Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Miller

You see why "progressive managers" many times are ready to tolerate keepers that dont save the day, dont make spectacular saves, but can cover the CBs and help to hold and reciclate possession.

We need an rvn

We’ll have to put up with him for the next year and be replaced after that.

the next two weeks and winter will be on other places.

we give him a new contract and i am happy to say feck united and will startsupprting the club I left Manchester for which is closer to my home now…which happens to be Brighton 25 minutes away from

but before anyone says feck off, I moved to Manchester in 2002 just to watch the clubwhose club shirt I got in ‘86

edit: I didn’t move here to be closer to Manchester but moved here to be closer to warm weather and my folks. Brighton just happen to be the closest club to where we live.

Crawley are 40m away and Brighton 25

flameinthesun

we give him a new contract and i am happy to say feck united and will startsupprting the club I left Manchester for which is closer to my home now…which happens to be Brighton 25 minutes away from

but before anyone says feck off, I moved to Manchester in 2002 just to watch the clubwhose club shirt I got in ‘86

edit: I didn’t move here to be closer to Manchester but moved here to be closer to warm weather and my folks. Brighton just happen to be the closest club to where we live.

Mate, a red is a red, doesn't matter how far from old trafford you are.

redcucumber

Brighton will likely go back to being useless as soon as Potter departs.

Bobski

He was done at the very top level after that WC debacle with Spain. Yes he made some great saves last year but his playing from the back and unwillingness to sweep aggressively create more issues than those saves end.

Pity Henderson wasn't good enough to displace him as well as being a total knob.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once

You do you but don’t come back when we start getting better again

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
When you see how much we've struggled with the signings we actually intended to make, it's no wonder we didn't add trying to replace De Gea to this summer's problems.

But yeah, hopefully we upgrade next year.

Remember the geese

Cheers for the life story. Might as well move back to Manchester though because the neighbours are doing well.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Every other serious club has spent big (when needed) to ensure the GK is suitable. The first thing Pep did when he went to City was bin off Joe Hart (who himself was Englands #1 at the time). Klopp spent big on Alisson, Arteta replaced Leno with Ramsdale etc.

Quite simply we cannot play modern, progressive, high line football with De Gea in goal. Every single CB we have signed since Rio and Vidic have looked crap - the consistent factor is the keeper behind them. He doesnt communicate and he doesnt sweep to collect the ball. For a slow CB like Maguire its a nightmare match, because he (and the other CB) simply have so much more ground to cover than their equivalents at other clubs.

I wouldve had Henderson as #1 last season and certainly this one, or if not him then go out and buy a new keeper. De Gea holds us back, possibly more than any other single position (except maybe DM).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's been coming over the years, but at least before he would save his seasons with good saves in some games where we were really bad and he would get us points. But he's really average as it gets these days, nowhere near top goalkeeper.

So bad coming off his line, sweeping and dealing with high balls.

I’ll die on this hill, he’s one of the huge problems why we look like shit at the back.

Last edited:

RedOrange

Yeah, having watched this again @SadlerMUFC I'm not actually sure I was being too harsh on him here.

It is made more difficult by the fact that it's going away from him but I reckon if De Gea is more proactive and dives on that with his hands he could stop that cross. Instead he decides to go with his feet for some godforsaken reason.
Definitely. Maybe he gets to it, maybe he doesn't, but what's the downside to him committing to stop that pass? As we saw he's got no chance if the ball makes it across there anyways.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yeah, having watched this again @SadlerMUFC I'm not actually sure I was being too harsh on him here.

It is made more difficult by the fact that it's going away from him but I reckon if De Gea is more proactive and dives on that with his hands he could stop that cross. Instead he decides to go with his feet for some godforsaken reason.
I didn't notice his little foot thingy before. If he's going to go for it he has to go hands first and be brave, not a half arsed little kick out. So I will agree that seeing as he "kind of" went for it, he should've tried better. Not sure if it would've helped, but that technique wouldn't get him anything. Either go for it, or run across goal and throw your body in the direction of the shooter and hope you get lucky...

Cloudface

He's just not very good. Drop a ball over our defensive line and every time it becomes a life or death race between our defenders and their attackers because De Gea will have retreated into the crowd the second it was kicked. A proactive keeper would snuff out half of those kinds of plays at least.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Gonna be a looooong bloody season if we keep trying to play it round the back like ETH seems to want us to do. Guaranteed to concede a load of comedy goals due to dithering Dave.

Quality on the ball aside, I thought he could have done better on both goals today. Especially the first one. His pathological aversion to diving at a striker’s feet is also going to cost us more and more goals as the season goes on.

Sylar

Our defence will improve with some structure and a lot of that comes from a goalkeeper that can see the whole picture and one they can trust.

Our second place finish coincided with Henderson taking the keeper spot from him and him becoming Europa keeper

I don't understand the whole notion of people saying he's fine or not the biggest issue. The fact remains he is a big issue that needs addressing as his position is an important part of the spine.

The changing of managers has helped him a lot. We really needed him gone around the time he tried to leave when LVG was manager. That contract (like the one we gave Rooney before him and Bruno after him) has crippled us. The ddg contract was even more insane as no club was actually going for him at the time nor no big team needed a goalkeeper

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Real Madrid would probably have moved on from him already had the fax machine worked.
No probably about it. They would have replaced him after his first terrible season in 18/19, especially as it came after his 2018 World Cup performances.

