Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

welshwingwizard

After two games together?
I agree they shouldn't be together but not because of composure. I just don't think Smalling organises the defence and Bailly is new and French speaking (I believe) so can't be expected to do this yet.

Its no surprise that Bailly has looked good with Blind (as did Smalling last season) and that our defence didn't give a lot away last season.

Blind is just very intelligent and organises the defence well. Have to put someone capable of doing this in defence and midfield in my opinion.

I would play both Blind and Carrick in the team from now on.

Walters_19_MuFc

I agree they shouldn't be together but not because of composure. I just don't think Smalling organises the defence and Bailly is new and French speaking (I believe) so can't be expected to do this yet.

Its no surprise that Bailly has looked good with Blind (as did Smalling last season) and that our defence didn't give a lot away last season.

Blind is just very intelligent and organises the defence well. Have to put someone capable of doing this in defence and midfield in my opinion.

I would play both Blind and Carrick in the team from now on.
He's looked good with Blind against Bournemouth, Southampton and Hull, however, they weren't really much of a test. Our first real test came against City, and they failed miserably. Today, Watford, with Deeney and Ighalo, really tested our defence physically, and I can't imagine it would have been that much different had Blind been playing.

Ban

He needs to be dropped for who?
Smalling who was bad also.
We have a big problem on our hand.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He needs to be dropped for who?
Smalling who was bad also.
We have a big problem on our hand.
He needs to play next to Blind, hopefully Mourinho realises that today

welshwingwizard

He's looked good with Blind against Bournemouth, Southampton and Hull, however, they weren't really much of a test. Our first real test came against City, and they failed miserably. Today, Watford, with Deeney and Ighalo, really tested our defence physically, and I can't imagine it would have been that much different had Blind been playing.
Perhaps you are right. Our midfield is an issue that is bound to be having an impact on how much is getting through to our defence.

But I don't think Blind was too bad against City. The whole team was playing poorly and off the mark in the first half.

And crucially Blind is the only one who organises our defence at the moment. Smalling, as good as he is, needs someone next to him to sort him out.

We don't look tight and prepared.

Walters_19_MuFc

Perhaps you are right. Our midfield is an issue that is bound to be having an impact on how much is getting through to our defence.

But I don't think Blind was too bad against City. The whole team was playing poorly and off the mark in the first half.

And crucially Blind is the only one who organises our defence at the moment. Smalling, as good as he is, needs someone next to him to sort him out.

We don't look tight and prepared.
True. I would prefer to with Smalling/Blind, rather than Bailly/Blind, though

3KDré

He is getting no protection. Might have been a bad game but I have faith in him.

Ban

He needs to play next to Blind, hopefully Mourinho realises that today
Yeah but Blind was bad vs City and although he's good at CB he tends to have those 'pussy' moments or positioning problems too.

Raw

Didn't he have a late fitness test? Maybe one reason why he looked so poor today.

Not really liking this theme of injured players coming back too early, did it with Mkhi too.

Cassidy

Yeah but Blind was bad vs City and although he's good at CB he tends to have those 'pussy' moments or positioning problems too.
He wasnt bad, he made a few errors but so did Bailly

Cassidy

One of which costed us a goal. And it was comical too.
Yes Bailly also made a mistake in the same play, but lets ignore that. Why not drop them both ey

Ban

Yes Bailly also made a mistake in the same play, but lets ignore that. Why not drop them both ey
That's the problem I was talking about.
Blind and Bailly making mistakes. Then we start Smalling who's looking just as bad.

Cassidy

That's the problem I was talking about.
Blind and Bailly making mistakes. Then we start Smalling who's looking just as bad.
I don't think you get where I was coming from. Bailly/Blind is a partnership that complements each other. I'm not so sure that Bailly/Smalling is.
Blind is very intelligent and will cover from the more aggressive partner. I also don't believe in dropping/breaking up a working partnership after one mistake. Especially when they have only played 5/6 games together.

I think tactically if we play Smalling/Bailly then you cannot play Fellaini in front as none of them can dictate the play from deep and so we cannot control the game. Tactically its a very big mistake from Jose and it cost us today

saivet

I personally think that Smalling-Bailly should go on to be our first choice defence, but if we're not going to play a proper playmaker in midfield then we really do need Blind in there.
Wonder if Jose will ever put Blind in midfield

Born2Lose

A poor game, but still our most impressive CB so far this season in spite of him playing in a new league. He'll improve, and I suspect eventually Mourinho will realise he needs to buy someone else to play alongside him.

