Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

If we can get a CB back then Blind may be needed in midfield.

The United

No need. Just merge with Darmian with Darmian's positional discipline sense would make Blind formidable.

Blind is very decent defensively this game. Still got the tendency of being got dragged out of position. He's very calm passing between the line, but the long stretching play ball which Rojo did, Blind didn't do as inconsistent. With Fellaini not being able to get up the pitch for Blind's style long ball (favored a target man to knock it down), Blind long ball ended up ineffective. Funny how he is employed as further man up in defending set piece. He doesn't have pace on counter too.

You are saying Blind's long stretching play ball whatever that means is not as good as Rojo's?

I am assuming you mean hofing the ball in the air?

Just making sure.

ti vu

You are saying Blind's long stretching play ball whatever that means is not as good as Rojo's?

I am assuming you mean hofing the ball in the air?

Just making sure.
It is. Rojo's long ball doesn't mean to be hitting target. It's to relieve pressure. He tried to put it in area between opposition CB & FB which is uncomfortable for them to pick up and start recycling possession. That's the chance we push our formation up and counter press. Blind is better at finding target, which is not ideal for our runners. Against possession opposition, Fellaini wouldn't be free enough to be up the pitch as target.

Similar thing happened with their crossing playing as left back. Rojo can gets good liking cross but it seems like overhit, & hard to direct toward the goal (it's good ball for runner to run with the direction of the ball). Blind put better cross, but his crossing is best at picking a tall target while someone like CBJ can place a cross in dangerous area which can be good for short runner to attack

Last edited:

Minimalist

Overall MOTM for me. Had a much tougher job than Bailly and the latter made a fair few mistakes compared with Blind.

binary bot
I don't understand the hate he receives at times, he's as good a squad player as you're likely to get. Hardworking, intelligent and can fill in at multiple positions - what's not to like?

There are plenty of players that I worry about when they're in the back four but he's never been one.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@Lawman would be here with his bullshit if he so much as blinked wrongly
He was great tonight with only slips being Augero hitting the post (he was caught out of position) and he got lucky with Jesus goal (poor body shape and lost his man) offside. But he had a very good game.

Sylar

Got beat a couple of times but that's to be expected going against Aguero. Solid 8/10 performance. Made one bad pass where couldn't release Rasfhord.
I agree with this. I was worried about him going into this run but he was mostly solid.
I do hope he stops rushing out like he does, because he really doesnt have that capability to recover.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's a very good player who, unsurprisingly, had another good game. It's like people forget he's handled Lukaku/Aguero/Kane before and just label him rubbish for no apparent reason other than his physique.

On his rushing out style, I love it.

Jonno

Stepped up really well last night, he struggled when he replaced Rojo off the bench, he looked all over the place but that's understandable. Solid performance against City lets hope it continues, because he's going to play potentially 8 more games in 4 weeks.

Ixion

He's a very useful player whatever position he plays, if he was quicker and a bit stronger he could be world class. Whenever he has played well at CB people have said Smalling carried him and now Baily but it's nonsense.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Underrated. He's good at winning aerial battles for a player who is often criticised for lacking physicality.

He just knows where to be, he doesn't shit it when pressed, and his quick releases of the ball are usually excellent forward passes. Once we get some defenders fit, I see no reason why he can't have another shot as a #6. Carrick surely can't play every game, no chance of TFM now and Fellaini is out for a few games.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I think he's a very accomplished CB as a back up-option.

Solid as a rock yesterday against a very tricky customer in Aguero.

Robertd0803

Did well last night, thought some of the City players looked to exploit his lack of pace and then realized that Blinds positioning was too clever too allow that for the most part.

