Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That was a good chance by Ayew and DDG did a good save. He was weak in his defending at the free kick against Llorente.
Of both of those should've resulted in a goal then on that metric we should be scoring 10+ a game.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Of both of those should've resulted in a goal then on that metric we should be scoring 10+ a game.
Yep but cause we have players who are not top class we end up with very little.

shield

I like to see him in our team, but I think he needs support whenever playing in CB. He made number of good stops and ball distribution was good, but he also made a few errors which, on another day, could have cost us. If Bailey and Pogba don't play in the next match, then I really fear for him.

ivaldo

Yep but cause we have players who are not top class we end up with very little.
You're over exaggerating the serious of these faults. In the case of the freekick, he was fouled and Llorente was offside, that's bad refereeing, not bad defending.

Lawman

You're over exaggerating the serious of these faults. In the case of the freekick, he was fouled and Llorente was offside, that's bad refereeing, not bad defending.
Ok that is your opinion not mine. But he is atleast one major mistake a game and as a central defender that's not enough at United. Great squad player all the same.

ivaldo

Ok that is your opinion not mine. But he is atleast one major mistake a game and as a central defender that's not enough at United. Great squad player all the same.
He's not, you just have a habit of blowing anything he does out of proportion to support that claim. Every defender makes mistakes to some degree almost every game.

prath92

How? Blind was at least ten yards behind any other of our defenders - Ayew dragged him deep, but he shouldn't have done so as easily.

Other than that incident, he was mostly solid.
Every defender without pace does that. As they cannot recover in a high line. Even luiz does that quite often.

Fracture90

All over the place in the first half, picked himself up in the 2nd. As I said before, can do the job on CB for a game or 2 but the longer he stays there the more exposed he gets.

Lawman

He's not, you just have a habit of blowing anything he does out of proportion to support that claim. Every defender makes mistakes to some degree almost every game.
Not to the extent Blind does it. Mistakes happen but not of the magnitude of frequency Blind does it. He doesn't smell danger like an out and out defender does.

TheCorkman

I can't imagine the reaction if Blind did Bailly's feck up earlier. Heading the ball straight up in the air, leading to a shot on De Gea, then booting the rebound straight into Sigurdsson which hit the side netting. Blind had a good game, made less mistakes than Bailly, who was also more than decent. I don't get this phenomenon of picking on players just to prove a point. He mightn't be everyone's cup of tea, and he has his faults, but why completely exaggerate non-events to create a narrative? You are fake news.

Rossa

Every defender without pace does that. As they cannot recover in a high line. Even luiz does that quite often.
That's the main reason why I don't want him in our defense. Our team is too stretched because we cannot afford to sit high up the pitch.

Not sticking to the line is huge mistake no matter!

ivaldo

Not to the extent Blind does it. Mistakes happen but not of the magnitude of frequency Blind does it. He doesn't smell danger like an out and out defender does.
Which is odd. Usually when you go Blind your other senses heighten :cool:.

prath92

That's the main reason why I don't want him in our defense. Our team is too stretched because we cannot afford to sit high up the pitch.

Not sticking to the line is huge mistake no matter!
If he had been alongside the other defenders that means he would have a more likelihood of being caught out as he wasn't gonna win a race against ayew. Many CBs do that. It's not s mistake at all. Luiz does it and he is probably one of the best in the league this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
All over the place in the first half, picked himself up in the 2nd. As I said before, can do the job on CB for a game or 2 but the longer he stays there the more exposed he gets.
He didn't much get exposed in the whole of last season.

He has weaknesses to his game at CB but I think he's great cover for a string of games.

Web of Bissaka

Thankfully, we have Blind and he have performed superb enough considering his limitations playing at CB.

Right mentality too, and always bother to be available.

:smirk:Love his covering runs for Bailly when he get injured and struggled to run.

Ashley R1+O

He's done really well coming in to be honest, plus with Rojo and then Bailly going down he's fighting through some positional adversity. Kudos to him.

Fracture90

He didn't much get exposed in the whole of last season.

He has weaknesses to his game at CB but I think he's great cover for a string of games.
In LVG's system where he had 2 DMF in front of him, even Smalling looked world class tbh.

But he was getting exposed last season too and a lot, but we had DDG in octopus mode, hence why DDG was POTY.

The United

In LVG's system where he had 2 DMF in front of him, even Smalling looked world class tbh.

But he was getting exposed last season too and a lot, but we had DDG in octopus mode, hence why DDG was POTY.
2 DMF does not matter much. You still have to do most of defensive work as a CB.

