Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Name Changed

weso26
I thought he was fine. It was a nothing challenge that got him the second yellow. Personally I wouldn't want him prancing around when on a yellow card. I'd rather see him continue to win the ball back as much as possible.

NinjaFletch

Plenty agree with me in the thread, why would you even pretend otherwise?

And if you don't want to enter a debate with someone, don't quote them in the first place? :confused:
Hyperbole, nothing more.

I didn't really think there was a debate to be had to be honest. You've manufactured one out of thin air, but I'll try again. I think it was a foul, but I don't think it was a yellow. I think Bailly can be rash and can improve this part of his game, and that its further evidence of a little bit of naivety that better players can exploit.

His challenge today was needless and a bit daft and, although he shouldn't have been sent off for it, its part of a pattern thats been obvious since he arrived. I'm not criticising him because he got sent off, thats on the referee, but it merely shone a light on an issue with Bailly that has already been remarked upon on here. Not a huge issue either, mind (as I've said in every single post virtually), but an area where he can do better. Better for him to learn from this now than get himself sent off in a game where it might actually matters.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hyperbole, nothing more.

I didn't really think there was a debate to be had to be honest. You've manufactured one out of thin air, but I'll try again. I think it was a foul, but I don't think it was a yellow. I think Bailly can be rash and can improve this part of his game, and that its further evidence of a little bit of naivety that better players can exploit.

His challenge today was needless and a bit daft and, although he shouldn't have been sent off for it, its part of a pattern thats been obvious since he arrived. I'm not criticising him because he got sent off, thats on the referee, but it merely shone a light on an issue with Bailly that has already been remarked upon on here. Not a huge issue either, mind (as I've said in every single post virtually), and an area where he can do better. Better for him to learn from this now than get himself sent off in a game where it might actually matters.
You can call it hyperbole if you like.

There's a debate to be had, if you didn't disagree with what I had to say then why would you quote me?

To clarify: The challenge he made was not malicious, dangerous, preventing a chance nor was it after being warned for multiple fouls. When you consider all of this, how on earth is it rash as you have stated? No single aspect of his challenge could be categorised as such yet it's still being leveled at him. Nothing about that challenge was naïve or daft. It's not a difficult point to comprehend, I don't know why you're struggling with it so much..

Ole'sbodyguard

Yes he can be rash, but do we want him to make no challenges when he's on a yellow? It's a nothing challenge, there's no reason why he shouldn't try to win the ball, he should never have been in any danger of being sent off. It's bad refereeing.
In the circumstances of this match, when we are comfortably winning and we are comfortably into the next round and he has already been booked, then yes. A defender trying to win the ball coming from behind a forward player is always risking making a foul and receiving a booking if they mistime the tackle. All he had to do was hold his position and put pressure on the player when he was trying to hold up the ball. Completely pointless risk trying to win the ball there. This is the type of thing that will come with experience.

ivaldo

In the circumstances of this match, when we are comfortably winning and we are comfortably into the next round and he has already been booked, then yes. A defender trying to win the ball coming from behind a forward player is always risking making a foul and receiving a booking if they mistime the tackle. All he had to do was hold his position and put pressure on the player when he was trying to hold up the ball. Completely pointless risk trying to win the ball there. This is the type of thing that will come with experience.
He didn't come from behind. The tackle was from the side, he didn't come through the player.

NinjaFletch

To clarify: The challenge he made was not malicious, dangerous, preventing a chance nor was it after being warned for multiple fouls.
I'm sorry but I must have missed the part where I said it was any of these things. Surely you can find someone who actually thinks the things you want to argue about rather than project an opinion onto me?

Ole'sbodyguard

He didn't come from behind. The tackle was from the side, he didn't come through the player.
I don't the fact he is coming from the side makes any difference because at all times he is behind the forward player and is trying to nick the ball ahead of him, so the effect is very similar. The player is directly ahead of him when he attempts to win the ball and Bailly is at all time behind the player who has got ahead of him so he has caught him from and trying to get ahead of him. The fact that he is coming from the side does not change the above point. He does not come through the player as such and more catches him on the ankle but he does not win the ball and is risking a fairly standard booking for a centre back. I think you got be a lot smarter on a yellow as a centre back on a yellow?

