Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

Fellaini was there to mark Barnes out of the game and that worked well. Mourinho really does his homework.
Blind did well this game. Just as you and some other posters pointed out. Fellaini played a role like he did when he came on vs Anderlecht. I think we're stuck with Fellaini & midfield 3 for now.

Our whole team played terribly in the first half. He'll have a good match this time around.
While many players didn't play to their best, they had positive. Blind came on that game & made mistake after mistake even in second half so without a positive himself until we settled in second around time Fellaini got subbed in and we changed to midfield 3.

Edit: mistook for the previous game. Anyways, quite some players were bad that game & rightly got axed after the game just like Blind as CB after the game. His mistake was fatal for CB.

I said earlier in the season before City game that Blind could have flawless games where even natural CBs has to feel jealous. However, when against some teams who target his weakness by mixing up their play to prevent our players to cover him, he is exposed his flaw in positioning discipline

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Our whole team played terribly in the first half. He'll have a good match this time around.
Maybe, maybe not. Just saying he was poor against City and was at fault for both goals conceded.

Tarrou

Great yesterday.

Him & Bailly could be a good combo for us in the same way he worked well with Smalling for a time. We're lucky to have him as a squad player for situations like this. Much preferable to the likes of Carrick playing there.

Godfather

Did fairly well. Can't trust him 100% myself but I much rather see him in that CB position than anywhere else

Wow. Good performance last game. Fair combination with Bailly. Fellaini helps mitigate their limitations a lot too.

Still, Daley Blind's composure and long passing is really a dangerous weapon to have :devil: perfect for counter attacks.
Providing the rest of our game plan works out it will be good to see those long balls putting John Stones under pressure. He's stuffed up more than a few of those this season.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Maybe, maybe not. Just saying he was poor against City and was at fault for both goals conceded.
Bailly was at fault for De Bruyne's. Not winning the header against Iheanacho is criminal. Blind could have maybe done better but difficult when you've got a player with the run on you from deep, especially when it's someone as good as De Bruyne.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bailly was at fault for De Bruyne's. Not winning the header against Iheanacho is criminal. Blind could have maybe done better but difficult when you've got a player with the run on you from deep, especially when it's someone as good as De Bruyne.
Bailly lost the header and Blind made it very easy for KdB. Letting him go so easily was Blind's fault, not saying Bailly shouldn't be blamed.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Anyone else think there's not a lot of chance of him being at the club next season?

He doesn't fit the mould of a Mourinho player at all, and we've seen how quickly he's been marginalized behind Darmian at LB and the other CBs once there are fit options available.

Name Changed

weso26
He's liable to get caught for pace all the time and he's relatively weak compared to other centre backs. I do like him all the same. Good squad player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Anyone else think there's not a lot of chance of him being at the club next season?

He doesn't fit the mould of a Mourinho player at all, and we've seen how quickly he's been marginalized behind Darmian at LB and the other CBs once there are fit options available.
He might end up staying if one of Jones/Smalling (I'd imagine Jones more likely) does get sold due to injury issues, as well as Rojo possibly being out until September. I think the choice would be his, though. If he wants to stay as a fifth choice CB, and second/third choice LB, then I'm sure Mourinho would have no issue keeping him.

Kant-ona

To exaggerate a bit: You need players like Blind to win titles. Versatile players. Especially considering the injury record in modern football. (Blind is not injury-prone, I would say. So he is not only versatile but most of the time also available.)

He can play three or four positions and still - how should I put it? - is hardly ever one of our worst players on the pitch. Of course he is not as good as the number one or two centre back, of course he is not a LB like Alaba in his best days, but he is doing his job and it's a bit unfair to criticise him in a way we critise players who (a) play more games and have more self confidence and (b) play always on the same position.

This is the longest way of telling that he is a good squad player and I still think that he could be even more for us. I think clubs regret selling players like Blind sooner or later.

shield

Mourinho likes steely players in defence and gives importance to physical characteristics like strength and speed when it comes to defending. Blind has none of these and is not even a natural CB. Has not been given a consistent run of games this season and so will never be able to perform like his team mates who, unlike Blind, have played more games and seem to be in the managers plans. Next match is against City and he would have played just 1 match in the CB position before being up against the likes the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne and Sterling, after spending almost a month on the bench. Can't see that ending well.

