Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crossy1686

career ending
Fecking hell guys, let's wait until he's actually managed a couple of games before we start comparing him to Klopp and Pep. Walking around OT and speaking to people doesn't make a top coach. Chill

city-puma

He has no-nonsense mentality. He witnessed the game against crystal palace. He saw how we played as 11 individuals and must wonder what the heck Ralf has been doing for this disjointed team on the pitch. But he also observed every individual‘s skills a bit. He will have his own judgment and conclusion during the preseason.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So we are back to players can do better and squad is generally fine, yep, we deserve everything shit thats happening to us, every single thing.
Who is saying that? There's some good players in this squad that have vastly underperformed this season and ten Hag's job will be to get the best out of them and develop them. And of course we have players who are not good enough and it's clear we need significant investment in the squad.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
On Talkshite just now Martin Samuel the poisonous cnut just tried to make a laughing stock out of ETH. Saying how much he enjoys the way he says ‘club’ how he had a little chuckle and how it reminds him of someone off south park.

We know the media are going to try to belittle him.
Martin Samuel is another ABU cnut of a 'journalist'

jesperjaap

Know very little about Ten Hag. What I have thought initially from the press conference is this is a very confident, single minded, unswayable, ambitous clear minded manager.....that really shouldnt be such a surprise as its typical Dutch tendencies.

This guy will listen to anybody but it wont sway his own decision making and that is a very promising trait in a manager as long as it doesnt become arrogance or stubborness, as we have seen that from a couple of recent managers.

My minor concerns from the interview in the short term:

- Ragnicks appointment has been a waste. Been a poor manager but I was quite happy with him here for his intelligent speaking, forthright views on the squad and what he can do in a consultancy role. My gut reaction is Ten Hag really isnt that interested at all, he will listen to what he has to say, analyse it and then press on with his own plans anyway, anythign else Ragnick does is tied with the club not him

- He is that confident that he feels within his own project, philosiphy etc he can turn around a lot of these players. And he sounds like he wants to take it day by day. Those leaving by choice or contract will go....but I have a gut feeling not many others will, he will want to assess them.

- I also dont get the feeling he will not be looking to add a huge number of players this summer. Ragnick says up to ten needed, I feel seven a lot of fans feel 5 or 6. I am going to guess he signs four players this summer now from that interview, dont know why

May be way off the mark from my initial reaction to his interview, I quite like him from it. But if he is to keep most of these players and sign just four.......its going to be a very long first season for him here. I can see him by CHristmas realising many of this group of players are simply not determined, intelligent or talented enough to perform and adapt to his philosophy or system or work hard enough for him.....beginning to wonder, is 2023 summer actually the window when a huge turnover of players occurs and not this summer, hope I am wrong as would bea big mistake in my opinion

CloneMC16

He definitely comes across as extremely confident, but words are just words. We need to see performances on the pitch. I'm concerned that he doesn't seem to be too interested in Rangnick staying around. He said him staying is up to the club. Rangnick surely has some good insight that should be useful to him. I'm concerned that he's going to start saying that he needs to 'assess the squad' and waste a large chunk of the summer doing that. Rangnick was already brought here to do that.

Tarrou

Personally I think Maguire could be lined up to play as a CDM under ETH. He is a solid ball player with a better passing range then MCtominay and Fred.

His lack of pace will be far less exposed if Maguire sits back, stops counter attacks and then pings the ball around for a progressive attacking play.
I'm sorry but Maguire at CDM :lol: :lol: :lol:

The-Natural

He definitely comes across as extremely confident, but words are just words. We need to see performances on the pitch. I'm concerned that he doesn't seem to be too interested in Rangnick staying around. He said him staying is up to the club. Rangnick surely has some good insight that should be useful to him. I'm concerned that he's going to start saying that he needs to 'assess the squad' and waste a large chunk of the summer doing that. Rangnick was already brought here to do that.
Feel a bit like this as well.

Robindinho

On Talkshite just now Martin Samuel the poisonous cnut just tried to make a laughing stock out of ETH. Saying how much he enjoys the way he says ‘club’ how he had a little chuckle and how it reminds him of someone off south park.

Wonder what Martin Samuel's Dutch is like? The twat.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
ETH is a direct and stubborn guy. Don’t be surprised if he makes decisions you don’t like or understand at first.
For example Daley Blind was one of his most important players, while most of you did not rate him.
He said he will adapt his style to suit the players at hand. We shall see, interesting times ahead.
That's what I found to be the most interesting statement in the presser. I always thought he was some systems guy who has a certain philosophy.

If he actually does this (in bold) and is successful, then he is some creative genius or he is some naive fool if he fails to compete.

Redfrog

Only an idiot would not assess the squad when hired as manager. You have to see from the inside.
Ralph is pretty bad as a manager, I don’t know why his world should be seen as gospel. He was a consultant in Russia before we hired him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rangnick's role is not to work with manager, he is a consultant, he will be working with Murtough (or offering advice).

Also I don't get this Rangnick love, why should ETH work with Rangnick, he has his own trusted staff and he is more than capable of judging players watching the games and footage. No new manager will say "I have already assessed the squad and ready to clear the deadwood'. They will always give safe answers, this is the manager who moved to England day after he won the league to set the things moving for next season, do you think he didn't assess the squad already?

city-puma

Rangnick's role is not to work with manager, he is a consultant, he will be working with Murtough (or offering advice).

