Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number4.

this is 20 months of poor form now and clearly not a blip. He has had two wonder games over the last the year which have perpetuated the myth that he is still a world class keeper. Two years of averageness means he can no longer be included in that bracket......

For me, on form he is now behind at least 10 PL keepers & is a weak link at OT (Ederson, Alisson, Dubravka, Foster, Leno, Patricio, Kepa & Schmeicel for sure)

options....

1) hope PSG can do us favour & sell - replace with Dubravka if you ask me
2) change the GK coaching team to hope for a reset
3) Drop him - suggest it's fair competition now and we will play the keeper that is in the best form.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm not usually critical of keepers at penalties, as the advantage is massively on the takers side. But everyone knew Deeney wasn't going to put it too far from the middle. Unfortunately we knew De Gea would go to his right, as he always does.

And that dive, even if Deeney goes that way, De Gea is not getting close to anything to his right. If you pick a side, commit to it and cover the distance. His feet are still in the middle of the goal!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He increasingly seems to lack concentration as if his mind is elsewhere.
Not sure about our goalkeeping coach but yet another player who has declined over the last few years.

UncleBob

Ok Zidane :lol:. The quality of your posts is rich, when you come here and try to tell people something opposite to the common knowledge about De Gea and penalties. You gave no information about how he is within the normal goalkeeper penalty save group.
The fact I chose the premier league because it is the main tournament he plays in and we have the statistics already there in their website about the penalty saving. He stopped 3 penalties from 25 in 8 years in the PL. Where did you come up with this 19%? did you include the ones he do in friendly matches? national team and the ones he did for Ateltico Madrid when he was 16 years old? or did you include the u17 tournaments? If that is your case, then we know you have no good argument.

The fact is
De Gea's last penalty save for united in the PL was more than 5 years ago.
De Gea's penalty save percentage in the PL in the last 5 years is 0%.

Embrace the fact.
Thanks for strengthening my point about your posts.

In terms of the "normal goalkeeper penalty save group", whatever you've imagined that to be, I've listed the stats for Kepa, Alisson, Ederson, Schmeichel and Leno.

He only has one U21 save, the rest are La Liga, CL, PL and the FA cup, so if you want to remove the penalties at lower levels it'll only improve the save % as they were all goals (I just naturally assumed you didn't). Cherrypicking stats makes it difficult to compare, there's no reason to exclude the biggest tournaments in the world just because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Let me get the usual accusations out of the way by making clear that this is not a personal vendetta against the player, he seems like a good professional and a decent person, this is purely about about the game of football.
It's not his fault that he's been massively overhyped by our fans and the mainstream media alike.

This mess with De Gea pretty much sums up the club at the moment, anyone with even an ounce of footballing knowledge could see this coming a mile off.
Unfortunately, the most important people in this instance, our board, clearly don't possess that ounce of knowledge.
People are comparing the decision to give De Gea a new contract to the Sanchez saga, in my opinion, this is worse, because nobody could have predicted Sanchez's sudden decline whereas De Gea's decline was far from sudden.
An entire year and a half of horrendous form is not a 'blip'.

I personally have never ever got the hype about the player.
It was a bizarre signing in the first place I thought, it's not as if he was playing really well in Spain, he'd just come off the back of conceding over 53 goals in the league for Atletico Madrid.
"He's not cut out for the physicality of the premier league, no matter how good a shot stopper he is" I thought when I first watched him, hoping I was wrong because I'm no expert.
Based on his first season, I was not wrong unfortunately.

Yes, he improved slightly the second year, but those that think we won the league because of a solid defence that year need to go back and check the stats, because we conceded over 40 league goals.
Luckily we had world class forwards to compensate back then, we don't now, but that weakness is still there and still needs fixing.
To be clear, it's pretty obvious De Gea is not the only problem, we have many others, but we need to stop skipping over the goalkeeping position like it's all sorted because of a new contract, it's not, far from it.

