Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 643 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 791 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MattyLT

The way he walks around OT and speaks to people reminds me of Klopp and Pep.

A combination of their styles.
It's interesting you would say that, cause I was thinking the exact same thing about his head; the baldedness of Pep, combined with the beardedness of Klopp.

Last edited:

ShinjiNinja26

On Talkshite just now Martin Samuel the poisonous cnut just tried to make a laughing stock out of ETH. Saying how much he enjoys the way he says ‘club’ how he had a little chuckle and how it reminds him of someone off south park.

We know the media are going to try to belittle him.
Samuels a fecking hack. He’s got his head so far up City’s arse it’s unreal.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Martin Samuel is another ABU cnut of a 'journalist'
Convinced he's on City's payroll. He's almost like a mouth piece for them. It actually wouldn't shock me to find out the sheikh has bought several members of the UK media tbh.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Only an idiot would not assess the squad when hired as manager. You have to see from the inside.
Ralph is pretty bad as a manager, I don’t know why his world should be seen as gospel. He was a consultant in Russia before we hired him.
ETH himself said he was looking forward to have talks with Rangnick.

I don't get why the previous job being in Russia would belittle Rangnick. His work at RB is widely known throughout Europe (That's why our own Murtough came to find him in 2019). Does that mean people will prefer Rangnick from 2019 rather than the current Rangnick with 2 more years of experience added?

ETH can have some talks with Rangnick and exchange information that Rangnick has composed from this season. But the decision is still up to him. Because that's his job as manager. This is how things should be. It's different from ignoring Rangnick's input entirely. That would make Rangnick's half-season here truly a waste (Not because we missed top 4, but because we entirely missed the point).

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I've got a hunch Maguire will start improving immensely under ETH.
How exactly? His main issue is his speed and lack of agility, which can be improved only with off pitch activities (losing weight, training different muscle groups), but the improvements would be only subtle as he is a full-grown man, not a teenager.

Sure, his awareness and footballer IQ get a boost, which helps to hide the main flaws, but still the flaws remain, especially with ETH's tactical preference and structure.

Sir Erik ten Hag

How exactly? His main issue is his speed and lack of agility, which can be improved only with off pitch activities (losing weight, training different muscle groups), but the improvements would be only subtle as he is a full-grown man, not a teenager.

Sure, his awareness and footballer IQ get a boost, which helps to hide the main flaws, but still the flaws remain, especially with ETH's tactical preference and structure.
You answered your own question. Football IQ and awareness help a player to position himself more precisely. You don't need that much speed if you know where to stand. Look at our own Carrick and the way he shielded the our back 4, without any speed or much agility himself. Daniel James is not a top-class winger because he only had speed but very limited football IQ.

Let's put it this way: Someone small, weak in heading and not strong like Blind can play as central defender in Ten Hag's system (2018-2019). Why can't Maguire (bigger, stronger, more decent at advancing the ball) can't do it if Ten Hag manages to boost Maguire's football IQ?

Maguire in the end may not fulfill that and be relegated to a bench role anyway, because football IQ is harder to rise compared to muscles. But writing him off at this stage is still too soon, while Ten Hag himself also sees Maguire's potential.

Reactions: Invictus

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
ETH def hits up very strong pure blunts before any interaction with people and staff, he's got that focused high that some people get, where everything becomes more intense and they are like superhuman in attention to detail and you often think , wtf is this guy on about then randomly it clicks and your like wow, would never have thought that.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
So the Mail this morning are saying that ' a body expert said that ETH lacked precision'' in his first interview!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Smores

Not only that, I can see a few more improving too. As he himself said, team has potential despite huge problems in the dressing room.
New project off the back of a toxic prior season should see some major improvements usually.

Given how meticulous ETH is supposed to be I'm hopeful he'll get players following strict instruction.

