Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
For centre defence i worry about the lack of speed, strength or aerial dominance of Blind and think up against a strong striker or a big side we could struggle if Blind-Bailly is the partnership now. Bailly is really hit or miss in the air himself.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Think he has shown time and time again he is a liability at CB. It is no exaggeration that. Decent at lb, but no more.
Mwah if he has, then so have Jones, Smalling and even Rojo bar this season and Bailly too, lets sell everyone! When he had a run at CB under van Gaal, he did very well for us and was reliable bar a few matches vs too tall players (Caroll), he is our 5th CB, he can do a job for that role. For comparison, Arsenal's 5th CB must be Holding or the out on loan Chambers, and Chelsea's 5th CB some youngster. He covers CB and LB well when needed, no reason to sell.

Sylar

Another who I thought did better as the game went on, but I really think he cant be playing CB for us if we want to win Europa. If Rojo is out long-term as it looks, then I think Smallings return might be a blessing (even if it means playing LCB or Bailly going across there).

izec

Think he has shown time and time again he is a liability at CB. It is no exaggeration that. Decent at lb, but no more.
Exactly. Blind has a small and strong fanbase on here, that are blind to his mistakes. His mistakes arent even hidden, from a lot of them we concede. He was a major part of LvG's team as a CB, that failed. Under Mou, not much has changed. He is a shit CB as he is a shit DM for us. Maybe it works in the Eredivisie against Ado Den Haag.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Another who I thought did better as the game went on, but I really think he cant be playing CB for us if we want to win Europa. If Rojo is out long-term as it looks, then I think Smallings return might be a blessing (even if it means playing LCB or Bailly going across there).
Smalling/Jones would both be better ofcourse but we have to do with what we have, by the time of the 2nd leg for example of the semi final, he will have regained some form, match rhytmm, and Mourinho will probably instruct what he wants from him. He'll be better than 1st half today.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He always seems to have a mistake in him, which is almost always punished by a goal. Unluckily for him.

Sylar

Smalling/Jones would both be better ofcourse but we have to do with what we have, by the time of the 2nd leg for example of the semi final, he will have regained some form, match rhytmm, and Mourinho will probably instruct what he wants from him. He'll be better than 1st half today.
Oh I think he will be with more game time. My worry is that he can still be exposed defensively in Europe when under pressure. I think hes a fine CB to have when were going to dominate the ball and play a team who is basically parking the bus for a draw.

Devil may care

He looked like what he is, a player that hasn't had much game time recently and hasn't played as a CB for 6 or 7 months.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Isn't it ironic that we're going to end the season with the same CB pairing we started despite them not playing together at all in between

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Thought he did well myself. Even the winner came from a long ball he picked up fellaini with and the knock down fell to Rashford. The distribution was much better and you couldn't expect him to pick up 2 players on the rebound for their goal, yet he got closest to put in a block.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He always seems to have a mistake in him, which is almost always punished by a goal. Unluckily for him.
Every game he has a lapse. I got pelters for saying this before so where are all these posters now who berated me?

Ashley R1+O

He's an absolute nightmare when communicating and defending 1v1. I thought he grew into the second half and stripped off some of the rust to redeem himself but you can tell he's not entirely comfortable playing CB. At times last year he was absolutely dire in those 1v1 situations that resulted in goals. If you get back goal-side like that you at the very least have to get something on the opponent's shot. He was put in a literal spin cycle.

Ixion

He got better as the game went on but had a nightmare for the remainder of the first half after coming on. Good ball into Fellaini though for the goal.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Every game he has a lapse. I got pelters for saying this before so where are all these posters now who berated me?
It's something I've mentioned before myself. He has a mistake in him in every game. It's a shame because he usually does other things well.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's an absolute nightmare when communicating and defending 1v1. I thought he grew into the second half and stripped off some of the rust to redeem himself but you can tell he's not entirely comfortable playing CB. At times last year he was absolutely dire in those 1v1 situations that resulted in goals. If you get back goal-side like that you at the very least have to get something on the opponent's shot. He was put in a literal spin cycle.
Who would you blame if he didn't get back like everyone else? Just out of interest.

Bojan11

They are gathering their whoscored stats from last season to pelt you with.

iportman

For now . But both of those glass dolls have long ago shown they cant be relied on in so many ways .

ti vu

Who would you blame if he didn't get back like everyone else? Just out of interest.
Wouldn't need to get back since both Anderlecht players went for the rebound was played offside.

Thought he did well myself. Even the winner came from a long ball he picked up fellaini with and the knock down fell to Rashford. The distribution was much better and you couldn't expect him to pick up 2 players on the rebound for their goal, yet he got closest to put in a block.
He played both of them onside when the whole defense pushed up. Watch the replay of the goal, almost every other players called for offside. They knew they did the right thing tactically to push out of the box & play offside. They didn't anticipate Blind to play those 2 players onside & were extremely confused thus slowed down their reaction significantly.

