Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Ofcourse it matters what type of pass it is. Look at Ederson at Benfica vs Ederson vs City, half the amount of long passes and he's averaging a 20% higher pass accuracy. It's a bit absurd comparing pass accuracy when you average 3 times as many long balls per match, where over 45% of your passes are long balls.

We've never solely built from the back, we tried it for a period under Van Gaal but teams successfully locked us off, didn't do it under Fergie either, which is easily shown by the fact that ratio of long balls compared to short passes has generally been the same for De Gea, the only freak outlier is Mourinho's first season where he averaged 24 passes per match and over 9 of them were long balls. People have only started complaining about it over the last two seasons, which is hardly a surprise.
Under Ferguson in 2012/13 26% of his passes per game were long balls, under Mou in 2017/18 season 27.5% of his passes were long balls. Now he was pinging inch perfect passes under Ferguson with 54.8% competion rate and his passing wasn't his weakest side but with 57.5% competion rate under Mou with the season quoted above his passing has gone downhill?

Still sounds like bullshit to me, yes. His passing has always been his weakest side and it hasn't improved much over the time, got feck all to do with Mou's tactics too.

UncleBob

Under Ferguson in 2012/13 26% of his passes per game were long balls, under Mou in 2017/18 season 27.5% of his passes were long balls. Now he was pinging inch perfect passes under Ferguson with 54.8% competion rate and his passing wasn't his weakest side but with 57.5% competion rate under Mou with the season quoted above his passing has gone downhill?

Still sounds like bullshit to me, yes. His passing has always been his weakest side and it hasn't improved much over the time, got feck all to do with Mou's tactics too.
I haven't claimed his passing has gone downhill in recent seasons, I've claimed that people have suddenly started complaining about it over the last two seasons, I've claimed that under Mourinho there's a bigger focus on getting the ball booted forward and it's natural given his tactics, if you want to check it further I'm pretty sure average distance would be a decent place to start.

Ederson increasing pass accuracy by 20% isn't a coincidence.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I think this season the team has shown that they can play the ball out from the back fairly comfortably even with Smalling there. Beats me that de Gea usually chooses to launch it long towards the midfield or forwards, more often than not surrendering possession. Against teams like Juve who don't press that high and are happy to drop back, it's infuriating to see us happy to give possession back to them again and again.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
First season in a while where DDG hasn't been a world-class player throughout almost every game. Needs to get his shit together really.

predator

Youth NITK
He made a lot of saves. They outclassed us in almost every department.

To even question De Gea's performance is simply crazy. There's clutching at straws and then there's blaming our best performer and arguably the best goalkeeper in the world.

If we had a bang average keeper tonight we probably would be in the 5 to 6 nil clearance of a defeat.

fallengt

Our defensive record last season was so overrated. De Gea pulled so many inhuman saves that flattered our results
He's not in that form right now and we're fecked because of that. I don't blame him, he's the least of our problem.

Last season at ethiad was exactly the same like yesterday. We could have easily lost 3 or 4 by half time but thank to De Gea(and Sterling) who kept us in the game.

Our defense is hopeless without an in form De Gea.

Kapardin

He's an amazing shot stopper despite his regression this season, but pretty much mediocre in everything else. Before the game, everyone was mocking the idea that Ederson would get in ahead of him in a combined XI. This is due to the affection we have for De Gea, which is understandable I guess.

The simple fact is, Ederson is a better all-round keeper. Shot stopping may not be superhuman, but is quite good or above average for a team with a working defense. Passing is world class. Dunno how he is on pens, but if he even saves 1, that would be more than De Gea in current years.

Sylar

He cost us a goal against City last season too with his kicking. It has defo gotten worse over time with us, whether its lack of training on it, or being told to just kick as soon as he gets it.

Obviously theres a lack of movement ahead of him (Ederson put some really good passes yesterday to a moving Sane). Dont think we had anybody making runs like that, but then maybe thats because they know they wont be found? Its a weird one.

For yesterday, I think DDG himself would be disappointed he didnt get something on the second.

Shinjch

To blame that second goal on De Gea is very harsh for me. His kick went to Lingard who managed to lose the ball when he should have retained it, then there was a massive chasm in the middle of our defensive third for Aguero to run straight into leading to a one-two and a shot that was too powerful from short range to handle. De Gea would have needed a bit of luck for the ball to hit him with the way it was hit.

Goalkeeper is still by far the least of our worries.

Mick321

He made a lot of saves. They outclassed us in almost every department.

To even question De Gea's performance is simply crazy. There's clutching at straws and then there's blaming our best performer and arguably the best goalkeeper in the world.

If we had a bang average keeper tonight we probably would be in the 5 to 6 nil clearance of a defeat.
He's clearly not the best goalie in the world. He's good but how can the best goalie in the world be someone who doesn't like coming off his line and is average with the ball? Not that he's crap or a problem before I get jumped on but he's not the best goalkeeper in the world, not even close.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
To blame that second goal on De Gea is very harsh for me. His kick went to Lingard who managed to lose the ball when he should have retained it, then there was a massive chasm in the middle of our defensive third for Aguero to run straight into leading to a one-two and a shot that was too powerful from short range to handle. De Gea would have needed a bit of luck for the ball to hit him with the way it was hit.

Goalkeeper is still by far the least of our worries.
I agree. I thought it was a good drilled pass with poor control by Lingard. We want De Gea to be playing passes through the lines rather than just hoofing it, and when he does play a good one, he is blamed for the recipient miscontrolling it. The guy can't win. If that drilled pass goes to Mata, chances are we keep the ball.

Ederson played a few similar ones, and the recipient managed to turn and shield the ball and get their pass away. This is probably why De Gea is instructed to hit it long and high instead, because we don't have the players to receive such a drilled pass and take care of the ball under pressure, where as City have lots of players who can do that.

