David Moyes West Ham Manager | Gone (pedantic sod Sarni)

Paul_Scholes18

A huge portion of the animosity he gets isn't for being a poor manager for us, its his complete lack of responsibility of his actions. Did Souness blame everyone else?
He is certainly very smug and not someone you would really like. Sometimes being the bad manager can work though.
LVG is certainly worse in my view when it comes to just doing stupid things.
wa
Moyes hit the rock bottom with Sunderland and maybe it improved him in some way (don't think he is open to changing much). He still sound deluded, but maybe it gave him some fire as well that he needed.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The hatred on here towards Moyes is excessive in my opinion. Fergie's title winning team of 2012-13 needed rebuilding and Moyes in all sincerity thought he would be given the time to rebuild the side. In hindsight he was naive. But I don't see what he did to evoke such hatred. I mean Souness destroyed Liverpool when he took over so in that sense my dislike for Souness is justified. Moyes didn't let anybody go who shouldn't have gone. Indeed his signings Mata and Fellaini are still at Utd so LVG and Mourinho rated both players.
I think he is a good manager at a medium size club level and I see him making a good fist of the job at West Ham. For those who say he inherited a good squad at WH it is the same squad that struggled so badly under Slaven Bilic so Moyes is doing something right. They may yet get relegated its true. I have a feeling they won't. Interesting to see how it pans out. Credit to Roy Hodgson for the job he is doing at Palace.
This is the problem, a manager who was never used to the pressure of winning week week out found himself taking Alex Fergusson

An impossible job because he just didn't have the characteristics required to lead the team after the old manager left

If he had of went away and took the experience and failure on the chin and learned from it I don't think people would care too much

However he still plays the victim and says it's "not my fault" when clearly he failed to adapt and throws every excuse in the book out there to protect his image and how unfairly he was treated there

I'm not even a United fan I don't like Man United all that much but I can't stand the guy

He has such an ego and arrogance about him for a guy who has won feck all in his career and got the chance of a lifetime and screwed it up

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Moyes has done the two most obvious things that any manager could have done and seen except, it seems, Slaven Bilic.

Dropped Joe Hart & is playing Arnautovic as a centre forward.

That's it.

Needham

At least Moyes has removed The London Stadium as a subject from the national football debate. It was always a bullshit excuse to be losing. How come away teams can win on it first time they are obliged to adjust to it whereas West Ham get dozens of attempts and still point to a new pitch as the reason for their stinking fetid poverty of achievement?

Solo Toure

It’s still the honeymoon period, he always starts decent until he hits the rocky patches. West Ham will be fighting relegation till the death.

Don’t fall for his trap.

Paul_Scholes18

Indeed! 2 more wins than I expected.Another 2 wins and they'll erect a statue outside the ground
I expected some wins from them, but not beating Chelsea. 3-0 away against Stoke is very good as well.

I remember Moyes for us being better away from home. We actually had a decent amount of big wins away from home. 5-0 against Leverkursen. Some other big ones against West Brom, Aston Villa, Newcastle and some other poor team. Our home form killed us plus generally being poor in the big games in the league.

Will see what happens for Moyes in the easy home games now. I think they are the types of games that can feck him and then turn the mood around.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I expected some wins from them, but not beating Chelsea. 3-0 away against Stoke is very good as well.

I remember Moyes for us being better away from home. We actually had a decent amount of big wins away from home. 5-0 against Leverkursen. Some other big ones against West Brom, Aston Villa, Newcastle and some other poor team. Our home form killed us plus generally being poor in the big games in the league.
That was his Everton record as well. I'll never get over why the feck we appointed him

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
To be honest Moyes was a victim of a colossal misjudgment by Ferguson. How Ferguson thought Moyes was suitable to replace him will forever baffle me. How he thought a man who won nothing as a manager would be respected by the most trophy laden squad in England is the greatest mystery ever. Moyes was never going to turn down the opportunity to manage MU. At least LVG managed global footballing institutions like Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern and was successful so for that alone he would command respect. LVG had the cojones to go in and overhaul the squad. The same squad that Jose cleverly added to in the process of landing a domestic cup and European trophy.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
The hatred on here towards Moyes is excessive in my opinion. Fergie's title winning team of 2012-13 needed rebuilding and Moyes in all sincerity thought he would be given the time to rebuild the side. In hindsight he was naive. But I don't see what he did to evoke such hatred. I mean Souness destroyed Liverpool when he took over so in that sense my dislike for Souness is justified. Moyes didn't let anybody go who shouldn't have gone. Indeed his signings Mata and Fellaini are still at Utd so LVG and Mourinho rated both players.
I think he is a good manager at a medium size club level and I see him making a good fist of the job at West Ham. For those who say he inherited a good squad at WH it is the same squad that struggled so badly under Slaven Bilic so Moyes is doing something right. They may yet get relegated its true. I have a feeling they won't. Interesting to see how it pans out. Credit to Roy Hodgson for the job he is doing at Palace.
Agree with most of that, I also think he will keep the Hammers up though the fans may agitate for a new manger come the end of the season. Such is the fickle nature of football.

