Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 307 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 440 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

OmarUnited4ever

I think the Liverpool game showed everyone that the players are working hard for him, that much is obvious, but I still don't like the fact that the team can't control a game against anyone, let alone top teams, this might be due to the style of high press + deep line defending, but it's still a major issue that he is yet to fix, of course injuries to important players like Licha and Shaw, as well as Cas and Hojlund at times made it very difficult but he has to find solutions to issues, that's his job as the head coach.

I really hope this international break helps him to find solutions and perhaps Licha's potential return might bring significant improvement in the team's buildup, ball retention and possession that will facilitate better control of the game.

DSG

Sacking ETH to employ De Zerbi, Potter or even worse Southgate would be bonkers. Reminds me of Chelsea.
Since 2013 post SAF

Chelsea Trophies:
PL: 2014-15, 2016-17
FA Cup: 2017-18
League Cup: 2014-15
Champions League: 2020-21
Europa League: 2018-19

United Trophies:
FA Cup: 2015-15
League Cup: 2022-23, 2016-17
Europa League: 2016-17

There is no doubt that Chelsea has been more successful than United post SAF. Post Ambramovich, you could argue that they were more successful or at least on par with United even during SAF’s reign.

Stadjer

Since 2013 post SAF

Chelsea Trophies:

United Trophies:

There is no doubt that Chelsea has been more successful than United post SAF. Post Ambramovich, you could argue that they were more successful or at least on par with United even during SAF’s reign.
Wouldnt that be the fair comparison? Manchester United losing their most important person at the club and Chelsea losing their most important person at the club?

giggs-beckham

Clueless
ETH will not win us major silverware and have us punching at the top. But you all seem to be on the same page because of 1 rumor and 1 result.

Archi

Since 2013 post SAF

Chelsea Trophies:

United Trophies:

I know I'm nitpicking a little but post Abramovic and before Fergie retired, 5 league titles and 1 CL for United, 3 league titles and 1 CL for Chelsea. I think the extra 2 league titles outweigh whatever extra 2 or 3 FA Cups/league cups Chelsea might have won.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I know I'm nitpicking a little but post Abramovic and before Fergie retired, 5 league titles and 1 CL for United, 3 league titles and 1 CL for Chelsea. I think the extra 2 league titles outweigh whatever extra 2 or 3 FA Cups/league cups Chelsea might have won.
Especially considering we also got to another two CL finals, only losing to what is widely considered the best football team of all time with the greatest player of all time.

DSG

Wouldnt that be the fair comparison? Manchester United losing their most important person at the club and Chelsea losing their most
That’s cool. The analysis was post SAF, who is in my opinion the best manager ever. I don’t know… it seems to me he was such a force he counteracted the Glazers bad with his good.

But still, the original point was that he Chelsea chopping and changing of managers had a better outcome, or at least they did pretty well.

RedRocket08

For me though I can understand the papers and websites will write these things because as you say they have product to sell and your right sensational headlines sell. It’s more rational minded people believing the reports or reacting in an overall negative fashion. Even if it’s something you don’t like, why get so mad? Pundits actually spout nonsense now I believe as they get clicks and create attention. Mad times we live in. I used to like Serie A coverage back in the day. Felt football focused.

It’s weird you mention the press missing or ignoring the critical analysis from the manager. I think this links into criticism I’ve seen of Ten Hags personality too. It’s like if his not entertaining then it’s boring or irrelevant. Definitely Trump like fake news vibes :wenger: I prefer him being grey and successful!

In relation to good reporting or views I did see the comments about On

Yeah we’re definitely in the era of sensational headlines win and I believe that websites and pundits actively create controversy now for clicks. I can understand as they have product to see but it’s more folks reacting. We don’t have to believe everything that’s written and take it as negatively. Theres a lot of cliches used and little information given. Even there opinions when challenged seem to lack foundations at times.

It’s interesting that you mention the media ignoring when the manager makes constructive comments. I’ve seen Ten Hags personality criticised recently and I think this plays into it too. It’s like if the information isn’t delivered with ‘personality’ it’s fake news! Very Donald Trump :wenger:

I’ve seen Nedum Onuoha get some positive reviews in the media thread by some posters and I’ve watched Henry Winter in the past on the Tabloid show that was on Sky Sports. I appreciate the recommendations though and I’ll check out the Liverpool lass.
Yeah for sure, as fans it's wise to just ignore the noise around it and react to any decision on the manager after it's made. Seems to be how ETH seems to treat it too so that's good to see. In terms of the personality ETH depicts to the media (I doubt he's like that with our players), I think he is fine - That seems intentional too because there's no need to feed the press. I'm personally waiting to see if there's talk of Southgate to Pool now that Alonso is staying at Leverkusen :lol:

Borninthe80ts

Yeah for sure, as fans it's wise to just ignore the noise around it and react to any decision on the manager after it's made. Seems to be how ETH seems to treat it too so that's good to see. In terms of the personality ETH depicts to the media (I doubt he's like that with our players), I think he is fine - That seems intentional too because there's no need to feed the press. I'm personally waiting to see if there's talk of Southgate to Pool now that Alonso is staying at Leverkusen :lol:
I know asking for rational on a forum might be pointless but we can only try! Anyway I too actually like how the gaffer treats the media. No time for BS and he likes to put them in their place. Think this is why there’s not that much rational applied to our season by the press. It’s weird how there’s no Liverpool speculation even though his leaving and it’s all about Ten. Southgate > Alonso would be the spin :lol:

L1nk

Heroics against Liverpool for sure -- getting cooked by Brentford so far, don't look like a football team that plays any good or cohesive football at all.

