Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think we should "tank" this next Carabao Cup game against Palace - rest the key players and try some younger, newer, or crappier ones.

Rest Bruno, Hojlund, Varane, Lisandro, Casemiro, Rashford. Or give them max 30 minutes, like a more intense, shorter training session. Especially Hojlund, since his minutes need to be carefully managed(load management) because of that potential back issues stuff.

We have to play the only two fullbacks we have available(Dalot and Regulion), that is going to absolutely kill us this year until Shaw, Wan-Bissaka come back two months from now. Plus Malacia, don't know what's happening with him, haven't heard anything about him in ages.

Start the two between Evans, Maguire, Lindelof. Then Amrabat, Hannibal, Eriksen/McTominay or maybe Mount if he's ready for some minutes. Pellistri and Garnacho on the wings(full game for both of them, definitely) and then try to force Martial to play full 90 minutes(I know it sounds impossible). If not substitute him for Rashford at around usual 60th minute mark. We can try the new Turkish goalkeeper(Bayindir) also, but I wouldn't mind seeing Onana, I guess - it's the same for me.

Losing this game would be pretty insignificant considering all the on and off the pitch issues we have at the moment. We won that trophy already last season, anyway. If we win this game, great, whatever. Then match we have against this same very opponent(on the same stadium even) on Saturday is much, much more significant. Then, we go full strength.

But I suspect that ETH is not going to do what I suggested above and he's going to go full strength, totally unnecessarily and he's going to piss me of. Which could make injury crisis that we have even worse than it already is, if it's even realistically possible(theoretically sure is...).
Tanking a game will do wonders for our confidence won't it.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I think we should "tank" this next Carabao Cup game against Palace - rest the key players and try some younger, newer, or crappier ones.

Rest Bruno, Hojlund, Varane, Lisandro, Casemiro, Rashford. Or give them max 30 minutes, like a more intense, shorter training session. Especially Hojlund, since his minutes need to be carefully managed(load management) because of that potential back issues stuff.

We have to play the only two fullbacks we have available(Dalot and Regulion), that is going to absolutely kill us this year until Shaw, Wan-Bissaka come back two months from now. Plus Malacia, don't know what's happening with him, haven't heard anything about him in ages.

Start the two between Evans, Maguire, Lindelof. Then Amrabat, Hannibal, Eriksen/McTominay or maybe Mount if he's ready for some minutes. Pellistri and Garnacho on the wings(full game for both of them, definitely) and then try to force Martial to play full 90 minutes(I know it sounds impossible). If not substitute him for Rashford at around usual 60th minute mark. We can try the new Turkish goalkeeper(Bayindir) also, but I wouldn't mind seeing Onana, I guess - it's the same for me.

Losing this game would be pretty insignificant considering all the on and off the pitch issues we have at the moment. We won that trophy already last season, anyway. If we win this game, great, whatever. Then match we have against this same very opponent(on the same stadium even) on Saturday is much, much more significant. Then, we go full strength.

But I suspect that ETH is not going to do what I suggested above and he's going to go full strength, totally unnecessarily and he's going to piss me of. Which could make injury crisis that we have even worse than it already is, if it's even realistically possible(theoretically sure is...).
That's not really tanking, it's just rotating. And it's the kind of rotation you'd expect from any team at this stage of the Carabao Cup. Completely agree that ETH should heavily rotate, but probably won't.

AlexUTD

r0663664

Worships Man City
Rashford may be lazy or maybe ETH himself instructed him to ease of the press in order to conserve his energy for when he has the ball, we don't know that. But the others, regardless of the effort they put in their press rarely make a difference. We cannot dispossess any opponents nor cut the passing lanes properly. Regardless of who we play against.

Spurs players managed to do just that in a matter of 2 months, we are a work in progress for 14.
So what is the problem? The coach or the players? I believe it is the players, I always remember Bruno was the only one pressing and he keeps waving his hands to other players to press. Weghorst even as a loan player was pressing quite properly when needed. I think it is likely the players. Having Hannibal made such a difference, I hope Mainoo can do likewise together with Mount, we may see a new dimension in our press.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I dont care about the cup, ETH needs to rest some of the players. Rashford, Casemiro, Bruno and Hoijund should rest. Play Garnacho, Amrabat, Mount if fit and Martial. It would be good for Pellestri to have a run out. Hannibal seems full of energy so he could have a go again. Maguire to start with Evans resting. It would tricky for fullback, who can we play? Call up youngsters for duty. I would go with that. Saturday is more important to win so we need to rest of our starters.

