View full 2021-22 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

If you look through he hasn’t actually scored that many important goals, defining goals or goals against our rivals at all.

For me when I look through I find :-

Southampton x2
Spurs away last season
Fulham away to equalise

There’s probably more in the EL but we shouldn’t be playing in that and him not scoring any goals in CL is part of the reason we did.
I get his work ethic certainly but a team of runners doesn’t win you anything. Rooney ran around a lot but his all round game was world class and when I watch Cavani his link play and ability on the ball is not.
He hasn't really been great at the thing we expected him to be great at, scoring goals, but he has reminded us what a proper striker does to a team with his movement, workrate and overall play. No more convincing ourselves Martial will get there one day, or Rashford could become more clinical, or maybe Greenwood will develop into one. Cavani has shown us all what a real striker is all about for the first time since RVP left.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think you're wayyyy overcomplicating things. It's a simple wish formulated by fans who appreciate the player. Nothing that deserves that much of a ridiculous dissection. I actually cannot believe that I had to precise all of that.
It’s no more complicated to me than a performance analysis. But hey ho I do get what you’re saying. He’s just not a player I’d look at particularly and wish for more of, whilst accepting that the version of ten years ago was much better.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He hasn't really been great at the thing we expected him to be great at, scoring goals, but he has reminded us what a proper striker does to a team with his movement, workrate and overall play. No more convincing ourselves Martial will get there one day, or Rashford could become more clinical, or maybe Greenwood will develop into one. Cavani has shown us all what a real striker is all about for the first time since RVP left.
Yep agree with this…BUT ! which of Salah Mane and Jota are the real striker? Which of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez were? Perhaps you’re onto my issue. See I’m more of a front three thinking person. For me our best performances under Ole have come with fluid front threes and include the players you mentioned. I certainly hope Greenwood for example will go onto become an absolute legend of the club and I don’t yearn for a Cavani, RVN type. Good shout.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It’s no more complicated to me than a performance analysis. But hey ho I do get what you’re saying. He’s just not a player I’d look at particularly and wish for more of, whilst accepting that the version of ten years ago was much better.
You see, I can understand people not sharing that same view. It's a matter of personal taste. I just found it weird how you considered people who rated him like that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You see, I can understand people not sharing that same view. It's a matter of personal taste. I just found it weird how you considered people who rated him like that.
I think it’s the masse nature of it :lol: and it was meant to be light hearted, I can certainly understand people not sharing my view. I’m just struggling to understand where some of the views here come from. I mean views like ‘great game’ ‘great goal’ ‘great player’ etc in a performance thread of course! But I’m reading things like what a human being, etc….if onlys etc and I’m thinking…..to me he’s been alright. I’ve no problems with him, but nothing more than that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Because if everyone had his mindset and attitude, we would be top of the league, or at least much closer than what we currently are.
Ok…..I think it takes much more than that. But I take your point.

Yep agree with this…BUT ! which of Salah Mane and Jota are the real striker? Which of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez were? Perhaps you’re onto my issue. See I’m more of a front three thinking person. For me our best performances under Ole have come with fluid front threes and include the players you mentioned. I certainly hope Greenwood for example will go onto become an absolute legend of the club and I don’t yearn for a Cavani, RVN type. Good shout.
I agree he is not the solution to all our problems like some think (at least a younger version of him) but I think its just the step he represents. We have had to convince ourselves mediocrity might one day be good enough for 8 years now with all kinds of different players. Cavani is the first striker we have had who is genuinely, unquestionably good enough for a club of this stature.

It's like Liverpool fans having to convince themselves players like Lallana, Sturridge and Coutinho were top players all those years. Now they have Salah and Mane they don't need to pretend anymore.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I agree he is not the solution to all our problems like some think (at least a younger version of him) but I think its just the step he represents. We have had to convince ourselves mediocrity might one day be good enough for 8 years now with all kinds of different players. Cavani is the first striker we have had who is genuinely, unquestionably good enough for a club of this stature.

It's like Liverpool fans having to convince themselves players like Lallana, Sturridge and Coutinho were top players all those years. Now they have Salah and Mane they don't need to pretend anymore.
Yep we need better players and a better manager

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I’m baffled by all this talk of him being a real man, if only we’d signed him earlier etc. He’s become some sort of cult hero and I just find it really strange. I thought at the end of last season he was superb. EL final he was easily our best player for me and one of only a few who didn’t deserve to lose the game……but aside from that he’s done next to nothing, at all.

