Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sugar_kane

His interview in The Athletic this week was very telling, basically just quite dismissive of the idea of there being gaps in his game.

I’m always a bit suspicious of the players who are quick to get in front of the cameras after a bad game and say how we weren’t good enough etc. Feels like a bit of a deflection technique, even if it isn’t intentional. De Gea seems to be one of those guys.

JB7

His interview in The Athletic this week was very telling, basically just quite dismissive of the idea of there being gaps in his game.

I’m always a bit suspicious of the players who are quick to get in front of the cameras after a bad game and say how we weren’t good enough etc. Feels like a bit of a deflection technique, even if it isn’t intentional. De Gea seems to be one of those guys.
It was astonishing at times last season, he was coming out and hammering the defence without appearing to understand that he was a part of that defence and contributing no assistance to them whatsoever. The attitude of the guy defies belief.

Mmm-Qatarian

I think De Gea might be one of the players that United decide to replace next season. I've said this many times now but if Henderson flourishes at Forest he may well get another shot at being our number one keeper.

Dave will always have a special place in the club's history but he is a line keeper and, in my view, he always will be a line keeper. Even when his shot-stopping reaches its incredible peak, that still causes huge issues for the side and that isn't likely to change under Erik ten Hag.

Trequartistry

Nah mate, if waking up means I will start being a coward like the hate squad, I am good. Anyone thinking that last goal is on Dea Gea might need to watch more football.
Not sure if this is a troll, or De Gea himself. It happens every single time with de Gea. Twice in the game alone today. Every other cross he just doesn’t leave his line and forces the defender to head the ball when for all other teams you’ll see their keeper proactively leave their line and save the defender a job.

I really fear for Martinez now playing in front of de Gea, just another defender added to the list of defenders constantly let down by de gea

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

In fairness until recent years he barely did interviews at all. It's not like having to speak to the media after a loss is a privilege they're all vying for, it's just something senior players are expected to do. I'm very sure he'd rather not.

mikeyt

I've said it before, when we sell De Gea and sign a keeper competent with the ball at his feet and able to deal with high balls we instantly become a better collective defence. People still blinded by the fact he is a good shot stopper, he is, but he's poor and has never improved in key areas.

Welbeckham

I've said it before, when we sell De Gea and sign a keeper competent with the ball at his feet and able to deal with high balls we instantly become a better collective defence. People still blinded by the fact he is a good shot stopper, he is, but he's poor and has never improved in key areas.
This has been painfully obvious for at least 4 years, but people don’t really have the level of football understanding to realize how much of a liability he is. And sadly that is not only football fans, but people at the club too.

De Gea is too shy and soft to be a top keeper or a winner. He is the opposite of brave and commanding and his distribution is average at best. And his understanding of the game is not on the same level as the likes of Neuer and Alisson.

It’s no coincidence that all the defenders who’ve played with him look better with their new clubs or national teams. His passive style puts defenders in awkward situations when he doesn’t come out for crosses or through balls or doesn’t want to receive the ball when in possession. Even a simple hoof ball behind our defence line often leads to a dangerous situation because the GK doesn’t do any favours to his team mates.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think we'll part ways with him next summer, personally I would like for Mike maignan to replace him but unless ac millan end up in a dire situation financially it would be unlikely.

We may need to go for inexperienced prospects to replace him .

The Purley King

That last minute goal today should send shockwaves through to ETH.
Classic De gea goal to give away.
I guarantee that 19 out of the other 20 goalies in the league don’t let that happen .
But we are apparently fine with it.
Beggars belief.

Sylar

It reminds me of Chelsea with Kepa.
They didn't even have to sign a world class keeper, just one that's is decent in most areas and all of a sudden there defence looked better. And then on top of that getting a better coach (going from lampard to tuchel) just made them defensively good.

On top of that, you look at:
Liverpool replaced mignolet with Allison (via karius)
City replaced Hart with ederson (via bravo)

I'd love a goalkeeper that is progressive but even before that, just having a keeper that can command his box, his defence and can organise instantly improves us. Ddg is great reflex keeper but the other basics he's not even average

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My memory is very clear, hence the bit that you bolder saying “once he got back in”. Maybe your selective reading didn’t help though.