NLunited

Ok, well let's agree to disagree on that one. But let's suggest that the way we played against Burnley, was a game plan, what does that tell you about ETH as a manager and tactician? Burnley are bottom of the league ok. Do you think Brighton, Spurs (now), Citeh of course, even Newcastle etc etc, would go to Burnley, and adapt how they (Brighton, Spurs etc..) play? You think any of those managers play against Burnley and change the way they play? If, if they do, it will be marginal, and why? Because they have a game plan, an identity. I knew how Spurs would play against Arsenal. I know how Liverpool will play in their next game. I know how Citeh will play in their next ten games, regardless of opposition, home or away.

And Man Utd?

If you're stating that ETH had a game plan against Burnley, then I can expect that for the rest of the season, right? Or does his game-plan change from game to game? (which supports my whole point..) Because that fantastic first 30mins against Tottenham (which just faded...), wasn't similar to how we played against Burnley.

We were average for most of the game against Burnley, again, this happens and we just needed the win, and that's great! But to suggest that this was part of an emerging ETH 'identity' for how Man Utd play is, imo, mistaken.
The game plan changes per game, but not completely. Hag will go with the plan that creates the most chances while limiting the other team.

We set up the same against Burnley as against Brighton, and that‘s fine because Burnley tries to play like Brighton right?

Why change tactics? We are trying to improve our pressing game and our opponent plays the same style. Seems like a no brainer.

It all looks underwhelming because we are in a difficult phase with bad luck, injuries, off the pitch issues and low confidence.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Eric ten Hag, worst manager ever. He’s a fraud and ugly bald cnut to boot. I’ve seen more football brains from my severely demented 97 year old grandmother. Under his tutorship the club has gone backwards, we’re playing the most pathetically boring football ever seen by man and even inflation has spiraled out of control. He’s failed to deal with Ronaldo, the invasion of the Ukraine and global warming. It’s no coincidence that the World’s oceans have warmed up to record levels during his reign. And he’s Dutch. I mean, feckin Dutch!! The most evil & incompetent people to walk the earth. Mind you, they did invent total football and counter pressing. In fact the Dutch are the tallest people in the World, are blind and eat cheese. Ten Hag is one of the World’s premier cheese makers and his cheese are some of the most critically heralded cheeses on the planet. And he told Sancho to feck off, he says errrr a lot, runs 10km and rides bikes. He’s United the squad behind him a regularly organizes wife & girlfriends swapping parties at his mansion in Cheadle. He’s the most influential person from Twente ever to set foot in Manchester and fought the 6 day war almost single handed. He discovered gravity, electricity and the Amazon. He even knocked out Joe Joyce in the third round this Saturday whilst running a World record in the women’s marathon the next morning. He’s clearly the greatest manager the World has ever seen. And it’s Eric ten Hag, Eric ten Hag for me. He’s by far the greatest manager, the World has ever seen.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Given the number of his former players we've brought in, the squad rebuild is clearly designed around him. This group has been picked for ETH, by ETH. Makes no sense to get rid of him this early based on what we've seen (and have yet to see). Can't trust our powers that be to always act rationally but handing this freshly assembled team over to a new manager so quickly would be silly.

Dansk

I dont care about the cup, ETH needs to rest some of the players. Rashford, Casemiro, Bruno and Hoijund should rest.
Why Højlund? He has played what, 150 minutes of football so far this season? If anything, he needs as much time as possible on the pitch so he can really gel with the team. He's 20, he's not in need of a rest after so little playing time. He just got back from summer break and then a month out.

