Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In LVG's system where he had 2 DMF in front of him, even Smalling looked world class tbh.

But he was getting exposed last season too and a lot, but we had DDG in octopus mode, hence why DDG was POTY.
Such an overstatement, he wasn't getting exposed a lot at all.

He snuffed out potential chances really well and we were penetrated by the holding players quite a few times. Blind hasn't even done that badly when tested by Mourinho this year. He positions himself very well and is dependable more often than not.

Fracture90

Such an overstatement, he wasn't getting exposed a lot at all.

He snuffed out potential chances really well and we were penetrated by the holding players quite a few times. Blind hasn't even done that badly when tested by Mourinho this year. He positions himself very well and is dependable more often than not.
Uhm, City game at home? City in the League Cup where he was disaster waiting to happen? There were more in which he was a liability but we managed not to concede.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I really like Blind. The kind of player you need in successful squads.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Uhm, City game at home? City in the League Cup where he was disaster waiting to happen? There were more in which he was a liability but we managed not to concede.

Oh yeah, that single mistake he made at City now makes him a undependable for cover? I said it then and I'll say it now, even the best of defenders have epic brain farts in the heart of defence. If you can only choose two games where he made 1-2 individual errors across the last 2 seasons then that is my point proven. He started a few games at CB at the beginning of the season and returned to the position 2 games ago. He hasn't been as bad as you claim at all.

Fracture90

Oh yeah, that single mistake he made at City now makes him a undependable for cover? I said it then and I'll say it now, even the best of defenders have epic brain farts in the heart of defence. If you can only choose two games where he made 1-2 individual errors across the last 2 seasons then that is my point proven. He started a few games at CB at the beginning of the season and returned to the position 2 games ago. He hasn't been as bad as you claim at all.
Why are you assuming he was so bad? I said he can do the job, no?

If you want you can add that Fenerbahce game away, point is he's not a CB.

There's a reason he's at the last spot in the pecking order for CB position.

Last season he wasn't the worst player of all time, but he surely wasn't all great as some are trying to make it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why are you assuming he was so bad? I said he can do the job, no?

If you want you can add that Fenerbahce game away, point is he's not a CB.

There's a reason he's at the last spot in the pecking order for CB position.

Last season he wasn't the worst player of all time, but he surely wasn't all great as some are trying to make it.
You said he can't be trusted on beyond a couple of games.

You're seriously clutching at straws if you're going to use the Fenerbache game to criticise Blind. He wasn't any worse than Rojo in that fixture IIRC.

And yeah, one reason he's last on the pecking order for CBs is that he's seen as more of a fullback. That doesn't mean he can't do a good job as a central defender though. He's done it countless times.

Fracture90

You said he can't be trusted on beyond a couple of games.

You're seriously clutching at straws if you're going to use the Fenerbache game to criticise Blind. He wasn't any worse than Rojo in that fixture IIRC.

And yeah, one reason he's last on the pecking order for CBs is that he's seen as more of a fullback. That doesn't mean he can't do a good job as a central defender though. He's done it countless times.
He get's exposed the more he plays as a CB. There's 3 valid games I mentioned in which he was a huge liability, you can even add yesterday's game vs. Swansea, even the city draw he was getting turned around by Aguero so many times.

As I said he can do a good job but he's a liability and you have those examples I mentioned above.

Also there's a reason he isn't a regular starter at the LB position as well. Darmian and Young are getting ahead of him.

He's a utility player, good at few things, but not great in anything.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He get's exposed the more he plays as a CB. There's 3 valid games I mentioned in which he was a huge liability, you can even add yesterday's game vs. Swansea, even the city draw he was getting turned around by Aguero so many times.

As I said he can do a good job but he's a liability and you have those examples I mentioned above.

Also there's a reason he isn't a regular starter at the LB position as well. Darmian and Young are getting ahead of him.

He's a utility player, good at few things, but not great in anything.
Firstly, huge liability is another mass exaggeration. He was fine yesterday and he was brilliant against City in the most recent clash too. God knows what you're on about here.