For me, despite being a world class shot stopper (at times) he has always been so under par at the other equally important aspects of goalkeeping to be considered anywhere near the best in the world.
It's actually baffled me for years how many people, including those paid fortunes to analyse the game, constantly overlook these other flaws and proclaim De Gea as one of the greatest ever.
My only conclusion is that we are now living in the 'YouTube clips' generation where most people don't actually sit and watch full games as much.
In these situations, it's easier for a highlight reel of good saves to mask over more technical sides of the game.
Fair enough, people have less time, I don't watch as many games as I used to either, apart from Utd matches, which I always make an effort to watch (as painful as it is right now).
As I said, anyone who knows even a little about the game and regularly watched Utd over the years will surely have noted the amount of goals we have conceded as a direct result of De Gea's inability to come out off his line and command HIS box.
It's not as if the recent goals conceded against Everton and Man City are one offs, this has been happening week in week out since the day he signed for the club, he may as well not be there when a cross comes in.
Another problem for us when it comes to stats etc., is that goals like the ones conceded against City/Everton don't necessarily get recorded as a direct goalkeeping error because you have to look a bit deeper than the clearly obvious recent blunder against Watford, to notice it.
My point being, there has been literally dozens of goals over the years we've conceded like that but yet they don't get recorded as goalkeeping errors.
As I said, when this is factored in, it really is truly baffling to me how De Gea is put up on a pedestal as one of the greatest keepers ever, and our saviour the past decade.

On that note of him being our 'saviour', what did we/he actually achieve in this time?
Is anyone really that bothered about finishing 6th instead of 10th?
So these 4/5 seasons when he was our talisman, our player of the year and saviour (apparantley)
What exactly did we achieve apart from mediocrity?
Is that his level then?
The biggest thing we did do in this era was win the Europa lg (and more importantly claim a champions league place because of it) and he had no part in that at all, Romero played.
Even during the David Moyes era, he let us down at the most crucial moment with a horrific mistake against Sunderland in the league Cup semi final, we were seconds away from the final and he gifted Phil Bardsley an equaliser with an absolute howler.
I personally don't care that much about the league Cup and I'm not for one second suggesting that this was the sole reason David Moyes failed, but still, we would have played Man City in the final and who knows what could have happened.
It certainly would have been a huge moment for David Moyes, having never won a trophy, but De Gea denied him that by bottling it when it mattered.
You can throw in pretty much his entire Spain career as another elite level failure (difference being they had the brains to address the situation).

The last year, under Solskjaer, was the first time in a long time that we were gathering any momentum and doing it by playing good attacking football, but both in the last two games, and last year when our unbeaten run ended at Arsenal, that momentum has been killed as a direct result of poor goalkeeping by De Gea.
Those mistakes were a massive reason we didn't qualify for the champions league last year and are a massive reason we are not just two points behind 4th place Chelsea right now (all momentum to put pressure on them after their blip is completely gone now).
We can't afford another five years of this.

It's now or never for me, if we want to give ourselves the best chance of getting back to where we should be then I'm sorry but De Gea needs to be replaced now.
Obviously realising this in the summer (as many of us did) would have been much better and we would have saved ourselves quite a few quid, but what's done is done, it can't be changed now, we'll just have to take the financial hit, in many ways we deserve it for being so shortsighted.

In reality, I know this isn't going to happen, I can see what's actually going to happen coming a mile off.
We'll stick with him and then the next time he makes even a half decent save, that save will be replayed all over the media as if it's some sort of proof that the doubters/haters were wrong.
Fast forward a few weeks and when it really matters again, hell make another 'uncharacteristic' blunder that 'you just don't see from top keepers like De Gea'.
It's the same cycle that's been happening for ten years.
If indeed, this situation continues and we continue to not even attempt to fix it, then we deserve all the mid-table mediocrity we get.

Happy Christmas fellow Red Devils.