GreatDane

Eric ten Hag, worst manager ever. He’s a fraud and ugly bald cnut to boot. I’ve seen more football brains from my severely demented 97 year old grandmother. Under his tutorship the club has gone backwards, we’re playing the most pathetically boring football ever seen by man and even inflation has spiraled out of control. He’s failed to deal with Ronaldo, the invasion of the Ukraine and global warming. It’s no coincidence that the World’s oceans have warmed up to record levels during his reign. And he’s Dutch. I mean, feckin Dutch!! The most evil & incompetent people to walk the earth. Mind you, they did invent total football and counter pressing. In fact the Dutch are the tallest people in the World, are blind and eat cheese. Ten Hag is one of the World’s premier cheese makers and his cheese are some of the most critically heralded cheeses on the planet. And he told Sancho to feck off, he says errrr a lot, runs 10km and rides bikes. He’s United the squad behind him a regularly organizes wife & girlfriends swapping parties at his mansion in Cheadle. He’s the most influential person from Twente ever to set foot in Manchester and fought the 6 day war almost single handed. He discovered gravity, electricity and the Amazon. He even knocked out Joe Joyce in the third round this Saturday whilst running a World record in the women’s marathon the next morning. He’s clearly the greatest manager the World has ever seen. And it’s Eric ten Hag, Eric ten Hag for me. He’s by far the greatest manager, the World has ever seen.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Why Højlund? He has played what, 150 minutes of football so far this season? If anything, he needs as much time as possible on the pitch so he can really gel with the team. He's 20, he's not in need of a rest after so little playing time. He just got back from summer break and then a month out.
He's just got back from an injury and started three games in a week, might be worth giving him a breather before the next load of must-wins.

erikcred

Given the number of his former players we've brought in, the squad rebuild is clearly designed around him. This group has been picked for ETH, by ETH. Makes no sense to get rid of him this early based on what we've seen (and have yet to see). Can't trust our powers that be to always act rationally but handing this freshly assembled team over to a new manager so quickly would be silly.
Aaand this is where the club senior management stand up and go "Hold my beer".

city-puma

So many people using Ange as example how manager can implement his style straight away, you never learn do you? Let's get back to great Ange after half a season or something. I saw this about so many managers and people never learn.
We never really know or predict. At least, Pep and Klopp did it after a year. However, Pep got the unlimited support in everything one could get. Under the Glazers, it’s not the case. Three major signings per year, remember?

Yakuza_devils

100% behind the manager. As many had said, we are in the 5th manager post SAF. The problem is not the manager. Even Pep or Klopp will struggle here.

We need to look at the people in the board especially the DOF. Then, the lazy and toxic players culture in the club.

Changing manager will just bring us round and round.

Rista

As many had said, we are in the 5th manager post SAF. The problem is not the manager.
As opposed to 99% of other clubs who have had as many if not more manager changes during this time? Is the success of City and Liverpool over the years due to giving manager time or are they still in job because of success?

Yakuza_devils

As opposed to 99% of other clubs who have had as many if not more manager changes during this time? Is the success of City and Liverpool over the years due to giving manager time or are they still in job because of success?
You just quoted two club with very good football structure supporting the manager. For Liverpool, their rebuild is now taking shape and start to play excellent again.

JuriM

Some Italian teams fire 3 managers in a season - do you want that?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
100% behind the manager. As many had said, we are in the 5th manager post SAF. The problem is not the manager. Even Pep or Klopp will struggle here.

We need to look at the people in the board especially the DOF. Then, the lazy and toxic players culture in the club.

Changing manager will just bring us round and round.
Not sure what's the point in taking any stand, it's never players vs managers vs board. It's a team and all of them have pros and cons, it's not like we have SAF or Pep in charge and we can take any side blindly.

It's not managers because we have 5th manager post SAF but what about players? Every one of them had their own starting 11 and they are achieved success and failure at different levels.

Changing manager is not a problem as long as we have people with clue on building the squad and identifying the manager who can play better football.

Yakuza_devils

Not sure what's the point in taking any stand, it's never players vs managers vs board. It's a team and all of them have pros and cons, it's not like we have SAF or Pep in charge and we can take any side blindly.

It's not managers because we have 5th manager post SAF but what about players? Every one of them had their own starting 11 and they are achieved success and failure at different levels.

Changing manager is not a problem as long as we have people with clue on building the squad and identifying the manager who can play better football.
100%. The key question is the board need to have a clue on what they are doing. If we simply change manager we will end up in the exact same situation after 2 years.

cyberman

But we don’t so it is a problem.

Revaulx

Agree with this, but right now there are signs that the board has formed an alliance with the manager to fight the culture of entitlement that has taken hold of some parts of the dressing room.