You can't keep hiding behind Mourinho selection to claim he's not good enough. The world can see how rubbish Darmien was (barring one or two games) for us this season.

FWIW Blind has featured more than Darmien, Shaw or Young this season. 2 out of the 3 in the comparison can play in dual roles just like Blind does, yet Blind has 19 starts.

Back to his performances at CB, he's dependable for cover and that too beyond just a couple of games.

Fracture90

Firstly, huge liability is another mass exaggeration. He was fine yesterday and he was brilliant against City in the most recent clash too FFS. God knows what you're on about here.

You can't keep hiding behind Mourinho selection to claim he's not good enough. The world can see how rubbish Darmien was (barring one or two games) for us this season.

FWIW Blind has featured more than Darmien, Shaw or Young this season. 2 out of the 3 in the comparison can play in dual roles just like Blind does, yet Blind has 19 starts.

Back to his performances at CB, he's dependable for cover and that too beyond just a couple of games.
He was all over the place yesterday in the first half, only marginally better in the 2nd. How can you even say he was brilliant against City in our most recent draw? He was getting skinned alive and the only reason City didn't go up is due to Aguero's poor finishing, he kept sending ball to the stands.

Yeah he's featured more but he's not a nail on starter which is a very viable argument considering Young is a ex winger turned RB and Darmian is RB/WB. We even had games in which Rojo played LB with Blind being on the bench.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was all over the place yesterday in the first half, only marginally better in the 2nd. How can you even say he was brilliant against City in our most recent draw? He was getting skinned alive and the only reason City didn't go up is due to Aguero's poor finishing, he kept sending ball to the stands.

Yeah he's featured more but he's not a nail on starter which is a very viable argument considering Young is a ex winger turned RB and Darmian is RB/WB. We even had games in which Rojo played LB with Blind being on the bench.
Augero was moving from deep and into the channels - why the feck are you blaming Blind for his chances? The only real chance Augero had was from the peach of a ball from KDB at the near post. Aside from that he had zero chances in good positions and was limited to shooting from the edge of the box or from distance further out. Blind was quick to snuff out and intercept most the balls that came his way - he was one of our better players.

Also I find it odd you used Fenerbache to highlight one of Blind's poor performances - after rewatching the highlights he had nothing to do with either goal and made a last ditch tackle to prevent it from it being 3-0.

I never said he's a nailed on starter though. I'm going back to the root of my point, which is that he is dependable at CB for more than just a couple of games. Its silly to say otherwise - he was great last season and did fine this season.

Fracture90

Augero was moving from deep and into the channels - why the feck are you blaming Blind for his chances? The only real chance Augero had was from the peach of a ball from KDB at the near post. Aside from that he had zero chances in good positions and was limited to shooting from the edge of the box or from distance further out. Blind was quick to snuff out and intercept most the balls that came his way - he was one of our better players.

Also I find it odd you used Fenerbache to highlight one of Blind's poor performances - after rewatching the highlights he had nothing to do with either goal and made a last ditch tackle to prevent it from it being 3-0.

I never said he's a nailed on starter though. I'm going back to the root of my point, which is that he is dependable at CB for more than just a couple of games. Its silly to say otherwise - he was great last season and did fine this season.
I really don't understand why some people can't accept some criticism regarding certain players. We really don't have to keep ignoring poor performances in order not to upset some posters.

Watch the entire game not just highlights and you will see what I'm talking about.

Aguero was a CF in the first half, only in the last 10 minutes he got the freedom to roam around when Jesus was brought in.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I really don't understand why some people can't accept some criticism regarding certain players. We really don't have to keep ignoring poor performances in order not to upset some posters.

Watch the entire game not just highlights and you will see what I'm talking about.

Aguero was a CF in the first half, only in the last 10 minutes he got the freedom to roam around when Jesus was brought in.
He started playing from a deeper role or moving in and out the channels and running at players from the first minute. Commentators were eluding to it throughout the half.

Anyway its not that I can't accept the criticism - I can appreciate and respect your opinion of how Blind plays but I just disagree with it. I've seen the Fenerbache game and I rewatched the highlights - I don't see it as a game to highlight Blind's lack of competence at CB. He was very good against Man City, playing a key role in making them limited to one good chance the whole game.