Last edited:

Ole90+3

Let me get the usual accusations out of the way by making clear that this is not a personal vendetta against the player, he seems like a good professional and a decent person, this is purely about about the game of football.
It's not his fault that he's been massively overhyped by our fans and the mainstream media alike.

This mess with De Gea pretty much sums up the club at the moment, anyone with even an ounce of footballing knowledge could see this coming a mile off.
Unfortunately, the most important people in this instance, our board, clearly don't possess that ounce of knowledge.
People are comparing the decision to give De Gea a new contract to the Sanchez saga, in my opinion, this is worse, because nobody could have predicted Sanchez's sudden decline whereas De Gea's decline was far from sudden.

It was a bizarre signing in the first place I thought, it's not as if he was playing really well in Spain, he'd just come off the back of conceding over 53 goals in the league for Atletico Madrid.
"He's not cut out for the physicality of the premier league, no matter how good a shot stopper he is" I thought when I first watched him, hoping I was wrong because I'm no expert.

Yes, he improved slightly the second year, but those that think we won the league because of a solid defence that year need to go back and check the stats, because we conceded over 40 league goals.
Luckily we had world class forwards to compensate back then, we don't now, but that weakness is still there and still needs fixing.
To be clear, it's pretty obvious De Gea is not the only problem, we have many others, but we need to stop skipping over the goalkeeping position like it's all sorted because of a new contract, it's not, far from it.

For me, despite being a world class shot stopper (at times) he has always been so under par at the other equally important aspects of goalkeeping to be considered anywhere near the best in the world.
It's actually baffled me for years how many people, including those paid fortunes to analyse the game, constantly overlook these other flaws and proclaim De Gea as one of the greatest ever.
My only conclusion is that we are now living in the 'YouTube clips' generation where most people don't actually sit and watch full games as much.
Fair enough, people have less time, I don't watch as many games as I used to either, apart from Utd matches, which I always make an effort to watch (as painful as it is right now).
As I said, anyone who knows even a little about the game and regularly watched Utd over the years will surely have noted the amount of goals we have conceded as a direct result of De Gea's inability to come out off his line and command HIS box.
It's not as if the recent goals conceded against Everton and Man City are one offs, this has been happening week in week out since the day he signed for the club, he may as well not be there when a cross comes in.
Another problem for us when it comes to stats etc., is that goals like the ones conceded against City/Everton don't necessarily get recorded as a direct goalkeeping error because, you have to look a bit deeper than the clearly obvious recent blunder against Watford, to notice it.
My point being, there has been literally dozens of goals over the years we've concede like that but yet they don't get recorded as goalkeeping errors.
As I said, when this is factored in, it really is truly baffling to me how De Gea is put up on a pedestal as one of the greatest keepers ever, and our saviour the past decade.

On that note of him being our 'saviour', what did we/he actually achieve in this time?
So these 4/5 seasons when he was our talisman, our player of the year and saviour (apparantley)
Is that his level then?
The biggest thing we did do in this era was win the Europa lg (and more importantly claim a champions league place because of it) and he had no part in that at all, Romero played.
Even during the David Moyes era, he let us down at the most crucial moment with a horrific mistake against Sunderland in the league Cup semi final, we were seconds away from the final and he gifted Phil Bardsley an equaliser with an absolute howler.
I personally don't care that much about the league Cup and I'm not for one second suggesting that this was the sole reason David Moyes failed, but still, we would have played Man City in the final and who knows what could have happened.
It certainly would have been a huge moment for David Moyes, having never won a trophy, but De Gea denied him that by bottling it when it mattered.
You can throw in pretty much his entire Spain career as another elite level failure (difference being they had the brains to do address the situation).