Are you honestly trying to say you have not seen defenders booked for these types of challenges, especially in European football. As soon as he made the challenge I though there was a good chance he was going to get carded, whether you disagree with the decision of the ref or not.

ivaldo

I'm sorry but I must have missed the part where I said it was any of these things. Surely you can find someone who actually thinks the things you want to argue about rather than project an opinion onto me?
No you didn't say any of those things, in fact you have given no reason whatsoever for it to be considered rash. How do you not get this?

ivaldo

I don't the fact he is coming from the side makes any difference because at all times he is behind the forward player and is trying to nick the ball ahead of him, so the effect is very similar. The player is directly ahead of him when he attempts to win the ball and Bailly is at all time behind the player who has got ahead of him so he has caught him from and trying to get ahead of him. The fact that he is coming from the side does not change the above point. He does not come through the player as such and more catches him on the ankle but he does not win the ball and is risking a fairly standard booking for a centre back. I think you got be a lot smarter on a yellow as a centre back on a yellow.
You're moving the goal posts here. You've just said outlined the consequences of a challenge from behind and when it's pointed out to you it was from the side you've morphed your answer.

He tried to nick the ball in front of the player and caught the players toe when he has followed through with his pass. Watch the challenge again and you'll see.

No one has said it was a booking as far as I can see. No posters, no pundits, not even opposition fans. if absolutely no one agrees with the ref then how is it anything but removed from a yellow card offense?

NinjaFletch

No you didn't say any of those things, in fact you have given no reason whatsoever for it to be considered rash. How do you not get this?
In future if you want someone to expand on something you could try asking them rather than getting annoyed about an argument you've created for them.

ivaldo

In future if you want someone to expand on something you could try asking them rather than getting annoyed about an argument you've created for them.
I'm not the one getting annoyed, nor defensive. It's pretty evident that something more than a vague notion is required when you're discussing the finer details of an issue. Of course you know that, you're just looking for ways to avoid addressing the point at hand. Why don't you try and qualify your point as I have, instead of skirting it?

TsuWave

It's amazing how one undeserved (second) yellow card can see a player's stock fall so low. Maybe he can play a blinder on the weekend and go back to being our best CB again :)
already talk of low football IQ and being more lovren than vidic, as well as "shaky" even though he was one of the best performers for us today :lol:

Acole9

Outstanding
The first challenge was stupid, the second the ref got conned by that Saint Etienne player who was feigning injury all night.

Kag

Hyperbole, nothing more.

His challenge today was needless and a bit daft and, although he shouldn't have been sent off for it, its part of a pattern thats been obvious since he arrived. I'm not criticising him because he got sent off, thats on the referee, but it merely shone a light on an issue with Bailly that has already been remarked upon on here. Not a huge issue either, mind (as I've said in every single post virtually), but an area where he can do better. Better for him to learn from this now than get himself sent off in a game where it might actually matters.
Spot on, this.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Two stand-out performances in a row against St.Ettiene.

Wrong reasons of course.

Sylar

I thought it was a poor decision... but only after seeing the replay. My first reaction from the first view was, thats a silly challenge to make given we were in game management mode. There was no need on the half way line, on a yellow card, whilst leading to do that. Especially so soon after the first.

I hope he learns from it (much like Rojo has hopefully learnt no more two footed tackles :lol:)
Hopefully the draw for the next round is kind to us so we dont miss him too much.

The United

He was always a work in progress with a lot of potential but also some serious flaws. The natural excitement and honey moon period that comes with a new signing, especially in our case after the frustrations of last year, made people overrate his start for us.
Pretty much this. Most football fans are fickle though.

People overhype new players when they perform decently. Then next season when they have a bit of a hard time, some would write them off and hope for new signing to get excited.

Rinse and repeat.

Fracture90

He's so rash, and we love that about him, but he needs to be more careful.

Was that 2ND yellow justified or not is irrelevant IMO, Bailly shouldn't have been that aggressive when he's on a yellow card already.

He's great potential but needs to work on his composure.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He's a defender that likes to attack the ball, and try to nick the ball off opponents as early as possible and sometimes this can get him into trouble. He was always going to get a red card at some point, so that's not surprising. It's just a shame that it was a soft second yellow that did it, but he should know when to curb his natural instincts a bit - when the game is won and you're already on a yellow, there really is no need to be charging down attackers at the half-way line.

That said, that tackle he did was a thing a beauty. That or Pogba's outrageous flick over the defender were the stand out moments of the game for me.

Ekeke

I've pointed out his rashness before, even when he was playing well and receiving so much praise. However, I think he was very unlucky with the 2nd yellow.

