Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He had a great first 3-4 months for us.
He then got injured.
He then recovered and went straight to AFCON.
When he returned, he has not been particularly good.

IMO, Rojo has been our best defender this season.
Good summary but given his age and circumstances, he has delivered according to his talent.

Bailly and Rojo could be a beastly partnership for quite a few years.

Natener

For me he started to look like he's learning too much from Smalling in training. Lunging in, not reading the game that great (ie. like Cannavaro / Rio / Terry used to)

He'll improve but I am starting to doubt if he's the next Vidic I thought he would be
Actually, no. He is showing the signs he used to show when I saw him at Villareal. He's missing the calm and self-assured mentality shown at the start of season since returning from AFCON. Possibly, this is mental fatigue in play. With games coming thick and fast, players start playing on instinct more often and this is very much the 'raw/pre-United' Bailly on show.

SambaBoy

He's been poor since returning from the AFCON. No consistency to his play, he will do some amazing defending then just get beaten too easily. I'm not sure what he was doing for the goal, but he has to win that header there, and he got turned too easily by Ramirez once or twice.

shield

Would not read too much into yesterday's performance. Mourinho threw all the defenders in and no one new who was marking whom and it was a mess.

Our CBs are not being managed properly at the moment. Think Mourinho does not know who to play if all our CBs are available. Looks like he is simply choosing as many as possible.

We need to play Baily in a proper CB pairing, possibly with Rojo. This back 3, back 4, back 6 nonsense is not helping anyone. If Mourinho wants to settle on a back 3 then he needs to make his mind up soon and use that formation in the remaining matches. This will help Baily a lot and he will know what is expected of him. He is a good defender and he can adjust well, but he needs to know what Mourinho wants of him and who his partner is.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I said earlier in the season that people were rushing way too quickly to crown him our 'best defender', and he still has a way to go to earn that. Great potential though.

And he's awful in the air. I see a lot of people blaming Boro's goal on Smalling, but if you had swapped Bailly and Smalling round, the goal doesn't happen as Smalling doesn't get beaten by De Roon. He competes for headers in a cowardly fashion, with his back instead of his head.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's understandable that he isn't the best in the air coming from the Spanish league, but he's young and he will learn. That goal yesterday was all Smalling, players get beaten to headers, they don't do what Smalling did.

Dobbs

Isn't this only his second full season in top tier football?

If that's the case and at his age I'd say for a CB he's done well. Possibly overachieved.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Worst heading technique I've ever seen. Needs to sort it out. Jumps up bent over. WTF?

He's quality nonetheless. I hope the coaching staff are teaching him how to win a header. Has all the tools to be a top player.

Mike09

I remember a few months ago that some people out there compared him to Vidic?

Well, he's definitely need to know how to win header and bully attackers in the air constantly first before starting to compare him with Vidic.

criticalanalysis

He's best when he's proactively defending and coming forward (to pressure the opposition or bring the ball out).

Sitting deep next to two donkeys in Jones and Smalling definitely isn't helping. Talent wise, he is above all imo.

Ferguson

The slow motion replays make it look like Smalling had time to react, but he didn't. The ball fell at his feet before he could react.

Bailly was at fault for not dealing with it when he had the chance.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He's been average since his knee injury earlier and then poor after the AFCON.

He just can pass the ball properly and is often out of position.

That's not helping playing with Jones or Smalling too.

I still don't trust him 100% to be honest.

Let him finish this season with an European Cup hopefully and build on that

AP88

Supports
Man City
He looks as chaotic as prime-Kolo Toure at times; he needs taking out of the defence, and I'd trial him in the midfield until the end of the season and pair Smalling and Rojo behind him, seeing as Mourinho simply won't use Blind in the centre of defence.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't understand how someone can start off looking so imperious and switched on and then post AFCON look such a shambles. Does he have a twin brother because right now he's making us all look like mugs for praising him so highly at the start of the season.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Scares the absolute crap out of me at times. Has the attributes to become a very good centre back but needs to learn a lot. But, he has plenty of time to do that. I think his concentration is a bit off, seem to notice him switching off a fair bit and being have to chase the gap he left or the man he let nip in front.

EDIT - For anyone who plays Fifa, im hearing he got a TOTW card for the weekend past there V Middlesboro.... How? :lol:

pilky02

Supports
I could eat a nob at night
I don't understand how someone can start off looking so imperious and switched on and then post AFCON look such a shambles. Does he have a twin brother because right now he's making us all look like mugs for praising him so highly at the start of the season.
He has been paired with either one of the Chuckle brothers post-Afcon. He has looked alright for the most part himself, can't see what people are banging on about. At the start of the season he was paired with Blind, who somehow managed to make Smalling look like a decent player last season. Anyway, young centre backs will always have the odd mistake in them, nothing to worry about.

Hope Jose says feck it and pairs Bailly with Rojo as his number 1 choice. Would scare the shite out of most of the strikers in the league.

frank lee madeer..

I said earlier in the season that people were rushing way too quickly to crown him our 'best defender', and he still has a way to go to earn that. Great potential though.

And he's awful in the air. I see a lot of people blaming Boro's goal on Smalling, but if you had swapped Bailly and Smalling round, the goal doesn't happen as Smalling doesn't get beaten by De Roon. He competes for headers in a cowardly fashion, with his back instead of his head.
Agree.
For some reason people have wanted to annoint him a 'worldie since day one.
For me he was at fault for de bruynes goal v citeh. Thats when the alarm bells started. He made a rash descision to challenge for a must win header , lost it , & left Blind hopelessly exposed to the run of debuyne from the resulting flick on from iheanacho. The trouble would not have escalated so quickly if Bailly had just held his position.

Everybody blamed Blind tho. Bailly has got a long ways to go yet.

Kag

I thought he was all over the place. Some great last ditch defending but he doesn't half run around like an idiot.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fantastic tonight, made some great tackles and interceptions.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No matter how physical opponent he'll get, he'll destroy them.

Shining diamond in a tunnel of nightmare today.

ti vu

Beast mode second half. Some incredible tackle, out right took the ball away from Everton players, like picking candy.

Seems like Bailly & Rojo can create a partnership here.

Remember that we don't have really RB in the second half. Herrera played a weird false Rb role & he often left the flank open, stepping up into midfield.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Did a lot of very good things, but he still does some utterly bonkers things as well. Seemed to keep getting his bearings wrong, though he kept getting away with it, at least.

The block on Lukaku was immense.

WhoDaGOAT

He was excellent tonight. He has the makings of a very well rounded defender.

Jonno

World class performance tonight. If we won 1-0 he would have been lauded by everyone, but because we didn't win, he's almost forgotten. Immense talent we have here. Puts Jones and Smalling to absolute shame.

RooneyLegend

We need to find him a great partner that can compliment his game. Great stuff, very assured defending.

MadMike

His tackling, intercepting, agility, pace....are all great. His heading though is quite a bit below par for a CB in the EPL. He almost turns his back on the ball as he jumps for it. He is thankfully young and can work on it.

I like him, he can have a bright future.

Status
Not open for further replies.