Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 486 50.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 470 49.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Greck

It's true, it looks clumsy as f. I don't think all these players will make it even with coaching. If anything it might just expose them even further. This is a very difficult playstyle to pull off at the higher levels. Half of those layoff passes were wank. Training repetition won't fix a talent deficit. Talent wise we are probably among the most mediocre passing teams among top sides.

AndySmith1990

I reckon it might take longer than a week to transform them from being terrified of receiving the ball and not knowing what to do with it, to rapidly passing and moving like a top team. It's at least refreshing to see this kind of training happening

tomaldinho1

The difference is crazy :lol:
Proper zinging it into feet in the Ajax one. One of the few things Ole did which I rated was he (or Carrick) had us doing that kind of rapid pass to Martial’s feet when he had his good season because his touch was good enough to make it stick. That’s how you break teams down, ball speed and one touch football.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's true, it looks clumsy as f. I don't think all these players will make it even with coaching. If anything it might just expose them even further. This is a very difficult playstyle to pull off at the higher levels. Half of those layoff passes were wank. Training repetition won't fix a talent deficit. Talent wise we are probably among the most mediocre passing teams among top sides.
Yeah anyone who wants to shout about how this side is good enough to get 2nd a couple years ago just show them that comparison. Night and day and that had to do with technical quality not coaching or any sort of tactical view.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah anyone who wants to shout about how this side is good enough to get 2nd a couple years ago just show them that comparison. Night and day and that had to do with technical quality not coaching or any sort of tactical view.
TBF most of this is coaching. It takes time. United hasn't been used to quick intricate football, Ajax has been. Its not like they've always been loaded with brilliant players. You'll see the same players improve massively pretty quickly. Literally week 1 for most

dove

We definitely have some players in the team that are clearly not up to required standards but we can improve some things with training. It must be a huge difference for the players going from the "express yourselves lads" drills and tactics to quite literally a complete opposite and it will take time to see the effects of it. We don't need to replace the entire team, just need a few good additions in some positions and we will be fine.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Sweet Jesus. The Ajax lads will have been doing it every fecking day for years - it’s clearly his go-to drill. Oddly enough if you do it every day for years it gets quicker and quicker - that’s the point. This was day 1.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Yes it's almost like one team has been trained for it and one hasn't.

This is exactly what training is for.
One would hope that the players in all the years in our team have received some kind of training for combination play. They look like they never did.

macheda14

Here is a comparison of Ajax at the same passing drill. There's some work to do.
You introduce new drills to new players and it will take time for them to get it. We do need to improve but I don’t think it will take that long to reach that level. Also the Ajax drill has a fair few players hitting their passes too high.

Greck

Our short passing was actually wank back then. Most of the potency came from counters and route one long balls. If we had a coach like ETH the team would probably be different. The biggest barrier is we don't have good decision makers. Look at 00:20, Rashford comes in and almost immediately makes the most atrociously inaccurate pass in the entire video. Camera pans away but you can see Elanga having to chase it.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I hope he implements his style of play throughout the club, including the reserve and youth teams.
I think that will happen. When Murtough became football director he made comments about wanting United to play a certain style of football from youth to first team.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think that will happen. When Murtough became football director he made comments about wanting United to play a certain style of football from youth to first team.
Would just make loads of sense really. We could do a lot worse than copying his Ajax model in some areas. Having the young lads learning these sort of drills would also make the transition to the first team way easier if they're aready on the same wavelength in terms of style and what is expected. Just as Ajax does,

city-puma

This needs time for muscle memory and understanding of each other. I would imagine it takes two months to becoming instinctive and intrinsic part of every player. If we have double sessions in most of preseason workday, it is about 40-80 sessions.

C3Pique

One would hope that the players in all the years in our team have received some kind of training for combination play. They look like they never did.
They look like they never did this drill before, which they probably didn't. I'm all for shitting on our players' technical abilities, but to criticise their ability to do this exact drill for the first time as smoothly as a team that's been doing it almost daily for a couple of years is just silly. If we were doing it like the Ajax players after one week there would be no point in doing it every session beyond that would there?

NorthBraxton

Watching him in training and how he handles the media, he has the same charisma as Klopp and Guardiola. Love to see it.

