Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viral United

Its look like he past it, or just didn't bother enough.
The save he made today looks routine save that every keeper should make.

Devil may care

Yes, he was good bar that tiny little error. Jesus.
I just saw some of your other posts, when you evoke the name of that fecktard Trump to try and get a reaction I am not sure it's worth it, but here goes, players make mistakes, he also made a save that got us at least a point, he's lost a step I think most of us would agree, but given the amount of money we need to spend elsewhere and given he is still young for a keeper, it seems madness to see some of the stuff I am seeing today.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I just saw some of your other posts, when you evoke the name of that fecktard Trump to try and get a reaction I am not sure it's worth it, but here goes, players make mistakes, he also made a save that got us at least a point, he's lost a step I think most of us would agree, but given the amount of money we need to spend elsewhere and given he is still young for a keeper, it seems madness to see some of the stuff I am seeing today.
Had a look myself, he's getting on like a condescending twat.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don't you think it would be better to move him on if possible and have even more money to invest into the team by making Henderson #1?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Yes, nobody is arguing against that, but surely it's only logical that those who succeed at the top level are the ones who make the fewest mistakes.

De Gea is making more blunders than any other keeper in the league now, fact, so surely logic dictates that he doesn't deserve to be playing at the moment, never mind be the highest paid player in the Premier league.

It's getting beyond a joke now.

Ace of Spades

He makes some great saves now and again, but his mistakes are difficult to overlook. On top of that, he is so weak at crosses and dealing with high balls in the box. I wonder how many goals we have conceded from set pieces and corners. Does not help the defenders one bit with his reactionary style of play.

kundalini

Recovered well after his horrendous error for their goal.

Decent save from Calvert-Lewin soon after, though shot might have been going just wide (not sure). Decent punch in the 2nd half. Long throw started a counter attack. Good save late on.

Based on his performances since the World Cup, he's very fortunate to still be first choice keeper, though clearly he earned a lot of credit before then.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
An excellent post because you agree with it? Big Pete made mistakes but other facets of his game (his command of area and throwing ability to start attacks) made him a big part of our game. So even if he made similar error to this one (I recall one against Barnsley at home) he still was a massive use in our build up play and also still had world class shot stopping.

What does De Gea offer aside from his good shot stopping? Him making a great save doesn’t balance anything out as making the error that early changes the whole game plan.

Even without the error, DDG doesn’t do enough to justify his huge wages and the fact he’s been poor for over a year now means that he’s a big problem in the team.
An excellent post because it shows rationality in the midst of well, not much of it. Mistakes happen and it's amazing he went so long without making any. He needs to cut them down but he's still an excellent keeper. This whole not doing enough thing has been bigged up to back people's frankly odd hatred of him up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
An excellent post because it shows rationality in the midst of well, not much of it. Mistakes happen and it's amazing he went so long without making any. He needs to cut them down but he's still an excellent keeper. This whole not doing enough thing has been bigged up to back people's frankly odd hatred of him up.
He’s been making silly mistakes for over a year now. Isn’t he top of the mistakes stat?

And no, there’s no hatred it’s commenting on what we are seeing. Does he come off his line enough? No. Is his distribution good? No. Does he Install confidence in the back 4 and command his area? No.

His reflexes are still good but his complacency or whatever it is has lasted for too long now and it isn’t good enough. That’s not being irrational.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’s been making silly mistakes for over a year now. Isn’t he top of the mistakes stat?

And no, there’s no hatred it’s commenting on what we are seeing. Does he come off his line enough? No. Is his distribution good? No. Does he I still confidence in the back 4 and command his area? No.

His reflexes are still good but his complacency or whatever it is has lasted for too long now and it isn’t good enough. That’s not being irrational.
Like I said, he needs to cut down on mistakes. But the rest somehow only became an issue once people started hating on him again.
I'm not saying you're hating on him, the points you raise are fine, I just believe he's still a very good keeper.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
His good save didn't make up for his mistake.

He only did his job by making the save, that's what the club pays him for. It doesn't balance anything out at all.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yes, nobody is arguing against that, but surely it's only logical that those who succeed at the top level are the ones who make the fewest mistakes.

De Gea is making more blunders than any other keeper in the league now, fact, so surely logic dictates that he doesn't deserve to be playing at the moment, never mind be the highest paid player in the Premier league.

I agree. I want to be very careful what I say as I love and respect De Gea, but the terms we offered to keep him here were a mistake on our part, there's no doubt in mind about that. We're paying absolute premier wages for a less-than-premier overall package from De Gea, and any hopes we have of freshening up our goalkeeping department are hamstrung by the huge contract we threw together in desperation when we feared one of our few world class talents could leave.

I don't know what the best direction to take from here is, but I think we'd be in a better position now with Henderson on a fraction of De Gea's wages + Romero as our options.

Devil may care

Had a look myself, he's getting on like a condescending twat.
Whenever I see Trump useage I fear the worst, feels like a personal thing wtih De Gea.

