4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDevil

Would like to say the bloke is an absolute legend when it comes to making time for fans. Each time he has gotten off the team bus when they arrive back at the hotel he comes up to greet fans, sign shirts and take photos. Unfortunately there’s really only a few of them that have made the time for fans but Donny has been an absolute pleasure.

Olecurls99

Terrible idea :wenger: That midfield would’ve been overrun and outplayed by every top 6 teams.
As opposed to being outplayed by everybody.

Ole's caution was his biggest downfall. McTominay was that caution. Donny would have been so much better at showing for the ball and building attacks.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
As opposed to being outplayed by everybody.

Ole's caution was his biggest downfall. McTominay was that caution. Donny would have been so much better at showing for the ball and building attacks.
Yes. He’s brilliant at progressing the ball forward is Donny. As shown by him being in the bottom 14th percentile for progressive passes and the bottom 26th percentile for progressive carries. He’s an at best average number 6. I don’t know how many times it needs saying but he’s a shadow striker. That’s his position. His skillset is interchanging and movement around the box. Now in ETHs system at home against the fodder where Dalot is inverted allowing the second CM to push very high as we sustain attacks and play in the opposition half for most of the game he might be able to play deeper - but any idea he should have been starting ahead of Fred/Mctominay for Ole or Ragnick in the pivot is just utter lunacy.

Olecurls99

Yes. He’s brilliant at progressing the ball forward is Donny. As shown by him being in the bottom 14th percentile for progressive passes and the bottom 26th percentile for progressive carries. He’s an at best average number 6. I don’t know how many times it needs saying but he’s a shadow striker. That’s his position. His skillset is interchanging and movement around the box. Now in ETHs system at home against the fodder where Dalot is inverted allowing the second CM to push very high as we sustain attacks and play in the opposition half for most of the game he might be able to play deeper - but any idea he should have been starting ahead of Fred/Mctominay for Ole or Rangnick in the pivot is just utter lunacy.
You don't have to progress the ball to play 6. You can just keep it better and that'd help, especially given the way we used to just give it up the last 2 years.

When he played for us he played link man up top usually so of course he didn't make progressive 10+ yard passes or carries (I can break this down for you if it needs doing) . It's not lunacy to suggest he's better at 6 than Mctominay, in fact it shows a lack of basic footballing knowledge to not see it.

Bobski

*facepalm*

He's not suited for 6 or 8. His qualities there are mediocre at best. He's a 10, however not a creative one. His qualities in and around the box are great though. I understand these type of players are not very common as they are not used very often. Teams play a creative #10 or without a 10.

The reason why Donny hasn't been that great at 10 for United is because he has been made to play as a creative 10. He's not a Bruno replacement, he has total different qualities. When Bruno is not playing, you put Donny there and you expect him to do exactly what Bruno is doing, you just don't understand the characteristics of the player. Donny never did those things when he did great at Ajax. Its not like he played like Bruno did when Donny was back at Ajax and now at PL level he can't do it. He never played like Bruno in the first place. He's a totally different player, to ve used in a different setup.

Donny has great qualities in and around the box and therefor 10 is by far his best position. He needs however creative players around him that will find him in those area's. He will be at the right place at the right time, capitalize on the opportunities and find the right solutions there. However if you're waiting for him to be the playmaker setting up all the attackers with great passes fdom the half way line, you're going to wait a very long time. He will do so occasionally, but it's never been his game to always give that pass.

At 6 or 8, sure Donny might be a decent player, but he'll never be the significant improvement over McFred that you're looking for.

This.This.This.This.This.

"he is a 10, but no, not that type of 10, but no he is really an 8 but not that type of 8, but no a 6 but, you guessed it, not that type of 6"

People massively overrate goals and the players who score them. Donny was a goalscoring midfielder at Ajax and thus was attributed all the qualities of a goalscorer and the imaginary qualities of a midfielder he never was. He is a player who has good movement and interplay around the box with good basic technique, but very little creativity or individuality in his game, a very limited passing range and is rather light weight.

Glorio

*facepalm*

He's not suited for 6 or 8. His qualities there are mediocre at best. He's a 10, however not a creative one. His qualities in and around the box are great though. I understand these type of players are not very common as they are not used very often. Teams play a creative #10 or without a 10.

The reason why Donny hasn't been that great at 10 for United is because he has been made to play as a creative 10. He's not a Bruno replacement, he has total different qualities. When Bruno is not playing, you put Donny there and you expect him to do exactly what Bruno is doing, you just don't understand the characteristics of the player. Donny never did those things when he did great at Ajax. Its not like he played like Bruno did when Donny was back at Ajax and now at PL level he can't do it. He never played like Bruno in the first place. He's a totally different player, to ve used in a different setup.

Donny has great qualities in and around the box and therefor 10 is by far his best position. He needs however creative players around him that will find him in those area's. He will be at the right place at the right time, capitalize on the opportunities and find the right solutions there. However if you're waiting for him to be the playmaker setting up all the attackers with great passes fdom the half way line, you're going to wait a very long time. He will do so occasionally, but it's never been his game to always give that pass.

