Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tarrou

He just looks like a normal person. Why does having a 6 pack mean you'd be a better footballer? it's all for show.

If he was carrying significant weight then yeah sure he could be effected, but not in that shape. Ironically that picture is after the best form of his life.
It's not about being a better footballer

it's about him being out of shape

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm sorry, but he's probably at around 15% bf in that specific pic, that is not normal for a top tier PL footballer, it just isn't. Please show me one Liverpool, City, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc. starter, especially a full back, in that sort of shape. He clearly does not eat well, and probably doesn't train as hard as he could either. This isn't really a questionable thing, consistently throughout his Utd career he has been visibly more fatigued towards the end of games than other top level fullbacks, even when 'fully fit'. It's indicative of his attitude, I don't even see how this is questionable at this point. I severely doubt he is eating completely clean calories to hold on to that sort of fat, and having a poor diet can lead to increased levels of injury etc., it's pretty evident he could be doing more, and that doing more would positively impact his game.
You want me to show how the Asthmatic FC players look like? Don't you spot a problem? And the difference between De Bruyne and Shaw is around 1-2%.

Trex

I think food is related to what affected his preparation for this season.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just have this kind of body naturally just like Ronaldo is naturally slim, Ronaldo goes to the gym to add mass and not burn them. Shaw is the opposite, just like Hazard, Rooney, Brazil Ronaldo they're natural big boys and would be flat out fat if they quite active sport see Brazil Ronaldo .....it really has little to do with feeding habits.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Thought this was Ten Hag thread :lol:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just have this kind of body naturally just like Ronaldo is naturally slim, Ronaldo goes to the gym to add mass and not burn them. Shaw is the opposite, just like Hazard, Rooney, Brazil Ronaldo they're natural big boys and would be flat out fat if they quite active sport see Brazil Ronaldo .....it really has little to do with feeding habits.
Or Shaw, Hazard, Rooney have terrible feeding habits and Ronaldo doesn't. Which seems very likely.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I don't remember that, remember Tevez was out of shape at City but always used to work hard on the pitch.

I dont think so.
Are you having a laugh, just compare his chest to Shaw's weighty "breast". Or the love handles. If I go further, it would look like I'm pervertedly describing a woman.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He is very lean there, genetics play a big part in what your abs look like, that isn't even in the same ballpark as Shaw.
His chest looks very weird, must be because of all the stress because Pep didn't let him talk. Even here you can see how he tried his best not to open his mouth.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Are you having a laugh, just compare his chest to Shaw's weighty "breast". Or the love handles. If I go further, it would look like I'm pervertedly describing a woman.
Like this?

This is getting into weird zone. I don't think KdB has the body shape but that doesn't stop him for playing as he does.

Whenever Shaw's form is down, we hear this same 'Shaw, fat, pizza boy" all that.

Trex

Or Shaw, Hazard, Rooney have terrible feeding habits and Ronaldo doesn't. Which seems very likely.
See 19 year old Ronaldo to understand my point, I have the same body type were I struggle to add weight regardless of feeding habits, I can't get fat no matter how hard I try, credit to Ronaldo for building good muscle mass, but his fat percentage that comes naturally he never had that in him.
People just have different body types.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is very lean there, genetics play a big part in what your abs look like, that isn't even in the same ballpark as Shaw.
I remember there was some news on KdB putting on weight during covid time. Might be BS (with deceptive camera angle) but I remember reading that.

Revaulx

Luke Shaw gave a shit for about a 5 month period and got in shape. He hasn't been in shape since that period around 4 years ago.

Shaw needs to be sold and we sign a new left back.
He gave a shit because he had LvG on his case. LvG realised that Shaw was a talented player who lacked personal discipline, but that the high maintenance needed to keep him on track was worth the effort. Jose wasn’t that sort of manager, and Ole was too nice.

I think there’s a chance that ETH will realise the same. Six years of getting away with a lack of discipline may of course be too long for it to be fixed, and I very much hope that the likes of Shaw will be binned off quickly IF they fail to take the chance they will undoubtedly (and rightly) be given.

Edit: Just realised that @Blood Mage said the same thing more pithily on the previous page.

phelans shorts

Many people are forgetting Shaw played the Euros with a broken rib if I remember correctly, so maybe that affected his preparation for this season.
Not only that, the photos weirdos are complaining about his rib has literally been taped up because of said broken rib. It’s actually hilarious how many people think that looking like a bodybuilder is important.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Not only that, the photos weirdos are complaining about his rib has literally been taped up because of said broken rib. It’s actually hilarious how many people think that looking like a bodybuilder is important.
Wayne Rooney still gets criticism for his looks despite being Manchester United and England's all time goal scorer. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He gave a shit because he had LvG on his case. LvG realised that Shaw was a talented player who lacked personal discipline, but that the high maintenance needed to keep him on track was worth the effort. Jose wasn’t that sort of manager, and Ole was too nice.