Tuanzebe to play Sunday and Blind to play in midfield?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Barca can do far worse than signing this guy. Hopefully he stays.

gza the genius

I can't believe he hasn't been given a chance at center back for most of the season. He's just so calm and intelligent. If we get rid of him for some reason but keep Smalling and Jones it'll be a huge mistake.

thepolice123

Tbf his defending in the box still leaves a lot to be desired. Lost his man twice at the near post. First for the Aguero chance which hit the post and the the Jesus offside goal. Could easily been a goal any other day.

shield

Has anyone else noticed how cleanly he wins the ball whenever he presses. Doing that as a CB could sometimes lead to problems if he is not able to win the ball which could potentially lead to us conceding, but as a midfielder, it would be perfect. Just don't understand why he is never tried in midfield.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Tbf his defending in the box still leaves a lot to be desired. Lost his man twice at the near post. First for the Aguero chance which hit the post and the the Jesus offside goal. Could easily been a goal any other day.
Bailly was closer to Aguero than Blind was and he did nothing, yet Blind let his man go. It's so typical. Bailly literally did nothing while Blind went towards Aguero to pick him up and got to late, so who was at fault, weirdly Blind.

Sammyjunn

Has anyone else noticed how cleanly he wins the ball whenever he presses. Doing that as a CB could sometimes lead to problems if he is not able to win the ball which could potentially lead to us conceding, but as a midfielder, it would be perfect. Just don't understand why he is never tried in midfield.
Well because he played in a 4141 with (Young, Fellaini, Herrera, Mata) in front of him, when he was in a struggling team, in a new league 10x as fast as Eredivisie, got caught out a few times, so not good enough. And he's no Carrick.

The United

He could have done better with Aguero chance for sure. But, even top CBs can have a moment or two like that in almost every game . And, it is Aguero.

About Jesus's chance, the fact that jesus was offside means blind did his job. If we are going to find any kind of faults with it, it was tony and whoever else marking their guy. You can't let someone dribbling and running into the middle in the box like that from a side.

Sammyjunn

He could have done better with Aguero chance for sure. But, even top CBs can have a moment or two like that in almost every game . And, it is Aguero.

About Jesus's chance, the fact that jesus was offside means blind did his job. If we are going to find any kind of faults with it, it was tony and whoever else marking their guy. You can't let someone dribbling and running into the middle in the box like that from a side.
Wasnt even his fault, wasnt his man either. Bailly did nothing, see the video above.

Minimalist

Blind gets shit no matter what. You would think Aguero never skinned a defender in his life. :lol:

Jaybomb

His best position for me is LB and CDM.

I would phase Carrick out and use him as our regular holding midfielder. I think he's more than good enough.

Zoo

LB is his worst position. He is better in the middle.

Jaxa

He is going to be much more appreciated either when he leaves us or if he stays with us for a long time and coming to the end of his career like Carrick, which is a shame because he's never played in his best position and therefor always falls short of the plaudits he deserves,

I truely believe he would be brilliant in a Carrick role, a deep lying mid, he's got some crazy passes in him and also a very intelligent football brain and with a bit of a defensive resilience in him,

Great squad member to have and hope he is given a new contract

Sammyjunn

He could actually work well with Pogba and Herrera I think, 3 midfielders who are very good and controlled on the ball with excellent passing range, Blind gets protection from Pogba in his physique and Herrera with his workrate and running, whilst he releases the ball faster in dangerous areas, good long passing, quick passing between the lines. Would be worth a try actually if more CB's were fit.

Mike09

I thought he was solid. It's nice to have a backup centre back who can do the job. And he's not an injury prone. If he can keep this up, he might win my heart and deserve a place in centre back squad next season.

Scrumpet

There are no words
How many times has he been singled out by pundits as a potential weakness in the team?

How many times has he actually let the team down?

Pledge fealty to the world's greatest tryer.

Eric Edwards

Surprised and disappointed to read so many negative comments (yes, I am new) regarding Blind throughout the season. I think he started the season really strong and has played well in multiple positions whenever called on since - which must be challenging.

Not sure why Jose seemed to go off him a few games in. Yes, there were some individual errors but less than our other defenders. He is definitely the most composed on the ball (watching Smalling in possession gives me palpatations) and is an an excellent partner for Bailey I feel.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He is a great option to have, plays multiple positions with minimum fuss.

Also super intelligent player, smashed out Lukaku every time they played due to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.