The last year, under Solskjaer, was the first time in a long time that we were gathering any momentum and doing it by playing good attacking football, but both in the last two games, and last year when our unbeaten run ended at Arsenal, that momentum has been killed as a direct result of poor goalkeeping by De Gea.
Those mistakes were a massive reason we didn't qualify for the champions league last year and are a massive reason we are not just two points behind 4th place Chelsea right now (all momentum to put pressure on them after their blip is completely gone now).

It's now or never for me, if we want to give ourselves the best chance of getting back to where we should be then I'm sorry but De Gea needs to be replaced now.
Obviously realising this in the summer (as many of us did) would have been much better and we would have saved ourselves quite a few quid, but what's done is done, it can't be changed now, we'll just have to take the financial hit, in many ways we deserve it for being so shortsighted.

In reality, I know this isn't going to happen, I can see what's actually going to happen coming a mile off.
We'll stick with him and then the next time he makes even a half decent save, that save will be replayed all over the media as if it's some sort of proof that the doubters/haters were wrong.
Fast forward a few weeks and when it really matters again, hell make another 'uncharacteristic' blunder that 'you just don't see from top keepers like De Gea'.
If indeed, this situation continues and we continue to not even attempt to fix it, then we deserve all the mid-table mediocrity we get.

There was a good few years where DDG was the best shot stopper in the world, or at the very least in the top 2; I don't think anyone can really argue with that. I agree that he's always had deficiencies in other aspects of goalkeeping which, for me, has held him back from surpassing Schmeichel as the best ever here.

It was very much predictable once DDG reached his 30s the reactions would slow down impacting his shot stopping. I don't even think that's what the issue is right now causing his recent goal resulting mistakes, I think he's lost a lot of his confidence, and potentially isn't fully committed to the club anymore.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

In terms of the "normal goalkeeper penalty save group", whatever you've imagined that to be, I've listed the stats for Kepa, Alisson, Ederson, Schmeichel and Leno.

He only has one U21 save, the rest are La Liga, CL, PL and the FA cup, so if you want to remove the penalties at lower levels it'll only improve the save % as they were all goals (I just naturally assumed you didn't). Cherrypicking stats makes it difficult to compare, there's no reason to exclude the biggest tournaments in the world just because it doesn't fit your agenda.
The strange thing is the spread of saved penalties - half of his senior career saves came during his Atletico days, when his penalty record was very good. So you can point to the decent overall percentage, while others can point to the quite bad record since he joined United more than eight years ago.

Lentwood

We’ve done what we’ve traditionally done at United for years now - buried our heads in the sand and made excuses

- confidence low after World Cup
- distracted by contract talk

Wayne Rooney

- played out of position
- too deep
- too selfless
- needs to play #8/#9/#10
- needs pace around him

Sanchez

- mismanaged by Wenger
- trying to force move
- no pre season
- injuries
- out of position

You would have thought our fans would wake up and realise you might be able to excuse one or two bad performances but anything longer than a month or two without a decent performance should be considered a decline

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We’ve done what we’ve traditionally done at United for years now - buried our heads in the sand and made excuses

- confidence low after World Cup
- distracted by contract talk

Wayne Rooney

- played out of position
- too deep
- too selfless
- needs to play #8/#9/#10
- needs pace around him

Sanchez

- mismanaged by Wenger
- trying to force move
- no pre season
- injuries
- out of position

You would have thought our fans would wake up and realise you might be able to excuse one or two bad performances but anything longer than a month or two without a decent performance should be considered a decline
1) He's had decent performances in the last month or two.

2) The amount of players this criteria would have condemned to early decline is beyond reckoning.

Giggsyking

The strange thing is the spread of saved penalties - half of his senior career saves came during his Atletico days, when his penalty record was very good. So you can point to the decent overall percentage, while others can point to the quite bad record since he joined United more than eight years ago.
Thank you. But he chose to include friendly matches and games with atletico 12 years ago, while he ignores the fact that De Gea has not made a penalty save in the PL for over 5 years.

Giggsyking

Including his stats when he was at atletico! it looks like you who is trying to make it suit your agenda.

