Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

I think he did well once again. I'm not a huge fan, but when he plays well he plays well. There was this one funny incident when there was a perfectly weighted pass down the left flank for him for every player on the pitch bar him; he was just too slow to get to it, and really every other player would have got to it. He played some nice passes, and I wonder if having Blind to his left makes Smalling play better on the LCB position.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think he did well once again. I'm not a huge fan, but when he plays well he plays well. There was this one funny incident when there was a perfectly weighted pass down the left flank for him for every player on the pitch bar him; he was just too slow to get to it, and really every other player would have got to it. He played some nice passes, and I wonder if having Blind to his left makes Smalling play better on the LCB position.
His range of passing is exceptional for a LB. So much so that his lack of pace doesn't hinder him in an attacking sense at all. Defensively, it's more of a problem but when he's on his game he's willy enough to compensate. I'm all in favour of giving him a run of games in that position.

red4ever 79

I rate our Daley very highly. Rarely lets us down, never makes a fuss when he isnt selected. Can perform to a decent standard at LB, and CB. His range of passing as mentioned above is top class. I would like to see him given an opportunity now Carrick is out at the base of the midfield three, however Jose is unlikely to deploy him there.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He will never be a long term first choice option, but he does a job most of the times selected. He is no worse than Shaw currently and should start until Shaw gets back to his absolute best (7 game run before injury) or we get a new LB. I'd like him to stay here for a long period, he's so versatile and has a good minimum level with a good basis of technique, passing, reading and anticipation.

Rostov 1:1 Man Utd

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Thought he did well today, especially given the state of that pitch and how it wouldn't suit a passer. Our left side wasn't at fault for much and offered the most offensively. Could have been in on goal a couple of times had it not been for shanked passes over to him too.

shield

People keep talking about adding more quality to the left back position but I think any player will find it very hard to displace Blind. There is literally no one in our squad at the moment who can do consistently what he does. I have also noticed that Martial tends to have better perfromances when Blind is playing as a left back.

Yes, we do need someone better in this position but the replacement( hopefully Shaw) will have to perform really well.

MadMike

I thought he did very poorly, but people in here think he did well. I mean there's not much to take from this particular game but I thought both his passing and his crossing were really off. Young looked better on the other wing in comparison.

Devil81

Just wish he had more pace, technically fantastic but lacks so much through being so slow.

TheSweeper

Should have been our 3rd CB tonight. Absolutely no ability anywhere in our defense to pass the ball forward.

Sylar

Should have been our 3rd CB tonight. Absolutely no ability anywhere in our defense to pass the ball forward.
Yeah, I was thinking that whilst watching the game. Could have done with him in Jones position. Could have dropped into CB when needed, and been more control with our passing when on the ball.

TheSweeper

Yeah, I was thinking that whilst watching the game. Could have done with him in Jones position. Could have dropped into CB when needed, and been more control with our passing when on the ball.
Especially playing Rashford upfront making runs down the channels; we still needed a passer.

The thing with playing 352 isnt merely to do with 'quality' as such; players who were once mediocre look better when adequately shielded and given freedom to play and pass the ball. The change of appreciation for both David Luiz & bonucci when playing centrally in a 3 man defense is testament to this in my opinion.

Sylar

Has anything been said about him? Thought he did well to stretch the play and use the width to offer an option for crossing. Also nice to see corners not hitting the first man.

TheSweeper

A 3 man defence is made for blind and not 3 rock solid defenders like smalling, jones and bailly. I really hope we get to see him there. I actually prefer young at LB over blind there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
A 3 man defence is made for blind and not 3 rock solid defenders like smalling, jones and bailly. I really hope we get to see him there. I actually prefer young at LB over blind there.
Either than or in midfield. His passing range is best utilised centrally. Lord knows we have been struggling in that department over the last two games.

AP88

Supports
Man City
The only central defender in the squad with football intelligence and the capacity to use the ball properly, a fundamental element of a properly functioning back 3. Yet Mourinho continually opts for his strongmen.....

He's been tragically underused this season in his two best positions, centreback or even as a midfield anchor, simply because Jose has a fetish for big men. He's such a good player he even has a calming effect on the otherwise calamity Smalling; I'd still say they're the best balanced combination available and would provide the kind of solid, steady base that's been lacking.

Reactions: Penna

TheSweeper

The only central defender in the squad with football intelligence and the capacity to use the ball properly, a fundamental element of a properly functioning back 3. Yet Mourinho continually opts for his strongmen.....

He's been tragically underused this season in his two best positions, centreback or even as a midfield anchor, simply because Jose has a fetish for big men. He's such a good player he even has a calming effect on the otherwise calamity Smalling; I'd still say they're the best balanced combination available and would provide the kind of solid, steady base that's been lacking.
Exactly - in my opinion Rojo & Bailly are both as strong but quicker than both smalling and Jones. We play Blind between Bailly and Rojo then we can have such a solid back 3 - it's kind of scary. You have pace, strength, passing.

This would also help Pogba & Herrera play in a 2 Man Midfield because we have a CDM CB behind him.

Nakhon Phanom

Yes,its a shame he has not been used so much this season.If we play 3 centre backs he should definitely be one of them or be used as a defensive midfielder.....surprised he's not been used there more often,tbh.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Could this guy not play in the midfield today Jose?

No Pogba or Hererra.

Come on FFS.
I'd like to see Blind in midfield more, especially with Pogba and Herrera out, but to be fair, I think a fixture against West Brom is probably the right game to use Fellaini.

Smalling, Pogba and Zlatan are our tallest players and they are all out. West Brom score more goals from set pieces than any other side. Carrick and Fellaini had to be the midfield 2.

TheSweeper

Should have played him next to Carrick to help pass the ball in to channels

3KDré

Fellaini played well today, Blind should have played instead of Carrick.

TheSweeper

And replace our MotM (alongside Lingard)?
Fellaini was good but surely we were playing crosses in half the game for his purpose? If we played Ibrahimovic then sure let's cross every chance we get including fellaini. However you play speedy strikers you need players who have the capability to pass the ball in to channels.

Just because fellaini was good today doesn't mean someone else could not have played better

Godfather

Fellaini was good but surely we were playing crosses in half the game for his purpose? If we played Ibrahimovic then sure let's cross every chance we get including fellaini. However you play speedy strikers you need players who have the capability to pass the ball in to channels.

Just because fellaini was good today doesn't mean someone else could not have played better
That was down to a severe lack of creativity, accuracy and attacking game plan.

R'hllor

Blind not playing has nothing to do with his skills as football players,with chieftain its either about age or height when it comes to defensive part.

Morpheus 7

He's not rated clearly by Jose as well, I think he could offered something in midfield today, definitely in an attacking sense. Even as a full back would have had a better delivery than young, which wouldn't be hard.

Roboc7

I don't see what difference playing him in midfield would have made, he isn't good enough there, might have been worth a go as a CB though.

Status
Not open for further replies.