Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 649 44.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 806 55.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheReligion

Abusive
A lot were aggrieved by the treatment of De Gea too. There were leaks when he initially went about him being a big player favourite and the treatment being terrible
Ten Hag has had to make some big decisions (Ronaldo, De Gea, Maguire, Sancho)

Pretty much all of the forum backed him and welcomed the disciplinary style. Rashford was dropped for being late, Garnacho didn’t play much in pre season for similar.

Now here we are.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Ten Hag has had to make some big decisions (Ronaldo, De Gea, Maguire, Sancho)

Pretty much all of the forum backed him and welcomed the disciplinary style. Rashford was dropped for being late, Garnacho didn’t play much in pre season for similar.

Now here we are.
And here we will be in 18 months as the cycle endlessly repeats. At least the new TV money mean the Glazers are better off.

crossy1686

career ending
I think the writing is on the wall with these leaks this evening.

It also suggests the squad is somewhat divided over the Sancho situation which may have contributed.
It is, and it’s unfortunate but it’s been coming for a while now. You can’t go to war with multiple players and then have them remain at the club, Fergie would but they’d be gone almost right away, I guess there’s a time and place to pick your battles. I don’t think it’s just Sancho, the treatment of Maguire, McTomminay, Varane and De Gea hasn’t been great and will have ruffled feathers, especially as he’s brought in replacements who are not better than the players he’s tried to exile and then played them no matter what their form has been.

mu4c_20le

Was a really shortsighted move to force a player out like this. Same for Maguire.

Notice how Eddie Howe still kept Jamaal Lascelles as club captain, despite him losing his place. Lascelles comes back in and is completely onside - no issues caused.

Ten Hag embarrasses Maguire by stripping him of the captaincy, tries to force him out and get cant rid. It is lucky that Maguire is profession enough to carry on regardless, a lot of players wouldn't.

This manager has made a lot of dumb decisions and many have backfired. He doesn't have the credit in the bank, nor the status to start playing disciplinarian.
This is actually a very good point. I admit I was very happy to see the captaincy changed but it didn't look like it helped anything at all. Maguire ends up showing him up instead.

Frosty

It is, and it’s unfortunate but it’s been coming for a while now. You can’t go to war with multiple players and then have them remain at the club, Fergie would but they’d be gone almost right away, I guess there’s a time and place to pick your battles. I don’t think it’s just Sancho, the treatment of Maguire, McTomminay, Varane and De Gea hasn’t been great and will have ruffled feathers, especially as he’s brought in replacements who are not better than the players he’s tried to exile and then played them no matter what their form has been.
If and when ten Hag is sacked, we really need to sort out the sporting side of the organisation as others have said. We basically need a squad who are not overpaid and who collectively fit a style.

Then we can appoint head coaches who don't request 10 new players with contradictory playing styles be bought when they are given the job.

This has to be accepted as a multi year project, in the same way City prepared for Pep four (?) years in advance with backroom appointments.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think this is part of the issue yes

TheReligion

Abusive
This is actually a very good point. I admit I was very happy to see the captaincy changed but it didn't look like it helped anything at all. Maguire ends up showing him up instead.
You were also happy with the other decisions too I imagine? Ronaldo, De Gea.. Most were, including him disciplining Rashford, Sancho etc.

Issue is you either back him to change the culture or you don’t. The same applies with the club.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Whether he was good enough or not, I can’t back the players…ever.

It’s becoming more and more obvious exactly who has been behind the series of leaks going back 7/8 years too. Mr PR himself isn’t getting away with this no matter how good the new manager bounce might be.

As for Ten Hag, he’s doomed. Anfield is the place our managers get sacked traditionally, and it’ll be no different this year. If it wasn’t for the financial incentive, I’d call for him to walk before he’s pushed.
This either or thing doesn't work. It can be both. I'm sure actual football people coming into the club now will ensure all this farcical nonsense we've endured with players is over now. In this instance, the players haven't downed tools, however (Martial doesn't count, and Rashford is on some other shit at the moment), and running and training in a system that engenders belief that it can be successful come match time must be wholly different to a shambolic set up many people across the internet had earmarked to fail from the moment it was announced.

Players aren't stupid nor blind; they've been playing and running in systems since single digit age. They are going to know when a dud is before their eyes and even if they play along initially, disillusionment is bound to set in over time and numerous hammerings. They were near enough emasculated last game, humiliated and ran off the pitch playing in a system that didn't give them a prayer of competing. Are they going to be eager to go and run drills in that same system a couple of days later? Psychologically, it's going to take its toll, just as a good or great system buoys players and gets them eager to go out and execute it again as the endorphin high and feeling of being rampant coarses through them - you can bet Newcastle just got a magnificent hit off the pasting they've just given us, and equally, our morale will be lowered because it was a disgraceful outing. All these things are supposed to be catered for by good staff - the carrot should always be dangling in front of the horse or donkey (if you want).