I think care needs to be taken with the results to date as two have been London derbies which have their freak results just like Merseyside ones or Manchester ones yet of course there are more in London.

I think Moyes is suited to mid-table sides rather than the title challengers though you can't blame him for having a go.

Fitchett

He sacked the most successful backroom team in the league (Phelan, Meulensteen, Steele) and brought in his Everton cronies who had won nothing. That was his biggest mistake. Those three were sacked by Moyes after winning the league by 11 points, Moyes continually whines about being sacked for failing.

Robbie Boy

Agree with most of that, I also think he will keep the Hammers up though the fans may agitate for a new manger come the end of the season. Such is the fickle nature of football.

I think care needs to be taken with the results to date as two have been London derbies which have their freak results just like Merseyside ones or Manchester ones yet of course there are more in London.

I think Moyes is suited to mid-table sides rather than the title challengers though you can't blame him for having a go.
Funny that it's 99% of rival fans on here who feel that the hate towards Moyes is excessive....

Last edited:

M4nu4Life

Moves is a good manager. Very good at signing lower league players who can play in the Premier league.

Was not prepared for man utd, and not supported. The team needed a major rebuild and all key players were old.

Best of luck to him.

stevoc

Moves is a good manager. Very good at signing lower league players who can play in the Premier league.

Was not prepared for man utd, and not supported. The team needed a major rebuild and all key players were old.

Best of luck to him.
By whom, the club? United made bids for Fabregas and a world record bid for Bale. Not to mention going along with his crackpot idea to let Fellaini's reclause expire because he wanted to sign players in a particular order. Only to sign him later for much more than we could have signed him for in July and then signed Mata for a club record fee.

One thing that Man Utd cannot be accused of is not backing their managers. Since Ferguson retired all 3 have been backed in the transfer market heavily.

Funny that it's 99% of rival fans on here who feel that the hate towards Moyes is excessive....
Because most of them love him. Along with a few other nutters.

Champagne Football

The Utd gig really put a strain on his mental health and you never want to see that. His biggest mistake at Utd was bottling transfer windows. Job was too big for him.

All he had to do to get West Ham back on track was to drop Joe Hart. Moyes can't believe his luck that he's being hailed as a genius now for doing what every fan in the country knew needed to be done months ago. In Arnautovic he has his Fellaini type target man so happy times ahead for David although Hammers fans will only stick his style for a year or two.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
How Moyes and LVG were sacked was poorly handled by the club. That gave both men understandable grievance towards the club. You can't treat people like shit and expect them to be all pie. That's not how real life works.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

Best of luck to him.
How exactly was Moyes not supported?

AndyJ1985

Best of luck to him.
He's so good at signing lower league players he failed miserably at Sunderland and left them with a team full of championship players.

Your excuses for him are as boring as the man himself.

M4nu4Life

He's so good at signing lower league players he failed miserably at Sunderland and left them with a team full of championship players.

Your excuses for him are as boring as the man himself.
They were already a sinking ship, he did not have a chance to build a squad as he needed to try to stay up.
How exactly was Moyes not supported?
He joined half way through the transfer period.

He was given unrealistic targets in Febregas and Bale and spent all the transfer period chasing them. In the end he got Fellaini because we needed someone not because he was the player he wanted.

We should have had a plan B and C lined up in case we could not get Febregas and Bale, and I don't blame Moyes for not having that.

In this day and age, the manager does not control which players you sign or speak to the players to see if they are keen.

The Bloody-Nine

They were already a sinking ship, he did not have a chance to build a squad as he needed to try to stay up.

He was given unrealistic targets in Febregas and Bale and spent all the transfer period chasing them. In the end he got Fellaini because we needed someone not because he was the player he wanted.

