Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Alcio77

I don’t think there’s any serious call for his sacking, but for very few, tiny minority. And there likely won’t be one unless we happen to sit mid table by Christmas and already out of the CL.

That being said, there are worrying aspects of his team building and tactics we shouldn’t overlook, the Antony and Mount transfers, Weghorst before that, the insistence on relying on transitions, signing Evans, our persistent poor finishing, the midfield set up both home and away that left us vulnerable to even relegation candidates. Those are legitimate topics for discussion and they shouldn’t be waved away just because a guy or two calls for his sacking.
good post, I fully agree with. I think It perfectly summarizes almost all the concerns of the great majority of our fan base.
I add our abysmal away form against big clubs into the list of the worrying topics.
After one full season and 400 Mio spent, 2 defeats with 1-5 goal record at Tottenham and Arse are quite frustrating honestly.

Adding the lack of a fascinating charisma, I tend to believe that he is not the one who will take us back to win the PL.

InfiniteBoredom

It was almost a carbon copy of the much maligned LVG football.
LvG ball was actually better, we didn’t lose the ball the moment we ventured past our own half. What doomed him was shit transfers, if we had Robben instead of Depay and a competent striker instead of by that time ‘silent dominator’ Wazza, he might not have been sacked. That side didn’t have issue controlling games, it just couldn’t attack for shit.

Marwood

It was almost a carbon copy of the much maligned LVG football.
That's not a bad thing upto a point. LvG had us keeping the ball at least and actually today we played it quite nicely in our own half.

But like LVG's team, the issue is midfield onwards.

If you don't have the right players, controlling football suddenly becomes very boring football.

Marwood

LvG ball was actually better, we didn’t lose the ball the moment we ventured past our own half. What doomed him was shit transfers, if we had Robben instead of Depay and a competent striker instead of by that time ‘silent dominator’ Wazza, he might not have been sacked. That side didn’t have issue controlling games, it just couldn’t attack for shit.
Same today though. A fully fit Hojlund instead of Martial and a right winger who can move with the ball. I think we win the game.

The basis was there.

Utuhu

I am confused over the playing style he is trying to implement.

Skills

Snitch
Tbf, he had Di Maria at one point too. Who despite being a bit of a prick, was a creative force.

But, I do agree with your general. I always wonder, what LVG could've done with the 16/17 team - especially if you could force him to play a few of the creative players in that team.

RuudTom83

United were a few pixels on a VAR screen away from 3 points.

Football is such fine margins.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not sure hes going to play the same way away against Arsenal as he would in other games. First half vs Spurs away is a good example of what hes trying to do

mu4c_20le

Our greatest threat is winning the ball back in midfield and launch a counter. We tried doing that many times, and even Bruno said after the match that we tried to hit them on the counter but they let us have the ball at times.

evil_geko

I liked what I saw against Arsenal, after all the injuries, we should be seeing very good team here. I do feel sorry for knee jerk merchants, they can't help themselves but to feel constant misery.

thebelfastboy

There are clear signs of improvement with our play out from there back, Onana looks great and confident. So that's clearly being coached.

I just can't get my head around what's going on in midfield. It's completely unbalanced.

The only thing I can think of is Eriksson is being tasked to a role that he's not able for. I really like him but he doesn't have the legs... Not sure if Case does either. Hopefully Amrabat brings that to the table and we will look better in the middle and we'll start to see some passing triangles etc pronto

Oldbknes

United were a few pixels on a VAR screen away from 3 points.

Football is such fine margins.
That assumes we would have been able to stop Arsenal scoring again for with them putting us under the cosh for the best part of 10 minutes. Doubtful.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
It's not one bad result, we've been playing like shit since the cup final. The players have gone i to the season unprepared and unfit playing crap football and suicidal tactics. This is all on ETH.
Frankly, that's a disgraceful comment. ETH inherited the worst United premier league team in history, had egos out of control like Ronaldo, and a dressing room that was fractured and mutinous. He won a trophy, got to another final and finished third but you're upset because we're not playing pretty football yet? Arsenal played lovely football last year and won feck all.

InfiniteBoredom

Same today though. A fully fit Hojlund instead of Martial and a right winger who can move with the ball. I think we win the game.