I think there’s a chance that ETH will realise the same. Six years of getting away with a lack of discipline may of course be too long for it to be fixed, and I very much hope that the likes of Shaw will be binned off quickly IF they fail to take the chance they will undoubtedly (and rightly) be given.
I don't think that there is any issue on the fitness side for Shaw, at least not one that is specific to Shaw, he is generally one of the few players that can run at the end of games, alongside Fred. For me the issue is that we bought a young defender that was excellent defensively and showed potential going forward but he hasn't really improved in any of these things, his technique and understanding of movement when going forward is the same as it was at 19 years old and defensively while he is generally solid he has the same instances of brain freeze which aren't usual but still too "common".

We do have a team wide issue with maintaining fitness though, it's been a constant since 2014 that the team is on its kness around late March early April after being on its knees in December. I will have to check it more carefully but outside of the covid season, we are not at our peak level during what is supposed to be crunch time which is worrying because that's when you are supposed to push for CL and also when you are facing the best teams in cups.

So with the covid season and the break, we are at 51.8% wins during the last 10 games of the last 8 seasons, we are also at 27.5% losses. Without the Covid season we are at 48.6% win and 31.4% losses.

MrSingh2002

are you Vince McMahon? Because he’s genuinely the only other person on planet earth as obsessed with other peoples bodies as you’re coming across
Majority of semi professional clubs demand a 12% bodyfat level as its the least they'd accept as a standard.

Luke Shaws been rolling around for 7 years with the bodyfat % of a fried Mars bar.

MrSingh2002

You cannot possibly know that. It is a spurious and unfounded opinion.
For anyone that's into body composition or strength and conditioning it's quite easily to estimate it based on which areas of the body are defined muscle vs fat.

Roughly under 15% you'll see an outline of your abs and your shoulders will be defined.

Roughly under 12% majority of your abs will be defined with your arms and chest being defined.

Under 10% you're shredded and most of your body should be defined and muscle vascularity is clear.

Luke Shaw has got away with fobbing off 5 managers including Pochettino at Southampton. All have questioned his professionalism at some point.

The problem is nothing but Luke Shaw and his professionalism. He's at best rolling around at 13% bodyfat and that was at his peak when he was in shape for 4 or 5 months.

MrSingh2002

Edit: Just realised that @Blood Mage said the same thing more pithily on the previous page.
Any other job or walk of life and Shaw would have been fired. Man United aren't a Charity that they have to give him another chance after 7 years.

Bin him and get a professional footballer in.

fezzerUTD

While consistently being one of the hardest workers on the pitch
Prime Rooney was no where close to the weight he finished his career on at Utd and he was gone and buried by 30. Shaw is overweight. Im slimmer than him and im overweight. If he lost some bf we would be alot better for it. Not saying he needs muscle as that needs more oxygen however he does need to lose bf.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You’re talking right out of your arse, to be fair.
You struggle to read. I don't know if you have seen Shaw, Rooney and Hazard currently/recently. They continue to gain.

Ronaldo is well known for his insane diet and thus good feeding habits.

Last edited:

Revaulx

I don't think that there is any issue on the fitness side for Shaw, at least not one that is specific to Shaw, he is generally one of the few players that can run at the end of games, alongside Fred. For me the issue is that we bought a young defender that was excellent defensively and showed potential going forward but he hasn't really improved in any of these things, his technique and understanding of movement when going forward is the same as it was at 19 years old and defensively while he is generally solid he has the same instances of brain freeze which aren't usual but still too "common".

We do have a team wide issue with maintaining fitness though, it's been a constant since 2014 that the team is on its kness around late March early April after being on its knees in December. I will have to check it more carefully but outside of the covid season, we are not at our peak level during what is supposed to be crunch time which is worrying because that's when you are supposed to push for CL and also when you are facing the best teams in cups.

So with the covid season and the break, we are at 51.8% wins during the last 10 games of the last 8 seasons, we are also at 27.5% losses. Without the Covid season we are at 48.6% win and 31.4% losses.
Oh I quite agree. The fitness of the whole squad has been crap for years. I do think Shaw is high maintenance, but don’t think it’s fair to single him out.

Interesting that you mention 2014 as the start of the poor fitness era. I didn’t particularly notice it during LvG’s time, nor even the first part of Jose’s. We’d got really lethargic by the second half of 17/18 though; Jose seemed to start coasting in the job after he’d got his new contract, and his attitude of course spread to the players.

2014 started with Moyes in charge. It’s been widely reported that he ripped up the gentle training regimes that SAF had put in place for injury-prone players (Rio and RvP especially), forcing them to join in with all the sessions, which effectively finished their careers. Maybe the higher-ups warned subsequent managers to go easy on the players?

Revaulx

Any other job or walk of life and Shaw would have been fired. Man United aren't a Charity that they have to give him another chance after 7 years.

Bin him and get a professional footballer in.
Depends on the manager. If he thinks spending the time and effort to keep high maintenance players on their toes, then good for him. If he thinks his time would be better spent doing other stuff, then yes, he should absolutely be allowed to bin them off.