Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 618 47.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 677 52.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Revaulx

The latter is the bit that absolutely fascinates. There’s a few players that I suspect will look really good in a Ten Hag system given a bit of time, and already seeing them written off is fun. Of course those people may be right, but how many will hold their hands up if they’re not?

It’s going to be a very interesting (and not all good, let’s be honest) season while we see who can adapt.
Yeah I’ve really no idea who will make it and who won’t. Since I’m not a personal fanboy of any of them (but not a hater either) I just hope lots of them do, but I’m not bothered about which.

The only player I think will definitely improve from the off is De Gea, who many (understandably, to a degree) have completely written off. I’m of the opinion that a lot of his bad habits are the result of instructions he received from Jose that have lingered on.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just spare a thought that a year ago Ole could have been in his office making calls or pretending to do what SAF would while Carrick and Mckenna were coaching the first team.

If anything it's good that the drill looked so clunky, so when it finally does start looking right on the pitch there can be no doubt that EtH is a great coach. Time and patience is what EtH, his coaches and the players (yes them too) need. Things might be rough at first but in the second half of the season we will probably look much better, having had months of coaching from a team and individual level.
True that, I hope they keep showing us training drills over time as it'll be nice to see the improvements.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
OMG you can‘t expect players to execute a new drill after one week as well as players who have done it for many years.

Seriously. And, don‘t ever compare Ten Hag to Guardiola with his fecking sweaters again.
Exactly. I think that video is from Monday too and that was the first day back in training for most of our players.

I love watching these training videos. I hope the club keep putting them out.

Number TwentyFive

Fabio Cannavaro 1.76 and he would do nicely if he was 24, It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog
Yep class defender in Spain and Italy, never played in the Premier League, so I don't think that it tells you anything about suitabilities for short central defenders in the Premier League.

BTW I would love it if I'm proven wrong and if Martinez signs that he will become a great player for the club, but I still think there is a big risk with his height, and then why take chances with £40 mill + when there are other good quality central defenders out there like Josko Gvardiol or Pau Torres.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

He already needs a day away from them:lol:

SER19

He already needs a day away from them:lol:

They're off to Thailand Friday and i imagine will have to be in tomorrow. I suspect this would be pretty common for players going away on tour for weeks - with families etc

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Not sure if anyone's noticed yet but Uniteds training videos are delayed a day or two before the public gets to see them which suggests Ten Hag has them edited. Also there is a lot of muted audio when EtH is giving instructions. I kind of like this but I can imagine how it would annoy those used to instant gratification.

Watch this for example from today

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Who's in that group doing the drill at 4:20?

Lindelof/Fred
Rashford/Bruno/Shaw
McTominay/Elanga
Sancho/?
Maguire/Telles/?

I can't tell who's standing next to Sancho and who's got their back to camera standing next to Telles? Think the guy standing next to Telles is Dalot? But the one at the back looks a bit like Garnacho?

Swedish_Plumber

I’m excited for what he can bring to United.

However I feel like all the videos on Twitter etc are bit much. That’s his job- as Keane would say.

I think it’s fair to say that once we see it on the pitch then it would be time to hype him and the players. We’ve seen too many of these false dawns and misplaced hope.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Who's in that group doing the drill at 4:20?

Lindelof/Fred
Rashford/Bruno/Shaw
McTominay/Elanga
Sancho/PELLISTRI
Maguire/Telles/DALOT

I can't tell who's standing next to Sancho and who's got their back to camera standing next to Telles? Think the guy standing next to Telles is Dalot? But the one at the back looks a bit like Garnacho?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Never known a fan base as much as ours to take a shite on our own team at any and every opportunity.
Or I made a one off joke and you're associating me with others. Ever think about that?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Never known a fan base as much as ours to take a shite on our own team at any and every opportunity.
It's so tedious. Literally in any and every thread is some sheep taking a needles swipe at the club or specific players (who don't even play for th club anymore).

Absolutely no whit.

Revaulx

Not sure if anyone's noticed yet but Uniteds training videos are delayed a day or two before the public gets to see them. Also there is a lot of muted audio when EtH is giving instructions. I kind of like this but I can imagine how it would annoy those used to instant gratification.

I think they are absolutely great, and can’t wait for the next one.

Gator Nate

Nothing to do with ETH's capacity as a coach. I expect him to get his own players over time and phase out those that aren't compatible. Are you expecting him to turn Mctominay into Fernandinho? We could hire david blaine since you apparently think coaching is magic.
While maybe not Fernandinho, McT is definitely one of the players out there that I expect to see massive improvement. To my eyes, he looks like one of our players most in need of direction, and ETH will give that to him. With his attitude and physicality, I think we can see massive improvements in his game with just a little coherent instruction.