ForeverRed1

No but gotta do something about the gaping hole in MF, need at least 2 there. Need a FW. Need a RB. Need a CB. That's 5 signings. 5 signings is decent start at a rebuild. The 1-2 approved by the board signings is just peppering over huge cracks. There should be no manager worth his merit to look at this United squad from this year and think "ya but this group of players came 2nd a year ago". It either makes him incompetent to think that or it's him speaking with the board already and them telling him "make due". I don't think that's unreasonable expectation for a new manager to get at least 3-4 guys that he hand picks because they fit his play style. But here we go again with a new manager coming out with "it's a fine team already" shite that is clearly marching orders from the board. But I already got a sense of that when reports came out that Andreas Pereira was being looked at to being brought back into the team and the fact there is absolutely zero solid links to any players. It really wouldn't surprise me if we start the season with a Fred-McTominay Then again this is the same club that spent 55m on Fred but is balking out a similar price for a player that ETH has worked with before at a position of great need.
you really think they won’t sign a couple players? You realise we are losing about 10? He isn’t giving anything away, which is a refreshing change after ralf talked the talk but didn’t walk the walk.

Then we had mourinho who spoke to much and too negatively about the players.. that didn’t work out either.

ETH is walking into a extremely negative and toxic environment, which his job is to sort out. Why would he start creating more negativity before even speaking with the players? Before even meeting them? He will have to work with a few of the ones we already have (we won’t buy a whole new squad).. he has to get the ones staying on side.. and they can do better with better management around them. Some of these players can turn it around with world class coaching. Fact.

ETH is keeping his cards close to his chest. He is going to try and be positive. And rightfully so.

He’s going to need a couple seasons anyway until we start really seeing what he is made of. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Give him a chance.

RkkMan

No but gotta do something about the gaping hole in MF, need at least 2 there. Need a FW. Need a RB. Need a CB. That's 5 signings. 5 signings is decent start at a rebuild. The 1-2 approved by the board signings is just peppering over huge cracks. There should be no manager worth his merit to look at this United squad from this year and think "ya but this group of players came 2nd a year ago". It either makes him incompetent to think that or it's him speaking with the board already and them telling him "make due". I don't think that's unreasonable expectation for a new manager to get at least 3-4 guys that he hand picks because they fit his play style. But here we go again with a new manager coming out with "it's a fine team already" shite that is clearly marching orders from the board. But I already got a sense of that when reports came out that Andreas Pereira was being looked at to being brought back into the team and the fact there is absolutely zero solid links to any players. It really wouldn't surprise me if we start the season with a Fred-McTominay Then again this is the same club that spent 55m on Fred but is balking out a similar price for a player that ETH has worked with before at a position of great need.
I've read a lot of tripe on this forum but Jumping Jehosaphat you're so out of touch with reality it's unbelievable. The fact that you seem to believe EVERYTHING in the media that's not proven credible(the Pereira story) or everything Ten Hag is saying at face value is staggering first and foremost.
Everyone knows our 2nd place finish was a fluke and if Ten Hag has done his homework as smart and meticulously as the reliable people are saying he knows this too. If he's smart he's also not going to belittle his players in his very first press conference where first impression is VERY important otherwise he's starting from a losing position immediately. Klopp in his first presser said Liverpool's situation wasn't as bad as was being portrayed yet everyone could see the mess they were then. They finished 8th but you could see the players played for him more than Rodgers.
You're also being horrifically out of order thinking we won't invest in the squad because so many players are leaving anyway or that there are no solid links to players you're the one not following the news. Timber, Pau Torres, Lisandro Martinez, Frenkie De Jong, Kalvin Phillips, Ruben Neves, Darwin Nunez have all been concretely linked and there will be more. Ten Hag himself in his first interview released before his unveiling said he wants to "renew" the squad and every reliable Utd journalist has said a CB, midfield, RB and ST are priorities that will be dealt with. That's 4/5 signings almost guaranteed to happen.
Lastly please please please let the man at least handle ONE training session before even having the ridiculous notion that he'll fail here/is bound to fail here, like a true supporter :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ScarleyUtd

thats awesome. Great for the fans. Great to see him walking around outside of old Trafford taking it all in.:devil: Hopefully he really feels it like we do. It’s a special place to lots of us.
I'm not assuming anything, but the way he's getting into every aspect of the club right now reminds me of a certain someone....