As an all round goalkeeper De Gea is easily clear of Henderson. This isn’t even a particularly glowing endorsement of De Gea either, Romero (who I loved) was massively flawed and Henderson is a mid table keeper at very best. As evidenced by the England manager not touching him with a 100ft pole.
Romero was hardly flawed. We just looked for reasons why he shouldn't be our #1 because we couldn't upset De Gea. But the stats don't lie.

---------------------------Games--------------------Goals----------------Clean Sheets
Europa-------------------28---------------------------18------------------------16
FA Cup-------------------17---------------------------5---------------------------13
EFL Cup-----------------9-----------------------------6---------------------------4
EPL------------------------7-----------------------------2---------------------------6

Total----------------------61----------------------------31------------------------39

So Romero averaged .5 goals against per game and had a clean sheet in 64% of his matches. I know that people are going to say "well he's playing in the easy matches". So let's look at Dave's stats in those easy games

---------------------------Games--------------------Goals----------------Clean Sheets
Europa-------------------29---------------------------36------------------------8
FA Cup-------------------22---------------------------23-------------------------5
EFL Cup-----------------14----------------------------16-------------------------6

Total----------------------65----------------------------75------------------------19

So in those same "easy games" Dave has allowed 1.15 GPG and has kept a clean sheet 29% of the time

Dave is quite possibly the greatest shot stopper I have ever seen. He has made saves that many can only dream of. But there is no doubt in my mind that even though he makes saves that Romero couldn't, we would concede less with him in goal. Romero proved this to be true and I wish Henderson had been given a real chance to see if he could as well. Not saying Henderson is/was the right answer, I just know that De Gea isn't and never has been...

Elcabron

I like big Dave but he is just not good enough, as others above have said, he is weak in every area apart from shot stopping/reflexes. We badly need a keeper who can command his area and who is reasonably competent with the ball at his feet.

DDG is one of the highest paid players in the world, not just as a keeper. We need to part ways when his contract expires next summer.

The Oracle

I've said it before and I will say it again, he lacks bravery!

A lot of supporters refuse to acknowledge the fact, but it is very apparent...

El Jefe

It's childish but holy shit this is appalling

I can't think if another word for this other than cowardice. It's not name calling if it's a true characterisation of a player.

Blood Mage

I'm happy for us to stick with him for this season, but I think next summer we will need to look for a new GK. I actually don't have an issue with his distribution (I think he's pretty underrated in this regard) it's his command of the penalty box and tendency to shit his pants on crosses and set pieces that I'm losing patience with.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
New system will expose him. 1 year left in his contract. I hope the board don't rush it and reward him another mega contract.
ETH should have the final say.
How about for once the board negotiate a new contract on lower terms for a player, especially as the current ones are vastly overpaid. Why do we seem to be offering pay rises as if its almost by default? Before anyone says its about loyalty, sure in a job that pays you 30k, a pay rise to 35k is deserved but when you're on 15-20 mill per year and you've been sub par, you shouldn't be offering these guys pay rises just for extending, no one else will be paying these sums for them.

RedDevilQuebecois

Romero was hardly flawed. We just looked for reasons why he shouldn't be our #1 because we couldn't upset De Gea. But the stats don't lie.

Europa-------------------28---------------------------18------------------------16
FA Cup-------------------17---------------------------5---------------------------13
EFL Cup-----------------9-----------------------------6---------------------------4
EPL------------------------7-----------------------------2---------------------------6

Total----------------------61----------------------------31------------------------39

So Romero averaged .5 goals against per game and had a clean sheet in 64% of his matches. I know that people are going to say "well he's playing in the easy matches". So let's look at Dave's stats in those easy games

Europa-------------------29---------------------------36------------------------8
FA Cup-------------------22---------------------------23-------------------------5
EFL Cup-----------------14----------------------------16-------------------------6

Total----------------------65----------------------------75------------------------19

So in those same "easy games" Dave has allowed 1.15 GPG and has kept a clean sheet 29% of the time