Don't you think it would be better to move him on if possible and have even more money to invest into the team by making Henderson #1?
No, not right now, I don't think Henderson is ready to be the #1 here, the pressure is huge and I think sometimes people forget that, we have had seasoned pros come here and struggle with the spotlight, not many come in like Bruno has. I also think De Gea is a big figure in the squad, I'd be against throwing him aside before giving him more time to see how this rebuild progresses, I wouldn't make such a huge call before stablizing other major areas, it's not like he's messing up every week, more times than not we drop points because we fail to create or score, that's a near £200M problem that needs fixing first.

Sergio Ramos has been sent off 24 times, that would surely also be seen as a liability? Look, I am not denying he's not been at his best for at least a year now, but he wont be going anywhere in the near future IMO so this a moot point, we have so much else to fix, and like I said above, if you look at the points we drop most are down to issues at the other end of the pitch, we have to deal with one thing at a time, even Real Madrid are finding it hard to just go and hoover up quality all over the pitch, it has to be done in stages.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yes, fair enough, but what about the dozens of other mistakes over the past few seasons?

On balance, there is not a chance he deserves to be starting games for us, let alone, be the highest paid player in the Premier league.

I dont care how big a fan of his you are, if you can't see that by now then you're part of the problem.
Wtf? It was not my quote. How? Mods?
Although i agree with all that what was wrote in "my" post. I couldn't write it better :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
His good save didn't make up for his mistake.

He only did his job by making the save, that's what the club pays him for. It doesn't balance anything out at all.
It's different when it's a save many keepers wouldn't make though.

-Supreme-

Dea Gea was one of main reasons why we didn't get top 4 towards the final stages of last season, we seriously cannot allow him to keep fecking up when he is one of the most senior players in our squad and earns the most money

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's different when it's a save many keepers wouldn't make though.
I didn't see any of those today from De Gea, though I do think he did well at shot-stopping all day. The marks against him were poor commanding of the box, once again, and the terrible error.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Whenever I see Trump useage I fear the worst, feels like a personal thing wtih De Gea.

No, not right now, I don't think Henderson is ready to be the #1 here, the pressure is huge and I think sometimes people forget that, we have had seasoned pros come here and struggle with the spotlight, not many come in like Bruno has. I also think De Gea is a big figure in the squad, I'd be against throwing him aside before giving him more time to see how this rebuild progresses, I wouldn't make such a huge call before stablizing other major areas, it's not like he's messing up every week, more times than not we drop points because we fail to create or score, that's a near £200M problem that needs fixing first.

Sergio Ramos has been sent off 24 times, that would surely also be seen as a liability? Look, I am not denying he's not been at his best for at least a year now, but he wont be going anywhere in the near future IMO so this a moot point, we have so much else to fix, and like I said above, if you look at the points we drop most are down to issues at the other end of the pitch, we have to deal with one thing at a time, even Real Madrid are finding it hard to just go and hoover up quality all over the pitch, it has to be done in stages.
We have other things to fix so we simply just ignore this issue?

Im not trying to be argumentative but, seriously, what is the logic in that?

Why can't we try to fix both?

Paxi

100% agree with this. I don't think anyone is denying that he's not at his peak. I mean he was insanely good at one point but he's still least of our worries. Most teams would still snap your hand off for him. Is he the best in the world anymore? No, he's not but do we need him to be? We just need him to be good enough for Manchester United, which he is. People are getting on like he's the single source of all our problems, regarding conceding goals.
I agree with you that he isn't going anywhere for the time being so it's a moot point at the minute. If we can get Henderson back and let them compete for the first spot then I'm fine with that. Selling him on and letting a 22 year old fella come would be a massive gamble as you rightly pointed out that the pressure is massive here.

Kostov

What the feck was he thinking, absolutely moronic piece of play. He is making it an easy decision between him and Henderson for next season.

izec

There is a decision to be made between him and Henderson soon. In fact, Henderson is forcing it with his form and he wont play second fiddle to an inferior keeper, who gets special treatment due to his past form. That is why we cant wait another 5 years to decide what to do and fix the other issues.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I think Henderson has done enough to be given a chance now. I'm also not sure how big of a personality De Gea is in the dressing room but it's hard to look past his non existent attributes like 'command of area' which for me is very important for a keeper playing for a big club. Also Henderson IMO will only enhance the dressing room camaraderie in this regard. Henderson also is noticeably braver and actually attempts to help the CBs aerially rather than stay scared rooted to his spot.

Henderson would suit us better going forward for the above reasons and I feel the correct move would be to move De Gea on and free up the large wage he's on so we can make a push for the required outfield signings.

Hambley

The biggest misconception is that the team need top goalkeeper on the line to be successful and winning trophies. But the reality is that an average goalkeeper on the line and penalty saver is quite enough to achieve anything in football as a team. Apparently, GK is not the most important position in the team and that's why we should have never been trying to keep DDG so desperately. David has never delivered more then playing on the line and now he's regressing in what he used to be the best.