The_Dark_Knight

This is what I'm always saying.

It's clear that our squad haven't had high grade training for the past four years. There's a reason why our players have regressed, both as a squad and individually. And that reason is because our manager simply is not a top class manager.

I am starting to get SAF vibes from ETH. I just hope he has the same humble and personal skills as SAF, as those traits are what made him stand out from his peers.

Reactions: Cheimoon

tomaldinho1

I’d argue it’s 99% coaching. Take City’s squad and put them through 2 years of vague training drills and non targeted technical work and they’d regress beyond recognition.

There’s very small margins at the elite level but the biggest variable is how effective training sessions are.

criticalanalysis

It's only videos but this is exactly what we've all been looking for post Fergie. A proper coach and trainer.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think it’s brilliant he’s so hands on. Looks a quality drill. I reckon this team will surprise many of the naysayers next season, fundamentally we need proper coaching more than anything else.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think it’s brilliant he’s so hands on. Looks a quality drill. I reckon this team will surprise many of the naysayers next season, fundamentally we need proper coaching more than anything else.
Fitness too. Our squad has been shocking in that department for ages.

Should be instant improvement from those two things alone.

Greck

I’d argue it’s 99% coaching. Take City’s squad and put them through 2 years of vague training drills and non targeted technical work and they’d regress beyond recognition.

There’s very small margins at the elite level but the biggest variable is how effective training sessions are.
Actually don't agree with that poster making the Ajax comparisons, but It's both easily with the effectiveness scaling higher with the level of talent. It's probably a positive correlation between the two variables. Repetition is key but you also can't just drop Lukaku in that drill and think it will yield the same effectiveness as if it were Firminho. There's a reason Pep binned half the team he inherited. Without the right talent the ceiling for silky one touch combination football will be very low.

Red00012

Yeah Martial being 10 years younger is far more energetic and keen to press.
It’s funny how a loan move away from the club can make people forget a few years of how a player performed for us before that . It’s Martial’s attitude and laziness are some of the reasons he was sent on loan and why Sevilla was so quick to send him back.

WPMUFC

Whilst we look massively off it when it comes to passing I'd say that's an indictment of previous management and what they considered important. He's come in and set the standard, just look how involved he is compared to the past. He's letting his coaches coach and then making his criticisms heard, but then in another video spends time having a chat with Garner. The bar is so low that this normalcy is refreshing.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
To be fair Ajax have probably been doing that 2 years, we've been doing it a week.
2 years? :lol:
The academy players in that video have done this for 10+ years now, even the defenders and goalkeepers. It always amazes me that even the worst Ajax academy players have a very good first touch. That is what United also needs to drill into their academy players, it's just basic stuff, but it'll help the players improve a lot.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
2 years? :lol:
The academy players in that video have done this for 10+ years now, even the defenders and goalkeepers. It always amazes me that even the worst Ajax academy players have a very good first touch. That is what United also needs to drill into their academy players, it's just basic stuff, but it'll help the players improve a lot.
yeah I was just assuming it was during ETH's period hence the time frame. Anyway the point remains our players have barely been doing it a week. No wonder they don't quite look fluent yet.

NLunited

Scott McT is doing everything he can to ensure the ball is not passed to him.
Either he is doing that on purpose - in which case he should not be playing for any team.
OR he lacks footballing intelligence to make himself available for the pass, in which he shouldn't be playing for any team.
Can‘t be the second option, anyone can move out of a cover shadow.

He is clearly doing this intentionally. He is probably been coached to do it, maybe to create space for a long pass. I can‘t think of any other explanation.

TheReligion

Abusive
What coaching badges do you hold again?

TheReligion

Abusive
I reckon it might take longer than a week to transform them from being terrified of receiving the ball and not knowing what to do with it, to rapidly passing and moving like a top team. It's at least refreshing to see this kind of training happening
Strange to see all the responses complaining. I’m exactly with you. He’s been here a week and is just starting to implement his methods. Anyone with a brain would surely understand they aren’t going to be at the same level Ajax were given he was coaching them for 4 years.

The take home is surely positive looking at how we are now being coached yet some seem to be disappointed and confused why we haven’t mastered it.