We're not playing the possession based football. We can expect not having upper hand in possession thus defend more. Blind has some nice tool in his locker, but without the solid defensive game it's far from ideal as a CB in Mourinho team. LVG team built is to max out possession, even the pointless passes to prevent other team to have to ball and attack. It's that kind of defensive set up to cover Blind's flaw.

Web of Bissaka

Against teams where we are in total domination and plenty of possession, Blind playing as CB is good tactically. His passing especially his long balls are a dangerous weapon to have, like the one that lead to Rashford's goal last game. This depends on the other CB to cover him defensively though.

He's limited playing a CB, and just okay there, but then we don't have much option since the better CBs are out injured. Good enough as CB cover but he would make costly mistakes though.

At least now, Tuanzebe have better chances playing, fighting for the position against Blind.

But, for me somehow Daley Blind could have a superb performance playing as CB, which is weird. I think it's due to his good intelligence in reading opponents and great anticipations in interceptions. Not always though.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wouldn't need to get back since both Anderlecht players went for the rebound was played offside.

He played both of them onside when the whole defense pushed up. Watch the replay of the goal, almost every other players called for offside. They knew they did the right thing tactically to push out of the box & play offside. They didn't anticipate Blind to play those 2 players onside & were extremely confused thus slowed down their reaction significantly.

We're not playing the possession based football. We can expect not having upper hand in possession thus defend more. Blind has some nice tool in his locker, but without the solid defensive game it's far from ideal as a CB in Mourinho team. LVG team built is to max out possession, even the pointless passes to prevent other team to have to ball and attack. It's that kind of defensive set up to cover Blind's flaw.
I'll have to see that again but I'll take your word for it. I thought both of their players rushed the box without being marked but I can see how he'd miss the offside trap having just entered the game.

Ashley R1+O

Don't care really, we won so lets chalk it off and move onto the next game. Players make mistakes every now and then, we move onto the next round and that is the most important part.

Na, Rooney of course. Who else?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Every defender made a mistake yesterday, but the told-you-so's want to focus on the player who hasnt started CB in 7 months though, go figure...

At times last year he was absolutely dire in those 1v1 situations that resulted in goals.
He played as our last defender and was almost never beaten in a 1 on 1. I swear some people just invent what happens to justify their opinon. He was our best CB last season, better than Rojo, better than Smalling, better than Jones.

He's just not a centre half, that attempted offside call last night is further proof of that. But I really liked him as a DM and think he should fight for a move this summer to a club that will play him there, will definitely be the best thing for his career.

Home&Away

We got to see the best and worst of him yesterday.

I don't think any of his fans has actually called him to replace rojo throughout the season - so Fans vs Fans for having some belief in Blind is unwarranted.

How many times have we played emergency hoof ball in the last 10 mins of games? Blind is clearly more of a capable player to make an influence at that point than some of the other players we put on. If he is not deemed to be good enough for CB, then let him play in front of them. He had a whole season at CB to bring a more defensive balance to his game in the premier league.

For every fan who may say the Pro- Blind guys are neglecting his problems- it can be said the same fans and even Jose at times not paying attention to the positives he could bring once in a whilst.

dirkey

I'm not a fan of Blind. I do feel he's being unfairly singled out for the goal yesterday - when things are breaking down like that, playing someone onside is easy to do, it's a scramble, you don't have as much time to process things. The bigger mistake in my book was Shaw playing them onside inititally. That was a well coordinated offside trap that he just completely ballsed up.

In saying that, I'd much rather Tuanzebe or even Carrick at cb. I do not trust Blind in the slightest. Don't ever want him anywhere near the team.

gza the genius

He has hardly played at all and not at center back since the very beginning of the season. He was bound to be a little rusty. I trust him more than I trust Jones and he's probably shown better form than Smalling has lately as well. It's not ideal obviously but I think he'll do fine until we can get Rojo back.

ti vu

I'll have to see that again but I'll take your word for it. I thought both of their players rushed the box without being marked but I can see how he'd miss the offside trap having just entered the game.

The side way angle (around final fourth of the club length) shows it clearly that at the time of the shot every one our players) except Blind, were pretty much on the same line. Carrick, Bailly were original on same line as Blind.

Shaw Carrick Valencia Carrick all raised their hand asking for offside call. They were well aware they didn't play any of Anderlecht players onside themselves thus confused when they turned around to see 2 players that far behind (impossible from onside position to sprint that quick without getting noticed)

This piece of tactic was now one of the regular defensive tactic under Mourinho.
Every defender made a mistake yesterday, but the told-you-so's want to focus on the player who hasnt started CB in 7 months though, go figure...