And saying oh we have 2 DMF therefore our CBs looked good even though they got exposed and made Dave save a lot.

Made no sense whatsoever.

Fracture90

2 DMF does not matter much. You still have to do most of defensive work as a CB.

And saying oh we have 2 DMF therefore our CBs looked good even though they got exposed and made Dave save a lot.

Made no sense whatsoever.
Even with 2 DMF in LVG's possession and defensive setup both Blind and Smalling got exposed, because in order to get to the GK you usually need to get past CB's, and as I said if we had any other GK that wasn't as good as DDG we would have conceded a lot more.

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't want it to make sense, you have your mind set long before you read the reply.

The United

Even with 2 DMF in LVG's possession and defensive setup both Blind and Smalling got exposed, because in order to get to the GK you usually need to get past CB's, and as I said if we had any other GK that wasn't as good as DDG we would have conceded a lot more.

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't want it to make sense, you have your mind set long before you read the reply.
You say we had 2 DMF in there. I can throw another argument with our FBs last season changed every 2 weeks. And most of them were kids who performed good btw.

And did you think our DMFs do a good job last season?

So it is not like both CBs were in a near perfect system or situation to achieve what they did.

DDG did have a lot of good saves last season. He still has to face a lot of shots against us this season as well but most of them went in because he is not as good as he was in last season.

The fact is that we had 2nd best defensive record last season. Credit where it is due. What I don't understand with United fans is that when they hate someone, they already make up their mind and even trying to look a good point/stuff bad.

I am a tad critical of Jose but that does not make me go after some good works he has done. And I like him. At least the old him.

Maybe you are the one who decided that last season was all shit, smalling is shit, blind is shit so that does not matter even if they had the 2nd best defensive record in the league.

Ever thought of that?

Litch

Great Utd squad player that whilst his ceiling isn't high, always plays to his full potential. I actually think he'll look better with more quality around him as technically he's very good, and a great passer of the ball. I think his best position I'd say is LB.....

Fracture90

You say we have 2 DMF in there. I can throw another argument with our FBs last season changed every 2 weeks. And most of them were kids who performed good btw.

So it is not like both CBs were in near a perfect system or situation to achieve what they did.

DDG did have a lot of good saves last season. He still has to face a lot of shots against us this season as well but most of them went in because he is not as good as he was in last season.

The fact is that we had 2nd best defensive record last season. Credit where it is due. What I don't understand with United fans is that when they hate someone, they already make up their mind and even trying to look a good point/stuff bad.

I am a tad critical of Jose but that does not make me go after some good works he has done. And I like him. At least the old him.

Maybe you are the one who decided that last season was all shit, smalling is shit, blind is shit so that does not matter even if they had the 2nd best defensive record in the league.

Ever thought of that?
You see your problem is that you're assuming too much, and as I said that is because you have your mind set long before you even read the reply.

You assumed Im saying both him and Smalling were shiit, which is nowhere close to the truth.

As I have stated in my first comment, he can do a decent job there for a few games but the longer he stays there the more exposed he's getting, as he did last season.

He played in a super defensive setup last season and he was still getting exposed big time, which was largely masked by brilliant saves from Dave's part.

As I said there's a reason Dave was our POTY, which usually means our CB's primary and the rest of the team weren't that great at all.

And FYI I'm not a Blind nor Smalling hater, but Im not selling them like they're something special like some are doing.

The United

You see your problem is that you're assuming too much, and as I said that is because you have your mind set long before you even read the reply.

You assumed Im saying both him and Smalling were shiit, which is nowhere close to the truth.

As I have stated in my first comment, he can do a decent job there for a few games but the longer he stays there the more exposed he's getting, as he did last season.

He played in a super defensive setup last season and he was still getting exposed big time, which was largely masked by brilliant saves from Dave's part.

As I said there's a reason Dave was our POTY, which usually means our CB's primary and the rest of the team weren't that great at all.

And FYI I'm not a Blind nor Smalling hater, but Im not selling them like they're something special like some are doing.
I am telling you all the facts though. So I am not assuming here.

Blind got better as the season went on general. Almost everyone would agree to that.

So you are saying the longer it went, the more he got exposed was not true. At all.

Fracture90

Blind got better as the season went on general. Almost everyone would agree to that.

So you are saying the longer it went, the more he got exposed was not true. At all.
Okay let's talk facts. I think that great majority of the people here are thinking Smalling looked great last season, yes?