Currently, he is being used as a 5th choice CB, and he won't even be that next season when be buy more players and he will at best be 3rd choice in whatever position he plays in. There is no harm in being 2nd choice but 3rd choice is a bit too low.

I really don't like saying this but , for his sake, I think he should move on in the summer. I know the reasons, but I am disappointed to see that we have ended up integrating Fellaini and Lingard in the team while Blind is most likely out and question marks still exist on the future of Martial and Shaw.

Last edited:

worldinmotion66

I'm really surprised Mourinho hasn't tried him in a midfield holding role, though perhaps he fears that he is too easily pressed out of possession. I'd be disappointed if we were to move him on but can see it happening for the sake of the player, he's too good to sit on the bench.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Speaking as Blind fanboy for a minute, I'd love to see him play for Barcelona. Think he'd fit right in with their style of play and probably be their best CB bar Pique.

arthurka

Now it´s time to step up Blind.. Would like him to become a solid player for us and now is the time to step up and show us what he is made of.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Started very well, but struggled a little when City put on the pressure. He rushes forward a little too much.
Yeah, to be fair his positional sense has often been a weaker component of his game and he's a lot less comfortable when under pressure, but on the whole I think it's been one of his more solid performances so far at the back.

Rossa

Yeah, to be fair his positional sense has often been a weaker component of his game and he's a lot less comfortable when under pressure, but on the whole I think it's been one of his more solid performances so far at the back.
Agree with this. I don't feel safe when Aguero starts to run around him though.

Kant-ona

To exaggerate a bit: You need players like Blind to win titles. Versatile players. Especially considering the injury record in modern football. (Blind is not injury-prone, I would say. So he is not only versatile but most of the time also available.)

He can play three or four positions and still - how should I put it? - is hardly ever one of our worst players on the pitch. Of course he is not as good as the number one or two centre back, of course he is not a LB like Alaba in his best days, but he is doing his job and it's a bit unfair to criticise him in a way we critise players who (a) play more games and have more self confidence and (b) play always on the same position.

This is the longest way of telling that he is a good squad player and I still think that he could be even more for us. I think clubs regret selling players like Blind sooner or later.
I just quote myself.

Great to have him. Imo, he was a very good signing. And he showed this again against City.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If only he had smallings body he would be world class

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Got beat a couple of times but that's to be expected going against Aguero. Solid 8/10 performance. Made one bad pass where couldn't release Rasfhord.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Let's see if those so quick to jump on his back for a mistake he made playing CB for the first time in 7 months are going to be in here telling us what a great game he had. Don't hold your breath boys.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Blind's very good positional sense complements Bailly's more aggressive approach very well. The only real problem we should be having at the back from now until the end of the season is fatigue, not a lack of individual quality amongst the defenders.

prath92

Let's see if those so quick to jump on his back for a mistake he made playing CB for the first time in 7 months are going to be in here telling us what a great game he had. Don't hold your breath boys.
@Lawman would be here with his bullshit if he so much as blinked wrongly

Roboc7

Typical blind, all over the place at times tonight but calm and assured in equal measures, always looks vulnerable but did well overall today.

AXVnee7

He was my biggest concerning going into tonight's game, but though he did really well all things considered. We were under siege for the 2nd half and he didn't do much wrong. Well done.

Bwuk

Once again proving he is streets ahead of Smalling and Jones and should be the third choice CB behind Rojo and Bailly.

Calm and composed never panics.

ti vu

If only he had smallings body he would be world class
No need. Just merge with Darmian with Darmian's positional discipline sense would make Blind formidable.

Blind is very decent defensively this game. Still got the tendency of being got dragged out of position. He's very calm passing between the line, but the long stretching play ball which Rojo did, Blind didn't do as inconsistent. With Fellaini not being able to get up the pitch for Blind's style long ball (favored a target man to knock it down), Blind long ball ended up ineffective. Funny how he is employed as further man up in defending set piece. He doesn't have pace on counter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.