Dave is quite possibly the greatest shot stopper I have ever seen. He has made saves that many can only dream of. But there is no doubt in my mind that even though he makes saves that Romero couldn't, we would concede less with him in goal. Romero proved this to be true and I wish Henderson had been given a real chance to see if he could as well. Not saying Henderson is/was the right answer, I just know that De Gea isn't and never has been...
Wow. Having a basic statistics department would have told us to go with Romero and ditch Dave, and yet it would have been totally justified. Noticed that we are not into advanced stats yet.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I wasn't the least bit surprised by that equaliser we conceded. We've seen those kind of goals scored against us countless times these past few years. Guy just doesn't come out for crosses.

iamking

DDG weakness if for all to see. Its an open secret (for the love of god, he can't leave his line without folly) . He is here, because he is the best of the dirty lot. Getting another anything is more important than GK this season, so he is staying put..

Lyng

I thought we where supposed to believe in the manager and give the players a clean slate?
Guess that only applies for English lads?

Telsim

I'm happy for us to stick with him for this season, but I think next summer we will need to look for a new GK. I actually don't have an issue with his distribution (I think he's pretty underrated in this regard) it's his command of the penalty box and tendency to shit his pants on crosses and set pieces that I'm losing patience with.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Criminally underrated distribution!

And as a bonus:

humdinger

He’s just so soft and passive. No aggression or fight in him whatsoever. He didn’t even try for that goal.

JB7

I thought we where supposed to believe in the manager and give the players a clean slate?
Guess that only applies for English lads?
He’s been badly at fault for two goals in two games. There were virtually no comments in this thread after his abysmal goalkeeping against Palace but a couple of pages since yesterday which isn’t unusual given just how bad he was for the goal. As a comparison, Maguires performances thread is already at 22 pages, very few giving him a clean slate despite being fine in these 2 games. But yeah, all about the English players getting preferential treatment.

Lyng

He’s been badly at fault for two goals in two games. There were virtually no comments in this thread after his abysmal goalkeeping against Palace but a couple of pages since yesterday which isn’t unusual given just how bad he was for the goal. As a comparison, Maguires performances thread is already at 22 pages, very few giving him a clean slate despite being fine in these 2 games. But yeah, all about the English players getting preferential treatment.
Most of Maguire thread is people talking about how he has improved and how good he looked apart from the goal against Melbourne.
This thread is just a bunch of people shitting all over De Gea.

So yes it's all about that. Especially since the same people are now at it again how Hendo is suddenly fantastic.

Oranges038

Not sure why the pass to AWB is in there, but the rest...

350K for this.
He's never been dominant aerially in the box.

Ironically if he stayed on his line he would have caught that header quite easily. Quite clearly he hasn't the want or the physical strength to come and claim high balls in a packed box like that.

JB7

Most of Maguire thread is people talking about how he has improved and how good he looked apart from the goal against Melbourne.
This thread is just a bunch of people shitting all over De Gea.

So yes it's all about that. Especially since the same people are now at it again how Hendo is suddenly fantastic.
As I said, he’s made two basic errors in two games.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
DDG is a world class shot stopper but a bringer of chaos to the defences in front of him. It’s always been this way and always will.

It’s the same with Ronaldo. Both will produce great highlight reels next season but they’re not suitable for a club that’s serious about winning.

CloneMC16

This is the first game I've seen of the tour. It probably is for a lot of people, since it was played during the weekend. I think that's why there has been a lot more posts after this game. If he did this against Palace as well, that's shocking. Maguire was fine yesterday. I have nothing negative to say about him. He actually saved De Gea's ass with a good block to stop us from conceding.

I don't know why some of our fans think this is an English vs foreign player thing. It doesn't matter who it is. They will be criticised if they play poorly. Our most criticised players are the English players, anyway.

Lyng

As I said, he’s made two basic errors in two games.
So did several other in defence? Lindelöf was shocking. Maguire was awful on the Melbourne goal. Varane has looked bad so far.
De Gea was very good against Liverpool. But I guess that match doesn't count?

