Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

:lol: as nuts as LVG was I think he had a point, it is better to have Left footers on the right and vice versa, it's just hard to find good left footed CB's the pool is obviously much smaller.

Which makes Rojo's injury even more annoying :(
There is logic to it yea i think,specially if you are based on possession football. Guess its easier. When it comes to brigade,guess they were more annoying at the fact that sometimes 2 better CBs ( in their view) couldnt play in same due both being right footed under LvG,also they used Vidic Rio partnership as example.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's like Rio and Vidic's lovely gay sex love child. I think he's had the best season for a central defender for us I've seen.
That is a weird statement, considering that only in the recent years Rio, Vidic and Evra had absolutely outstanding seasons (Vidic even won 2 Premier league player of the season awards), making the best defensive unit in the world for a few seasons. And that's ignoring Stam in the treble-winning season or McGrath (well, it's highly possible that you haven't seen him, so that's a fair exclusion)

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
That is a weird statement, considering that only in the recent years Rio, Vidic and Evra had absolutely outstanding seasons (Vidic even won 2 Premier league player of the season awards), making the best defensive unit in the world for a few seasons. And that's ignoring Stam in the treble-winning season or McGrath (well, it's highly possible that you haven't seen him, so that's a fair exclusion)
The poster might have just started watching recently :)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just realized that 2010/11 was 6 years ago :eek: Time flies.
Can't say I envy him if that's true - that means that he basically start watching us in the worst form we've been in decades

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You'd think so but apparently not.

Thisistheone

If he keeps this up from now til the end of the season he's our player of the year for sure.

Growing into a monster centre back. Reminds me a little of a young Kompany.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's absolutely brilliant. Makes you realize what an utter fraud the substandard Smalling is when Bailly can come in from Spain, and show in less than a season better defensive and passing ability than Smalling can dream of.

AXVnee7

It feels surreal that he's this good! He's made 1 or 2 mistakes but has otherwise been absolutely fantastic all season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's absolutely brilliant. Makes you realize what an utter fraud the substandard Smalling is when Bailly can come in from Spain, and show in less than a season better defensive and passing ability than Smalling can dream of.
What's your thought about Ivar Jones?

Alabaster Codify7

He was immense again last night. A real beast of an all-round defender. Stick someone world-class alongside him and we'd have the best CB partnership in the league easily, and one of the best in Europe.

Dolf

I love this guy. Going to be a world class defender and hopefully stay and united for the rest of his career. Let's just hope he doesn't get a bad injury.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The praise he is getting for last nights performance is a little over the top IMO. Yes he makes some brilliant last ditch challenges and is beast physically but equally he makes stupid decisions and gets us into trouble. There was a number of occasions yesterday when he should have been getting rid of the ball and ended up losing it, trying to play a tricky pass on the edge of our box or not being aware of what was going on around him. He seems to what to launch the ball forward when he has loads of time and space and then when he is surrounded by opposition players he tries to play risky neat passes in and around them.

He is already one of the best tacklers in the league and if he can improve his decision making he will be the best defender in the league but he has a lot of work to do on that side of things I think.

Last edited:

AdNani

The praise he is getting for last nights performance is a little over the top IMO. Yes he makes some brilliant last ditch challenges and is beast physically but equally he makes stupid decisions and gets us into trouble. There was a number of occasions yesterday when he should have been getting rid of the ball and ended up losing it, trying to play a tricky pass on the edge of our box or not being aware of what was going on around him. He seems to what to launch the ball forward when he has loads of time and space and then when he is surrounded by opposition players he tries to play risky neat passes in and around them.

He is already one of the best tacklers in the league and if he can improve his decision making he will be the best defender in the league but he has a lot of work to do on that side of things I think.
I csnt remember his decision making being bad at all yesterday? Mught be wrong though.

Even if it was, he's a 23 year old, Rio was much the same at that age, to be expected, i would go as far to say he's got the potential to be as good as Rio, whether he fulfils it is another matter.

thepolice123

What impressed me the most yesterday was his composure and passing out of Defence. Contrary to our midfielders who shat themselves everytime the City players pressed them, Bailly was excellent at keeping possession.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Have you watched the video above? he literally makes no mistakes. All passes are forward and well weighted. He had a 9/10 performance for me.

ZAGREB RED

This guy just looks better and better all the time, and dare I say it, looks like he could be the new Vidic. I think there is a lot more to come from him, and the fact he can fill in at RB is just an added bonus. He was an absolute rock against City last night, a real no nonsense defender. Highly impressive.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Have you watched the video above? he literally makes no mistakes. All passes are forward and well weighted. He had a 9/10 performance for me.
The video above is his highlights, it's not going to show the poor things he did. I can think of two mistakes of the top of my head. A poor clearance that he should have left for someone else who was in a better position that led to De Bruyne crossing it for Aguero who should have scored at the near post. Another one where he comes steaming out of defence getting in Herrera'sway, causing Herrera to lose possession on the edge of our box. There were other examples too. Don't get me wrong I love the guy but he has a lot to improve in, he's still to erratic and makes mistakes.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He was immense again last night. A real beast of an all-round defender. Stick someone world-class alongside him and we'd have the best CB partnership in the league easily, and one of the best in Europe.
Rojo has been better and its one of the reason we hardly concede any goals. We don't need to stick anyone into CB - we've got two brilliant players already.

Z_Wolf

We are lucky he chose us over City. He's every attribute Guardiola looks for in a CB. I think it's safe to say City would be in a better position on the table had they signed him.