League and CL :-

Cavani 38 appearances 11 goals

Ronaldo 11 appearances 9 goals

I get not everyone has to be Ronaldo but he’s done less than A LOT of players have and somehow earned this Demi God recognition for what I’m not sure?

The only player I have any sort of regard for aside from actual footballing performances is Rashford, he’s done something special. I’m not sure anyone else including Cavani deserves any mention for human praise.

Youre all weird:lol:
Because he's an actual relentless hound that is willing to break his face to help the team.

He earns accolades not because of the goals, but because of the person he is. He's a player who is really easy to like. Through his exceptional workrate, willingness to defend from a forward position and can-do attitude.

For example: That ball form McTominay that hit the post vs. Atalanta. Cavani would be on that the second it hit the post to tap it in, instead Rashford stood and slept on it.

There's of course minor moments, like when he went out of his way to stand up for Greenwood when we played Rome. It may not be a massive thing, but moments like these stick out, and when you're a player like Edi who everyone know is here only for a short term, they will remember moments like that. Edi signing for a second season, postponing his long awaited return to South America was much more of a sacrifice than people might legitimately appreciate (or care about because he makes money), but for those that do know it just solidifies the character of the man.

The combination of timing, term and effort has all the makings of a cult hero, and Cavani will certainly be remembered as someone we all should have wanted here for a decade.

RUCK4444

Because he's an actual relentless hound that is willing to break his face to help the team.

He earns accolades not because of the goals, but because of the person he is. He's a player who is really easy to like. Through his exceptional workrate, willingness to defend from a forward position and can-do attitude.

For example: That ball form McTominay that hit the post vs. Atalanta. Cavani would be on that the second it hit the post to tap it in, instead Rashford stood and slept on it.

There's of course minor moments, like when he went out of his way to stand up for Greenwood when we played Rome. It may not be a massive thing, but moments like these stick out, and when you're a player like Edi who everyone know is here only for a short term, they will remember moments like that. Edi signing for a second season, postponing his long awaited return to South America was much more of a sacrifice than people might legitimately appreciate (or care about because he makes money), but for those that do know it just solidifies the character of the man.

The combination of timing, term and effort has all the makings of a cult hero, and Cavani will certainly be remembered as someone we all should have wanted here for a decade.

This. Putting the ball in the net is always important but he brings more than just that.

His attitude and desire in every game is fecking spot on. Exactly what you want to see from ANY player, striker or otherwise, that pulls on the shirt.

That simple really. I have no doubt if we had signed him at the time he went to PSG he would have been a huge signing for us, he’s already a cult hero and I’m gutted we didn’t get a chunk of his peak in a United shirt. Brilliant player, one of the very best strikers of the last decade and his attitude is second to none of them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Cavani and RVN are not same type. Cavani played as wide forward for years and did very well.

Anyways going by your posts it looks like you never watched Cavani before he joined ManUtd.

devips

Edinson Cavani is one player who brings back to me the fading romance and passion of football.

I am so happy he is a Manchester United player.

youngrell

It's instances like this (https://www.manutd.com/en/videos/detail/cavani-closing-down-opponent-man-utd-v-villarreal) that get the fans onboard. Nobody else (aside from maybe Bruno) in our squad does this. It's the type of infectious energy that really helps the team. Tevez was similar.

And Cavani has real quality too. I think you (@Jeppers7) are doing him a disservice by judging his first full season here. The first half was constantly interrupted by injury or bans, not to mention overall fitness at the beginning after a long lay off. He showed his true colours in the second half when he was up to speed, although he showed plenty of flashes prior to that too.

He's not without fault of course, his touch can be a bit loose at times, but you tend to forgive things like that when the effort on show to make up for it is evident.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Fair enough everyone….still a bit underwhelmed in proportion to everyone else. I’m not seeing Roy Keane here or Park Ji Sung, as for him being there to finish off all these little chances….he hasn’t scored that many himself.

But I accept I’m way in the minority. Interesting to get more insight into what I’m missing.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Fair enough everyone….still a bit underwhelmed in proportion to everyone else. I’m not seeing Roy Keane here or Park Ji Sung, as for him being there to finish off all these little chances….he hasn’t scored that many himself.

