Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

El Jefe

Bossed this league? He had a good first year but the hype surrounding that was mind boggling especially considering that Martial had a better first season coming in from a different league in a different country.
He made PFA Team of the year, was awarded YPOTY and was instrumental in Spurs highest league finish in God knows how long scoring 10 goals and making 11 assists I think.

You seem to not be able to look at this objectively.

NK86

He made PFA Team of the year, was awarded YPOTY and was instrumental in Spurs highest league finish in God knows how long scoring 10 goals and making 11 assists I think.

I am not saying he was poor. Just saying Martial was better.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm sorry 5but I don't see that. They're equal talents for me.

Alli has a gift of a great first touch which always makes him seem like he's always got time on the ball. That's a gift that only the truly top players have. When you bring his movement and finishing into it, it's absolutely clear to see he's a top talent.

To say he's a very good talent is an understatement. We're talking about a kid who came from league one and bossed this league last season showing maturity beyond his years in the process.
You're free to disagree.

I don't see that level of talent in Deli Ali. He's a quality young player but more in the Lampard mould I.e very talented and could be a terrific player but not quite among the absolute elite. The likes of Martial and Dembele have magic in their feet. They could be among the best 3-5 footballers in the game if they fulfill their potential. That's the difference for me.

Touch? Martial's got a terrific touch too. In fact he's got something even rarer which is that he's able to keep the ball under control and close to him at pace which is very very rare and something you see in the best players.

saivet

Not sure who these players he is up against though

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
So none of them will get their heads turned and force a move? Contracts mean very little, just means you'll get a good fee. Spurs are a selling club after all and what if the new stadium build costs more than anticipated? Construction costs often spiral.
Are we a selling club?

Last report I saw said construction costs and build time were on target, then there was the story that the NFL could be making a significant contribution to the stadium cost. I have no idea if that is true or not but one thing that is for sure about Spurs and that's that it's financially very well run.

amolbhatia50k

Martial was also brilliant last season. It's just that he played in a much inferior team and didn't have the same support Ali did. Plus it was also a new league for him as opposed to Ali whose played in English football throughout.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Martial was also brilliant last season. It's just that he played in a much inferior team and didn't have the same support Ali did. Plus it was also a new league for him as opposed to Ali whose played in English football throughout.
Are you saying League 1 is comparable to the PL?

amolbhatia50k

Are you saying League 1 is comparable to the PL?
Eh? It's English football. Of course it's comparable. Moving to a new country, new environment, new kind of football culture and then playing under over the hill LVG as opposed to one of the best right now in Pochettino is obviously different.

The step up Deli Ali made was more to do with the fact that he clearly had the class to deal with the higher level than needing to adjust to a new type of league or footballing culture.

Irrational.

Phenomenal talent, we should've signed him immediately after MK Dons thrashed us - he starred in that game. Thanks Louis. :rolleyes:

Spurs got an absolute steal for £5 million. They're pretty good at identifying and buying young talent.

Something about Alli just rubs me up the wrong way though. He's got an arrogance/ cockiness about him which seems to suggest he thinks he's better than he actually is.

Having said that, all the conditions are there for him to be a world class player in the future.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Glaston is so delusional, ways just referring to goals and assists whilst Martial played for the least scoring Manchester United ever and was literally the only one that made things happen last season. Just referring to goals and assist without any context is pointless. Alli would have nowhere near as many goals and assists if he played in zero pace and creativity's LvG United, and that isnt discrediting Alli. They're both huge talents but if we are using non-arguments; Martial won the Golden Boy above Alli so haha.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Eh? It's English football. Of course it's comparable. Moving to a new country, new environment, new kind of football culture and then playing under over the hill LVG as opposed to one of the best right now in Pochettino is obviously different.

The step up Deli Ali made was more to do with the fact that he clearly had the class to deal with the higher level than needing to adjust to a new type of league or footballing culture.
I totally get the new country part, as somebody who has worked overseas a lot it always takes getting used to.

cyberman

Martial has more goals despite being stuck on tbe wing for so long.
Stats are simple.

