions league knockouts a few years in a row to persuade him to come back

City failing to get in the champions league would help too

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Realistically he would probably end up as more of a poacher in the latter stages of his career.

I think if he comes back to England it would only be for us, and whilst I would definitely have him back, it would concern me about having places taken from the youngsters who we are trying to bring through.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ronaldo has only been a mediocre passer since he joined Madrid. They way he plays now was nothing like he was at United. They've effectively turned him into a goal machine and nothing more.
You don't lose the ability to pass the ball. He never had it. He can keep it moving with easy passes but that's it really, IMO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ronaldo has only been a mediocre passer since he joined Madrid. They way he plays now was nothing like he was at United. They've effectively turned him into a goal machine and nothing more.
He's versatile enough to do either now, which is a good sign.

kietotheworld

I reckon we might have to get to the champions league knockouts a few years in a row to persuade him to come back

City failing to get in the champions league would help too
Er...seriously? Our failure to qualify for the Champions League knockouts was an aberration, it's not something that's going to affect any player's desire to come here.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
This is going to be one of those threads isn't it.... I can just feel it, 100 pages minimum I think.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
His passing is "mediocre", but he's still one of the best crossers around. It's always been an underrated quality of his IMO, and one of the reasons why he and Rooney linked up so well when he was still here.

With the way he takes care of his body, he'll definitely keep well into his 30s. He may not become Scholes (what is the fascination/obsession with moving central on here anyways?) but his first touch, off the ball movement, intelligence, and his steadily increasing experience means he can play as an orthodox striker, either side of one in a 4-3-3, or a withdrawn role. Who knows, he may improve on his passing as well, plenty of time for that.

rcoobc

Er...seriously? Our failure to qualify for the Champions League knockouts was an aberration, it's not something that's going to affect any player's desire to come here.
Of course not, Ronaldo is intelligent enough to understand the difference between a club on the decline and a club in transition. But it cannot be allowed to continue, we cannot fail again. If in 12 months time the fans on this forum are panicking claiming the glazers have tied our hands to the point we're drowning, if it suddenly seems the premier league isn't going to stay at number 1...

Well it hasn't happened yet

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
You don't lose the ability to pass the ball. He never had it. He can keep it moving with easy passes but that's it really, IMO.
Ronaldo is a winger/forward. He's never going to play long sweeping passes across the field because that's never been his style. His crossing needs work, but you don't just lose it. The fact that he hasn't played as a proper winger 'IE putting crosses into the box on a regular basis' has probably compounded his loss of extended passing skills.

At United I have absolutely no doubt he'd develop his passing again because that's how we play. Madrid just play give the ball to Ronaldo and hope he scores or has players close enough to him that he can just lay it off. It's more efficient for Ronaldo personally, but it dilutes his skill set which use to be pretty bloody good.

kietotheworld

Of course not, Ronaldo is intelligent enough to understand the difference between a club on the decline and a club in transition. But it cannot be allowed to continue, we cannot fail again. If in 12 months time the fans on this forum are panicking claiming the glazers have tied our hands to the point we're drowning, if it suddenly seems the premier league isn't going to stay at number 1...

Well it hasn't happened yet
Well I'd agree that if we don't qualify again next season it's not very likely we'll sign him in 2013 for a multitude of reasons, including his age, our finances, and the belief we are on the decline, but the talk of him resigning relates to this summer. Signing him this summer will be contingent on our finances and his happiness at Real Madrid, our failure to qualify for the knockouts won't really come into it. If we had to wait until we'd done it a few years in a row then he'd be at least 30 by the time we could sign him.

rcoobc

Well I'd agree that if we don't qualify again next season it's not very likely we'll sign him in 2013 for a multitude of reasons, including his age, our finances, and the belief we are on the decline, but the talk of him resigning relates to this summer. Signing him this summer will be contingent on our finances and his happiness at Real Madrid, our failure to qualify for the knockouts won't really come into it. If we had to wait until we'd done it a few years in a row then he'd be at least 30 by the time we could sign him.
Yeah I can't really see him quitting in the summer. The fallout of that would be outrageous.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
This is going to be one of those threads isn't it.... I can just feel it, 100 pages minimum I think.
I can't believe the posts so far are so serious. You're right, it's going to be one of those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.