Giggsyking

Another problem for us when it comes to stats etc., is that goals like the ones conceded against City/Everton don't necessarily get recorded as a direct goalkeeping error because, you have to look a bit deeper than the clearly obvious recent blunder against Watford, to notice it.
My point being, there has been literally dozens of goals over the years we've concede like that but yet they don't get recorded as goalkeeping errors.

Is that his level then?
You can throw in pretty much his entire Spain career as another elite level failure (difference being they had the brains to do address the situation).

Great post

C'est Moi Cantona

Must be hard to stay motivated for the guy, he's mainly had rubbish in front of him for years now, has propped us up for a long time from having even worse seasons, has made it clear he wants out, yet has been blocked from doing this, and now he has long term on contract on crazy money to sit back on, with very little hope in sight that we are going to get back to the top in this timeframe, or anyone will ever want to buy him now.

I think I'd take my eye off things in similar circumstances, if he's still a top player he needs challenging and motivating, he must be just bored with what we've become.

Stadjer

Must be hard to stay motivated for the guy, he's mainly had rubbish in front of him for years now, has propped us up for a long time from having even worse seasons, has made it clear he wants out, yet has been blocked from doing this, and now he has long term on contract on crazy money to sit back on, with very little hope in sight that we are going to get back to the top in this timeframe, or anyone will ever want to buy him now.

I think I'd take my eye off things in similar circumstances, if he's still a top player he needs challenging and motivating, he must be just bored with what we've become.
Bored or depressed... imagine that you were a important player in a SAF team and being in the situation he is in now. Im glad he did stay at the club and i also understand he asked for a lot of money. He could have won so much more if he had gone to Madrid for example... looking from his perspective you could even argue he wasted his time at Manchester United. He was the best goalkeeper in the world for some time but what does he have to show for that time? A Fa Cup and Europea Leaugue?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I fully believe that if we gave Dean Henderson a chance this season and spent the money we wasted on Maguire for our midfield and CAM position, we would be easily in the top 4. De Gea has shown absolutely nothing to warrant being the highest payed GK in the world, another total waste of resources.
Or had we sold De Gea when he actually had some value and big clubs were looking for a keeper, we could have Maguire and a midfielder. Now there's no way anyone will buy De Gea with the contract he's on...

R'hllor

I usually avoid talking about this wuss, ever since fax machine fiasco but its amazing to see the level of Dory, when people talking shit about DDG. I get people being hot headed and annoyed right now but years ago, he was called a God, how many seasons he was earning us points on his own etc.

C'est Moi Cantona

Bored or depressed... imagine that you were a important player in a SAF team and being in the situation he is in now. Im glad he did stay at the club and i also understand he asked for a lot of money. He could have won so much more if he had gone to Madrid for example... looking from his perspective you could even argue he wasted his time at Manchester United. He was the best goalkeeper in the world for some time but what does he have to show for that time? A Fa Cup and Europea Leaugue?
Of course he's wasted his time here, I bet he wishes everyday that Ed wasn't so keen at playing the big man, and let him have that transfer to Madrid, unquestionably we'd have been poorer for it, but DDG would have had a stellar career if he'd moved.

But to be fair to him he used it as motivation, and became as good as he did, we maybe now have to stand by him whilst he comes back down again, because he isn't going anywhere, and I doubt he'll ever be dropped.

Catania

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
Catania

Then he most have problem motivating himself for the Spanish NT to as hes NT performers been everything but world class.

manc4red

I agree with the point that he is lacking motivation. He wanted to leave and join teams that would compete for trophies. Unfortunately that did not materialize and now with this new contract that pretty much captures the rest of his great playing years. He realizes he is stuck here in a team that will probably not compete for trophies in the short term

Ive heard of this saying before

Great players seek to win trophies
The rest of the players seek to make $

I think DDG was definitely in the great player category but his mindset is firmly into padding his bank account as he is in a long term contract with Manutd now

UncleBob

Including his stats when he was at atletico! it looks like you who is trying to make it suit your agenda.
What would be the point in excluding penalty stats from La Liga ?

