Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Infra-red

Missed today's game, but just catching up on the highlights.

Must say, I like what I am seeing this preseason.

Tony247

Quite incredible the difference Ten Hag has made in 2 weeks, can't wait to see what we will look like in 6 months!

I shudder to think what we'd have looked like had Rangnick been given the job permanently like some were asking for.
Imagine Poch got the job!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We've been woefully undercoached for years. Its been obvious to see. Is there any surprise that Ole and his coaches made us look undercoached compared to Klopp/Pep, and now Ten Hag? Your manager and coaching staff are the most important parts of a professional football team. Get that right, and you'll be ok.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I love how every player is playing for the team, like a team. Everyone's first instinct is to pick player in better position, it's fun to watch.

littlepeasoup

The thing that excites me about ETH (without getting too carried away obviously!) is how his coaching and tactical setup has the ability to unlock players like Sancho who was *okay* last season, but wasn't anything near what we'd seen of him in Germany.

New signings are important, but probably the most important job Ten Hag has to do this season is rejuvenate the players we already have, we can't have any measure of success without those members of the squad stepping up and raising their game.

OpenIntrovert

Wasn’t trying to make it into a Ronaldo bashing thread. Was talking about Ten hag and the way he’s getting us playing and the decision he has to make to get us playing this style of football.
I would say that if Ronaldo were to play, ETH will use him as the anchor point for the frontline attacks, where he will act as the "distractor" to bring in the other 2 forwards. He will also get Ronaldo to be last man for long balls, crosses or through passes to finish off the team's attack.

During defensive mode, he will ask Ronaldo to position slightly in front (middle) of the opponent CB line to reduce their chances of passing out, flanked by the 2 forwards covering between the fullbacks and CBs. If it is just 2 strikers inclusive of Ronaldo, then he will cover in between the fullback and CBs while the other striker will do the same for the other flank. This way, the pressing will be more effective.

Anyway lets leave the Ronaldo thing here. Unfortunately there are alot of people waiting to bash him even if your intention was not that.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Thank feck we got this Pep Guardiola is my idol before City post pep.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Finally a manager at Manchester United with authority and of a high caliber.

OpenIntrovert

The thing that excites me about ETH (without getting too carried away obviously!) is how his coaching and tactical setup has the ability to unlock players like Sancho who was *okay* last season, but wasn't anything near what we'd seen of him in Germany.

New signings are important, but probably the most important job Ten Hag has to do this season is rejuvenate the players we already have, we can't have any measure of success without those members of the squad stepping up and raising their game.
Agree. I like his abillity to understand and motivate the players. This will be key when rotation and injuries starts to come in.

I love how every player is playing for the team, like a team. Everyone's first instinct is to pick player in better position, it's fun to watch.
Same, I haven’t even noticed Bruno that much as he seems to have cut out those Hollywood balls :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Same, I haven’t even noticed Bruno that much as he seems to have cut out those Hollywood balls :lol:
He kept it simple all the time and kept the ball moving. It was good to see him play like that. No Hollywood passes at all.

OpenIntrovert

He is one of the best playmakers in the world currently. His only problem is that he can tend to go into "hero" mode when he feels the game isnt moving but with the players taking up the right positions, he no longer needs to go into that mode.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In all fairness, the front 3 is what we thought we were getting a few seasons back when we were trying to sign Sancho. Fluid, fast, movement, touch. ETH has upped the work rate. It’s the way forward…I have no doubts. Not necessarily with that specific personnel but that system. Players stepping in need the same work rate and ability to take the ball in tight spaces and find the right pass. In short, Ronaldo can get fecked. You can see why we were looking at Antony in this system.
Yep. Ship out Ronaldo, get in Antony.

Have Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Antony as the front 4 rotating.

Try to bring in another striker when we get the chance, but I think we need to load Martial with love and expectation and he will repay that.

As long as we get the defence/midfield sorted we will score plenty of goals.

always_hoping

I like the way he deals with the media, takes no nonsense, short and sharp answers. Give a stare if asked the same question a 2nd time

Boxes ticked for pre season thus far. Building fitness, team cohesion and getting the players integrated into the manager's philosophy

OpenIntrovert

I like the way he deals with the media, takes no nonsense, short and sharp answers. Give a stare if asked the same question a 2nd time

Boxes ticked for pre season thus far. Building fitness, team cohesion and getting the players integrated into the manager's philosophy
Ole can be abit sarcastic and blunt but ETH is like a army general who can drive the answers into you. Not since SAF have we seen a manager who can potentially create fear within the media.

reko

I think we can confidently enter games now not expecting to be spanked like last season. Seems like we have some semblance of plan of approach. Not since LVG days we had that. Long may this continue

mu4c_20le

Ole can be abit sarcastic and blunt but ETH is like a army general who can drive the answers into you. Not since SAF have we seen a manager who can potentially create fear within the media.
Must be a Dutch thing

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
What a breath of fresh air! Obviously we need to see how the players and staff handle adversity but all the noises coming out sound like the players are United. I really hope we can get rid of Ronadlo and get an understudy to Martial with world class potential and we are back to looking pretty set for the next while apart from midfield.

What a breath of fresh air! Obviously we need to see how the players and staff handle adversity but all the noises coming out sound like the players are United. I really hope we can get rid of Ronadlo and get an understudy to Martial with world class potential and we are back to looking pretty set for the next while apart from midfield.
Is Charlie McNeill a possible understudy to Martial or is he too raw?

NotQuiteManc

Screaming at our players while 3 - 1 up in a pre-season friendly, this is what we like to see.
I didn't watch most of the game, but managed to watch a bit. One time, his scream could be heard "[Insert name] what the feck are you doing?" I didn't quite catch who was it at the end of that scream. It was towards the end of the game, so could be one of the younger players.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I am watching 10/11 premier league years and it's amazing to see how far Liverpool were away. Blackpool did the double over them, Everton beat them in the derby and drew at Anfield. King Kenny lost his first game back. Looked all at sea.

In ten years they're the best team in Europe (apparently). Things in Football change and I feel we will be back sooner rather than later.

Trex

My word the player "you know who" would have been under Ten Hag.
It's really sad.