g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

David Moyes West Ham Manager | Gone (pedantic sod Sarni)

Fitchett

But Moyes was not some observer at the scene of an accident - he was hired (presumably) to make a positive difference. Instead, he talked down their chances from day 1 (even though Allardyce had kept them up with some room to spare) and then signed absolute garbage, who contributed to the club’s free fall. It was a difficult gig but I don’t think he could have done much worse if he were a Newcastle fan actively trying to get them relegated.
Spot on pal :lol:

dove

Phil Neville just said Moyes is up there with Wenger and SAF while commentating on NBCSN :lol:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
But Moyes was not some observer at the scene of an accident - he was hired (presumably) to make a positive difference. Instead, he talked down their chances from day 1 (even though Allardyce had kept them up with some room to spare) and then signed absolute garbage, who contributed to the club’s free fall. It was a difficult gig but I don’t think he could have done much worse if he were a Newcastle fan actively trying to get them relegated.
Allardyce league record at Sunderland: P30 W9 D9 L12 GF40 GA44 GD-4 Pts36 (12th best during his time there)

Then Moyes thought a good transfer window involved bringing in players from his former clubs, signing McNair, Gibson, Oviedo, Love, Pienaar, Anichebe, Lescott, signed one of Chelsea's worst signings in Djilobodji then signed Ndong for a club record fee which was a disaster. Then, after making the signings like you said he talked down their chances saying they were in a relegation battle from the off and that the players weren't good enough.

Motivational Moyes' league record at Sunderland: P38 W6 D6 L26 GF29 GA69 GD-40 Pts24 (20th)

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Allardyce league record at Sunderland: P30 W9 D9 L12 GF40 GA44 GD-4 Pts36 (12th best during his time there)

Then Moyes thought a good transfer window involved bringing in players from his former clubs, signing McNair, Gibson, Oviedo, Love, Pienaar, Anichebe, Lescott, signed one of Chelsea's worst signings in Djilobodji then signed Ndong for a club record fee which was a disaster. Then, after making the signings like you said he talked down their chances saying they were in a relegation battle from the off and that the players weren't good enough.

Motivational Moyes' league record at Sunderland: P38 W6 D6 L26 GF29 GA69 GD-40 Pts24 (20th)
They really are atrocious signings :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
His post match comments were a disgrace. Blaming the young defender within 15 seconds of being asked his first question

I'm praying Southampton or Stoke put a run together and relegated this sour faced twat.

Kag

His post match comments were a disgrace. Blaming the young defender within 15 seconds of being asked his first question

I'm praying Southampton or Stoke put a run together and relegated this sour faced twat.
I thought that was classic Dave. Always somebody else's fault.

He wasn't even asked about it either. He voluntarily went out of his way to criticise the lad. Even when Shreeves went to defend him re. age, he argued otherwise that it was a terrible error to make.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I thought that was classic Dave. Always somebody else's fault.

He wasn't even asked about it either. He voluntarily went out of his way to criticise the lad. Even when Shreeves went to defend him re. age, he argued otherwise that it was a terrible error to make.
Yeah, I couldn't quite believe it. Then I remembered it was Moyes. As you say, he wasn't even asked about it. But then this is his third 4-1 defeat in seven games and that can't be down to the manager.

He's odious.

redshaw

West Ham would probably need to lose the last four games or get one draw and three losses. I can see that being a small possibility and Southampton could get 7 points out of their games.

Assuming West Ham get beat in the next three I still think they'll beat Everton on the last day which will most likely kill off relegation.

Southampton vs Swansea could be crucial given the positions if Saints are to put a run together.

DavidDeSchmikes

Should shown that young defender more videos of Phil Jagielka

The Bloody-Nine

Perhaps he meant in terms of longevity. In which case, it's not a completely stupid thing to say. He's been a manager in the PL for a long time.

Djemba-Djemba

Moyes has done really well in making a lot of people think he's done a decent job at West Ham.

He really hasn't done a decent job in reality. He's been shite, and yet it's still probably his best work in 5 years.

devil in me

Moyes has done really well in making a lot of people think he's done a decent job at West Ham.

He really hasn't done a decent job in reality. He's been shite, and yet it's still probably his best work in 5 years.
This is so true. I read somewhere yesterday how he had done enough at West Ham to attract other premier league clubs to his services. I'm not exactly sure how.

Reading @Djemba-Djemba above I thought I'd check if that is true in reality, has Moyes done well, or not…

Bilic, who is still West Ham's best ever manager on paper (using points per game) and was fired for underachieving this season with West Ham's squad, had the following record this season before he was sacked.