Meanwhile we gave him a huge new contract after that first terrible season, making him by far the highest paid goalkeeper in the world, and we're now into his fifth season of being an obvious weakness.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I hope we don’t buy a number 2.

Id rather we go for a number 1 in January.

We have no CDM in front of our CB’s and no GK behind them.

GazTheLegend

Watched Brighton's first goal and I can't help think de Gea could have gathered that cross. It wasn't unstoppable. Am I being harsh?

Was his position a bit negative to begin with? Did he give up and not even try to get across...
He just stood and watched the ball get poked in, once it was there it was -probably- not possible to save it but surely your goalie has to be moving in that direction at least, he just stays glued to his near post. I just don't know if he's getting the criticism he deserves - our defence gets a ton of blame but de Gea doesn't sweep anything up, we invite people to play through our defence because he stays so close to his line all the time ...

Oranges038

The more I think about it and the more I watch him play I can't help thinking he's a massive problem for the defence. Plays too deep, doesn't communicate, won't sweep or come for high balls and avoids any kind of physical contact. Everything you don't want from a keeper at any level of the game, yet he's the highest paid GK in the world.

I'm putting this Peter Schmeichel video in here again. Did it several times last year, he's talking about Foster but it could easily be DDG. I know people like to say Henderson is like Foster but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Red_toad

Wonder how long it’ll be before Heaton displaces him :D. Looked half decent in a few preseason games, then once the pressure is on he’s nailed to his line and his distribution turned to absolute gash.

Last edited:

Litch

Wonder how long it’ll be before Heaton displaces him :D. Looked half decent in a few preseason games, then once the pressure is on he’s nailed to his lineand his distribution turned to absolute gash.
Said elsewhere, ETH isn’t looking for players suffering from ptsd, he’s looking for confidence, assurance and even arrogance. Some of these current players are emotional shot and I suspect DDG is another one of them that reverts back to type when the shit hits the fan….

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Just a poor poor goalkeeper. Get Sanchez in next season and we look a lot better.

JB7

Wonder how long it’ll be before Heaton displaces him :D. Looked half decent in a few preseason games, then once the pressure is on he’s nailed to his line and his distribution turned to absolute gash.
He didn't look good in pre season though, he pretty much threw goals into his own net against Palace and Villa that were even worse than the two yesterday. He was half decent in the first game against Liverpool in fairness until he was so surprised by having to actually move that he went off injured and has reverted back to his usual self ever since.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So I have to ask - why the feck hasn't ETH replaced him? He's been a great player for us but he can't distribute. How will we ever play possesion footy with him as keeper? Hope this is not a sign of ETHs naivity.

Name Changed

weso26
DDG does not suit the way Ten Hag generally plays. He cannot play with the ball at his feet, and he is too afraid to come off his line.

I can see why Henderson wanted to get out before the new manager came in. He is more his type of goalkeeper.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He didn't look good in pre season though, he pretty much threw goals into his own net against Palace and Villa that were even worse than the two yesterday. He was half decent in the first game against Liverpool in fairness until he was so surprised by having to actually move that he went off injured and has reverted back to his usual self ever since.
It looked like the penny had finally dropped. So strange that he immediately regressed. What was that all about?!

Mmm-Qatarian

It looked like the penny had finally dropped. So strange that he immediately regressed. What was that all about?!
I just think De Gea is too far into his career to become an effective sweeper keeper.

It can happen that players make positional/role switches later in their career (Lahm moving from full back to midfield under Pep springs to mind) but that's typically because they have attributes that leave them well-suited to doing so.

De Gea is not good at claiming crosses, his distribution is average at best and he doesn't perform many defensive actions off of his line. I just don't see how we go from that to an elite, Champions League level sweeper keeper when he's 31 already.

RuudTom83

Whenever DDG or Maguire start taking extra touches on the ball it just creates panic, and when they do finally get the ball out from under their feet and make a pass the receiver is under more pressure and the problem just gets compounded.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
So I have to ask - why the feck hasn't ETH replaced him? He's been a great player for us but he can't distribute. How will we ever play possesion footy with him as keeper? Hope this is not a sign of ETHs naivity.
Give it time. Hopefully the boss is learning quick, he needs to. DDG is a poor goalkeeper

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Didn't get enough criticism with that "save". Handed them a goal with awful goalkeeping pretty much.

Bebe

This narrative that DDG is somehow costing United bucketloads of goals by not coming out as much as Ederson blows my mind. He's been one of the best goalkeepers on earth for most of the last decade, and remains so.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This narrative that DDG is somehow costing United bucketloads of goals by not coming out as much as Ederson blows my mind. He's been one of the best goalkeepers on earth for most of the last decade, and remains so.
It's not a narrative. It's supported by data and is becoming increasingly difficult to ignore. The truth is, he's a poor goalkeeper now.

FerociousCorgis

DDG is def not one of our biggest issues. Need to sort out the absolutely shit midfield, replace the fullbacks from the crap we saw last game, and sort out the attack properly are all bigger issues. (so pretty much everything). He will be fine for this year while we search for a long term modern keeper that fits what ETH might want ( and not overrated trash hendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.