Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 416 47.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 459 52.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That would be madness. We sell our only actual striker and replace him with a winger?
Also, counting on Martial is the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing all over again, expecting a different result. It's been what 6,7 years now? Maybe Phil Jones will eventually come good, as well.
Couldn't care less. I'd rather play Phil Jones up front than give that sulking mercenary another ego stroke.

red thru&thru

He was also screaming Amad Amad, run run... this was during a counter attack around 85 mins. Noticed Elanga started sprinting on the other side as well
Yeah, I heard this one. Amad almost gave up. That prompted me to write in my United WhatsApp group that he'll be moved on. You can just imagine EtH would have been screwing at him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't mean to bash Ole but the difference in having a manager shouting instructions from the technical area during the game as opposed to sitting in the dugout watching the game on an ipad and staying quiet no matter what is huge.

Love it.
Totally agree, the modern day player needs a screaming psycho on the touch line and finally we have ours:drool:

BlueHaze

They need to land all of his asked targets this summer. Tactically this is a manager that will improve things drastically not only with his tactics but also his demands from the individuals. Cannot afford to let him head into a season without backing him properly. Left back, Martinez and Christian on a free is nowhere near enough. He can 100% succeed here but if he's let down on the market who knows what happens...

RORY65

I predict that Man United will finish higher in the table than Liverpool this season.
I'd be surprised if anyone got near the top 2. We're a long way off right now, there are still big gaps in the squad, so even competing for top 4 will be tricky but pleasingly we've finally gone and got one of the best coaches in Europe so hopefully we can move in the right direction in the coming seasons.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
“DAVID WHAT THE FECK ARE YOU DOING!??” Love it.
He doesn't like DDG.
He is not alone
:lol::lol::lol:

Love this
That’s quality!

I bet these are the old habits ETH is referring to. ETH would probably always expect de gea to pass to the full back or someone in the backline in order to retain possession. De Gea just resorted to old habits of lumping it (which often come straight back at us). We’ve conceded so many goals from unforced errors by our defence/GK.
Old habit is hard to die. De Gea must have some sort of PTSD.
So relatable.
Yesss, we’re here to play football
It's 'Charlie'... He left his man and aimlessly ran forward instead of dropping deep to give DDG an option.

Ibi Dreams

Thank you Ten Hag for making me excited about United again. Still tempering expectations and I'm sure there will be ups and downs, but at least for now we've got something to look forward to

OmarUnited4ever

I'm really impressed with what I've seen so far, but I think some are getting a bit carried away. He's got us passing quicker and got some actual running off the ball happening with the forwards. We are pressing in a reasonable way but we will still potentially be found out by better teams.

That's why I'm not getting carried away, because Erik has managed to get across probably the simplest pattern of play he had in his armoury. What I understand he was able to do with his Ajax team was to be able to adopt 3 or 4 different formations within a game to keep the opponents guessing and vary his approach.

We might be lucky and it may take a while before a team figures us out, or it could be the first week if we are unlucky. Either way it's important to keep in perspective any early defeats or setbacks. Right now I'll settle for good spells of play, good interactions and levels of intensity and effort from the team. If those can continue and grow then we will get somewhere.

My only other concern is the fragility of mindset of some of these players who have shown promise under Erik but been very inconsistent before....eg Martial, Rashford etc. I hope they can maintain that in adversity as well as when receiving praise.
Excellent post.

we must not get carried away, Ten Hag has his work cut out for him, but the early signs are promising, my hope is that the players do their best and be resilient in tough times

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Love that ten Hag is so vocal when there playing and he screams at them! That is what we need… don’t think rangnick ever got of his chair did he? We look quality at the moment, it’s only pre season I get that but the signs are there and looking positive… this is without our new signings aswell. Bring back the good times… we have faith in Ten Hag!!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's gonna be such a meme now isn't it? CHARLIE :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's 'Charlie'... He left his man and aimlessly ran forward instead of dropping deep to give DDG an option.
Dunno why you're quoting me, I don't care who he was yelling at

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Gotta love everyone trying to use this as a dig against DDG. :lol:

Our fan base really is strange.

Wan

Not sure whether people who actually think this say it because he's English. He's clearly the worst CB at the club and he's not fit to wear the shirt. No reason to think he's better than our other centre backs. He's so bad that his continued presence in the team has created issues within the squad. Shite player and EtH's comments suggest that he will be dropped if his performances don't improve pretty quickly.
Shite player but ETH still give him the captain armband and play him as first choice? Right..

hobbers

Don't mean to bash Ole but the difference in having a manager shouting instructions from the technical area during the game as opposed to sitting in the dugout watching the game on an ipad and staying quiet no matter what is huge.

Love it.
And no coincidence that all the best managers do it. Fergie, prime Mourinho, Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte.

hobbers

Quite a number around here who are obsessed with this nonsensical idea that all the top teams must have Pirlos in goal. Even though none of them do.

Every top keeper in Europe boots the ball like De Gea did there in that moment, nothing was on and no one was open. You dont even have to hear him scream Charlie to know ETH was obviously not angry with De Gea there.

Elcabron

And no coincidence that all the best managers do it. Fergie, prime Mourinho, Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Conte.
Absaloutely. A good sideline presence also influences or pressures the ref. Just like with all those managers you listed.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Quite a number around here who are obsessed with this nonsensical idea that all the top teams must have Pirlos in goal. Even though none of them do.

Every top keeper in Europe boots the ball like De Gea did there in that moment, nothing was on and no one was open. You dont even have to hear him scream Charlie to know ETH was obviously not angry with De Gea there.
Yup,

I was having a similar conversation earlier on here regarding McTominay.

It seems the Caf has its scapegoats and will hold that select few responsible for any mistakes no matter if it's not actually their fault.

DDG I guess falls into this category, despite him actually being relatively decent on the ball.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But there is a reason why Ole didn't do that. Because his mind simply did not work quickly enough to firstly understand and then convert that into a meaningful instruction.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

he was clearly talking to de gea and telling him charlie was the option for a pass so what the feck was he doing booting it long.

Aeryis

Yup,

I was having a similar conversation earlier on here regarding McTominay.

It seems the Caf has its scapegoats and will hold that select few responsible for any mistakes no matter if it's not actually their fault.

DDG I guess falls into this category, despite him actually being relatively decent on the ball.
Mate, McTominay is not a "scapegoat", he is shite. He is the main reason our midfield is shite. Not because he's a scapegoat, but because he's shite. He would not start for a single top 16 team in the premier league. Not as a DM, not as box to box (his so called 'true position') or as an attacking midfielder. He is shite. He is demonstrably one of the worst midfielders in this entire league. I'm not even going to talk about his lack of technical ability or positional awareness, the lad is literally afraid of the ball. Once again, people shit on him because he's shite not because he's a scapegoat.

The constant affection for this absolute nothing player is baffling.