Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

Depends on how and what you want to play.

It is very obvious that the likes of blind has to be in the team somehow if we want to pass the ball out of deep successfully most of the time.

Or are ok with being able to dominate in the air more and feel 'safer' with pace and power CBs?

I think it depends on jose. For me, I love good passers.

Last edited:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Get over it man
Blind sucks as a CB.
He's got weaknesses as a CB but I think he's very good. I thought he was poor in the city game but he's been playing well now for a while. As long as he's paired with a physically dominant CB he's very useful, playing the ball out from the back is important and he does that far better than your other CB options.

ZDwyr

Was missed greatly today. Smalling did himself no favors today with that performance. Surely Blind will walk back into the team.
Smalling did himself no favours?! feck me. The amount of latitude some players get is amazing. Bailly was absolutely awful. If anyone deserves dropping for Blind after that it is Bailly.

Ixion

He was horrendous against City. That gave Mourinho enough reason to replace him with Smalling
Because all teams are going to attack like City. I mean if he can't stop De Bruyne then he's a liability against anyone.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I just find it funny that people say he's a liability, too many mistakes, lacks physicality, not a natural CB etc - all despite him looking in 9/10 games like a Rolls Royce and posting fantastic stats.

As if Watford didn't just walk all over both Smalling and Bailly, won most headers, held the ball up with ease, beat them for pace and skill, passed around them and pulled them all over the shop... That's Watford, Deeney, Ighalo and friends... Not De Bruyne, Silva, Nolito etc.

It's tough to say whether he should be at CB or CM at the minute but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I just find it funny that people say he's a liability, too many mistakes, lacks physicality, not a natural CB etc - all despite him looking in 9/10 games like a Rolls Royce and posting fantastic stats.

As if Watford didn't just walk all over both Smalling and Bailly, won most headers, held the ball up with ease, beat them for pace and skill, passed around them and pulled them all over the shop... That's Watford, Deeney, Ighalo and friends... Not De Bruyne, Silva, Nolito etc.

It's tough to say whether he should be at CB or CM at the minute but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for me.
Exactly, I think he's one of our best players, but I'd move him to the base of a 3 man midfield, we need him there to free up pogba to make his runs forward.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
100% loss rate with our 'supposedly' best defensive partnership.

:lol::lol::lol: Sorry. Too good an oppurtunity.
Bailly and Smalling were both poor yesterday but they were losing all the aerial duels and don't see Blind winning those either , I hope that when Smalling gets a couple more games under his belt he will get sharper and develop a partnership with Bailly. Nothing against Blind but him being a CB makes me nervous

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'd play him in midfield with Herrera and Pogba. We need his distribution abilities. Herrera can make up for his lack of mobility.

Morpheus 7

Blind needs to be in the United 11.If that's at center back or as a dm I don't mind. He adds such composure and calmness to our play and his passing is excellent. We missed him so much yesterday. Maybe he isn't as imposing at the stature of Smalling but he makes up for it in other qualities. His intelligence and positional awareness is top quality. He reads the game better than anyone else in our current side. I underestimated Blind as a CB last year but he has a better partnership with Bailly. Sooner we get him back in the team, the sooner the focus will be brought back from a defensive side.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Given our last 2 performances (conceding 4 goals in 2 games), I can't believe why any sane person would want Bailly/Smalling partnership.
After the Watford horror show, Blind would be straight back into the starting XI.

We need to start winning guys and its pretty clear that Smalling/Bailly is not going to work anytime soon. Maybe after they have played 10 games together, they could be great, but right now, we need to stop the losses and habit of leaking goals.

Statistically, Blind/Bailly is our best combo, so that is who should play.

This is not even a debate.

prath92

Bailly and Smalling were both poor yesterday but they were losing all the aerial duels and don't see Blind winning those either , I hope that when Smalling gets a couple more games under his belt he will get sharper and develop a partnership with Bailly. Nothing against Blind but him being a CB makes me nervous
One of the only things Smalling has over blind is his aerial ability and speed. That is the only thing that makes people want Smalling over blind. Surely if that's the same then surely there is barely any advantage playing Smalling over blind?