He played as our last defender and was almost never beaten in a 1 on 1. I swear some people just invent what happens to justify their opinon. He was our best CB last season, better than Rojo, better than Smalling, better than Jones.
LVG utilized a man marking system with Smalling given the hunting task while Blind stayed behind reading the situation & sweep. Blind's problem is always the weird positioning. Seems like he is too busy reading & forget his positioning at time. On the back of my head, the first goal vs West Ham away where Blind stayed in no land & played West Ham on side to start their initial attack leading the goal; West Brom goal where again he played Rondon (?) onside but in the end left Rondon too much space to pull his shot; City's second goal earlier this season... There are many more that not result in goal. It does not only happen when he plays CB. He did the same as left back. He has the tendency to get pulled into midfield & leaves huge gap in defensive line too.

Yes his reading of the game as the last man in defense arguably the best of all our CB, but we no longer play the system that suited this style. Mourinho demands more discipline in defensive play. Darmian as I repeated quite a few times seems like our best defender in term of doing the basic positioning, tactical piece correctly. I can't recall Darmian playing player onside (that he can't individual dealing with) this season at all.

I'm not a fan of Blind. I do feel he's being unfairly singled out for the goal yesterday - when things are breaking down like that, playing someone onside is easy to do, it's a scramble, you don't have as much time to process things. The bigger mistake in my book was Shaw playing them onside inititally. That was a well coordinated offside trap that he just completely ballsed up.

In saying that, I'd much rather Tuanzebe or even Carrick at cb. I do not trust Blind in the slightest. Don't ever want him anywhere near the team.
If it's only for the goal then it's surely unfair for only Blind being called out. However, it's not the first bad positioning/ defending he did when he got on, nor the last. He kept got pulled out of position quite few times. This happened in other games too as I just pointed out above that when he had plenty of game time or played as left back.

You can see me point out Shaw' stupidity on his own thread despite other poster excuse him to be rusty. This is just poor nothing to do with rustiness with Blind as example. Even with more gametime he still does the same. Positioning discipline is what can be fixed in training & nothing to do with gametime, since it's awareness, than reading the play which is the later scenario Shaw did well when Blind made the mistake (expecting a shot which is time to apply defensive tactic to push up the defense & set up a offside trap).

Last edited:

Ashley R1+O

I swear some people just invent what happens to justify their opinon.
He was our best CB last season, better than Rojo, better than Smalling, better than Jones.
:confused:

Blind's problem is always the weird positioning. Seems like he is too busy reading & forget his positioning at time. On the back of my head, the first goal vs West Ham away where Blind stayed in no land & played West Ham on side to start their initial attack leading the goal; West Brom goal where again he played Rondon (?) onside but in the end left Rondon too much space to pull his shot; City's second goal earlier this season... There are many more that not result in goal. It does not only happen when he plays CB. He did the same as left back. He has the tendency to get pulled into midfield & leaves huge gap in defensive line too.
Agreed, analyzing him over the last two seasons I don't think he's very good in 1v1 situations. Even above, he gets back goalside and still can't get the ball away or block the shot. That was quite painful to watch.

Jaybomb

I think Blind should be in the starting 11 every week but not as a CB.

I want to see Tuanzebe or Mensah given a shot.

peridigm

I recall us having to resort to a Carrick Blind CB under LVGs first season. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that.

Bailly and Blind started the season strong. Then Smalling worked his way back in and that was it for Blind except the occassional game at LB. I think he and Bailly need to start Sunday to give them minutes. Would be insanity to try snythjng else at this point of the season. Hope to feck neither get injured. We could end up with feck all this season.

shabz

Blind can be solid, just needs some game time. But we can also go three at the back with any of Darmian, Blind, Fosu-Mensah and possibly Tuanzebe around Bailly. With Zlatan out and a likely bit more pace up front we can be effective on the counter whilst maintaining a solid base at the back. It's not ideal and I'm sure Mourinho will seek to rectify our injury woes in the summer, but hopefully the fans stay positive and rally behind us throughout the rest of the season.

Ixion

He has proven competent at CB before, he started the season with Baily well enough he just hasn't played there for ages and I doubt he has been training there either but suddenly got thrown into a match there and needed the first half to settle. He can do a decent job.

Time for him to step up. He's done it before and I'm sure he'll do it again. Bailly will be a good foil to him and his calmness should rub off on the others in the back line.

itso 7

Blind can be solid, just needs some game time. But we can also go three at the back with any of Darmian, Blind, Fosu-Mensah and possibly Tuanzebe around Bailly. With Zlatan out and a likely bit more pace up front we can be effective on the counter whilst maintaining a solid base at the back. It's not ideal and I'm sure Mourinho will seek to rectify our injury woes in the summer, but hopefully the fans stay positive and rally behind us throughout the rest of the season.
He is also quite useful in building up play from the back which is essential in Carrick's absence (needs rest can't be playing 2 games in 4 days at his age) and I agree that with the team in.this state we need the security of a back 3. We need to alter our tactics now that Zlatan is out long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.