You'd struggle today to say which CB was 26 and which was 22.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Wonder if Jose will ever put Blind in midfield
Yep, that's the other option I'd be interested in seeing. Like I mentioned in another thread, I didn't like Blind in midfield in his first season, but his overall performances have improved enough since then that I do wonder how he'd go in midfield now. If Mourinho really doesn't think Carrick has it in him anymore, than Blind is really the only other option.

Ban

I don't think you get where I was coming from. Bailly/Blind is a partnership that complements each other. I'm not so sure that Bailly/Smalling is.
Blind is very intelligent and will cover from the more aggressive partner. I also don't believe in dropping/breaking up a working partnership after one mistake. Especially when they have only played 5/6 games together.

I think tactically if we play Smalling/Bailly then you cannot play Fellaini in front as none of them can dictate the play from deep and so we cannot control the game. Tactically its a very big mistake from Jose and it cost us today
Can't disagree. They need good cover too. I just think we need another CB cause cover for Blind and Bailly is basically just Smalling. That's nearly not enough and Bailly is gonna play Africa cup of nations in the winter.

Orange Tree

After two games together?
^
From two games together and general observation. Both lack the ability to build from the back line. They need someone who would offer a short option and pass the ball forward, which Fellaini doesn't do.
Carrick would have been great, but his leg is pretty much gone. I don't see anyone else in the squad that can do that role.... aside from Bfs, the outcast.

Hence why Blind is my first choice at the CB position.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

The United

It would be funny though if it is true that either of him and smalling looks good because blind plays next to them.

We will see more how it goes, I guess.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think maybe Mourinho underestimated Watford truthfully, as you said there was no one to dictate play.
Even when Manchester had periods of possession, I never felt like they were probing or passing with purpose. As if the actual tactic was just individual brilliance or something.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Trust the Caf to keep things in perspective after a bad game.
Young foreign kid, new to the league and already forewarned that he will needs months and a little patience to adjust .... And what do our fans do? Demand he play consistently like Baresi from game no 1 and throw all our toys out of the pram because he has the expected wobble in game no 5.

Honestly, the self entitlement and over reactions of fans on here is really quite embarrassing.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
First bad game, in a game where the entire team were a shambles. Nothing to loose sleep over.

I'd actually prefer to see a better CB beside him than Smalling or Blind.

Jaybomb

Blind needs to be beside him. He's the only defender we've got with tactical awareness, intelligence and positioning. I can't believe Blind was dropped after the City game because of one freak goal.

Chris Smalling has started two matches in a row now and we've lost both. He's rubbish. I always said it. He has no brain, he can't read the game and sense the danger like Blind can. We should have cashed in on his "decent" season and shipped him off to West Ham or somewhere. Him and Jones will never be United quality, in my opinion.

Mike09

I have already said this so many times. Smalling and Blind. They have already built that partnership since last season and let's not ruin it especially that now we have better full backs than Darmian and Rojo. Bailly is still too raw and I don't understand why didn't he win the ball from the first place for third goal. Smalling would have outmuscle that player easily. But I haven't write Bailly off, he has talent but at the moment he has so much to learn.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think Baily really does need someone to help him through a game a bit - like some people have said already... and can barely help himself through a game, let alone Baily. Problem is, Blind will have games like he has against City... hell, there's no guarentee we'd have done any better yesterday if Blind was playing at CB considering his performance against Deeny and Igahlo at Old Trafford last season.

Part of me really wishes the Fonte rumours had been true... think he - or someone in his mould - would have been a good head to have had back there.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He's 22 for feck sake. He's going to have good games and bad games in equal measure until he matures.

He needs a leader next to him more than anything. A Rio/Vidic/Terry type to partner him is what's needed.

Man Utd 4:1 Leicester

Rossa

Faster than Vardy! Not bad. That's why having him and Smalling as a combo may be so effective - no strikers can outrun them, which enables us to sit higher up the pitch. Helps having a very good Herrera in front as well.

Immense again today. Barely even noticed Vardy other than his diving.

Status
Not open for further replies.