The basis was there.
I think the midfield we currently have is significantly less secured in possession than the 15/16 side. Teams didn’t just waltzed through us at will back then like they do now and we also didn’t concede possession pointlessly from Hollywood passes and flick ons (because we didn’t try any!)

I hope Amrabat will improve this team, and having a player who take on the bulk of the playmaking burden will allow Casemiro to be more disciplined, but our squad in general has a very cavalier attitude with the ball and hard to see one player walking in and change that.

Hoof the ball

That's exactly what it means.
No, it doesn't. You're conflating the two. Man City are an exceptional transition team. Are they a counter-attacking team? No. Liverpool are an exceptional transition team. Are they a counter-attacking team? No.

Being great at transitions doesn't mean the same thing as being a counter-attacking side.

Eddy_JukeZ

That's exactly what it means.
Some of you guys are being deliterabely obtuse about this.

Were Liverpool the best transition team in the world a few years ago? I think most would say yes.

Were they purely a counter attacking side? No they were not.

Eddy_JukeZ

No, it doesn't. You're conflating the two. Man City are an exceptional transition team. Are they a counter-attacking team? No. Liverpool are an exceptional transition team. Are they a counter-attacking team? No.

Being great at transitions doesn't mean the same thing as being a counter-attacking side.
It's maddening how often some of us need to point this out.

At this point, I'm convinced people are just trying to moan for the sake of it.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

People just don’t really know football and react based off results, not performances.

forevrared

I guess the moment has probably gone, but unrelated to today, it'd be nice to see someone press him on why he was okay with Greenwood coming back. The Overmars situation at Ajax was bad enough, but I think you can begin to question his morals at this point.

Eddy_JukeZ

It will help to some extent but we simply have to work the ball better to make the most significant step towards being a great football team. We had 57% possession today and only 4% of that was forays into the final 3rd, with 5 touches in their box. This has been a running theme of multiple United side post Fergie that we can’t craft sustained, meaningful attacks out of a spell of prolonged possession, we can’t pin teams back into their own half and really put them under the cosh for 10, 15, 20 minutes until they break or run themselves ragged. Our football is always chaotic and individualistic, with high margin of error. City is repeatedly lambasted by this fan base for being boring but watching them dismantle Fulham yesterday without even playing all that well sure isn’t boring.
I agree this is our biggest flaw.

I hope we see improvements in this regard, but mainly vs the best teams, we seem incapable of doing this thus far.

Even though I think we played well considering the circumstances, we only really had 1 wave of a sustained attack off of possession for a prolonged period.

I thought we played well vs Tottenham too in the 1st half, but it was mainly off of transitions winning the ball high up the field. Our possession play in that game was pretty poor(I thought it was better today despite a period in the 1st half with a complete lack of verticality in our play).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I guess the moment has probably gone, but unrelated to today, it'd be nice to see someone press him on why he was okay with Greenwood coming back. The Overmars situation at Ajax was bad enough, but I think you can begin to question his morals at this point.
Greenwood is gone, let's move on

city-puma

We almost played the whole game in our half. It can’t be this bad. Playing from the back vastly improved due to Onana, but all stopped in the mid third. Erickson can’t carried the ball and we all know it. What puzzles me is why he didn’t give Hannibal a try in the last twenty minutes when everyone is exhausted including Arsenal players? At least, Hannibal has better work rates and better in ball carrying.

Ralph1386

People just don’t really know football and react based off results, not performances.
I just think these are also fans of previous managers who are looking for anything to pin on the current manager just for the sake of it.

the_cliff

I liked what I saw against Arsenal, after all the injuries, we should be seeing very good team here. I do feel sorry for knee jerk merchants, they can't help themselves but to feel constant misery.
I agree. I've seen people say this is the most spineless performance post Fergie. Ridiculous.

Was a good watch and we played well. I don't get the knee jerk. Arsenal are according to everyone title contenders, we went to them away and until we were forced to sub off the 2 CBs we were the better team and had the better chances.

When we get Amrabat in and our players back from injury we'll be alright and people will then overreact and say ETH is the second coming of Fergie.

Eddy_JukeZ

I just think these are also fans of previous managers who are looking for anything to pin on the current manager just for the sake of it.
It's getting tiring at this point.

Especially when previous managers were utter failures.