But I accept I’m way in the minority. Interesting to get more insight into what I’m missing.
He's a cult hero, people have a greater emotional connection to him than other players. I think that is OK. People loved to see players who clearly play for the shirt when they play.

Are people overstating his impact and importance? I think so. He only has been available to play a limited number of minutes. For every game where's been a difference maker, he's had another where's had limited impact and underwhelmed. He's definitely done better than I expected here, but highlights how much we have benefitted from a bonafide centre forward, hence why I was delighted that we got Ronaldo too.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yes….for me he will be remembered like Larsson. Like a good player in the twilight of his career who played for us for a while. The end.

Unless he actually does something of note this season.
I agree with you that unless we win anything that's how he will ultimately be remembered. Fondly, no legend stuff or Robbo comparisons (which only you make).

Regarding signing him earlier, context is relevant:

1) His output and attitude would absolutely have been far far better than we got these years from Martial, Lukaku or a spent RVP/Rooney if we go back a bit further. People would have liked Larsson a bit longer, but we didn't need him, did we?. Blanc earlier? We had Stam and got Rio after. We've lacked a proper, mobile and hardworking centreforward for the best part of a decade.

2) He WAS gettable. His name was consistently ON the table re moves to Chelsea/Us. Only time he was definitely out of bounds was at PSG from Zlatan's exit to Neymar's arrival. That wasn't true of, say, a fit peak Schweinsteiger or Ronaldo himself (whom many are saying they wish had returned here instead of going to Juve).

3) We are pretty fed up with sulking primadonnas and agents talking shite. Do you even know who is Cavani's agent? I don't. I'm actually Uruguayan but never heard of him.

4) Ole's "bizarre words" make his case in a nutshell: imagine the crap mood on the first training session after getting roasted by Liverpool. That is EXACTLY where attitude, leadership and a winning mentality shine through. No fingerpointing, no woe is me, back to work, simple really.

How can you possibly not appreciate that or understand how our fans do?

And yes, we are a distinctly better team with a proper centreforward. It just smacks you in the face every single time. Defences look far less comfortable/impenetrable, other players get more space and time on the ball and his pressing recovers balls or forces rivals into errors we recover it from. Pretty sure Cristiano scored one if not two of his goals from such situations.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I agree with you that unless we win anything that's how he will ultimately be remembered. Fondly, no legend stuff or Robbo comparisons (which only you make).

Regarding signing him earlier, context is relevant:

1) His output and attitude would absolutely have been far far better than we got these years from Martial, Lukaku or a spent RVP/Rooney if we go back a bit further. People would have liked Larsson a bit longer, but we didn't need him, did we?. Blanc earlier? We had Stam and got Rio after. We've lacked a proper, mobile and hardworking centreforward for the best part of a decade.

2) He WAS gettable. His name was consistently ON the table re moves to Chelsea/Us. Only time he was definitely out of bounds was at PSG from Zlatan's exit to Neymar's arrival. That wasn't true of, say, a fit peak Schweinsteiger or Ronaldo himself (whom many are saying they wish had returned here instead of going to Juve).

3) We are pretty fed up with sulking primadonnas and agents talking shite. Do you even know who is Cavani's agent? I don't. I'm actually Uruguayan but never heard of him.

4) Ole's "bizarre words" make his case in a nutshell: imagine the crap mood on the first training session after getting roasted by Liverpool. That is EXACTLY where attitude, leadership and a winning mentality shine through. No fingerpointing, no woe is me, back to work, simple really.

How can you possibly not appreciate that or understand how our fans do?

And yes, we are a distinctly better team with a proper centreforward. It just smacks you in the face every single time. Defences look far less comfortable/impenetrable, other players get more space and time on the ball and his pressing recovers balls or forces rivals into errors we recover it from. Pretty sure Cristiano scored one if not two of his goals from such situations.
Fair points disagree with us being distinctly better. Not the players fault necessarily but that is simply not true.

antohan

Fair points disagree with us being distinctly better. Not the players fault necessarily but that is simply not true.
We are, unless you mean playing Leeds or teams that come at us and leave themselves wide open. Ole quite successfully got on the wheel off that one trick with a rapid trio of forwards.