Played 11
Won 2
Drew 3
Lost 6
Points 9
Goal difference -12
Points per games: 0.818

Moyes has the following:

Played 24
Won 6
Drew 8
Lost 10
Points 26
Goal difference -12
Points per games: 1.08

So at this moment, he's made them very very slightly marginally better than a guy that got fired for hugely underachieving. What he has achieved is that he's made West Ham a little harder to beat, not much, but a little.

If he loses the last 3 games, Leicester away, United home, Everton away it could be great fun.

Last edited:

stevoc

Reading @Djemba-Djemba above I thought I'd check if that is true in reality, has Moyes done well, or not…

Bilic, who is still West Ham's best ever manager on paper (using points per game) and was fired for underachieving this season with West Ham's squad, had the following record this season before he was sacked.

Played 11
Won 2
Drew 3
Lost 6
Points 9
Goal difference -12
Points per games: 0.818

Moyes has the following:

Played 24
Won 6
Drew 8
Lost 10
Points 26
Goal difference -12
Points per games: 1.08

So at this moment, he's made them very very slightly marginally better than a guy that got fired for hugely underachieving. What he has achieved is that he's made West Ham a little harder to beat, not much, but a little.

If he loses the last 3 games, Leicester away, United home, Everton away it could be great fun.
In all competitions under Bilic they lost 42% of their games, under Moyes in all competitions they have lost 42% of their games. Progress.

I now expect they will survive barely and Moyes will be hailed as a brave genius who pulled off the impossible. With the squad West Ham have they really should have been safe weeks ago.

MoskvaRed

Same way Alardyce, Pardew, Pulis, Hughes and Clement keep getting PL jobs.
It’s unfair putting Allardyce in with the others - the football may be dull and cynical but he brings a cast-iron guarantee that the team won’t be relegated. Unlike Pardew and Hughes, I can at least see why a chairman of a struggling club might call up Sam with the offer of a big staying up bonus.

Bojan11

He probably told Carroll to go watch DVDs of Victor Anichebe.
I don’t blame Moyes for this one. Carroll is a serial waster who is fit once in a while and the other times he’s probably in a pub or club.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Yup. Carroll's a stain on the club right now.

Big time attitude for a player who's never fit and pretty mediocre when he is. They've been far better with Arnautovic through the middle.

RedDevil@84

Lucky for Moyes, there are too many teams that are crap to super crap this season. At one point in the season, it looked like almost anyone in bottom 7 or 8 could be in relegation scrap.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I don’t blame Moyes for this one. Carroll is a serial waster who is fit once in a while and the other times he’s probably in a pub or club.
Agreed. Just about the only thing I agreed with Moyes doing whilst he was here was disciplining Welbeck for breaking the club curfew on a night-out around the time of the Bayern games, even though that led to whinging reports in the press of Welbeck was unhappy over it and him eventually leaving the club, but the manager has to have the authority in the dressing room, even if he's wildly out of his depth like Moyes.

And I agree that West Ham shouldn't still be in the relegation discussion at this point of the season - they have a far better squad than many teams and after a couple of good seasons with Bilic shouldn't be down there still IMO. Shame we can't get rid of them due to the shitness of other teams down there.

el3mel

That includes our season doesn't it ? :D At least he knows his level.

Chairman Steve

Moyes is a bit of dinosaur now. His style in the naughties when the TV money wasn't coming in worked well (loan signings and freebies) but now that even promoted clubs can splash serious cash and attract players you'd never think they could attract... Moyes' appeal lessens.

Not to mention the better foreign managers want to come over here now, due to the money sloshing around meaning they can build whatever team they want, so Moyes slides further down.

I think he's a bit too risk-averse transfer-wise to be a top football manager. Everything seemingly has to be calculated out to see if a player would fit and by which point, the transfer window would have closed and/or the player would have signed a new contract or signed for someone else. One of Sir Alex's great strengths was to go with his gut instinct and just do it... whether it be buying a player (Van Persie) or tactical decisions (Ordering his 1999 CL final team to keep attacking Bayern after they got the equaliser and McClaren wanted them to get to ET and reassess).

He'll kinda join the ranks of Pardew, Allardyce and Hodgson in that you'll see him swap between a middling to lower team every 2-3 years. Good British managers really have hit a drought after Sir Bobby Robson and Sir Alex came along.

Reactions: esmufc07

Bojan11

I was hoping we'd relegate him this evening.

His stint in Spain seems to have slipped his memory.
No.

West Ham deserve something better than relegation. That is Moyes for another year or two. Obviously the dildo brothers and Karen Brady need to stay put too.

Red Stone

That includes our season doesn't it ? :D At least he knows his level.
Moyes knows how to run a ship aground in boring mediocrity. If he was a GPS, no matter where you were in the world, he'd always show you the way to Stoke.