We should have had a plan B and C lined up in case we could not get Febregas and Bale, and I don't blame Moyes for not having that.

In this day and age, the manager does not control which players you sign or speak to the players to see if they are keen.
He was given unrealistic choices? What evidence do you have to support that?

Also, you do realise that he chose to go on holiday rather than join us straight away, right?

RDCR07

He joined us on July 1 didnt he? Two months is plenty of time to bring someone in. When he went on vacation he should have made plans to list out the players he wanted. First choices, then plan B and C. Management gave him the money. How do you NOT blame the manager for identifying backup players if he couldnt get his first choice players in? How is that the management's fault? Also if Bale and Cesc were first choice, then Carvalho, Thiago and Strootman were 2nd choice. He couldnt land any one of them either.

RedDevil@84

He was given unrealistic targets in Febregas and Bale and spent all the transfer period chasing them
I usually dont like Dailymail, but they have an article today about Utd transfer strategies. It says the club discussed Kroos and Alacantra transfers with Moyes who rejected them and asked not to pursue. The Alacantra transfer was also some way donw already by the time Moyes rejected the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../Man-Utd-use-50-scouts-manager-final-say.html

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
He joined us on July 1 didnt he? Two months is plenty of time to bring someone in. When he went on vacation he should have made plans to list out the players he wanted. First choices, then plan B and C. Management gave him the money. How do you NOT blame the manager for identifying backup players if he couldnt get his first choice players in? How is that the management's fault? Also if Bale and Cesc were first choice, then Carvalho, Thiago and Strootman were 2nd choice. He couldnt land any one of them either.
I always felt that July 1st start date was a bit of a red herring and he had longer than that to prepare because surely there was no way that he didn’t do any work behind the scenes prior to his official “start” date.

It’s a weird one with Moyes and United - on the one hand he was arguably too ruthless in getting rid of all Ferguson’s backroom staff but on the other hand he gave me the impression that he wasn’t ruthless enough in all other aspects of the job because he was totally overwhelmed by the sheer size of it and was tip-toeing around the place trying not to upset too many people.

RDCR07

I always felt that July 1st start date was a bit of a red herring and he had longer than that to prepare because surely there was no way that he didn’t do any work behind the scenes prior to his official “start” date.
Exactly. He knew late May I think that he was going to take over. When he went on vacation, he should have been making notes about things to do when he took over.

It’s a weird one with Moyes and United - on the one hand he was arguably too ruthless in getting rid of all Ferguson’s backroom staff
This was his biggest mistake in my opinion. Getting rid of the experienced backroom staff who could have helped both him and the team so much was his undoing in my opinion, not the shit transfer window.

Boycott

Exactly. He knew late May I think that he was going to take over. When he went on vacation, he should have been making notes about things to do when he took over.

This was his biggest mistake in my opinion. Getting rid of the experienced backroom staff who could have helped both him and the team so much was his undoing in my opinion, not the shit transfer window.
Not being funny but what notes does a football manager need on holiday?

The job of a football manager to me doesn't seem that demanding. His work began when he turned up for the first day and he got to see the players up close for the first time.

RDCR07

Not being funny but what notes does a football manager need on holiday?

The job of a football manager to me doesn't seem that demanding. His work began when he turned up for the first day and he got to see the players up close for the first time.
Like making a list of players who he can pursue once he starts working, the system the manager wants to implement, training stuff etc. He can do a bit of work when he was vacationing given the staggering nature of the job.

CA_vampire

Moyes win rate:

Real Sociedad 28.57
Sunderland 18.60
West Ham United 28.57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Moyes#Managerial_record

My question is: why do clubs keep hiring this man? He has never won anything. He has been a failure with us, and with every club he managed after us. And yet, they keep hiring him! I don't know of any other job where you can be such a failure and still be making millions! I cannot understand it. Can someone please explain it to me? Thank you!

CA_vampire

Out of interest why do you think that? I'd imagine it would be an immensely difficult and stressful job.
But is it stressful?

You make millions. You keep losing, you keep making millions. You keep losing, you are fired, you blame everyone else, you are hired, you are still making millions.

I can think of a lot of other jobs that are more stressful. And you don't make millions, not in a 100 years.