It's pre season and already the pitchforks are out.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As an all round goalkeeper De Gea is easily clear of Henderson. This isn’t even a particularly glowing endorsement of De Gea either, Romero (who I loved) was massively flawed and Henderson is a mid table keeper at very best. As evidenced by the England manager not touching him with a 100ft pole.
All round goalkeeper? De Gea is the absolute definition of a keeper not having all-round skills whatsoever.

He has (had?) one big strength. In fact he was so good at that one aspect that for a good 5-6 years his name would have had to be up there as one of the greatest of all time at that particular aspect (pure shot-stopping ability). But in literally every other single aspect of being a goalkeeper he is, not just average, but downright poor. Literally the worst in the league in many if not most of them. Ability under the high ball, communication with the defence, distribution, willingness to come out of his box to deal with through balls (which is a huge aspect of allowing the rest of the team to play with a high line). Part of the reason he gets called into action so much to make those brilliant stops is because of his incompetence at the other aspects of goalkeeping meaning that the opposition get more and better chances than they would with a keeper who shut down the opportunities early.

Henderson's run in goal in the final few months of 20/21 just so happened to be the best our defence has been in four years. Both by eye in that they simply looked more organised, and statistically. We conceded less goals per game in that period than at any other period of the last four years that DDG has been in goal.

Chief123

I’m pretty sure if ETH had the choice, he would have looked to have upgraded De Gea. The challenge ETH has is there are too many areas of the team to address in just one window. So he has to prioritise the biggest problem areas first. I think De gea could be upgraded next summer.

Chief123

My memory is very clear, hence the bit that you bolder saying “once he got back in”. Maybe your selective reading didn’t help though.

I certainly wouldn’t regard De Gea as an all round keeper. Even though De Gea is better than Henderson in a number of areas it could be argued Henderson’s average rating across all aspects of being a keeper may be higher than De geas. De Gea is poor as a sweeper keeper coming off his line. He’s poor at dominating his box coming for crosses and corners. His distribution is relatively poor and he’s not great with the ball at his feet. Having said that I don’t think Henderson is a solution either as he’s just ok in a few more areas than De Gea.

AKDevil

That last minute goal today should send shockwaves through to ETH.
Classic De gea goal to give away.
I guarantee that 19 out of the other 20 goalies in the league don’t let that happen .
But we are apparently fine with it.
Beggars belief.
Was thinking this, re Ten Hag. Thinking he must have seen the weaknesses in his game from his research but hoped he could blag his way through the season with all the other problems that needed solving. Also maybe doesn’t have the track record to do a Pep/Joe Hart. But what he showed yesterday is a glaring issue every club should be looking to exploit. Could be so damaging this season. Also think he’ll be exposed more by the way Ten Hag wants to play.

Mmm-Qatarian

I usually agree with you but I have to say I think this is very wrong. I'd say De Gea's distribution is possibly better than Henderson's (I don't think either can rightfully call this a strength, though) but Henderson is a considerably more pro-active keeper than De Gea, and the numbers back this up.

In what is perhaps the only fair comparison of the two, the 2020/21 season where Henderson stepped in to the number one spot around half-way through the season to replace De Gea, Henderson's shot prevention (measured in terms of expected goals prevented) was better on a per 90 basis than De Gea's. Henderson was sweeping more and sweeping further off of his line than De Gea, and the same can be said for his claiming of crosses.

Honestly, I'd say the opposite of what you are saying is perhaps the truth; in my mind, whilst De Gea is a better shot stopper than Henderson, Henderson's all round game is easily better than De Gea's.

JB7

So did several other in defence? Lindelöf was shocking. Maguire was awful on the Melbourne goal. Varane has looked bad so far.
De Gea was very good against Liverpool. But I guess that match doesn't count?

It's pre season and already the pitchforks are out.
He did do well against Liverpool I agree. He found it so unusual leaving his penalty area that he actually injured himself and missed the next game. He then came back in and has been directly responsible for 2 of the 3 goals conceded in those games.

Lindelof & Maguire were both at fault for the Melbourne goal, you are correct, and it has been pointed out several times but funnily enough this is the De Gea thread. Maguire was criticised across multiple pages in his thread for liking a fecking Instagram post and funnily enough I didn’t see you in that thread crying about a clean slate only applying to the English players.

Status
Not open for further replies.