Shark

@NotShark
He's just not the guy. How many times do these away fixtures have to play out before people realise that.

hobbers

Couple more games like this and I'll welcome Southgate in with open arms rather than repeat this mistake next season. At least we wont concede 20 chances a half against Brentford

Jev

We never build on good performances. Our true level is poor and we always regress to that after the odd good performance, even though people always convince themselves it’s a turning point.

Ludens the Red

I know it’s not half time and we may even get a result but honestly how does anyone with a brain cell watch this and then conclude with a straight face that the man in charge of this, is the right man to carry this team forward…

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He's just not the guy. How many times do these away fixtures have to play out before people realise that.
A team has to be good at something. Whether it’s dominating possession, pressing relentlessly, transitioning seamlessly, defending like stalwarts. Great teams are good at more than one thing. We aren’t good at anything. We are okay, at a few things, but bring nothing exceptional to the table in any department. With the amount of money, talent and time that has been supplied to the coach, that is just unacceptable.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Couple more games like this and I'll welcome Southgate in with open arms rather than repeat this mistake next season. At least we wont concede 20 chances a half against Brentford
Southgate won’t stop that from happening and we’ll be in a worse position with him. If we’re swapping ETH for anyone it has to be for a progressive coach… Nagelsmann

redshaw

The players can be up for it about once a month, I don't think ETH can get them motivated enough each week. Very hard to see us closing down 4th or even 5th.

When the occasion suits and him bringing in young players it seems ok but we're getting dominated in most games this season and have so few goals.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Genuinely embarrassing that there are so many fans of this club who want to keep this conman.

Atheist

No about we’ll be told that it was a wonderful first half performance in the post match press briefing.

Malone_Post

Cup fun against Liverpool aside, we’re still absolutely shite. Nearly two years in and we still can’t control games against the worst teams in the league.

How anyone can watch us and think ‘yeah I want more of this next season’ is beyond me.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We never build on good performances. Our true level is poor and we always regress to that after the odd good performance, even though people always convince themselves it’s a turning point.
I said after the Liverpool game that it reminded me of the home victory over Chelsea. People were salivating at the result but didn’t look at the performance. We could’ve shipped 3 or 4 to Chelsea on that day. All the warning signs were there. And lo and behold we got turned over the next match.

The Liverpool victory is the same. We won, yes. Lots of heart, yes. But they also could’ve been out of sight by the time we pulled back level. The performance was spirited, but also lacked quality and showed again how porous we are.

Today is that same performance but without the adrenaline of a home cup tie against our arch rivals. So we are watching the true iteration of us. Slow, ponderous, porous, and devoid of creativity.

Mike Smalling

I seriously question the wisdom of playing Dalot on the right and AWB on the left. How does it make sense? Dalot could actually be decent coming into that semi-central area from the left, because he is comfortable on the ball, whereas AWB is a trainwreck. Just stick him on the right where he is at least somewhat passable with the football. There are no real defensive concerns here that require AWB against a certain player.

It's baffling to me.

Roboc7

Back to normality, these are the performances which make you think it would be idiotic to persist with him next season.

hobbers

Southgate won’t stop that from happening and we’ll be in a worse position with him. If we’re swapping ETH for anyone it has to be for a progressive coach… Nagelsmann
Of course Nagelsmann or Amorim are the only valid candidates to manage us next season right now in my book.

But if you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between only ETH and Southgate... I'd happily take the bullet.

Adz_99

Another dire half of football.

I desperately want Ten Hag to come good but I just can't see it happening.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Honestly if he is the manager next season, I might just give the season a miss. Just look at the opposition we are playing and what they have done in the last 3 months and then see what we served up

Eddy_JukeZ

Biggest conman in sport.

How he's fooled so many of our fans is beyond me.

That 1st half performance was unacceptable.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Honestly if he is the manager next season, I might just give the season a miss. Just look at the opposition we are playing and what they have done in the last 3 months and then see what we served up
I mean that is your prerogative. It is slightly ironic given next season will be the first time in 11 years that we will be run as a football club.

Chairman Steve

You’d think after a result like two weeks ago, you’d think some momentum might build.

But nope back to normal. Shaw is the only notable absentee now and he’s not Paolo Maldini exactly.

AndySmith1990

We're consistently poor. We fluke our way to numerous wins we shouldn't and rely on luck to get us above midtable. All stats indicate we should be midtable. Beating a good team every once in a blue moon means feck all without any consistency. We'll be in exactly the same position next season if we stick with this inept manager