Also I don't get this Rangnick love, why should ETH work with Rangnick, he has his own trusted staff and he is more than capable of judging players watching the games and footage. No new manager will say "I have already assessed the squad and ready to clear the deadwood'. They will always give safe answers, this is the manager who moved to England day after he won the league to set the things moving for next season, do you think he didn't assess the squad already?
I guess many are hardcore 007 fans, you know, from Russian with love ~ ;)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Only an idiot would not assess the squad when hired as manager. You have to see from the inside.
Ralph is pretty bad as a manager, I don’t know why his world should be seen as gospel. He was a consultant in Russia before we hired him.
Do you really need to be a successful manager before you can tell which players are lazy bastard, toxic, mentally weak, or have low football intelligent?

lex talionis

Ralf was always only the interim manager and the massive egos in the squad were never going to respond to him. The new manager may or may not have been a bumbling moron, but even if he were a managerial genius there's no reason to believe that Pogba and Rashford were ever going to give a shit what Ralf said or that McTominay would learn how to play football.

Had we gone with Conte, who apparently was desperate to join United, we probably would have finished fourth. But for a variety of reasons it was believed at the time that the short term sacrifice of this season was worth landing the right man for the job for the long haul.

Kaushal

He is one of us :drool: He hates Liverpool and Just like caf he was nervous too. Look at him celebrating with city.

OmarUnited4ever

To me he appeared very assured and in control, the players will see that and know that it's his way or the highway.

If you want to know why I think he is in control, is because he said "I listened to alot of people, but I draw my line" so he'll listen, observe and analyze, no one will bullshit him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've got a hunch Maguire will start improving immensely under ETH.
Every Dutch been hating or not rating Maguire. If your hunch is correct then ETH would be the first Dutch that actually rate Maguire.

Dempsey19

ETH was very complimentary of him at the press conference. I'm hoping he sees something most people don't
Do you really think it be wise for him to say the truth in his first ever press conference?

There's so many players for us that are mediocre and he already knows this but he could hardly lay into them now.

CloneMC16

What was the point in bringing in Rangnick if we're not going to bother using him for the job he's actually good at? His expertise is building clubs and finding good, young players. If there was any chance he was not going to stay, we should have brought in a proper interim manager that has a decent CV in management.

I understand that, but a large part of his reason for being here was to assess the squad. That information should be useful to ETH.

I don't love Rangnick, but the whole point of him coming here was mainly for the consultancy role. We should have hired a better manager if there was a chance he wouldn't stay to do that role. I honestly have no idea if he has. I hope he has. We have heard the same thing from each new manager that comes in. I don't want the cycle to keep repeating itself. Some of these players clearly aren't good enough, and we need replacements this summer. Hopefully earlier on, so they get a pre-season with us.

EtH

Fecking hell guys, let's wait until he's actually managed a couple of games before we start comparing him to Klopp and Pep. Walking around OT and speaking to people doesn't make a top coach. Chill
The way he walks around OT and speaks to people reminds me of Klopp and Pep.

A combination of their styles.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
ETH was very complimentary of him at the press conference. I'm hoping he sees something most people don't
He's not going to smash him in press conference now though as he hasn't even get to know the guy. What ETH said in press conference about Maguire is not very convincing imo. He was talking about Maguire's achievement, like what he has achieved? I think he was just making positive notes to avoid negativity coming out in the media for his first press conference.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I understand that, but a large part of his reason for being here was to assess the squad. That information should be useful to ETH.

I don't love Rangnick, but the whole point of him coming here was mainly for the consultancy role. We should have hired a better manager if there was a chance he wouldn't stay to do that role. I honestly have no idea if he has. I hope he has. We have heard the same thing from each new manager that comes in. I don't want the cycle to keep repeating itself. Some of these players clearly aren't good enough, and we need replacements this summer. Hopefully earlier on, so they get a pre-season with us
He is still in consultant role and consultant don't work with managers. He works with Murtough.

What ETH wants from played and what Rangnick wanted are completely different, no manager will base his decisions on the analysis of previous manager. At best they take their opinion and still make their own analysis.

Rangnick wasn't hired to assess the squad, he was hired to finish fourth and then play consultant role, helping Murtough in setting up the structure.

Daengophile

Indeed. Or EtH will transition from the Messiah to the very naughty boy on Pythonesque fashion

Partridge

I don't know about anybody else, but I never expected rangnick to sort the team out in any capacity. He was just there to close the season out. That's it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He was never going to slag off any players he has not met, seen train or played.
Yeh. He wants a CB, CM/DM, and striker even before "need to meet and assess the team" bollox. It means that he has already made up his mind.

DevilRed

He looks the part so far.

A proper leader. Charismatic.

After being burned so many times, I am struggling to dive in head first :lol:

But its starting to call to me again..

Loon

:lol:

Martin Samuel is likely a gammon and if anyone has listened to him, he can't even roll his Rs properly, so he's not best positioned to mock somebody else's pronunciation.