Boycott

Like making a list of players who he can pursue once he starts working, the system the manager wants to implement, training stuff etc. He can do a bit of work when he was vacationing given the staggering nature of the job.
Fair points although in my opinion the only one that a manager can really 'get done' is the transfer list. The off-season is the time of year where CEOs and Chairmen are the ones who are tasked with and I'm sure managers do call and converse even while on holiday. With respect to the others again I think that only can get started once you get to work, especially when you're a new manager. Moyes would have known our players from watching on tv and being a competitor. He would have had an idea in his mind of what they're like. Who knows whether he had dossiers on each players' fitness data etc while on holiday. This is all conjecture but ultimately I still think all this is secondary to getting to to meet the players and get to know them personally and the club staff to understand how the day to day operation is done at the new club.

Out of interest why do you think that? I'd imagine it would be an immensely difficult and stressful job.
It's not that I don't think it's stressful or difficult. When millions of people are watching and judging you it is very lonely no doubt. My point is largely around the day to day part of the job that surrounds matchday. To put it this way: I [the fan] am in no way qualified to coach a team. I wouldn't be able to put on a session for coaching kids let alone professionals. I fully appreciate the knowledge required behind being a coach and the inter-personal skills to be a good one. And there are levels to being decent/good/great/Sir Alex.

But Guardiola's Monday-Friday is no different than the Plymouth Argyle's manager. It's about coaching players. First team players. Training is usually done by lunch...then what? The management probably watches games for analysis which is essentially doing what we all do as fans for free for fun except they're paid for it and in the case of the top flight guys they're paid millions.

I don't mean to sound dismissive of the job....I'd bloody love to be a football coach but I'm curious as to what a day in the life would really look like. I have heard stories of a well known former PL manager who would barely be seen on a training day while Neil Warnock has admitted he took his QPR team to Italy on a pre-season camp because he had already booked a family vacation over there. He stayed in one hotel and the team stayed in one a short distance away...:D

BigMacBaz

Claims he's capable of managing any club in the world, A few wins and he's back on the Buckfast.

Sylar

Newcastle, bournemouth and west brom. Not a bad set of fixtures over the Xmas period for them to get even more points and momentum.

stevoc

Thats often the down side of doing a shit job and getting a team relegated.

You are either on a wind up mate or horribly misinformed, hopefully just the latter. He was appointed on May 9th 2013 before the season even ended. The transfer window doesn't open until July 1st. So ne he didn't actually join half way through the transfer period.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-united-appoints-new-manager-david-moyes.aspx

No you have that backwards, Moyes gave United unrealistic targets. Thats how it works at United you know, the manager picks players to sign and the club then try to sign them. Also Moyes most definitely did want Fellaini he just didn't want to sign him first which is why he was signed on deadline day.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/moye...irst-signing-at-man/i5kyoh882w9z1swea2l2nqxd1

Again thats the managers job, Moyes was woefully unprepared for the job or just woefully out of touch with scouting players. His time at Sunderland would suggest the latter is much more likely.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Fair play, he'd have to be better than Brian Potter.

Oaencha

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp

"I think I'm capable of doing the job at any club in the world so I'm sure I can do it at West Ham," he said.

Mind boggling. If I ever met him, I'm not sure if I'd laugh at him or slap him.
I hate the cretin because of what he did to Utd but can't stand him because of the never ending shite he spews. My girlfriend’s brother works as a steward at the Olympic Stadium. He’s stationed very close to the dug outs and if I ask him nicely he will shout out at least three Moyes-related obscenities a match. Feel free to add any suggestions and I will pass them on.

Sing you a song

Thought I'd have a laugh and have a read of all the hate and vitriol being spewed out about Moyes as usual
He's got off to a good start at West Ham and still the hatred pours out at him , imagine what it would have been like if he had a bad start !!
leave the guy alone for gods sake , he was the wrong choice for us I agree but what did you expect him to do turn the job down !!
Everyone blames him for that 1st awful transfer window when we also had a brand new and inexperienced chief executive who went chasing impossible targets before panicking at the last minute and paying over the odds for Fellaini who by the way was the stick that we beat Moyes with the most remember everyone hated him , useless donkey a disgrace that Moyes brought this useless lump to the club ! ( is that the same useless buy that has been deemed irreplaceable by our current manager ? ) maybe Moyes was right about him !
I hope he keeps west ham up for gods sake he was manchester United's manager personally chosen by the great Sir Alex , leave him in peace

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just when he was getting a bit of a run and only needing to keep things ticking he comes out with that quote. Such a strange character.