Last edited:

Greck

Your stupidity suggested there was no point coaching any of the players as they weren’t good enough. So this group of players didn’t play much better the 2 seasons before and didn’t finish 2nd in the league previously?
Oh but the players are so bad even coaching won’t help, so we might as well not bother.
No I explained my position a post after that. I didn't say there was no point. I said there was a positive correlation in training and talent. This is poor comprehension preventing you from jumping to sweeping conclusions and recognising nuance because that wasn't even close to the point of that statement. You just had to be patient and read the follow up post where I clarified but even that was too much. Some players won't make it even with training repetition, that much is a fact under any new coach. That's not to say we should cancel training till we've bought a new XI. edit

Last edited:

The Red Thinker

Not sure if anyone's noticed yet but Uniteds training videos are delayed a day or two before the public gets to see them which suggests Ten Hag has them edited. Also there is a lot of muted audio when EtH is giving instructions. I kind of like this but I can imagine how it would annoy those used to instant gratification.

Signs that we care more about the football than the bullshit.

Long Time Red

I wonder how long it's going to take the clueless clowns on here to realise our players aren't actually that bad and with proper coaching they can be a lot better than last season.

I think it will be so obvious from the first few performances it will happen quite quickly however I highly doubt they'll come on here and admit they were wrong.

wolvored

Just spare a thought that a year ago Ole could have been in his office making calls or pretending to do what SAF would while Carrick and Mckenna were coaching the first team.

If anything it's good that the drill looked so clunky, so when it finally does start looking right on the pitch there can be no doubt that EtH is a great coach. Time and patience is what EtH, his coaches and the players (yes them too) need. Things might be rough at first but in the second half of the season we will probably look much better, having had months of coaching from a team and individual level.
Thats what I have said. I think we could look similar this season to last season in the first half of it, but dont think we will be getting hammered. Hopefully you will see big improvements especially in the second half of the season.

tomaldinho1

Actually don't agree with that poster making the Ajax comparisons, but It's both easily with the effectiveness scaling higher with the level of talent. It's probably a positive correlation between the two variables. Repetition is key but you also can't just drop Lukaku in that drill and think it will yield the same effectiveness as if it were Firminho. There's a reason Pep binned half the team he inherited. Without the right talent the ceiling for silky one touch combination football will be very low.
Yes of course but the reason you bring up Lukaku is he’s such an outlier, if you grouped 22 random PL players together and split them into two teams - had one team train like United supposedly did under Ole and Ragnick versus one under Pep, we’d just all assume the latter team were naturally technically better when they played each other.

Brophs

The One and Only
I really hope this policy of buying Dutch-based players works out for him. Not many managers recover from getting the buying of multiple players from their former club/league badly wrong.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I really hope this policy of buying Dutch-based players works out for him. Not many managers recover from getting the buying of multiple players from their former club/league badly wrong.
I think De Jong and Eriksen would've been signed by many managers taking over United, but I agree with the others we're linked with. Makes me a bit nervous

LoneStar

I think Fred might be a surprise starter under Ten Hag. Bundles of energy, and he can play those quick tempo passed and one twos. If I remember right, Pep was interested in him as well. He needs to just wipe out the occassional (and sometimes frequent) lapses of concentration where he misplaces the ball. keen to see how he lines up if we end up signing Eriksen and FDJ too.

Also I am hoping Ten Hag has experience playing against defensive teams who park the bus. Feel like that was LVGs biggest problem with us. Did his Ajax team often have to play against parked buses?

LoneStar

I think De Jong and Eriksen would've been signed by many managers taking over United, but I agree with the others we're linked with. Makes me a bit nervous
Have we even been linked with a non Dutch or non Ajax player till now? It's bonkers! It does make me a bit nervous too, but hopefully it's just to help ETH with the transition. He would need players he knows who can instantly adjust to his tactics and everything.

Hopefully we diversify from this strategy in the subsequent windows.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Have we even been linked with a non Dutch or non Ajax player till now? It's bonkers! It does make me a bit nervous too, but hopefully it's just to help ETH with the transition. He would need players he knows who can instantly adjust to his tactics and everything.

Hopefully we diversify from this strategy in the subsequent windows.
I get wanting to help with the transition, but Antony and Martinez for example will cost somewhere around 100m. A lot of potential to go south

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, I was basically discounting them given their careers elsewhere. But the other three…it’s not unimaginable, given the hit rate of Dutch-based players, that all three could struggle, particularly early on. Buying that high up the market doesn’t lend itself to patience.

hobbers

The playing to the right foot stuff is great to see. Something we haven't put any coaching towards since probably LVG. Ole and McKenna didn't understand the importance of it at all based on how AWB, Lindelof and McTominay played game in game out.