Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

King.of.Red

Well, now many people in Spain wont like him so it's safe to say that he wont move to la liga. C'mon Dave, just renew your contract with us. We all love you. :D

Red00012

He set his standards so high every little mistake he makes is scrutinized. Still the best GK in the world though.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He set his standards so high every little mistake he makes is scrutinized. Still the best GK in the world though.
I dont know I mean he is freaking fantastic save after save game after game BUT when he puts on the Spain shirt he is god awful I dont know what it is? he just cant perform for Spain I feel his name keeps him in the lineup.

De Gea for United is a different player I swear.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He should be dropped for Spain, he's never had a good game for them. Give Kepa a chance.

Canagel

DDG is part of the problem defensively. He's very good shot stopper but Both Spain and United have shaky defences and maybe his hesitancy to come for some balls or lack of commanding in the penalty area is affecting the two teams.

Sauldogba

I have never seen such a top top keeper be so un commanding in his box. He never comes out for corners or crosses be it to punch the ball away or catch it.
Now compare that to prime Cech,Kahn,Schmeichel. Someone needs to have a word.

meamth

Finally a season without Sir Matt Busby award. I reckon Martial will take it from him.

EDIT:
Forgot Herrera won it.

Trizy

He hasn't been great this season, huh? Still the best in the world.

Ban

I did. And he made a save at 0-0 to tip a shot onto the post

But overall it was still a poor performance
Why exactly. Good saves from Rebić and Perišić and couldn't do much for any of our 3 goals.

Posh Red

I dont know I mean he is freaking fantastic save after save game after game BUT when he puts on the Spain shirt he is god awful I dont know what it is? he just cant perform for Spain I feel his name keeps him in the lineup.

De Gea for United is a different player I swear.
Probably the only player I can think of that performs better at United compared with their national team :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The parry for the 3rd wasn't exactly a big mistake.

The issue was the defence were literally sitting right infront of him, so croatia could stand about 5 yards away. He tried to push the ball wide but obviously it didn't fall perfectly and came out a little further than he would like.

The Croatian read it well and got there first.

If the line was higher he could have got up and cleared it, but hey ho.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Im sorry though, u can't be called 'the best in the world' at something if you're so poor at a big part of it (reading the game and coming out of your line), there's more to goalkeeping than shot stopping.

It's like calling someone who's really fast but smashes into every hurdle 'the best hurdler in the world'.

PepsiCola

He's definitely the best shot stopper in the world.

But there are questions regarding his command of the area, coming off the line and distribution.

It's okay to discuss things.

Ban

Im sorry though, u can't be called 'the best in the world' at something if you're so poor at a big part of it (reading the game and coming out of your line), there's more to goalkeeping than shot stopping.

It's like calling someone who's really fast but smashes into every hurdle 'the best hurdler in the world'.
Well of course. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I'm entitled to mine that your post was crap. No hard feelings.

Johan07

I love De Gea. He is top-three in the world IMO.
Still does not mean that he does not have holes in his game.
a) His kicking is average. Not bad, but far from great. He can improve.
b) His command of the penalty area is probably not even average at PL-level. He is still not good at crosses and corners taken, even if he has improved immensely since he came to United. Its still the major part of his game to improve though.
In that respect he is not really a Mourinho-GK, since a Mourinho-team almost invites crosses and corners/dead balls. And trusts the defense and GK to take care of this and turn it into transitions/counters.

Much have been said about De Gea saving us the last couple of years, and he has been great. Especially regarding b) above he could do better though. Much better. Its not just our defence´s fault that we look shaky at crosses and dead balls. De Gea has to shoulder some blame for this as well together with the accolades for the other parts of his game.

Trizy

He's definitely the best shot stopper in the world.

But there are questions regarding his command of the area, coming off the line and distribution.

It's okay to discuss things.
There's no questions about it though, is there? He's distribution is wank and he's like a puppy trying to command the box.

Rossa

And you were promoted how? He has much more to his game than shot stopping. I wouldn't swap him for anyone but that doesn't mean that he is flawless.

Most overrated, OK then

PepsiCola

Well of course. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I'm entitled to mine that your post was crap. No hard feelings.
Man how do mods let posts like this fly?

What discussion does this promote? Its juvenile.

Ban

Man how do mods let posts like this fly?

What discussion does this promote? Its juvenile.
I've seen much, much worse stuff which went unnoticed, yet you have problem with that post.
Anyway it's a forum where you speak about, well, posts.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know whether it is his problem too, but as far as the Spanish are concerned, De Gea's massive, unforgivable flaw is....well, not being Iker Casillas

How much that affects him, i'm not sure. But until Spain wins something with him, or he has an incredible tournament, he'll keep getting blamed for stuff that really isn't his fault. Like against Croatia

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Dont understand why he stays rooted to his line. Especially for spain.

sugar_kane

He is the best shot stopper in the world but I think we could survive him leaving as long as we get better defenders in.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't know whether it is his problem too, but as far as the Spanish are concerned, De Gea's massive, unforgivable flaw is....well, not being Iker Casillas

How much that affects him, i'm not sure. But until Spain wins something with him, or he has an incredible tournament, he'll keep getting blamed for stuff that really isn't his fault. Like against Croatia
The strange thing is that if you compare top goalkeepers he probably is most like Casillas. Both amazing shot-stoppers (certainly the best of their respective generations), but their all round game isn't as good as others. It's why I'm a bit worried that De Gea relies so much on purely being such a good shot-stopper; just like Casillas did he may end up falling away quite significantly in the second half of his career as he can't rely so heavily on making amazing saves all the time.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As insightful and informative as your other reply, thanks.
You've not given him a lot to work with to be fair, if you call him the most overrated player in the world you're probably not going to get people writing you dissertations on why you're wrong.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
OK, fair enough.

I would consider being rated as the best in the world as being pretty highly rated.
Not just that, it's as if it's just a nailed on fact that we should all accept, De Gea is the best keeper in the world, I hear it everywhere.
I even heard Gary Neville say recently that De Gea is the equivalent of Messi in terms of his importance to his team.

I personally feel as though that is way too much praise for someone who has such a massive flaw in their game, particularly something as important as reading the game and coming out of their line.

A realistic comparison then.
For years Romelu Lukaku was banging in goals for fun (not this year sadly) but he was never really considered as one of the best strikers in the world because his all round game wasn't that great, 'there's more to leading the line than scoring goals' people would say, a fair point that I agree with.

So how is this any different?
'There's more to goalkeeping that shot-stopping', that's pretty much all I was saying.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
You've not given him a lot to work with to be fair, if you call him the most overrated player in the world you're probably not going to get people writing you dissertations on why you're wrong.
OK, fair enough.

I would consider being rated as the best in the world as being pretty highly rated.
Not just that, it's as if it's just a nailed on fact that we should all accept, De Gea is the best keeper in the world, I hear it everywhere.
I even heard Gary Neville say recently that De Gea is the equivalent of Messi in terms of his importance to his team.

I personally feel as though that is way too much praise for someone who has such a massive flaw in their game, particularly something as important as reading the game and coming out of their line.

A realistic comparison then.
For years Romelu Lukaku was banging in goals for fun (not this year sadly) but he was never really considered as one of the best strikers in the world because his all round game wasn't that great, 'there's more to leading the line than scoring goals' people would say, a fair point that I agree with.

So how is this any different?
'There's more to goalkeeping that shot-stopping', that's pretty much all I was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.