Lets just agree to disagree, its in both our interests to see him perform in the final games.

Fracture90

He started playing from a deeper role or moving in and out the channels and running at players from the first minute. Commentators were eluding to it throughout the half.

Anyway its not that I can't accept the criticism - I can appreciate and respect your opinion of how Blind plays but I just disagree with it. I've seen the Fenerbache game and I rewatched the highlights - I don't see it as a game to highlight Blind's lack of competence at CB. He was very good against Man City, playing a key role in making them limited to one good chance the whole game.

Lets just agree to disagree, its in both our interests to see him perform in the final games.
Yep, good idea.

GM K

Blind can play in Carrick's role. He has enough attributes to do that.

Even if another player is bought to replace Carrick, Blind can deputize for such a player if the player is that much better than him.

If the Eric Dier rumours are true, I am wondering why Jose would prefer Eric to Blind.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Blind can play in Carrick's role. He has enough attributes to do that.

Even if another player is bought to replace Carrick, Blind can deputize for such a player if the player is that much better than him.

If the Eric Dier rumours are true, I am wondering why Jose would prefer Eric to Blind.
I would be interested in seeing Blind tried in the central midfield again. But it can't be forgotten that when he played there in his first season with us he was very average (at best). Maybe he has improved enough since then to actually do a decent job there, but it's also very likely that he hasn't.

It's similar to thinking a good attacking fullback would be an even bigger attacking threat as a winger. It simply doesn't work like that. A fullback generally has more time and space to move into to receive the ball, but when played as a winger he's suddenly got less time and is expected to create things for himself a lot more than they did as a fullback. Likewise, it's easier to look good as a central defender (I'm talking purely passing/playmaking ability here, not anything else) as you'll get a lot more time and space when you have the ball, and everything is in front of you. Move them into midfield and they have a lot less space and time, and they are being closed down from all angles.

Maybe Blind could do it. If we had some easy relatively unimportant games coming up I wouldn't mind seeing him given the chance. But honestly I doubt it. I just don't think he has the game to be able to perform at Carrick's current level, let alone anything like what he was at his peak.

Pearson

A good professional with nice attitude. Versatility is an asset as well for United which has been injury-stricken for many years in a row.

It is a pity his contribution to this club has always been underrated here. I reckon people are just deeply used to a certain type of old-fashioned center backs like Rio and Vidic who are strong, fearless and menacing for opponents. All due respect, I will always respect them a lot.

However, even Rio and Vidic are great, it doesn't mean they have no weakness. Plus, there is not standardized criterion of what property center backs should possess to be categorized as top-notch.

IMP, Blind, unfortunately with quite a lot conspicuous vulnerabilities, represent a nascent ideal type of center backs who can function as a metronome and who can launch attack directly in and from defending. This change in what defenders should do is part of the transformation happening in the football world at the moment. The ever-evolving Total football, particularly Pep Guardiloa's Barcelona epitomizes this philosophy which aim to make the switch between defending and attacking in a blinking of an eye.

It is no wonder many people here underestimate him. He is so different from our legendary defenders like Rio, Vida, so on and so forth.

Many are not happy with LVG's bold belief in Blind as a center back throughout the whole season last year. Whenever he made mistakes, they were always highlighted. But Blind is a player of a master in terms of reading the game. The fact is, in spite of bombarding criticism of players, especially Blind, United had the best defending record in PL last season. And Blind played the most games.

My understanding is center back is a position of extreme importance and there was no any other player in our squad who could fulfill the role prescribed by LVG. I also think there are not many center backs in the world could fulfill the role Pep Guardiola designate. After all, Pep's idea of football is revolutionary, to a larger degree. It is a novelty. I am afraid his idea has not been implemented in English youth training system, there are not many defenders who are trained under his model. Pep desperately needs a center back who is good on the ball, so he went for Stones who proved to be not as good as Blind at all.