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Exactly this. I think the varane falling out is probably what broke the camels back and the players are now calling him out for his poor man management

Statue of Limitations

January transfer window is around the corner, if ETH is to be backed, I expect multiple cut-price departures.
Would like to see him bring in a couple of his hand picked choices too.

Get rid of the lazy, bad eggs and bring in players that want to play for our badge and manager.
It's a fecking privilege to play at the biggest club in the world and at Old Trafford, some of our guys have forgotten this or just don't care.

crossy1686

career ending
If and when ten Hag is sacked, we really need to sort out the sporting side of the organisation as others have said. We basically need a squad who are not overpaid and who collectively fit a style.

Then we can appoint head coaches who don't request 10 new players with contradictory playing styles be bought when they are given the job.

This has to be accepted as a multi year project, in the same way City prepared for Pep four (?) years in advance with backroom appointments.
I think we, the fans, will be more inclined to give the manager a break when it comes to the recruitment side of things if it’s handled by a DOF. Right now, a big part of the flak Ten Hag gets is around his recruitment because he’s so bad at it.

mu4c_20le

You were also happy with the other decisions too I imagine? Ronaldo, De Gea.. Most were, including him disciplining Rashford, Sancho etc.

Issue is you either back him to change the culture or you don’t. The same applies with the club.
Why can't I back him last season but not this one? Most of the mistakes, like Maguire, De Gea, Sancho, Varane, Casemiro (?) are from this season. Not allowing people to change their minds is how cults get started.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why can't I back him last season but not this one? Most of the mistakes, like Maguire, De Gea, Sancho, Varane, Casemiro (?) are from this season. Not allowing people to change their minds is how cults get started.
Just feels a bit like when the going gets tough the tough get going..

You either back his decisions and disciplined style or you wobble and side with the players when the results turn sour.

Do we need a reset and change in culture? Like Arsenal when they moved on Ozil/Ramsey/Auba and stuck with Arteta?

Interested to know what people’s thoughts are.

ti vu

It also suggests the squad is somewhat divided over the Sancho situation which may have contributed.
I don't believe Sancho is the biggest cause for fraction of the squad. Sure Sancho has his mates. However, the Matic, Ronaldo which likely connect to the Bruno, Varane, Casimero, DDG... wouldn't back Sancho either on top of ETH's own signings, his players.

The turning point likely associated how DDG episode ended. DDG definitely needed to be replaced. However, giving DDG contract and agreed on it only to retract at last minute is poor form. Prioritizing Onana signing (the fee), while neglecting other area in the squad, only to not utilize Onana true ability with him making grave error and wasting the team effort last season to get into CL, does more serious damage to team morale than anything. Taking armband off Maguire, trying to sell him, only now to butcher Varane and start Maguire is another big blow. Sold Fred who despite his disastrous class performance in between, also had great performance. Replacing Fred with meek nothing special Mount, Amrabat or the goal threat exclusive purpose McTominay is another blow to the team morale. Suddenly there is burden on top of a friction heavy team. The guys who did help ETH last season reaching season objectives, now got the rug pulled under their feet of course wouldn't be happy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
:lol: Crossed a line? Jesus.

You should see some of the shit in the player performance threads. Anything goes in there apparently but no ones allowed to question the mighty Ten Hag.
It’s not about questioning the manager it’s the way of going about it. Every single manager in top flight football is basically in the top 1% in the world ability-wise. Nobody is a clown or a fraud. These are people at the very top of their profession and just because things don’t work out for them doesn’t mean they’re any of those things.

Frosty

I think we, the fans, will be more inclined to give the manager a break when it comes to the recruitment side of things if it’s handled by a DOF. Right now, a big part of the flak Ten Hag gets is around his recruitment because he’s so bad at it.
Without excusing the quality of the recruitment, this just underscores how badly we are run.

We appointed him with the following statement:

John Murtough, Football Director, said: “During the past four years at Ajax, Erik has proved himself to be one of the most exciting and successful coaches in Europe, renowned for his team’s attractive, attacking football and commitment to youth."

And then we have him 400 million and made him do a job he wasn't appointed for.

Robbie Boy

It’s not about questioning the manager it’s the way of going about it. Every single manager in top flight football is basically in the top 1% in the world ability-wise. Nobody is a clown or a fraud. These are people at the very top of their profession and just because things don’t work out for them doesn’t mean they’re any of those things.
Except obviously Steve Kean.

joedirt87

We don't want to train, we just want to have fun. Replacement has to be a vibes FC manager to coddle this group.

Frosty

You either back his decisions and disciplined style or you wobble and side with the players when the results turn sour.

Do we need a reset and change in culture? Like Arsenal when they moved on Ozil/Ramsey/Auba and stuck with Arteta?

Whether it is under ten Hag or the next manager, there must be a reset. We need many years and transfer windows to ship out the high earners and move to a lower wage structure. And that's before FFP comes knocking again in 2024.

mu4c_20le

I know what you mean, but he hasn't enough credit in the bank for me to keep blindly backing him. Arteta and Klopp showed glimpses of what they were trying. And while I backed ETH's discplining of Rashford last season (as well as the player himself), his handling of various issues this season have bene off the mark. And daft at worst.

ti vu

Without excusing the quality of the recruitment, this just underscores how badly we are run.