RatPack

I've read a lot of tripe on this forum but Jumping Jehosaphat you're so out of touch with reality it's unbelievable. The fact that you seem to believe EVERYTHING in the media that's not proven credible(the Pereira story) or everything Ten Hag is saying at face value is staggering first and foremost.
Everyone knows our 2nd place finish was a fluke and if Ten Hag has done his homework as smart and meticulously as the reliable people are saying he knows this too. If he's smart he's also not going to belittle his players in his very first press conference where first impression is VERY important otherwise he's starting from a losing position immediately. Klopp in his first presser said Liverpool's situation wasn't as bad as was being portrayed yet everyone could see the mess they were then. They finished 8th but you could see the players played for him more than Rodgers.
You're also being horrifically out of order thinking we won't invest in the squad because so many players are leaving anyway or that there are no solid links to players you're the one not following the news. Timber, Pau Torres, Lisandro Martinez, Frenkie De Jong, Kalvin Phillips, Ruben Neves, Darwin Nunez have all been concretely linked and there will be more. Ten Hag himself in his first interview released before his unveiling said he wants to "renew" the squad and every reliable Utd journalist has said a CB, midfield, RB and ST are priorities that will be dealt with. That's 4/5 signings almost guaranteed to happen.
Lastly please please please let the man at least handle ONE training session before even having the ridiculous notion that he'll fail here/is bound to fail here, like a true supporter :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I do believe that ETH is a good signing, but I am a bit worried on the transfer news at the moment.
Timber and Lisandro Martinez: Seems to have gone a bit quiet.
Pau Torres: Linked every window, but maybe the only one with a little noise at this time.
Frenkie De Jong: If we overpay in transfer and salary maybe a small change. But think he will go for CL club
Kalvin Phillips & Ruben Neves: Rumors for these seems to have gone cold
Darwin Nunez: He only want to change to CL club.
But then again maybe the lack of rumors is we are no longer used as a tool for other clubs to drive up the price any longer.

Devil may care

I liked his direct, no nonsense approach to the interview and presser yesterday and I'm glad he's started so quickly, seems very focused.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

I see where you're coming from and I don't think he will be shedding any weight....as that seems to be his body type. He may however start playing to his strengths and he does have a good pass in him or at least he used to show glimpses of it.

LordSpud

I'm at work right now with a Liverpool fan (obviously) and hes already stated that he doesnt like the look of Ten Hag, doesnt like that sound of him and that he cant see him doing well at United. So for that alone I am keeping everything crossed that we can start to get our shit together and knock those gobshites off of their perch again!

Redlyn

What’s there to enjoy? A bald man walking around in a suit talking to people?
Do you have a problem with baldness? Would it have been ok to enjoy if he had long flowing locks? If not why is it relevant here? Baldophobe.

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

I could be imagining things but Ten Hag doesn't strike me as a typical Dutch football person. When I think of them I have the likes of Van Gaal or Rijkaard or Gullit on my mind. Self-confident bordering on arrogant, very straightforward, a bit of a raconteur, those sort of things.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I could be imagining things but Ten Hag doesn't strike me as a typical Dutch football person. When I think of them I have the likes of Van Gaal or Rijkaard or Gullit on my mind. Self-confident bordering on arrogant, very straightforward, a bit of a raconteur, those sort of things.
This is the same for Ten Hag though.

phelans shorts

I've got a hunch Maguire will start improving immensely under ETH.
It’s pretty much a certainty. Once he has his confidence back from Erik putting his arm around him and using his strengths there will be lots of green smileys used on those who have declared him a Sunday league player in spite of the literal years of evidence.

WPMUFC

Reddit summary:

- It was Ten Hag’s first visit to Old Trafford, curious as that may seem, and later on Monday afternoon, he was introduced also to Carrington

- To help, he has Mitchell van der Gaag, who speaks seven languages, and Steve McClaren, whose communication has always been good, even allowing for a Dutch detour.

- Van der Gaag was stood outside the press suite as Ten Hag spoke

- For those who feel United’s players need a jolt, it can only be regarded as beneficial that Van der Gaag carries the look of a Bond villain with his thick-rimmed glasses and firm expression.

- Ten Hag and his team plan to work a few more days before taking a break

- He will speak to his players when they report for pre-season, some at the end of June, the majority in the first week of July

- It appears inevitable Harry Maguire will be one of the first to see Ten Hag

- Ten Hag is set for talks with Rangnick via Zoom this week

- In his first Press conference Ten Hag gave Short answers, scant detail, and although that may have initially seemed because he was speaking in his second language, those familiar to him in the Netherlands report his press conference persona was the same there

- Ralf Rangnick’s candour caused discomfort in the boardroom and the dressing room, that is how United would like things.