Janson

Amazing player, haven't watched him much before but now I see that the hype was justified.

Utdstar01

Good goal scoring attacking midfielder in the mould of a number 10 but probably wouldn't get into any of the other top 5 teams in the number 10 position at the present time.

cyberman

Good goal scoring attacking midfielder in the mould of a number 10 but probably wouldn't get into any of the other top 5 teams in the number 10 position at the present time.
Yeah, the world seems to be moving on from top sides having number 10s sadly. When you have United fans debating the merits of signing Griezmann then you know the world has changed.

ti vu

Yeah, the world seems to be moving on from top sides having number 10s sadly. When you have United fans debating the merits of signing Griezmann then you know the world has changed.
Or Griezmann is not really a classic #10 but second forward, which I suspect Alli also falls into same categories.

For us we need someone, more of #10 who get more involved in midfield, than simply assist and goals. Before the deep lying play maker era, the #10 was the main play maker in the team. If we can't replace Carrick then find someone to do that job at the tip of midfield

3KDré

The number 10 is slowly dying out in popularity now anyway

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Are we a selling club?

Last report I saw said construction costs and build time were on target, then there was the story that the NFL could be making a significant contribution to the stadium cost. I have no idea if that is true or not but one thing that is for sure about Spurs and that's that it's financially very well run.
They don't even pay for stadiums in the US, rather making states pay, why on earth would they contribute to yours?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Never seen such a case of nippy but poor end product than that Boro winger.

Edit: Wrong thread!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
if anything, he's more like Gerrard or Lampard.
Think Lampard is a great comparison, Alli seems to lack the overt creativity or technique imo, but seems to be a fairly decent all-round player with a good goal threat. That being said, he does have a long way to go to match Lampard's sheer consistency and all-round game (Lampard's all round game did get a wee bit underrated, esp his passing imo).

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
They don't even pay for stadiums in the US, rather making states pay, why on earth would they contribute to yours?
I have no idea or even if there's the slightest truth in it, but there were some rumours a while back that they were going to contribute financially.

RooneyLegend

It's not ridiculous if you see Muller more regularly. The guy has become a world class player based primarily on his movement and finishing abilities. Delle Alli is not even close to that level. He is a good young player but his hype is beyond belief. His 5 goals in 3 matches does not mean the remaining 15 odd matches didn't happen where he looked all over the place. Against us he was practically invisible throughout the game. He has hit a rich vein and suddenly he is the English Muller.
The most goals Muller has scored in open play in a league season is 15(last season). Alli will probably reach that total this season, maybe even surpass it. Alli's biggest strength is also his movement and finishing. Add to that his hard working and decision making in the final third, im not seeing any quality Muller has that he doesn't. He hasn't just hit a rich vein of form, he comes from a season where he was lauded for. We know he's quality and it isnt just for the past 3 games that would lead to such a comparison, its his whole body of work since he's been playing at the top level. Kane looked like a conference footballer vs us, ibra had a drought not so long ago, Ozil has had some mares this season, doesn't stop them from being quality players.

NK86

The most goals Muller has scored in open play in a league season is 15(last season). Alli will probably reach that total this season, maybe even surpass it. Alli's biggest strength is also his movement and finishing. Add to that his hard working and decision making in the final third, im not seeing any quality Muller has that he doesn't. He hasn't just hit a rich vein of form, he comes from a season where he was lauded for. We know he's quality and it isnt just for the past 3 games that would lead to such a comparison, its his whole body of work since he's been playing at the top level. Kane looked like a conference footballer vs us, ibra had a drought not so long ago, Ozil has had some mares this season, doesn't stop them from being quality players.
Similar qualities don't mean the same level of those said qualities. Alli, while being a talented youngster, is not even close to Muller's level. Muller had 32 goals last season. Alli has had 10 so far as his best performance in a season. Muller also is an absolutely vital part of the WC winning Germany team. He can play anywhere across the front three and his movement off the ball is second to none. His defensive qualities are also underrated. Alli is not that good defensively and that is why he struggled in the midfield role. He seems to need that free role to thrive, something which Muller is not dependent on.