TsuWave

The video above is his highlights, it's not going to show the poor things he did. I can think of two mistakes of the top of my head. A poor clearance that he should have left for someone else who was in a better position that led to De Bruyne crossing it for Aguero who should have scored at the near post. Another one where he comes steaming out of defence getting in Herrera'sway, causing Herrera to lose possession on the edge of our box. There were other examples too. Don't get me wrong I love the guy but he has a lot to improve in, he's still to erratic and makes mistakes.
the instance with herrera, herrera literally got in his way when there was no need for it and ended up booting the ball up against a city player

i think that sometimes in an effort to be the "voice of reason" (lack of better words) people's criticisms become weirdly augmented yet inconsequential, like for instance asserting that he makes mistakes, is that really warranted considering no one in here said he doesn't, and given the nature of the game, and position he plays in, those are bound to happen? Its not as if he's a calamity out there.

Fact of the matter is, he's been our best defender and one of the best in the league this year with people being only able to point out maybe 3 or 4 games where he wasn't "good", which imo makes the "there's a lot he needs to improve in" assertion another exaggeration considering he's already performing at a level that can be compared to the best in the league this season. Now don't get me wrong, fans and players should always look for improvement in their performances and its clear Bailly can and should get better but one of your posts started with "the praise he's getting for that performance is a little over the top" and to me that's just a weird attitude considering he had a great performance, was motm in many, dare i say most, eyes, and substantially contributed to us getting away with a point in a match where the rest of the team pretty much looked dead in the water.

Like, it's ok to congratulate players, be excited and focus on how good they are, especially when they perform consistently and its not a one off. Don't always have to temper the excitement with "he was good but, that one time...", although I do understand and respect that some people reserve the right to do so/are like that. It's just, I feel the plaudits he's getting are well deserved.

devips

the instance with herrera, herrera literally got in his way when there was no need for it and ended up booting the ball up against a city player

i think that sometimes in an effort to be the "voice of reason" (lack of better words) people's criticisms become weirdly augmented yet inconsequential, like for instance asserting that he makes mistakes, is that really warranted considering no one in here said he doesn't, and given the nature of the game, and position he plays in, those are bound to happen? Its not as if he's a calamity out there.

Fact of the matter is, he's been our best defender and one of the best in the league this year with people being only able to point out maybe 3 or 4 games where he wasn't "good", which imo makes the "there's a lot he needs to improve in" assertion another exaggeration considering he's already performing at a level that can be compared to the best in the league this season. Now don't get me wrong, fans and players should always look for improvement in their performances and its clear Bailly can and should get better but one of your posts started with "the praise he's getting for that performance is a little over the top" and to me that's just a weird attitude considering he had a great performance, was motm in many, dare i say most, eyes, and substantially contributed to us getting away with a point in a match where the rest of the team pretty much looked dead in the water.

Like, it's ok to congratulate players, be excited and focus on how good they are, especially when they perform consistently and its not a one off. Don't always have to temper the excitement with "he was good but, that one time...", although I do understand and respect that some people reserve the right to do so/are like that. It's just, I feel the plaudits he's getting are well deserved.
Everybody else looked dead in the water? And Bailley alone fetched a draw for us? Really? I quote you back your own words: "I think that sometimes in an effort to be the "voice of reason" (lack of better words) people's criticisms become weirdly augmented yet inconsequential".

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We are lucky he chose us over City. He's every attribute Guardiola looks for in a CB. I think it's safe to say City would be in a better position on the table had they signed him.
I wish I could avoid getting too excited with Bailly (we've been let down so often) but with him in their defence it's hard to see them even remotely struggling for a top four place. If he keeps up his progression as he is doing, he could be a genuinely world class CB, I really think that. I've been wrong before though so I'll try and keep a lid on my hopes for him from here on out.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Dipped a bit after the injury and AFCON, but when he's on form he's extremely good. Particularly in league games, he's been great to watch from both a technical and often a humour perspective.

I always draw back to the early season game against Hull...when he literally won every challenge.

His athleticism, enthusiasm to get the ball and confidence is a breath of fresh air. It's nice to have a player who doesn't mind having the ball at his feet...he might not be amazing with it all the time but it beats a defender shitting himself in possession.

Hawks2008

TsuWave

Everybody else looked dead in the water? And Bailley alone fetched a draw for us? Really? I quote you back your own words: "I think that sometimes in an effort to be the "voice of reason" (lack of better words) people's criticisms become weirdly augmented yet inconsequential".
substantially =/= alone. I think De Gea and Bailly were the better performers with Blind doing very well. dead in the water was more so regarding our attacking outlets, as well as our midfield options underperforming imo, i didn't think clarification was needed and for that i apologise, my damage. My overall sentiments still hold...

MattyB1986

When watching United games when he's in the starting 11.. I always find myself shouting, "Well in Bailly" "Bailly's a beast" etc.. Only negative thing I can say about him is sometimes he panics with the ball and slices clearances or just hooves it when a simple pass to a cm is on. But, I am old school when it comes to defenders (like a defenders job is to be a good defender 1st) and on that point he's a beast. Buy of the season for us.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bailly would've comfortably gone for double what he did if his performances of this year were on full display last season.

AXVnee7

Bailly would've comfortably gone for double what he did if his performances of this year were on full display last season.
I didn't know much about Bailly before he came to United, but I'd wager there's a good chance Mourinho's coaching has actually improved Bailly up a tier or two from his level at Valencia, or at the least he's helping him to find consistency in his game. Again I have no idea how highly rated he was before, but at the time we signed him, it was very much a surprise signing for most United fans (and other fans). Perhaps the demands of the PL align better for Bailly than La Liga did.

Status
Not open for further replies.