Globule

I thought he was fine. It was a nothing challenge that got him the second yellow. Personally I wouldn't want him prancing around when on a yellow card. I'd rather see him continue to win the ball back as much as possible.
The tie was over as a contest, St Etienne didn't look like creating a decent chance, the player was near the half way line. It's not about wanting him to prance around, but to be sensible and manage the game properly.

ti vu

I've pointed out his rashness before, even when he was playing well and receiving so much praise. However, I think he was very unlucky with the 2nd yellow.
He is rash as we all know, but seem to like his weakness shown in trying to play a boring game & see out the game. The second yellow is harsh, but the first one is very unnecessary. It's like the other some posters said in De Gea thread awhile ago, some GKs are awesome when kept busy, but couldn't keep their concentration with the lack of work. Bailly seems to get similar problem. Seem to try too hard in situation where doing simple thing would work.

Last edited:

wiz4231

Funny how Rafael got slaughtered on here for the same reason (Leicester 5-3), rashness but here Bailly is being Defended. It's okay to be aggressive but not rash or clumsy whilst doing it and playing for big club like UTD you have to use your head when your already on a yellow. Something he needs to improve. We've seen improvement in this regard before in Smalling after he got sent off against city, I hope Bailly can learn from his mistake.
Before anyone says the referee was conned or it wasn't even a foul, giving the referee a reason or a decision to make is stupidity, ala Rafael.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Funny how Rafael got slaughtered on here for the same reason (Leicester 5-3), rashness but here Bailly is being Defended. It's okay to be aggressive but not rash or clumsy whilst doing it and playing for big club like UTD you have to use your head when your already on a yellow. Something he needs to improve. We've seen improvement in this regard before in Smalling after he got sent off against city, I hope Bailly can learn from his mistake.
Before anyone says the referee was conned or it wasn't even a foul, giving the referee a reason or a decision to make is stupidity, ala Rafael.
Eh? What you on about? The referee was slaughtered for not calling Vardy's assault on him and then calling Vardy's obvious dive and Rafa's minimum contact a penalty.

Name Changed

weso26
The tie was over as a contest, St Etienne didn't look like creating a decent chance, the player was near the half way line. It's not about wanting him to prance around, but to be sensible and manage the game properly.
I disagree. I don't want him shirking tackles just because we are winning.

Globule

I disagree. I don't want him shirking tackles just because we are winning.
If he hadn't tackled that player for his second yellow it wouldn't be shirking, it would be playing sensibly. Shirking would be when he needs to make a tackle and doesn't. He put himself into a tackle because that's his way of playing, but he should know that there's not always a need to play that way.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Eh? What you on about? The referee was slaughtered for not calling Vardy's assault on him and then calling Vardy's obvious dive and Rafa's minimum contact a penalty.
Both of them were rash and both of them punished as a result.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Both of them were rash and both of them punished as a result.
Nah I don't agree with that at all. I had a lot of criticism for Rafael when he was here but that Vardy penalty was absolutely farcical:

From 3:13

He charges Rafael off the ball with a drooped shoulder and extends his elbow as he connects, it's as clear a foul as you like. Rafael then gets up as quickly as he can and is running around him, making no attempt at a challenge when Vardy suddenly throws himself to the ground in front of Rafael. It was an absolute joke that he gave it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nah I don't agree with that at all. I had a lot of criticism for Rafael when he was here but that Vardy penalty was absolutely farcical:

From 3:13

He charges Rafael off the ball with a drooped shoulder and extends his elbow as he connects, it's as clear a foul as you like. Rafael then gets up as quickly as he can and is running around him, making no attempt at a challenge when Vardy suddenly throws himself to the ground in front of Rafael. It was an absolute joke that he gave it.
Gah. That video. Feck you for making me watch it. The last two years in a nut-shell.

We've got great players! Look how good they are! OMG we're back! What the? Hold on. That wasn't supposed to happen. What the hell are they doing?! Oh dear. We're shit aren't we? :(

ivaldo

Both of them put themselves in a situation with a high risk of a negative outcome when there wasn't any need to do so.
A player running into our box with a ball always requires action. Both of them ensured they did not act rashly in any way, merely carry out their responsibilities as players.

Last edited:

frank lee madeer..

Bailly is what he is. A young cb with potential. Thats it .Hes got a way to go to justify the plaudits he recieves from many on here.

JoaquinJoaquin

Been terrible today. Hoofing long ball and losing his man constantly. Hasn't been the same since coming back from AFCON

Status
Not open for further replies.