And please tell me again who was our last season's POTY?

AndyJ1985

He's just another "decent squad player"

Problem is most of our team falls in to that category.

The United

Okay let's talk facts. I think that great majority of the people here are thinking Smalling looked great last season, yes?

And please tell me again who was our last season's POTY?
Ok wait, what does it has anything to do with what I said?

Last edited:

Fracture90

Ok wait, what does it has anything to do with what I said?
You brought in facts into the discussion about Blind's ability as a CB and now you're asking why am I mentioning facts. This is very confusing :houllier:

To cut the story short, as I said before Blind can do the job on CB for a few games.

Smalling is universally accepted as our top defender last season and DDG was our POTY, and that makes Blind the weak link.

You don't have to agree ofc, but you the one who started pulling facts out.

We can always agree to disagree. I value Blind as a squad player, he can step in few positions and do the decent job there.

The United

You brought in facts into the discussion about Blind's ability as a CB and now you're asking why am I mentioning facts. This is very confusing :houllier:

To cut the story short, as I said before Blind can do the job on CB for a few games.

Smalling is universally accepted as our top defender last season and DDG was our POTY, and that makes Blind the weak link.

You don't have to agree ofc, but you the one who started pulling facts out.

We can always agree to disagree. I value Blind as a squad player, he can step in few positions and do the decent job there.
So wait you are saying that 2 DMFs last season benefited and covered only blind?

Was it not how you were saying earlier in your posts?

What I was saying is that both blind and smalling and of course DDG were part of stable defensive system we had last season and they all shared the same credit. Blind was not the weak link because that's what you thought so.

I really don't want to pull a few mistakes that smallings did. It is not like smallings was by far and away better than blind last season.

That would the point I would make if you are dragging about that kind of argument now.

Fracture90

So wait you are saying that 2 DMFs last season benefited and covered only blind?

Was it not how you were saying earlier in your posts?

What I was saying is that both blind and smalling and of course DDG were part of stable defensive system we had last season and they all shared the same credit. Blind was not the weak link because that's what you thought so.

I really don't want to pull a few mistakes that smallings did. It is not like smallings was by far and away better than blind last season.

That would the point I would make if you are dragging about that kind of argument now.
Yeah so funny how you start switching subject when facts aren't going in your favor.

I'll say it again, Blind is a decent squad player and nothing else, in last season's ultra defensive system he was the weakest link which normal considering he's not a CB.

And if we had 2 DMF but only Smalling and DDG are picking up all the praise, what exactly is that telling you?

togg

He's the kind of squad player we need. Mostly very accomplished when called upon, good thinking man's footballer, a good passer of the ball and can play in a variety of positions. You can't get better than that!

The United

Yeah so funny how you start switching subject when facts aren't going in your favor.

I'll say it again, Blind is a decent squad player and nothing else, in last season's ultra defensive system he was the weakest link which normal considering he's not a CB.

And if we had 2 DMF but only Smalling and DDG are picking up all the praise, what exactly is that telling you?
I am not sure how I am switching subject? Because I am replying to your posts.

And it is in your mind that only smalling and DDG are picking up all the praise.

Looking at this thread, there are loads of people who rate him as a CB based on his form last season.

He couldn't have been that bad, could he?

Fracture90

I am not sure how I am switching subject? Because I am replying to your posts.

And it is in your mind that only smalling and DDG are picking up all the praise.

Looking at this thread, there are loads of people who rate him as a CB based on his form last season.

He couldn't have been that bad, could he?
Really no point in discussing any further tbh.

I say he can do the job on CB for a few games, you're convinced he's a great CB.

It's fair to say we can agree to disagree

The United

Really no point in discussing any further tbh.

I say he can do the job on CB for a few games, you're convinced he's a great CB.

It's fair to say we can agree to disagree
I think that he can do a decent job.

I just don't like people making excuses about own players for why and when they were/are good.

If they play good, well say they are good. Don't follow up with shits like but he won't be for long or he will have a bad game after this and that.

Of course, people can have their opinions. Same as that I can think it is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Fracture90

I think that he can do a decent job
Isn't this what I've said in my first comment?

There's no shame in him being the weak link in our defense last season considering he's not a CB to begin with.

Really don't know why is it so hard for you to accept that.

The United

Isn't this what I've said in my first comment?

There's no shame in him being the weak link in our defense last season considering he's not a CB to begin with.

Really don't know why is it so hard for you to accept that.
Well read the whole post and you will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.