Problem is, 70% of the time we play against low blocks and all that falls on its arse and we constantly run into a brickwall. That's where we run into trouble and look distinctly better with Edi.

I saw you mentioned Rooney-Tevez-CR7 as a frontline that worked without any being limited to a striker role. True, I loved that about them and it is decidedly better than anything we've seen since. However, Martial-Rashford-Greenwood can't reproduce that. None have CR7s trickery, nor Rooney/Tevez workrate, nor their combined movement. Movement isn't interchanging/swapping sides, it's pulling defenders all over the place all game long, which they really don't do, or approach in rather predictable ways.

They aren't as complete/finished article, which is to be expected at their age. Who's going to turn them into that though? Not Ole, not Carrick, not anyone I could see in our setup. At least now we have two vastly experienced players which can help us with that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can’t wait for his statue :drool:

You mentioned Martial there, it got me thinking, is Jeppers this negative to Cavani cause he still harbours some hope that Martial should see those minutes and magically turn into something incredible. Does he hate Cavani being loved for his attitude and work rate because it’s the polar opposite of Martial’s ?

A quick search confirms it, the man stills thinks Martial could be part of an amazing fluid front 3 and thinks he’d link incredibly well with Sancho.
There you have it I guess, confirmation bias at it’s very finest and most obvious.

You’re doing them on a weekly basis, simply because you can’t understand why you’re in the tiny minority, that’s the definition of being a whine
That’s attacking you? :lol:

That’s exactly what attacking the posts is man. Where’s the personal attack? The insult?

Maybe referring to you as “you” and your posts are “yours” are insults.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You mentioned Martial there, it got me thinking, is Jeppers this negative to Cavani cause he still harbours some hope that Martial should see those minutes and magically turn into something incredible. Does he hate Cavani being loved for his attitude and work rate because it’s the polar opposite of Martial’s ?

A quick search confirms it, the man stills thinks Martial could be part of an amazing fluid front 3 and thinks he’d link incredibly well with Sancho.
There you have it I guess, confirmation bias at it’s very finest and most obvious.
Calm your tits. I'm sure Jeppers doesn't 'hate' Cavani and just because he has a different opinion doesn't mean it's okay to attack him.

IIRC you accused me of having an agenda when I said Maguire's ability on the ball was bang average.

Anyway, Cavani is awesome and @Jeppers7 has bad taste. I'm sure he also listens to Coldplay :)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
We are, unless you mean playing Leeds or teams that come at us and leave themselves wide open. Ole quite successfully got on the wheel off that one trick with a rapid trio of forwards.

Problem is, 70% of the time we play against low blocks and all that falls on its arse and we constantly run into a brickwall. That's where we run into trouble and look distinctly better with Edi.

I saw you mentioned Rooney-Tevez-CR7 as a frontline that worked without any being limited to a striker role. True, I loved that about them and it is decidedly better than anything we've seen since. However, Martial-Rashford-Greenwood can't reproduce that. None have CR7s trickery, nor Rooney/Tevez workrate, nor their combined movement. Movement isn't interchanging/swapping sides, it's pulling defenders all over the place all game long, which they really don't do, or approach in rather predictable ways.

They aren't as complete/finished article, which is to be expected at their age. Who's going to turn them into that though? Not Ole, not Carrick, not anyone I could see in our setup. At least now we have two vastly experienced players which can help us with that.
Listen it’s all about opinions. I haven’t seen us play better with Cavani. To me it’s been the same old. Our best football for me under Ole came in his interim period and after the lockdown. Far and away the best we’ve been at attacking consistently.

Listen it’s all about opinions. I haven’t seen us play better with Cavani. To me it’s been the same old. Our best football for me under Ole came in his interim period and after the lockdown. Far and away the best we’ve been at attacking consistently.
It’s all much of a muchness to me. Periods of shite and periods of decent form, with all systems and all different types of players.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That’s attacking you? :lol:

That’s exactly what attacking the posts is man. Where’s the personal attack? The insult?

Maybe referring to you as “you” and your posts are “yours” are insults.
The difference between ‘being’ (the person) and ‘doing’ (the post)

Just stick to the discussion. It’s fine to disagree.