Last season we let in 54 goals in the league, 6 of those were penalties and only one of them cost us points (Brighton). The season before that we conceded 2 penalties, one in the league and one in the fa cup. Since De Gea arrived, on average he's been in goal for 4 pens each season, 3 on average if you only count the PL (which you seem to be a big fan of). If you reckon he should be saving 25%, which is quite high given the average amount of scored pens, he should've saved 6 instead of the 3 he has.

The focus vs effect/consequence is somewhat mental.But hey, stupid is stupid does.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
De Gea is 2nd last in the league in high claims with only 6 so far this season and he is 2nd last in punches with only 2.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_high_claim?se=274

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/punches?se=274

He is also only 12th in saves with 51

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/punches?se=274

De Gea is also at the top for errors that have lead to goals. This doesn't include goals scored where he just hasn't come off his line to clear a cross (see the City goal). I have been saying for ages that he shouldn't be our #1 and that we should have sold him ages ago. Now nobody would buy him and we are more than likely stuck with him. As a former keeper myself, it wasn't hard to see. Obviously I was never even close to the level that he is at, but it has been easy to see that he struggles with the basics of the game. I'm not just talking about commanding his 6 yard box. His positioning is terrible as well. In the past his poor positioning was made up for by his amazing agility. But even that is starting to fade. Last year against Barcelona Messi scored a goal (not that one that he let slip through his hands) that in the past he would have saved. Messi cut in from the right and hit a hard low shot that went in off the post. A couple of years ago De Gea would have saved it. But he's lost a tiny bit of spring that kept him from saving it and his lack of "brilliance at the basics" cost us on that goal. If he was in good position he would have been cheating to his right as that was the only place Messi had space to shoot the ball. But when Messi shot it, De Gea was in the middle of his goal. Go to around 1:20 on this video. You can see that Messi is blocked from shooting near post. He can only go far post. If De Gea is brilliant at the basics and not just depending on his agility, he would have easily saved that goal and I believe Romero would have saved it as well..

TrustInOle

Insane reaction speed in term of shot stopping, but nothing to shout about with anything else. No area command, land the ball in the 6 yard box and your almost always guaranteed chaos. Terrible punching, loose ball collection, average to decent with the ball at his feet and now it seems his concentration has just gone AWOL. Have a huge place in my heart for David, but I think his best are behind, what he lacks, I don't see changing anytime soon. Still quality on his day, but like virtually all our squad, he lacks the consistency which I guess is a consequence of his previous high standards.

Happy to keep him for next season and maybe another, while monitoring Henderson's development. Best GK in the championship last year and right up there again with Sheffield this season.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
His style of keeper was always gonna decline early. People should appreciate vds more who played in a cl final at 40 was it ?
Didnt have the reactions de gea does but had the control of a back 4 the communication and concentration needed to be at a high level for longer.
It was said many a time the second his reflexes declined hed struggle ala casillas.

UncleBob

His style of keeper was always gonna decline early. People should appreciate vds more who played in a cl final at 40 was it ?
Didnt have the reactions de gea does but had the control of a back 4 the communication and concentration needed to be at a high level for longer.
It was said many a time the second his reflexes declined hed struggle ala casillas.
Rio controlled the back 4, without him it was chaos. The notion of goalkeepers controlling the back 4 at this level is pure fecking stupidity

Jacob

Bored of him, been here too long and lacks character. I've been insisting that DDG is a far bigger liability than we think he is. His insecurities spread to his defence and causes hesitation. I miss the VDS days, a proper commanding GK.