JeffBoomTetris

Because all teams are going to attack like City. I mean if he can't stop De Bruyne then he's a liability against anyone.
Not all teams will attack quite like City do. But Mourinho displaced him anyway.

Which was very silly and short-sighted. Blind was poor vs City, yes. But, it was the wrong decision. We missed Blind setting the buildup from defense in the last 2 games. Smalling for all his defensive quality doesn't provide the safe extra passing option for the midfielders. As such, Watford totally toyed with us in stretches. They were in control and didn't let us penetrate them.

Lentwood

Yeah it's ridiculous. We have fans who are STILL arguing a case for Rooney and fans who still fail to acknowledge any criticism of Herrera, Mata or Smalling but Blind has one iffy game (and lets face it so did the other 10) against the best side in the league and suddenly he is dropped and written off on here

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'd play him in midfield with Herrera and Pogba. We need his distribution abilities. Herrera can make up for his lack of mobility.
Why not? With him we have someone to start our game from deep and can be our defensive midfielder, and with Herrera and Pogba we have skill, mobility and the freedom to attack. I like it

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yeah it's ridiculous. We have fans who are STILL arguing a case for Rooney and fans who still fail to acknowledge any criticism of Herrera, Mata or Smalling but Blind has one iffy game (and lets face it so did the other 10) against the best side in the league and suddenly he is dropped and written off on here
I'm one of those who are not big fans of him in centre back. I'd rather we use him in midfield, see if he can replace Carrick and try to sign another centre back.

Why not? With him we have someone to start our game from deep and can be our defensive midfielder, and with Herrera and Pogba we have skill, mobility and the freedom to attack. I like it
Yeah, in theory, they have different skill sets so would complement each other. But that's just my opinion.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
This is so good.

:drool::drool::drool:

It had me at Martial in the opening seconds followed by music very similar to the opening sequence in GTA3. Never mind the 12 minutes of Daley's passing! :devil:

(Ajax's finishing is fecking terrible :lol:)

Bwuk

Not his fault, had to put a foot in and try something. TFM at fault.

podurban2

Will get slaughtered on here for that mistake.

Nonetheless, I don't want to see him at CB, I want to see him play CDM and I think he has been our best passer tonight (Carrick too).

The United

Another brainfart.
LOl how would that be a brainfart or a mistake..?!

He had to put a foot in as someone said earlier and caught someone that was coming from behind. The ball should have never come back into the box like that.

klayton88

Will get slaughtered on here for that mistake.

Nonetheless, I don't want to see him at CB, I want to see him play CDM and I think he has been our best passer tonight (Carrick too).
Agree.

He'll get stick for that tackle but should have been dealt with well before it fell to him. He's been good tonight.

Rossa

He had to put a foot in as someone said earlier and caught someone that was coming from behind. The ball should have never come back into the box like that.
Nah, more unlucky there, although too sloppy. He's a little sloppy overall, so not that surprised that he made that challenge tbf.

izec

So causing a penalty isnt a mistake :houllier: He wasnt through on goal ffs, the Northampton player just touched the ball diagonally away from goal. Needless foul as i have seen this season.

James_42

Blind with another mistake and as usual the excuses are being rolled out for him, no surprises there.

How come other players don't get the same treatment?

The United

Blind with another mistake and as usual the excuses are being rolled out for him, no surprises there.

How come other players don't get the same treatment?
You mean giving benefit of doubs when a player does not have a very good day which happens to every players once in awhile?

yea, I wonder.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Other than the clumsy scene for the penalty, he did well.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's overrated on here. Proved to me what I've been saying all along - that he's decent backup but not cut out to be first choice (yeah I know as backup he'd be played in this game anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.