Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 214 37.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 365 63.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Ahmer Baig

I'd say 5 or 6 of the first XI pretty much, then all of the expiring contracts etc. Can't all be done in one summer but I'm relaxed as I trust the man we've got in charge now and think the new rumoured structure is promising.
Exactly. Time for rebuild.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As much as we would like that to happen, its highly unlikely that it will be a major revamp for next year. We are not getting a brand new squad as everyone seems to think. He has to work with most of this lot over the next two years and it will be a slow build if anything. I just hope that he is capable of doing it and gets the full support from the board. I was optimistic about all our previous appointments, but as they say, Fool me once, strike one, but fool me twice? strike three!!!

Lets see how this goes.
It sort of will happen, just because of the large turnover we will have. 6 of the current senior squad will be leaving on free transfers (Matic, Cavani, Grant, Pogba, Lingard, Mata). After that, I anticipate around 2 or 3 undesirable players who are already on their way out will also leave (Martial; Williams; Pereira etc), and then an extra 1 or 2 who are sitting around doing nothing (Bailly; Henderson etc).

Once all that takes place, we will be left with around 18 senior squad players, weak in very specific areas. E.G. we will be left with 2 first team central midfielders; 4 wide attackers (two being Amad and Elanga); and 1 striker.

Some sort of rebuild will have to take place just for the sheer fact of replenishing how small the squad will be after all of those departures.

Farfetched

I am glad the new manager drift/saga is over. I am also very excited by the news. Let’s hope it heralds a new era of footballers who give s**t, try as hard as they can and most of all care about the beautiful game and not their PR image!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There's no chance the manager will have a say on the likes of Rashford and Maguire.
Not for the first season, agreed. But they're on borrowed time for the season after if they're still underwhelming under another manager.

adkb

Oh my god!! Someone who understands football and is on an upward trajectory is our manager? I request redcafe members to not ruin it for me. Please.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Im hopeful too. Just don’t want him to do a Moyes and turn up on July 1st without any prep work. Ten Hag seems to be the kind of man who would be as prepared as possible so don’t really see there being an issue.

He will do his due diligence, have a detailed plan and then match that against the actual realities ie evaluation.

Foxbatt

His first match will be a pre-season friendly against Liverpool on 12th July, so he will be in before then.
It's over 700 USD for a good ticket in this match. I was going to go but not at that price.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Absolutely buzzing for Ten Hag. The guy clearly has some class and authority about him. He needs to be given the freedom to reset the club - new coaches, new recruitment team, new fitness team, new players. It will take time obviously, but I am optimistic about the future of my club for the first time in a while.

Mihai

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...en-Hags-request-Steve-McClaren-assistant.html

Owners back at it. Ten Hag should be the one deciding whom he wants to work with. Stop pressuring managers to go with inept coaches.
Nothing in the article points to the fact that he won't decide who he wants to bring in.

United are not opposed to the move but would prefer Ten Hag to assess the current coaching set-up at the club before making a final decision.

Mihai

People desperately clinging to any bad news that comes out is exhausting. What is the point.
Negative news are taken at face value even though from shite sources and positive news are usually ridiculed. It's always been the case on redcafe afaik.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I might have misunterpreted you. You answered a post where Loon stated that we were in a worse position when Ferguson came than we are at this point. It appeared to me from your answer that you disagreed with that. If not, I bow my head.

I agree with you on the on-pitch attitude thing, whereas I think regarding the attitude as professional athletes, today’s squad are levels above, which is partly why Ferguson wanted a cultural reboot.

About capability, I think the players now are at a similar level ti the ones we had then. Which is borne out by the results they have produced under Atkinson/Solskjær.

Where I’m partly optimistic, is that the changes done around the structure of things at the club the past couple of years point to a more up to date way of thinking. The coming transfer window might be the first time we will see this in action, so let’s hope for the best.
No worries, both situations needed change and quite a bit. Both are projects not quick turnarounds.

Its a personal thing but I’d take a 7-8/10 player (an Albiston, a Duxbury (though both good Intls)) with an attitude on the pitch of giving every thing over Maguire, Rashford, Pogba any day of the week. Thats the attitude I want. Our squad may well be better athletes but we still have some who seem to be overly interested in advertising, creating brands, social media, politics. Do that when you quit football (or leave United… I don’t care then).

The departures, the transfer window, the promotion of youth (even if just as squad players initially) and the first few teams ETH puts out next season will tell us a lot.

Most excited I’ve been since Fergie left. Moyes was out of his depth, Jose lives for the short-term/cheque book, Ole out of his depth and had a bunch of babies to manage and Ralf stop gap.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Now all we need is a cringy video from adityared to seal his fate as a failure at Manchester United

always_hoping

Great to have this management saga at a end now and best of luck Erik.

To succeed the structures of the club need major revamping. how behind the scenes they do their transfer business, player contracts etc needs to be greatly improved. Recruitment will be key, bring in the right players that will fight tooth and nail for the badge is essential.

A lot of praise going towards Murtough, I'm not so convinced yet are some forgetting he's been at the club for years but anyone is surely a improvement on Ed Woodward.

choccy77

Manchester United sign a new manager......

Fred is the person called upon to represent all the players in the media :rolleyes:

bosskeano

let's hope this bald bastard learned something from the other bald bastard already in Manchester....finally might see football that gets us out of our seats again

McTerminator

This club has been hopeless for years.

However, for once this feels a little different from the usual cycle.

I think this is mainly due to the fact that rumours of an exodus are not watered down with comments from the incoming manager wanted to assess his squad.

RR is already here, he has assessed the squad and he is staying on to fix it. Thus ETH has completely bypassed the usual first hurdle.

This combined with ETH being a talented manager might actually give some cause for hope ladies and gentlemen.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Noticed a lot of rival fans are laughing him off and saying he’ll be worse then ole and that he won’t save us. That to me sounds like people are now actually scared…. I like the way he said he’ll develop a team capable of success. Don’t think any previous manager as said that when taking over.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He's probably one of the few safe from the chop and will fit Ten Hag's system to be fair, plus is there anyone you want to hear from?
Want to hear from Maguire… him saying ‘I’ve been in contact with the new manager and he’s going to start me because my performances have been good this season’.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No player should be safe from being booted out, give him full access to do anything he likes. feck these players, only De Gea for me stands out with any kind of substance from this season.