Jacob

Rio controlled the back 4, without him it was chaos. The notion of goalkeepers controlling the back 4 at this level is pure fecking stupidity
Don't call people stupid cause they don't agree with you. I think command of area is still very relevant at any level. Rio and Vida knew what balls they should go for and not. With DDG you never know if he's going for it. Not even himself apparently.

UncleBob

Don't call people stupid cause they don't agree with you. I think command of area is still very relevant at any level. Rio and Vida knew what balls they should go for and not. With DDG you never know if he's going for it. Not even himself apparently.
He didn't say "command of the area", he said "control of a back 4".

Two very different things.

Ace

He’s the absolute least of our concerns. If he was between the posts for Liverpool they would still be top of the league, likely on the same amount of points. If our players were more efficient and less wasteful in front of goal, his mistakes wouldn’t be as magnified. He’s still a superior option to Romero, so he’s still in the lineup each week.

We can reassess at the end of the year with Henderson returning from loan as someone likely to challenge the number one spot. Either way, our goalkeeping position is sorted out for the near future.

Concentration should be placed on improving our efficiency in front of goal and reducing the amount of corners and dangerous free kicks in our defensive third.

Giggsyking

Why are you so disrespectful uncleBob,? insulting other posters will not make your point valid! Chillax.

berbasloth4

I think the reason for his bad form is due to the fact he basically thinks he is undroppable. All of us in all ways of life if we think our job is safe we naturally drop the work ethic etc.

Drop him over xmas play romero who would start for 75% of the teams in the premiership and make De Gea re earn his place in cup cs wolves.

And the call to bring back Henderson? why when romero is better and proven world class?

manc4red

He’s the absolute least of our concerns. If he was between the posts for Liverpool they would still be top of the league, likely on the same amount of points. If our players were more efficient and less wasteful in front of goal, his mistakes wouldn’t be as magnified. He’s still a superior option to Romero, so he’s still in the lineup each week.

We can reassess at the end of the year with Henderson returning from loan as someone likely to challenge the number one spot. Either way, our goalkeeping position is sorted out for the near future.

Concentration should be placed on improving our efficiency in front of goal and reducing the amount of corners and dangerous free kicks in our defensive third.
Disagree with this fully

Liverpool spent huge money on a keeper with good legs. Their keeper plays alot of balls out from the back and starts many counter attacks. Allison is able to ping a perfect pass like 60 yrs out

That part of the game DDG is never good at. His distribution is poor and many many members have mentioned this in the past. Liverpool had a traditional shot stopper in mignolet that klopp consistently tried to get rid of. He wanted a keeper that can play from the back

i cant see DDG do well in either liverpool nor Mancity. They rely on their keepers to move the ball. Something DDG doesnt do

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
He didn't say "command of the area", he said "control of a back 4".

Two very different things.
Yeah and i meant what i said.
Vds was in constant communication with his back 4. Rio even said this that the keeper can see the whole pitch and his organisation is key.
On top of that he also had a far better command of his area to as opposed to de gea who is rooted to his line.
Whats pure stupidity is denying this.

UncleBob

Yeah and i meant what i said.
Vds was in constant communication with his back 4. Rio even said this that the keeper can see the whole pitch and his organisation is key.
On top of that he also had a far better command of his area to as opposed to de gea who is rooted to his line.
Whats pure stupidity is denying this.
Link.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

What are you using to make the claim that De Gea is still a superior option to Romero? The only thing that I see that you can make that claim on is the fact that he starts 80% of our games. If that's the only stat we use then we might as well be saying that Lingard too deserves to start as often as he does. However, if we look at the stats, Romero has 5 clean sheets in 7 starts, meanwhile De Gea has 3 clean sheets in 19 starts. If starting positions are earned, then surely De Gea has shown enough over the past couple years that it's time for him to have a rest while Romero has proven that he's due his shot to prove himself...

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Has been shit since he fecked up for Spain.

He is still capable of amazing saves but there is so much more he should be better at.

Status
Not open for further replies.