Walters_19_MuFc

Super, super player. As I said before, to time his runs into the box and get onto the end of them is very reminiscent of Lampard. I'd say his goal threat from midfield is his greatest quality, but his overall ability is fantastic.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Similar qualities don't mean the same level of those said qualities. Alli, while being a talented youngster, is not even close to Muller's level. Muller had 32 goals last season. Alli has had 10 so far as his best performance in a season. Muller also is an absolutely vital part of the WC winning Germany team. He can play anywhere across the front three and his movement off the ball is second to none. His defensive qualities are also underrated. Alli is not that good defensively and that is why he struggled in the midfield role. He seems to need that free role to thrive, something which Muller is not dependent on.
Please elaborate as to when you saw Alli struggling in a midfield role?

As for Muller whenever I've watched Bayern or Germany, which I admit isn't all that much he has never played in a midfield role, instead he has always played free.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
From the outside, he is the best English prospect for sure but, you all know, it is a title pretty fast deprecating to average shite if the player does not contend for any serious silverware. So, should Alli move to a 1st tier club sooner than later? Let's see how Spurs do this year and the next before calling him out for a transfer.

m1y2

Alli is one of the best young players in the league and already great and established player for a top4 contender, he's got very high potential.

Pogba is the best midfielder in the league and already one of the best players in the league, he's actually world class lately so he only needs to work on his consistency to reach his top potential and win the baloon d'or which he's definitely capable especially with his ridiculous skillset, he's more allround than Alli but two years older. Alli is for Spurs what is Pogba for us but Spurs will hardly ever win the league.

Martial is different player, and has massive massive potential, almost on the level of Pogba of potential, who is a unique player, just needs to stay focused on his game and he will become a legend here

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Alli does not score or assist more. Stop this bollocks. Alli's tally last season was well below Martial's. Don't pick and choose competitions to suit your metrics.
In the 1.5 seasons that both have been at their respective Prem clubs, and in all competitions:

alli: 19 goals and 12 assists
martial: 17 goals and 7 assists

Prodigal7

Stat blasts. :wenger:
A tool for fantasy football idiots who have no idea about (and probably never played) football to try and prove a biased point or just make themselves sound knowledgable. Alli is non existent for most matches in the PL but pops up with a few goals against lower teams that leave him space. He also plays in a hugely energetic midfield that opens up space for him. The guy is hugely overrated by spurs and united fans (and England really). He's not a central midfielder he's more of a second striker with 2 midfielders behind him so these numbers are nothing special for his position, though admittedly he's a good finisher and his goal count can still be something a 20 year old can be proud of. Both Erickson and dembele are better and more talented than this guy. The hyperbole is cringeworthy. English players in the PL are subject to a sickening about of hype building given their underwhelming talents.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Stat blasts. :wenger:
A tool for fantasy football idiots who have no idea about (and probably never played) football to try and prove a biased point or just make themselves sound knowledgable. Alli is non existent for most matches in the PL but pops up with a few goals against lower teams that leave him space. He also plays in a hugely energetic midfield that opens up space for him. The guy is hugely overrated by spurs and united fans (and England really). He's not a central midfielder he's more of a second striker with 2 midfielders behind him so these numbers are nothing special for his position, though admittedly he's a good finisher and his goal count can still be something a 20 year old can be proud of. Both Erickson and dembele are better and more talented than this guy. The hyperbole is cringeworthy. English players in the PL are subject to a sickening about of hype building given their underwhelming talents.
I agree with this. However as long as he keeps scoring, he won't get criticized much for an average overall ability.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
In the 1.5 seasons that both have been at their respective Prem clubs, and in all competitions:

alli: 19 goals and 12 assists
martial: 17 goals and 7 assists
Martial scored 22 goals.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
One of the most overrated players in the league. To tall and clumsy to be a top number 10 and not good enough to be a top midfielder.

He is a decent premier league player and Spurs are probably just about his level. I don't think he is good enough to be playing for the very top sides.