Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
All over the place again. Not overly worried, but he really needs to calm down.
Yeah, Rojo is getting battered for his performance but Bailly has made two costly errors where he's lost track of his marker. He was lucky only one of them ended up being punished.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He looks panicked. Maybe he's just not used to big games? Has looked under severe pressure against St Etienne and Southampton. Looks close to bottling it constantly.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
His form and concentration hasn't been up to the level it should be for a few games now.

Kag

I might be reading too much into it but it looked ominous from the first kick of the game when he needlessly booted the ball out of play under no pressure. It's just nerves.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not at his best today or in the EL game. Surprising given how well he played before the AFCON. Needs to improve.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Him losing Gabbiadini on the goal was abysmal. He's all over the place at the minute.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think it's fair to say people got a little bit carried away with the world class claims. Immense potential but he still has a long way to go.

BarstoolProphet

Why did he decide it was a good time to practice his running man dance routine while Southampton were crossing the ball into the box? Mindfeck.

James_42

Looks all over the place along with Rojo, I know he is young and has lots of potental but he doesn't seem to be improving. He has actually gone backwards compared to his earlier performances in the season

izec

Not the same player he was before the injury/Africa Cup. Needs to focus again, looks all over the place.

Arka_BleedingRed

Maybe, it might be the fact that he is partnering Smalling, who along with Rojo was the worst of our back four today. Smalling was the one who was supposed to mark Gabbiadini and couldn't.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Maybe, it might be the fact that he is partnering Smalling, who along with Rojo was the worst of our back four today. Smalling was the one who was supposed to mark Gabbiadini and couldn't.
He's had some very good games alongside Smalling too earlier on the season, Bailly's poor performance is down to him solely, avoidable mistakes.

m1y2

Let's be honest he was pretty awful lately, not really Tyler Blackett case but it was clear form what he showed that he has a lot to learn, so I could only laugh at ppl who said he's by far our best CB, which is bullshit, potantially yes, but long way to go for a 22yo..

His distribution is so overrated, seemed like he couldn't hit the good pass all day, hoofed it when he shouldnt too, his aerial game needs a lot of refining too, he's like a beast but often mistimes his jump, do much to learn young boy, hopefully mourinho will make him the player we want him to be but let's not overrate him please..

m1y2

He's been cack the last couple of games.

Am I the only one who thinks Smalling creates uncertainty all around him? Hell of a player at his very best but he's been ever-present in all our worst defensive displays of the last few years.
why trying to find excuses, he's simply off, Smalling has nothing to do with him, sure the CB pairs needs to gel but it's his performances which are worrying not somone¨s else

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
why trying to find excuses, he's simply off, Smalling has nothing to do with him, sure the CB pairs needs to gel but it's his performances which are worrying not somone¨s else
I'm not making excuses. I said he was cack. I'm just making an observation about Smalling and the way there's so often a sense of panic in back fours he's a part of.

KjaAnd

He was awful today. As was he against Saint Etienne. I don't know if he's tired after the AFCON but the pairing of him and a nervy Smalling is recipe for disaster. Add Rojo at LB to that and you get defensive displays like today.

Last edited:

Hojoon

Am I the only one who thinks Smalling creates uncertainty all around him? Hell of a player at his very best but he's been ever-present in all our worst defensive displays of the last few years.
He's good with individual defending but doesn't synchronize well and add in his terrible and uncertain passing and that's what happens. Varane is similar in that sense as well, and those two were the standout CB talents four/five years ago.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Smalling is saving him in last couple of games, yet it's Smalling fault. Where is your reliable hero Jones lately btw?

If it wasn't for Smalling in last 10 games or so we would have conceeded far more goals.

m1y2

I'm not making excuses. I said he was cack. I'm just making an observation about Smalling and the way there's so often a sense of panic in back fours he's a part of.
maybe it's him who makes Smalling look little nervous? The guy's rash

Classical Mechanic

He has had bad moments all season but his all action style and him being a new toy curried him favour.

I think this is the tipping point for his narrative. Every misstep will be noted now and like Jones people will say he was crap if he makes one or two inconsequential small mistakes in a game.

Rossa

Don't agree with that. Smalling is not responsible for Bailly making brainfarts on the right side of the pitch, when Smalling is on the left side, nor is he responsible for the first goal when Bailly seems to look everywhere but where the attacker actually is - clever movement though.

ZAGREB RED

Still some rough edges that need to be smoothed out, but he has the potential to be a great CB, quick and strong, rash at times, but he is still relatively young and has a long way to go in the game. With the right guidance, he will get there. I think a lot of the problems today came from Rojo at LB, I think he is just in there at times as Mourinho doesn't want to leave him out. Blind is United's best left back by a way just now, secure and reliable, always disciplined. Rojo needs to play in the middle or not at all. He can play there against poor teams but he will almost certainly be caught out against better opponents.

Alabaster Codify7

We all knew he had a dip in form coming, he's so raw and rough around the edges. Unfortunately, it nearly cost us when it mattered the most. He was abysmal today, truly terrible.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him dropped. But he'll be back and better than ever.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't agree with that. Smalling is not responsible for Bailly making brainfarts on the right side of the pitch, when Smalling is on the left side, nor is he responsible for the first goal when Bailly seems to look everywhere but where the attacker actually is - clever movement though.
Bailly was crap all on his own. From his very first kick you could tell he was a nervous mess. Smalling was the senior partner, though. You'd hope that could have spread an aura of calm around him. Instead, the opposite happened.

We really lack leaders at the back. Couldn't be more different to the days of Rio constantly talking to everyone around him.

togg

I had such high hopes for him. But ultimately he isn't a Rio, Vidic, Bruce Pallister etc. He lacks confidence is what he is doing. No one can say Bruce had natural ability...but what he learnt was that every action as a defender can lead to negative reaction from the opposition. Like a game of chess...as a defender you have to think two steps ahead. When a defending player does that....they become very very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.