Just stick to the discussion. It’s fine to disagree.
I’ve not once gone off track. I’m sticking so much to the discussion I’m actually attempting to find the root of your confirm bias on this.
It appears it stems from a desperation and belief that we should play a fluid front three and that we’re better like that, and you don’t see Cavani fitting there. That frustrates you, coupled with you looking at Cavani’s goal contributions in black and white, rather than looking at how he was benched for Martial last season when not 100% up to speed, how he then got hit with a harsh ban, then an injury. Yet despite that he did finish the final couple of months as one of, if not our best player.
His goals this year have suffered again because despite being possibly our best player at the tail end of last season, he’s been dumped to the bench again.
What’s most remarkable is that be it Ronaldo, or Martial, he just cracks on. What’s not to love about a player who loses his spot and number, yet rather than sulk puts in the best training performance a manager has seen followed by a cracking game and goal?

I’d suggest in order to understand why he’s so liked, concentrate more on his attitude to training, to being unfairly dropped, to workrate on the pitch. Fans adore that, and when he’s gotten a run in the team, he’s provided some cracking moments too.
In a squad with the likes of Pogba and Martial, it’s refreshing, and almost surprising considering it’s a guy who’s already achieved so much and proven himself time and time again throughout his career.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

I’ve actually given up on Martial. But he’s certainly more of the ‘type’ of player I prefer, skilful fast, capable of quick interchanges and can play in multiple positions. I’m also big on building teams that function well and players who complement each other. While I’m not saying it would make a great team, we will never know, but I think VDB, Sancho and Martial would compliment each other’s games. Sadly our manager doesn’t seem to plan that far and buys players for no reason and sticks players on the pitch regardless of whether they complement each other.

If I’m honest I’ve always found it strange that grown men like a footballer for anything other than his performances and ability. Workrate alone does nothing for me unless it’s accompanied by ability and great performances.

BlueHaze

Ok first of all are you old enough to remember Rooney, Tevez? Secondly he might be a current great, but he isn’t an all time great of football. It’s these mass hyperbole’s that I don’t get. He won’t be in the top fifty strikers of all time and in addition to that when reflecting on his actual performances for United he’ll be well down the list, an afterthought.
Yes I thought about mentioning Rooney in the first post as he was the only other one who came to mind and obv not gonna bother mentioning tevez.. It's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day anyway but with the amount of goals Edi has scored throughout his career (270 and counting for club and 53 for Uruguay) he goes down as an all time great for me.

You are underrating him imo.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’ve not once gone off track. I’m sticking so much to the discussion I’m actually attempting to find the root of your confirm bias on this.
It appears it stems from a desperation and belief that we should play a fluid front three and that we’re better like that, and you don’t see Cavani fitting there.

I’d suggest in order to understand why he’s so liked, concentrate more on his attitude to training, to being unfairly dropped, to workrate on the pitch. Fans adore that, and when he’s gotten a run in the team, he’s provided some cracking moments too.
In a squad with the likes of Pogba and Martial, it’s refreshing, and almost surprising considering it’s a guy who’s already achieved so much and proven himself time and time again throughout his career.
No....I don’t think he’s been anything more than fine in his time here. That’s what baffles me. He hasn’t been great. He’s done very little in my opinion and gets talked about like he’s some kind of hero.

Everything else you want to write has nothing to do with it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Calm your tits. I'm sure Jeppers doesn't 'hate' Cavani and just because he has a different opinion doesn't mean it's okay to attack him.

IIRC you accused me of having an agenda when I said Maguire's ability on the ball was bang average.

Anyway, Cavani is awesome and @Jeppers7 has bad taste. I'm sure he also listens to Coldplay :)
:lol: :lol: I’ll give you that (but no I don’t)

antohan

I'm talking with/without in the same seasons.

As I said, the interim was great, Ole at the wheel and all that. Counter-attacking football in oceans of space, love it, much more pleasing than watching us under LvG.

Problem with counter-attacking football is when those cheating bastards on the other side choose not to attack you. How dare they? Bastards!

But we are Man United, we can't just sit back and play out a bore draw, we have to take the initiative then. Cue endless cut in and shoot, running into traffic and passing the ball to feet from side to side with feck all idea what to do with it. That has been our norm against low blocks, you need movement in the box and defenders minding their backs.

the_cliff

I like Martial and think he's immensely talented, but he'd do well to end up with half the goals Cavani scored in his career. When Cavani was Martials age he was banging in 38 goals in all competitions for Napoli.

Status
Not open for further replies.