Having said so, I am not trying to prove Blind is fashionably flawless model. No, he has many limits, especially his relatively unimpressive pace and strength which made him a target for strikers. Nevertheless, we also witnessed some games where Blind's ability of reading the game simply outclass his opponents with monstrous physicality. Lukaku was a good example.

I have lots of sympathy for Blind. Such an intelligent player. With his physical ability, you almost expect him not to survive in PL where strength and pace is highly regarded as indispensable. But he did survive and I think he is doing very good. Of all the players in PL history, he is probably the most disadvantaged center back in terms of physical strength and pace. But the statistics he and his teammates produced last season were exceptional.

Jose demands quite different performance from defenders. the fact Blind stay in his squad surprises me a lot. I guess it is because his superb football intelligence. But I am afraid he could be easily highlighted among his teammates. I can't imagine he will make a lot under Jose. All I want is when he makes mistakes, I hope people here should show some lenience. After all, he is a Manchester United player and he is a good lad.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
The fact Blind stay in his squad surprises me a lot. I guess it is because his superb football intelligence. But I am afraid he could be easily highlighted among his teammates. I can't imagine he will make a lot under Jose. All I want is when he makes mistakes, I hope people here should show some lenience. After all, he is a Manchester United player and he is a good lad.
I think his versatility, his positive attitude, his difference in style makes him a good asset as a squad player. Can learn positions quickly, has a good injury record.
His football intelligence is just part of the package. Imho.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Are you defending or slating him?
Playing onside slating, charging forward isnt necessarily a bad thing, but more that English football isnt really modern. Proactive defending is key for trying to break teems that sit deep, you recover the ball, opponent is out of position, you can counter and there's much more space than usual. Just watch Ajax, PSG, Arsenal of a few years ago, Real, Bayern etc, we dont do it. However when you charge forward individually and not collectively, the others not following you, you leave huge gaps which can be exploited easily.

Rossa

Playing onside slating, charging forward isnt necessarily a bad thing, but more that English football isnt really modern. Proactive defending is key for trying to break teems that sit deep, you recover the ball, opponent is out of position, you can counter and there's much more space than usual. Just watch Ajax, PSG, Arsenal of a few years ago, Real, Bayern etc, we dont do it. However when you charge forward individually and not collectively, the others not following you, you leave huge gaps which can be exploited easily.
Well, if he's not in sync with the team his individual brilliance, which you seem to call it, is downright stupid. He's a good player at times, but he can be costly when he tries stuff the others are not in on.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Well, if he's not in sync with the team his individual brilliance, which you seem to call it, is downright stupid. He's a good player at times, but he can be costly when he tries stuff the others are not in on.
It's not his individual brilliance, it's a philosophy of playing football. He is Ajax and Dutch through and through, it has been indoctrinated in him. But agreed, if you are not in sync it's stupid and can be costly. But when it works it can speed up our play. The weird thing is that he has been doing it since last season but it hasnt been coached out of him.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
2nd best player after Pogba for me so far.

red4ever 79

Solid again. Dont get the Daley hate on here. Dependable, can fill a variety of positions and doesnt mind being a squad player. Wont find him necking 5 pints of stella after the match

Rossa

It's not his individual brilliance, it's a philosophy of playing football. He is Ajax and Dutch through and through, it has been indoctrinated in him. But agreed, if you are not in sync it's stupid and can be costly. But when it works it can speed up our play. The weird thing is that he has been doing it since last season but it hasnt been coached out of him.
Perhaps. I hate the word philosophy associated with football.

He's been very good today though.

RedNed77

Solid again. Dont get the Daley hate on here. Dependable, can fill a variety of positions and doesnt mind being a squad player. Wont find him necking 5 pints of stella after the match
Completely agree, he's been solid tonight. And he offers something different to all our other centre halves who are all variations on a theme. Pep would probably love him if he played at city.

Skills

Snitch
Hes been doing it since his first season tbh, which is why I don't fancy him as a defensive midfielder too.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
Blind doesn't sound like an uncoachable person. He seems to do what is asked of him. If he is still doing it, than it might be that either Mourinho doesn't mind it or might even prefer that he does it. Might be that Daley is a better proactive defender than a reactive defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.