Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 434 48.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 464 51.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Meaningless game but it was important to get off to a good start. Bow lets see how long the players actually care and work

cabbs1989

Meaningless game but it was important to get off to a good start. Bow lets see how long the players actually care and work

Honestly comments like this annoy me, it’s a positive good start why add the comment at the end, no one literally knows what’s gonna happen, negative fans are the worse

RedorDead21

Can only do so much with what we have but what we have (if ronaldo stays) is enough to fight for that 4th spot. Proven last year and many before from Christmas onwards how that spot is really not that difficult to achieve if you show any level of consistency. A well drilled team with our level of talent should be in the running. If we can add his first choices then he really has no excuses not to get us back into a CL place.

A-man

Yeah, but their A came out against our 15-minutes-tired B. And we held them scoreless while adding another goal.
I’m just curious if they deliberately avoided having the best players on the pitch at the same time.

mctrials23

Got Moyes' vibe here. Winning useless trophy on very first game, but getting sacked before end of season.
You're getting Moyes vibes from winning the first pre-season game...

That is what people remember about Moyes the most. His defining moment many would say. A sure sign of strong parallels between now and then if I ever saw one :rolleyes:

I hope you are joking but I don't get any hint of sarcasm from your post which is worrying.

Mike Smalling

If there is two things we learned today, it is that Ten Hag is the best manager ever, and Nunez is the worst striker ever. Happy times.

Last edited:

Tavern in the town

Glad he mentioned we made errors because I thought our pressing, while energetic, was pretty shite in terms of execution. They sliced through us and got right at our backline very easily multiple times. Still, it’s only pre season.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
If we lost 4-0 there would have been a meltdown here.

We have a long way to go, but a 4-0 victory against the dippers is always good.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Didn't watch the game live on tv so I can't really know what our game play was like.

Anyone care to illustrate how the team played? You know Tiki Taka...

bosskeano

it's going to be vital for ETH to really continue working on the defensive structure and the defensive structure when pressing.....we've all seen Bruno and his tendency to roam or chase the ball which leaves gaps in the middle of the pitch. Donny did the same when he came on and they were able to find that open CM and it broke the press. Have to get them more structured and on the same orchestra as everyone else

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You will be able to see the team play his style in the first preseason game, and for certain on match day 1. They might not play it particularly smoothly, commandingly or consistently, but it will be visible.
And so it was. Top coach.

BarstoolProphet

Didn't watch the game live on tv so I can't really know what our game play was like.

First half:

Some kind of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

All of our forwards pressed high but not always in sync. Instead of standing next to each other, Fred and McT switched between playing deep and further forward. Fullbacks overlapping. De Gea actually sweeping (!) and passing calmly to teammates under pressure instead of hoofing it out for a throw-in. Overall significantly less misplaced passes, most noticeably from Bruno who was very intelligent (especially the first 30 mins).

Second half:

Same formation as the first half:

Hard to tell the tactics as we were very lightweight in attack (Amad, Pellistri and Elanga), the support (VdB) non-existant and Bailly running a solo show. But the double pivot of Savage and Iqbal were very good and more importantly press-resistant. Malacia average, but not helped by EtH playing Telles at CB next to him.

Overall early signs that passing is faster and team is more dynamic.

Best I could do as an armchair analyst.

Oh and besides Bailly absolutely destroying Nunez (and Thiago for the fourth goal), Sancho brought back memories of Joga Bonito commercials (albeit against poor opposition).

mshnsh

Can only do so much with what we have but what we have (if ronaldo stays) is enough to fight for that 4th spot. Proven last year and many before from Christmas onwards how that spot is really not that difficult to achieve if you show any level of consistency. A well drilled team with our level of talent should be in the running. If we can add his first choices then he really has no excuses not to get us back into a CL place.
Pretty much this same team without Ronaldo finished second in 2020/21. I believe we should atleast compete with Chelsea for the third place next season. That will set the foundation for more success since UCL is the biggest draw for most footballers.

City and Liverpool are still far ahead of everyone else currently.

Reactions: Cheimoon

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
First half:

Some kind of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

All of our forwards pressed high but not always in sync. Instead of standing next to each other, Fred and McT switched between playing deep and further forward. Fullbacks overlapping. De Gea actually sweeping (!) and passing calmly to teammates under pressure instead of hoofing it out for a throw-in. Overall significantly less misplaced passes, most noticeably from Bruno who was very intelligent (especially the first 30 mins).

Second half:

Same formation as the first half:

Hard to tell the tactics as we were very lightweight in attack (Amad, Pellistri and Elanga), the support (VdB) non-existant and Bailly running a solo show. But the double pivot of Savage and Iqbal were very good and more importantly press-resistant. Malacia average, but not helped by EtH playing Telles at CB next to him.

Best I could do as an armchair analyst.

Oh and besides Bailly absolutely destroying Nunez (and Thiago for the fourth goal), Sancho brought back memories of Joga Bonito commercials (albeit against poor opposition).
Thanks a lot, I rather read yours than read that rubbish piece on the daily mail.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
At least he doesn’t shit himself playing out of the back and has a bit of athleticism
He couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag ffs. Maguire is easily the best English CB which he’s proven over a long period. Again, one season doesn’t make the player.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He's not thai. He was the pre match entertainment; a Chinese singer named Jackson Wang .
Well someone needs to tell him that just going up to folk and touching their head makes him seem like a total wang ker.

croadyman

Loving the fact he kept highlighting mistakes when giving that post match interview like Guardiola often does.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

We controlled the ball well in first half but didn't make too much outside of Liverpool's mistakes. Took our chances really well, Sancho and martial looked confident. They cut us open a few times but missed all their chances / hit the posts a couple of times.

Second half we sat very deep and defended well, got a couple of good breaks. More like how we played over the last few years.

NoPace

Big takeaway was that De Gea actually played like a modern keeper in terms of sweeping and passing. Good to see.

croadyman

He seems a very driven character and personally think that can only be good for us in the long term

Superman123

Supports
Ajax
Glad he mentioned we made errors because I thought our pressing, while energetic, was pretty shite in terms of execution. They sliced through us and got right at our backline very easily multiple times. Still, it’s only pre season.
He took 6 months at Ajax and Utrecht to get the players used to the system. Pressing like that is very very hard. Players have to be connected by "wires" and move simultaneously.
He is a long term coach that will melt hits playstyle into the hardwire of the players. That takes time. Atleast the players enjoy having some structure.

Paul_Scholes18

I think he is a great manager that can win us the league, but he needs the right signings and some time.