We appointed him with the following statement:

John Murtough, Football Director, said: “During the past four years at Ajax, Erik has proved himself to be one of the most exciting and successful coaches in Europe, renowned for his team’s attractive, attacking football and commitment to youth."

And then we have him 400 million and made him do a job he wasn't appointed for.
Disagreed on the bonded part. This is ETH own doing. He had some excuses that he did not get the help, but not the financial and mental backing/support from the passive Arnold and Murtough.

The way they allowed ETH to rid Ronaldo, DDG (retract an agreed contract) is not the same as Woodward.

crossy1686

career ending
I think you can definitely say that about players but managers generally get a break because they had a prestigious playing career or they have a mate who owns a football club. I’m not saying Ten Hag hasn’t earned the right to have his shot at managing a big side but there are many, many poor managers out there.

Oranges038

Yes.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

The writing is on the wall simply because of the consistent predictable losses.

Frosty

Disagreed on the bonded part. This is ETH own doing. He had some excuses that he did not get the help, but not the financial and mental backing/support from the passive Arnold and Murtough.

The way they allowed ETH to rid Ronaldo, DDG (retract an agreed contract) is not the same as Woodward.
I'm not excusing him from mistakes as a coach. My point is we appointed a coach to coach a squad and still gave him a load of money to undertake recruitment. That absolutely cannot be repeated again. If a coach wants the final say on signings, we should not appoint them.

Dve

I'm firmly in the give Ten Hag some time but Gary Neville and a lot of fan's points about Ange and De Zerbi getting their teams to play proactive progressive football is where my faith starts to stutter. As well as to your point, most of that newcastle team were diabolical before Howe got in charge, almost meme players and now they are playing some of the best football in the league. I would put the blame on Ten Hag but then I look back at the team under Rangnick, Ole, Jose and I see the same thing. The one constant is the players. Neville also made another good point which is LVG's team was the last team to have an actual stylistic blueprint a philosophy that you could see, however boring it was. The further we have moved on from players that were connected to Sir Alex the further in this malaise we have gone.

At the end of the day we can point fingers to Ten Hag but when your star player is a player like Rashford, when your captain is incapable of knowing when to tacticaly play conservative then you will not win any of the major honours and you will be this champions league yo yo team that we are.
That's not factual, is it. Young, Smalling, Pogba, Matic etc, etc. Ten Hag signed 11 of the current ones.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
January transfer window is around the corner, if ETH is to be backed, I expect multiple cut-price departures.
Would like to see him bring in a couple of his hand picked choices too.

Get rid of the lazy, bad eggs and bring in players that want to play for our badge and manager.
It's a fecking privilege to play at the biggest club in the world and at Old Trafford, some of our guys have forgotten this or just don't care.
What?! :houllier:

Robbie Boy

The writing is on the wall simply because of the consistent predictable losses.
The leaks are the death knell, but yes, he was under massive pressure due to our performances and results. I just feel he had far too much going against him this season, some of which was his own doing and some that was simply out of his control.

JB7

Absolutely.

ti vu

I'm not excusing him from mistakes as a coach. My point is we appointed a coach to coach a squad and still gave him a load of money to undertake recruitment. That absolutely cannot be repeated again. If a coach wants the final say on signings, we should not appoint them.
Yes. But only happens under a structure where DOF actually operate like DOF to take responsibility to recruitment. You don't expect Murtough to spearhead squad building when he's no experience doing, since Moyes did all the heavy lifting at Everton, and Murtough is only the paper guy for Woodward.

Big Ben Foster

Supports

Time + faith = Mikel Arteta

Oranges038

We've needed to bin off a fair few of these jokers for years now, but for some bizarre reason, they keep surviving new regimes. If ETH goes, Martial will be onto his 5th full-time manager, and 6th if we include Ralf :lol:
There are people who think Martial still has something to offer. The whole squad needs to be dismantled and rebuilt just like what Arsenal have done.

ETH might not be the man to do it as the evidence so far suggests. But feck it. I'd rather see guys on up to an above a 100k a week who are onto there 5th manager shown the door before him.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I'll make it simple for you:

ETH kick out players that don't want to play for him.
ETH bring in players that DO want to play for him.

Get it?? :rolleyes:
No, not at all. Indulging a manager and giving him carte blanche to sign whomever he wants is doubling down on failure. No serious club works that way nowadays.

Statue of Limitations

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Change the players, not the manager for once.

Robbie Boy

There are people who think Martial still has something to offer. The whole squad needs to be dismantled and rebuilt just like what Arsenal have done.

ETH might not be the man to do it as the evidence so far suggests. But feck it. I'd rather see guys on up to an above a 100k a week who are onto there 5th manager shown the door before him.
Yes, we definitely need to do what was done at Arsenal. Whether that's with ETH or not; we need to back someone to do it. Enough is enough at this point.