I guess we expect De Gea to do better with the shot because we know he's often capable of miraculous saves, but Aguero absolutely smashes it. He's the best at blasting them in from the near post. I remember Drogba was good at it too. Both would leave goalkeepers looking like they hadn't got a clue what had happened, and unfortunately that's what happened to De Gea.

Coxy

He's clearly not the best goalie in the world. He's good but how can the best goalie in the world be someone who doesn't like coming off his line and is average with the ball? Not that he's crap or a problem before I get jumped on but he's not the best goalkeeper in the world, not even close.
Oh, come on. Even if you don't think he's the best - he's easily in the top 3 alongside Oblak and Neuer

If you really don't think he's close, I worry about you.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I would expect him to do better with the second, mainly because I've seen him save shots exactly like that one before.

He's still an incredible goalkeeper and literally the least of our concerns.

Mick321

Oh, come on. Even if you don't think he's the best - he's easily in the top 3 alongside Oblak and Neuer

If you really don't think he's close, I worry about you.
Nah, Ter Stegen is much better. Ederson and Alisson are better all rounders too. Won't go down well on here but it's what I think, he's good and I'm not saying sell he's crap but he's not amongst the best.

I know someone will post Ter Stegen's error yesterday now, luckily Dave never makes any :D

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He's the least of our problems. We, as a team, are conceding more shots than the teams in the top four...again. He having to make more saves than all those keepers. Of course he's going to concede a few - it's inevitable. We just invite pressure all the time and there's a fundamental problem with us as a team. I mean, 24 fecking goals conceded! Crazy.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I know he’s above criticism on here but he’s been appalling in some of our defeats. Brighton, Spurs and yesterday stand out.

He’s really poor at commanding his area – The six yard box especially we’re constantly seeing players unchallenged. The best keepers in the world simply don’t allow this. Everyone will focus on the second goal which can happen anyone – The far bigger issue was the third. Because it’s a consistent problem. De Gea wouldn’t give away the penalty Ederson did but there’s zero chance Ederson allows Gundogan to take two touches 7 yards from the goal. He would have been out on him and forced him to take it first time – Neuer, Courtois, Ter Stegen etc all do the same. It’s a weakness teams have been exploiting all season long. Between the defenders and the keeper something needs to be sorted out. It’s a shambles and De Gea shouldn’t escape blame because of his phenomenal shot stopping.

Kapardin

I don't even want to think about where we would be without him.
To be brutally honest, we would have 2-3 points more without him and with a more competent GK this season.

Before anyone crucified me for this, let me just say that yes, he's almost a club legend and has saved us a lot in the past. Doesn't excuse his poor form and really poor all-round play at the moment.

SAFMUTD

Maybe it's because I'm used to see him saving everything but I think he has been bang average this season, he was the only true world class player we had in all this shitty years and for the first time I think he is not having a good season. He hasn't done any bad bad mistakes but I can not help to think that he could have saved many of the goals if he was in top form.

It may be due to his world cup mistakes with Spain that may have affect his confidence, but I'm pretty sure he will get back to what he used to be.

A-man

Likewise. People claiming he should be saving shots from six yards smashed past him haven't ever played in goal.
I think the point made was that most other top goalies would not allow so many shots to be taken from 6 yards, because they don’t stay on the line.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't believe people are having a go at him for the kick. It's Lingard who couldn't trap a bag of cement.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think the point made was that most other top goalies would not allow so many shots to be taken from 6 yards, because they don’t stay on the line.
It's a one two, if he rushes out he's less set to save a shot as he is moving forward. He has more success shaping his body and working angles. Sometimes the striker connects and the shot is never going to be saved.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was a couple of years ago. Indeed for quite a few years it was a straight shoot-out between himself and Neuer, with Neuer at his peak being better but he also tended to make more mistakes. Some years Neuer was better overall and some years it was De Gea.

The last 18 months things have changed a bit, with some of the other young keepers really coming into their own to provide more competition, while De Gea himself hasn't been quite as good. Statistically I believe last season was actually his best, but in reality I felt it was his worst for a couple of years. Certainly at the beginning of the season anyway, where he got off to a relatively slow start for the first month or two and conceded a number of goals he'd normally have stopped. That has happened again this season except worse this time, so hopefully he'll turn it around like he did last season.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
To be brutally honest, we would have 2-3 points more without him and with a more competent GK this season.

Before anyone crucified me for this, let me just say that yes, he's almost a club legend and has saved us a lot in the past. Doesn't excuse his poor form and really poor all-round play at the moment.
:eek::houllier::lol:
Watch the Leicester and Wolves match again

Moriarty

Shame he hasn't got a couple of boss central defenders in front of him. That way, he could bring a book out with him and make a brew between saves.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just saw Croatia's first goal. Why does he like to stay in the goal so much? That was ridiculous decision to stay and wait, the ball was literally in front of him, he should have come out 9 times out of 10 in that situation.

arthurka

Just saw Croatia's first goal. Why does he like to stay in the goal so much? That was ridiculous decision to stay and wait, the ball was literally in front of him, he should have come out 9 times out of 10 in that situation.
I thought the third was even worse, not a great shot by any stretch of the imagination . Not that the two goals are his I've certainly seen much much better.

Raw

He's really not the same for Spain is he? If he keeps this bad form up, Kepa's taking his spot.

Bobski

Missing an edge at the moment. Most players go through periods like this at some stage, but he should look at some of the weak areas in his game and look to improve instead of stagnating. Kicking and willingness to leave his line the 2 obvious areas to focus on there.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
He's been doing this for years, the most overrated player in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.