At 6 or 8, sure Donny might be a decent player, but he'll never be the significant improvement over McFred that you're looking for.
This would suggest Donny at his best would look a bit like a less robust Frank Lampard

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
You can definitely see why he hasn't been given many games in that deeper role.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don’t know what he’s supposed to be good at? Can’t defend and he’s not particularly creative. Doesn’t have a good shot on him. His quick 1 2 passing maybe? But that only gets you so far.

just doesn’t look cut out for it at all sadly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wonder what all the people who gave me stick for saying this would be a bad signing because he’s rubbish think of him now.

Still can’t believe people didn’t see how much de Jong was carrying that midfield. Donny, like here, did nothing bar the odd link-up flick and goal.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Really want him to show us something. Anything

But he was had the least impact from anyone in the side. Just nothing

The United

In a good half, with all the attacking players playing decent, VDB managed to disappear/hide. At times, you think we have two Brunos playing as no 8 on in that 4 3 4.

Abraxas

What is his role supposed to be today? He's playing quite high and leaving Fred to build play, but he's just not in the game and is overshadowed by Bruno.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Less that he's been bad, more that he's been nothing.

Still, given how advanced his role is it could easily be that Eriksen soon takes that spot. Which would be quite the upgrade.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not his fault. Everyone knows Ajax always played on sunday afternoon not saterday. The difference in humidity between the two weekend days is of high importance in the holy school of Ajax football.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I'd call him the Dutch Tom cleverley but even Tom had a bit more about him whilst at united, probably still now.

Everton and below is his level.

Bobski

He takes up the weirdest positions, the amount of times he ends up, while supposedly playing midfield, in the CF role or as highest up detached from the rest is very odd. Not just under Ten Hag either, this pattern occurred over the last 2 years as well, just vanishes from games for long periods.

When he comes deep he just taps the ball back to the player he got it from, up high he is good at just bouncing the ball back and continuing attacks. Helps in the press though high up.

El Jefe

Ghosts are real. I think I spotted VDB out there for a second.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Martial is more impactful in midfield when he drops than Donny for Pete sakes, that's a massive indictment on his impact in that area.

E-mal

We could do some sort of deal with Ajax involving Antony perhaps? He just is not good enough for united or even the premier league.
Dude is anonymous!

3vra

Seriously like 9 years old playing fifa pro clubs asking for a ball all the time being in wrong positions, when he gets it doing nothing with the ball and missing every action but sprints towards the goal all the time even if that does not make sense. I have never seen a player so confused being on the pitch.

Telsim

A complete non-factor in this game and in the preseason as a whole. I've defended him so far, but it's running thin. Still, I maintain preseason means nothing as a whole, so let's see how he does after he gets minutes in the league proper.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's in for another season of looking sad on the bench.

With the 5 subs rule he'll get a few minutes here and there in games we are comfortable at best.

diarm

That was his chance. 45 minutes with most of the first team around him and he was lost out there. Jogging about letting them walk through him while the rest of his teammates were chasing down everything.

I just don't see it.

Wicked_Badger

Not great today so far.

In a preseason where pretty much every player looks improved over their form last season, he’s struggled to make any significant impact or noticeable contribution.

I’m sure he is a good footballer, and can thrive in the right team/system with the right players around him. Question is if Utd (even with EtH in charge) is that environment.

I’m no tactician & have no great knowledge of the differences between 6/8/10’s, false this & that’s or Mezzala’s, but to my untrained eye, the kids have offered more than he has this pre-season.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I've been saying it none stop, to the point it now gets ridiculed in the group chat, but he's the most nothing player I've ever seen play for us.

I understood Gibsons strengths more than VdB

phelans shorts

I've been saying it none stop, to the point it now gets ridiculed in the group chat, but he's the most nothing player I've ever seen play for us.

I mean, Darron Gibson had some very obvious strengths. He had a rocket of a shot on him, and for us had a very good scoring record as a result.

But yes, VDB seemingly has no strengths at all, but he’s just misunderstood apparently.

OverratedOpinion

I'd love to hear from the resident Ajax fans re what his strengths are.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'd love to hear from the resident Ajax fans re what his strengths are.
Attacking midfielder who makes runs into the box to get into a scoring position. Thrives when everyone around him is very creative and able to pick his runs out with a decisive pass, but that's all he offers. He does nothing on the ball, does not contribute defensively and doesn't have above average anything.

I'm not an Ajax fan.

Trequarista10

Was slating him the past couple days and insisting he's not a CM. With ETH selecting him today, naturally I wondered if I'll be proved wrong. If anyone could get him looking decent it'd be him, right?

Safe to say DVB has shown even less than I expected. Put Eriksen in his position and the difference would be significant. Or putting Fred in his position, with FDJ or another in the deeper role. Best hope for Donny is to find a buyer as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.