Extension of his contract was a mistake. We shouldn't have raised his wages and induldged his money greed. The club showed that the player is more then the club itself. And this is the consequence of stupid decision making.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
100% agree with this. I don't think anyone is denying that he's not at his peak. I mean he was insanely good at one point but he's still least of our worries. Most teams would still snap your hand off for him. Is he the best in the world anymore? No, he's not but do we need him to be? We just need him to be good enough for Manchester United, which he is. People are getting on like he's the single source of all our problems, regarding conceding goals.
I agree with you that he isn't going anywhere for the time being so it's a moot point at the minute. If we can get Henderson back and let them compete for the first spot then I'm fine with that. Selling him on and letting a 22 year old fella come would be a massive gamble as you rightly pointed out that the pressure is massive here.
It's delusion like this that's part of the problem, not a chance.
He got out voted by 92:8 by the Spanish public to be replaced by Kepa for f*cks sake, and his form has got even worse since that (incidentally so has Kepas.)

MadMike

Terrible mistake, but he was really good for the rest of the game. The save from DCL immediately afterwards and that save at the end in particular were sublime

Bwuk

Wouldn’t have an issue with him going this summer and Henderson replacing him tbh.

Paxi

It's delusion like this that's part of the problem, not a chance.
He got out voted by 92:8 by the Spanish public to be replaced by Kepa for f*cks sake, and his form has got even worse since that (incidentally so has Kepas.)
And what? You think if we said to Sheffield United that we'll take Henderson but you can have De Gea as replacement they'd complain? You think if we offered De Gea to Everton fans they'd not replace Pickford? Apart from Allison and Ederson he starts for every team in the pl.

Devil may care

We have other things to fix so we simply just ignore this issue?

Im not trying to be argumentative but, seriously, what is the logic in that?

Why can't we try to fix both?
We are talking about a club that took years to fix our RB issue, who waited years to do anything about midfield and it still isn't fixed, and that hasn't even got an actual Right winger at the club even though our last actual RW moved to fullback 7 years ago.

My point is we move slow and De Gea isn't costing us week after week the way that is being made out, his form could return, or he might need replacing in a season or two, but IMO it's not a priority right now with so much else to do in a summer that also has an international tournemant.

That's the the thing that puzzles me, he's throwing in more clangers than he used to but he's not been on my mind after most games as the source of our problems, I mean his distribution has never been great but we've only just started to even see our outfield players look cohesive, so to me we need to walk before we run and binning De Gea this summer would be the latter.

I agree on the bolded part in particular, this is exactly what we need to do, if De Gea makes errors then Henderson should get actual PL games if he performs in the cup games he gets, then we can evaluate rather than get rid of a good keeper without even knowing if the kid can cut it as a United keeper.

I think Henderson has done enough to be given a chance now. I'm also not sure how big of a personality De Gea is in the dressing room but it's hard to look past his non existent attributes like 'command of area' which for me is very important for a keeper playing for a big club. Also Henderson IMO will only enhance the dressing room camaraderie in this regard. Henderson also is noticeably braver and actually attempts to help the CBs aerially rather than stay scared rooted to his spot.

Henderson would suit us better going forward for the above reasons and I feel the correct move would be to move De Gea on and free up the large wage he's on so we can make a push for the required outfield signings.
I think De Gea is highly respected and has seniority here, some might also say he's stuck with us in barren times but we know he was all but gone had it not been for Faxgate.

Like I said above mate, I'd have no issue with bringing Henderson back and giving him games and a chance to take the spot, like we did with Williams, but I think ditching De Gea for a keeper that has never had to perform for United with that pressure would be a mistake, let them compete next season and evaluate things at the end of the season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We are talking about a club that took years to fix our RB issue, who waited years to do anything about midfield and it still isn't fixed, and that hasn't even got an actual Right winger at the club even though our last actual RW moved to fullback 7 years ago.

My point is we move slow and De Gea isn't costing us week after week the way that is being made out, his form could return, or he might need replacing in a season or two, but IMO it's not a priority right now with so much else to do in a summer that also has an international tournemant.

That's the the thing that puzzles me, he's throwing in more clangers than he used to but he's not been on my mind after most games as the source of our problems, I mean his distribution has never been great but we've only just started to even see our outfield players look cohesive, so to me we need to walk before we run and binning De Gea this summer would be the latter.

I agree on the bolded part in particular, this is exactly what we need to do, if De Gea makes errors then Henderson should get actual PL games if he performs in the cup games he gets, then we can evaluate rather than get rid of a good keeper without even knowing if the kid can cut it as a United keeper.

I think De Gea is highly respected and has seniority here, some might also say he's stuck with us in barren times but we know he was all but gone had it not been for Faxgate.

Like I said above mate, I'd have no issue with bringing Henderson back and giving him games and a chance to take the spot, like we did with Williams, but I think ditching De Gea for a keeper that has never had to perform for United with that pressure would be a mistake, let them compete next season and evaluate things at the end of the season.
That's fair enough mate. You know I'm not gonna argue with you..:D

Cambion

His distribution is terrible, what was he messing around at? He is often as not giving it anyway, just get on with it

Status
Not open for further replies.